Home
I have two model 7's that I am thinking about customizing. I would like to see what others have done and how the projects turned out. Actaully at this point I am kinda disapointed in the model 7's as they are not a light weight as I had thought they would be. But, I have an open mind (some might say no mind at all). So let's see M and hear the stories behind them.

early M7 with 18.5" barrel, 7mm-08 parkerized and dropped into a Brown's Pounder. this came from the for sale board on another forum, and quickly turned into one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

and my WannaBees (colors patterned after Steelies Bumblebee). .223 on top and de-ribbed 673 in .350 on bottom. both with Jewell triggers and the .223 has had the mag box modified to take longer rounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
223AI started off as a youth rig,

[Linked Image]

223AI another youth rig

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

250AI started off as a 260

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Couple pics of my 7Shamwow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

223AI
what about the 308 your saving for me? grins
I only have pics of it with the factory 7mm08 barrel, none since it got the 308 tube.
this was a youth model .223 the kids used to deer hunt with until they outgrew it into a 7x57 and a Roberts. replaced the wood youth stock with a factory tupperware, had Mickey tune, bed, cerrakote in coyote tan and tan with black webbing stock for a walking varminter for Texas. Scope is a 3x9 Leup compact.

[Linked Image]
Don't know why i really like that one?
The first one belongs to my 17yr old Grandson. It is in 30BR and has 10 straight 1 shot kills to 225yds. He won't let me rechamber it.
[Linked Image]
The next one is the one I have used the past couple years.It is in 6.5X47Lapua.
[Linked Image]
The last one belongs to my 10yr old Grandson. It is chambered in 6X47Lapua. They moved to Virginia and he hasn't had an opportunity to hunt with it yet.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Butch
WOW is all I can say! Thanks Guys and I mean it. I am still kinda of the fence with the whole Model 7 thing. What prompted you to use the model 7 platform over a SA 700? What kind of weights are you getting with your model 7's.

Thanks Again for all the great pics

Doug

By the way mine are both stock and one is in 260 and the other is in 7saum. Both great cal's but I don't know if that the way I will keep them.
We picked up a couple of youth models for a song. Unless I got a screaming deal on one I'd run a 700 and never look back.
Butch, whose safety and bolt stop do you have on the 6x47?
nice catch toad, I didn't see that in the pic till you mentioned it
The safeties are by Dave Kiff at PT&G and the bolt releases are Anschutz.
Butch
Originally Posted by Steelhead
We picked up a couple of youth models for a song. Unless I got a screaming deal on one I'd run a 700 and never look back.

pretty much my view...I already had it.
350 mag, 21" Pacnor, short 1.75-6 Leupold, McMillan M7 stock, 7lb 6oz w/ scope.

Started out as a 300 SAUM which I liked just fine but wanted a SS 350 which no one made at the time. Started it just before Ruger came out with theirs.

I'd be plenty happy with one in 7 SAUM.

[Linked Image]
Nice looking rig! Who did the work? It looks like you have had it skeltonized? Why did you chose the 350 and not the 7saum?

Doug

Originally Posted by tkinak

Started out as a 300 SAUM which I liked just fine but wanted a SS 350 which no one made at the time. Started it just before Ruger came out with theirs.

[Linked Image]

Same for mine; snagged her for under 5 bills, NIB, after all shipping and xfer and such off gunbroker when they were liquidating a couple years back.

Otherwise a 700 would definitely have been in the works.

Was getting a bit perturbed as none of the loads it likes/liked were working a couple weeks ago. Then I realized the sun done shineth thru the rear scope mount, and the rear action screw was loose to boot.

so i bedded, shortened the rear screw a tad, and dabbed a smooch of loctite on the talley screws.

range day friday smile
good one armedferret

[Linked Image]

Sharp looking rig. What colors/percentages are the swirly? I would guess 50/25/25 medium gray, light gray and black?
ss 7 7-08 tefloned in a mickey stock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's the luckiest rifle I own....can take others and may not see a critter....Bring Purple and Bang-flop.....

George
I love that stock!
T'is purdy.
Whats the knife?
I remember once when my daughter left a big box of Crayolas on the back patio and the sun got to them. The inside of that box was a mish-mash kaleidoscope of crazy colors. Judging from his photos, I bet the inside of George's gunsafe looks the same way......
Little 7 (7mm SAUM)

[Linked Image]
Rancholoco,that SAUM is niiiiiice!I already have one in a BDL,and am thinking hard about another in a Model 7,"for my wife"! grin Monashee
Nice looking rig Rancho_Loco. What is the LOP on that one & what have you used to extend it?
That's some extra electrical tape around the butt.

I ordered a 14.25" pull from Mcmillan.

Specs:

Fluted barrel, bolt and handle work from Kampfeld
Mcmillan Hunter's Edge
Gre-Tan shroud and liteweight pin assembly
Rifle Basix trigger
Talley Liteweights
Burris FFII 3-9x40 w/ dotz

6 lbs. 12 oz. as pictured.

[Linked Image]

SHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!
what barrel is that?

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Little 7 (7mm SAUM)

[Linked Image]
Factory.

Shoots pretty nice.
That's a cool rig Rancho. IIRC it shoots light out @ 400ish too.
So you had the factory barrel fluted? and the bolt knob added?

It looks like mine with a nicer stock, fluted barrel and tac bolt knob, but mine weighs way more.

Doug
Yes, fluting and campfire knob by Kampfeld.

It does shoot the lights out..
Nice stick Rancho....I'd hunt it
we all have our moments. raising a Strongbow to that being the last of mine.

for a while, at least. grin
[Linked Image]

SS Model 7 6BR (began life as a .243)

Remington Laminated factory stock

#4 Douglas barrel

[Linked Image]

Model Seven XCR in .243 dropped in a McMillan Hunter's EDGE stock, ADL, weighs 6lbs 12oz with the DNZ mounts and the Vortex Viper 2-7.

One of Gene's..... cool cool
B+T....

George
red, purple, violet, blk, gray, yellow, blue, turquoise, olive, pink, grape, tan, white, brown, dark green, lite blue, burgundy, swirlies, camo, paint........ grin grin
Some think I'm nuts..... blushI do too....sometimes..... laugh laugh

George
OK, now I am getting real interested in keeping my model 7's. I really like the 7saum and the 6BR that I see here. Let's see what else shows up. Anybody using after market triggers and I see that clark98ut has the DNZ mount, how's that working out? Think I will try a set myself.
Originally Posted by GeorgeS3
ss 7 7-08 tefloned in a mickey stock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's the luckiest rifle I own....can take others and may not see a critter....Bring Purple and Bang-flop.....

George

Truly a rifle worthy of the title "Safe Queen". (I'll bet you've gotten a queer look or two when you've been spotted carrying it too. grin ) wink
Originally Posted by hornet7722
OK, now I am getting real interested in keeping my model 7's. I really like the 7saum and the 6BR that I see here. Let's see what else shows up. Anybody using after market triggers and I see that clark98ut has the DNZ mount, how's that working out? Think I will try a set myself.

i'm using Jewell triggers on two M7s. it takes a little work to modify the trigger opening in the bottom metal. had a Timney on another and had to bevel the lower front corner of the trigger to clear.
Originally Posted by JPro
I remember once when my daughter left a big box of Crayolas on the back patio and the sun got to them. The inside of that box was a mish-mash kaleidoscope of crazy colors. Judging from his photos, I bet the inside of George's gunsafe looks the same way......

I was just conjuring up a "special" McSwirly and thinking, well, when I get it and I don't like it, I'll just PM George. grin

I like George's stuff.
Ahem. Care to rephrase the last sentence?
[Linked Image]

Here's my 7SAUM.
That's snazzy. Custom shop AWR handle?
Originally Posted by Karnis
Ahem. Care to rephrase the last sentence?

*LOL* Bastage.

All the best,
Scott
hetrosexual
Originally Posted by JPro
That's snazzy. Custom shop AWR handle?

Actually I bought the handle from a member. It's a Brown. Karl did the fluting on the bolt & barrel.
Karnis, how does it shoot? what loads are you using?

Doug
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M7 7-08, EDGE Mountain Rifle stock, VXIII 2.5-8, talley rings, gre-tan pin & shroud, 6lbs 3 oz as seen...
Blargon, very nice. Like the grey with the stainless.
blargon, have you ever run some rounds across a cronograph with that gun? what load are you using?

Doug
I like the M7's.

Blued M7 action, 223AI, 21 inch stainless Douglas, 1/8 twist, cerakoted, McMillan Mt Rifle stock, Talley LW's, FXIII 6x42 LRD

From earlier today....

[Linked Image]
I love the picture!
Here's the Arctic M7

[Linked Image]
Nice!
What caiber is the Arctic M7?
Here's the Arctic M7

[Linked Image]

How'd you get your dog to lie in the water and hold his breath like that?
308 but in the picture it was a 7mm08.

Wuffs will do anything you want after you plant a 120grs in the cheerio.
you should send HSUS that pic. i bet they get a howl out of it.
blargon, have you ever run some rounds across a cronograph with that gun? what load are you using?

Doug

Started some load development, but got side tracked with a new .338 Federal and a Sako .260. Don't have my notes handy, but I remember it was promising...
how about some in a bansner/high tech?
(I know it's old but this is better than starting a new tread... right) smile
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
how about some in a bansner/high tech?
(I know it's old but this is better than starting a new tread... right) smile
Basner has my Model 7 building a stock for me. Gimme a couple month's and I will post it up for you nimrod.
I have a stainless 7 bedded in a Bansnar/HTS, but the stock is still baby blue and hasn't had the filled pin-holes sanded out yet. Yet being 3 or 4 years. 'Guess that I either need to finish that job and learn to like it or punt the parts that I don't love, the stock and barrel, and start over with other components.

Jeff
Not much custom about this one. Its pillar bedded in a Rem. synthetic stock. This is the older model, so it has an 18" barrel. Scope is a Nikon Monarch 2X8. I was getting ready to order a Jewel trigger for it, but noticed the post stating some trigger guard work was required. Was wondering what kind of work was required to fit it in?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by K22
I was getting ready to order a Jewel trigger for it, but noticed the post stating some trigger guard work was required. Was wondering what kind of work was required to fit it in?

you will need to "notch" the trigger guard a little on the inside of the guard in the area in front of the slot where the trigger goes. a small carbide burr or "barrel bit" in a dremel will do this nicely. the lower front corner of the Jewell triggers will contact the guard there otherwise.

i can post a picture of the mod if you wish.

Toad,
When you get time, please do. I think I understand what you said, but a picture would really help.

Thanks,
K22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have a stainless 7 bedded in a Bansnar/HTS, but the stock is still baby blue and hasn't had the filled pin-holes sanded out yet. Yet being 3 or 4 years. 'Guess that I either need to finish that job and learn to like it or punt the parts that I don't love, the stock and barrel, and start over with other components.

Jeff

Jeff,
What don't you like about the Bansnar? I'm thinking about getting one since I can get into it for about half what I can get into an EDGE for.
thanks
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Jeff

What chambering? Looking to sell?
I don't like to finish them and I figure that by the time you do finish them, the cost is within spitting distance of a McM and there are so many more options when you order a McM.

Jeff
The barrel is a 1 in 14" stainless Hart that has been bedded. I might sell the barrel and stock, but I'll use the action for something, sometime, maybe a 6BR.

Jeff
New pictures!!

[Linked Image]

nice...
Some more..

[Linked Image]

Good thing it's an "All Weather" rifle..

[Linked Image]
this one began life as a wood stock youth model .223....passed down between kids until they both outgrew it, then bought an adult tupperware stock from somebody here, sent it off to mickey coleman to be bedded, tuned, cerakoted and painted....and voila...my walking varminter. scope is Leupold compact:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Some more..

[Linked Image]

Good thing it's an "All Weather" rifle..

[Linked Image]
Nice! That's what mine looked like after bear camp this year.
Originally Posted by K22

Toad,
When you get time, please do. I think I understand what you said, but a picture would really help.

Thanks,
K22

sorry for the delay.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by K22

Toad,

Thanks,
K22

sorry for the delay.

Thanks for posting that toad. Nice photo too.

[Linked Image]
Here's mine in 7-08:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

From front to back:

-Hart #3 fluted by Hart finished at 21" with short shank and 11 degree crown, 1 in 9 twist
-Holland pinned lug
-Trued action done by gunsmith who builds competitive bench rest guns
-Second hole for rear scope mount drilled and tapped by gunsmith
-Bolt fluted and handle skeletonized by Karl
-Gretan firing pin assembly and shroud
-Jewell trigger at 2.5#
-RW Hart large bow ADL trigger guard for gloves
-High Tech Specialties stock pillar bedded for less than .001" movement when action screws loosened, finished ADL
-BAT allen head action screws
-Burris weaver mounts and ZEE rings to mount scope aligned in center of adjustment range
-Leupold 3x9 compact
-Thinnest available Pachmayer recoil pad

Weight was 6 pounds 6 ounces before paint with scope and mounts

It isn't blued steel and beautiful walnut, but for a gun for hunting and guiding in the Adirondacks it is pretty much perfect for me.

Frank

Nice stick, would only put lower mounts and a matte scope myself if any changes.

Range report?
Would do a matte scope but didn't have enough $$ left after the build for a new scope. Haven't had time for load development work yet but am shooting 41gr. of Rl 15 with Sierra Pro Hunter 140's that goes about 3/4". Good enough for the hunting season. Any available shooting time is spent hunting right now. Look forward to trying to get all that's available out of it. I expect it will make me a better shooter.
NICE fshaw.
I was leaning BDL for ease of change over but between you and clark98ut ADL is sharp.
That WILL hunt, if I got back into 7/08s I'd jump right to IMR4064 then Varget, under 140 Accbonds in Winchester brass w/good primers. That gun may do 1/2" or better w/tuning off bags, but in the field, you will do the same either way I am sure. Like to see pics when you bloody that rifle! I took one deer w/a M70 FWT PF model yrs back using the 140 Sierra over Varget, doe facing me about 30 yds in Tensas parish, swamp/bottomlands WMA, she did not go far, thankfully as Palmetto's hid everything and when I was on my way to her, found an arrow w/broadhead intact laying in a pile of bones, probably from the previous bow season. Someone shot that deer very close to where I was in my stand.

None the less, that Sierra ended up somewhere in the gut pile when it was skinned, as I never found an exit, and hoped it was in the rear quarter. Performed well so I am sure you will do fine. Penetration was not bad for a c/c at point blank - 2800 impact or so.
Here is a neat one guys, different.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197163894
My mod 7 in .350 mag:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like that green on green..
Never was a fan of 'all green' sniper/tac rifles, but that M7 is sharp, very nice in a classic BG round.
Instant boner !!!!!
Originally Posted by 65BR

That looks to be a model 700, not a M-7.
I am a bit of a green freak. My wife says that I even wear green all the time. I have a black matte Leupold 2.5-8x mounted on top, and that helps break up the dominant green.
The back of that receiver does look too long to be a mod 7 in that link. I agree with h0ok
I don't know, just saw it and passed it on, but if a 700, you guys have a good eye. It's def modified extensively so it looks much diff than either in OEM trim.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am a bit of a green freak. My wife says that I even wear green all the time. I have a black matte Leupold 2.5-8x mounted on top, and that helps break up the dominant green.

BTW, I DO like that rifle and it's paint scheme. Looks right in that config. Its some of the strange to me looking Tac Stocks that come in green that just doesn't turn my crank.

Your wife tired of green undies? Just kidding.
Originally Posted by fshaw
Here's mine in 7-08:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

From front to back:

-Hart #3 fluted by Hart finished at 21" with short shank and 11 degree crown, 1 in 9 twist
-Holland pinned lug
-Trued action done by gunsmith who builds competitive bench rest guns
-Second hole for rear scope mount drilled and tapped by gunsmith
-Bolt fluted and handle skeletonized by Karl
-Gretan firing pin assembly and shroud
-Jewell trigger at 2.5#
-RW Hart large bow ADL trigger guard for gloves
-High Tech Specialties stock pillar bedded for less than .001" movement when action screws loosened, finished ADL
-BAT allen head action screws
-Burris weaver mounts and ZEE rings to mount scope aligned in center of adjustment range
-Leupold 3x9 compact
-Thinnest available Pachmayer recoil pad

Weight was 6 pounds 6 ounces before paint with scope and mounts

It isn't blued steel and beautiful walnut, but for a gun for hunting and guiding in the Adirondacks it is pretty much perfect for me.

Frank

NICE piece here WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
Would do a matte scope but didn't have enough $$ left after the build for a new scope.

There a nice matte 3-9 Ultralight in the classifieds that be be right on that M7

ML
Boys, I'm a working man and spent all the money I had building the rifle. As a hunting guide who'll carry the gun MANY, MANY miles for every shot I get, I'll suffer along with the gloss scope (unless the guy in the classifieds would be willing to swap straight across). The well is dry for the foreseeable future. As a simple man I'm pretty happy with the rifle.
fshaw,
did you use the factory mag box, spring, and follower in your conversion to ADL?
does anybod know if a 700 ADL mag box, spring, and follower can be used?
thanks
I did use the factory mag box, spring and follower. I'm thinking of going to a Wyatt's box. This particular Model 7 never fed perfectly. It's as good as it ever was, but could be better.
I did use the factory mag box, spring and follower. I'm thinking of going to a Wyatt's box. This particular Model 7 never fed perfectly. It's as good as it ever was, but could be better.
My understanding(after talking to Wyatts),is that their mag boxes will not fit the Model 7,Model 700 only.Monashee
I've Custom Seven's in .378",.473" and .532".

Would go Montucky now............
I handled a Remington Model Seven with a 40X stock and
a Lilja .20 Tactictal barrel on it today. Stock was the
older thumbhole design.
Would rather a 700 there.............
[Linked Image]
Left to right are,Stainless 7 in 308 with a 22 in Mike rock barrel, Stainless 7 in 7 SAUM, Custom shop 7 in 300 SAUM, Mod 7 CDL in 350 Rem mag, and last is an older Mod 7 FS in 7-08.
Fine bunch right there brutha. What style stock on the .308?
Its a Lazzeroni style that I picked up a few years back on the Mcmillan special page for $200. I finally found a #5 Mike rock barrel from mike fletcher on here. Its not quite finished, its going to karl to get coated and then bedded.
MS & FS in 308

[Linked Image]
Nice, what glass you using on those?
German 1" Zeiss
I have two model 7's that I am thinking about customizing. I would like to see what others have done and how the projects turned out. Actaully at this point I am kinda disapointed in the model 7's as they are not a light weight as I had thought they would be. But, I have an open mind (some might say no mind at all). So let's see M and hear the stories behind them.

While not a true custom, here's mine.

M7 LSS with a 20" Pac-Nor barrel, chambered in .358 Win. It's my blacktail thumper. Boy, does it WORK! smile Not the lightest but I don't care in this case. Love this rifle. Have killed the bulk of my deer with it.

In the picture it has a Leup 2.5-8 on it, which was a nice setup. Now it has a Zeiss 1.8-5.5 in Talley's and I like that even better.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mod7Nut
[Linked Image]
Left to right are,Stainless 7 in 308 with a 22 in Mike rock barrel, Stainless 7 in 7 SAUM, Custom shop 7 in 300 SAUM, Mod 7 CDL in 350 Rem mag, and last is an older Mod 7 FS in 7-08.

Mebbe THE most compelling anti-Seven Post of All Time.

Though by accident,which do add all sortsa requisite flavoring............
GTH - I thought that was what they were wearing.

Jeff 0, my 7BR was .7 at 21", also Pac-Nor, but the SS action was in a Walnut Deluxe stock, likely about the same weight, portable, but steady, worked well. Found a note, it was 6.0 w/o stock, 8.5 w/4x Pro-Staff. Ironically a 7/08 700V chopped to 21" weighted 6.95 lb so the M7 was about a pound lighter in the bbl.

Alaska Custom Firearms - Remington Model 7 in .338 Federal: Trued & lightened, bolt spiral fluted, rifle basics trigger, Douglas XX 20 in. fluted barrel, back up peep sight w/ NECS universal front, Lone Wolf summit XL stock with Pachmeyer decelerator pad, Leupold VXII Ultra lite scope w/ long range duplex and Nitride finish. Just under 5 lbs. w/ scope.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Awsome rifle !
Stocks VERY light, what taper bbl? Did you not want to drill/tap a 2nd rear hole for the rear base like the later mfg. M7s? Or was that the only way to set up your peep?

Very nice little 338. How does it shoot?
The rear base is drill/tapped with two screw holes one is under the peep itself. Everything was done to get as light as possible.

It shoots very well. Federal fusions will print under an inch 3 shot groups and 185gr TTSX will do just a tad better at 2700fps. My buddies 15 yr old boy crumpled a decent little bull moose with it last year. Picture is stuck to gun holder.

I'm planning on building my own lightweight some time this year but going to go with a 700 action in 280ackly, hoping to get it down to under 6 1/2 pounds.
Lone Woof sucks,as do a scope you can Limbo beneath.

Paying for an eggshell,is false economy on lotsa levels..............
'Crumpled'....kinda sounds better than DRT!

I like it, the mount looked like only one rear screw being shot fwd over receiver.

Nice rig. Do you know the taper, or Muzzle O.D.?

Thanks.
Junk..............
Josh, Nice rifle. As a guy who carries a rifle a lot more than I shoot it, that rifle would be a fine piece to hunt or guide with. Might not be as pretty as some other safe queens, but to me it looks like a fine working rifle. I'm just a simple man, but it certainly isn't "junk" in my eyes.
You CLUELESS Democrat..........
Don't hold back now Big stick, tell us how your really feel about it. Its not hard to see why your so popular.

If you ever get up to Anchorage, feel free to stop by the shop and point out all its faults in person. Besides it would be nice to have an expert opinion. wink
Not being the expert that "BS" is, I'm sure I'm not qualified to comment, but.......... that is a super setup Josh. Not my preferred caliber, but the setup and weight is what I'm looking for.
You've got to be enjoying that rifle.
Very nice Josh
I think BS likes something that slings ICBMs. If most of one's shots are inside 300 yds, I cannot see much this rifle cannot do on any game, big moose and bear inc. if the hunter threads a decent bullet thru vitals. At modest speeds, even cup/core slugs can do an admirable job IMO.

Cartridge choice can vary whether one wants a Snipert rifle, (that's short for a Sniping Expert smile ) or if one understands they don't need...or want to shoot past common typical ranges.
That is a great* setup Josh! Really, what does the .338F give up to the .30 cal hunting rigs when used inside "average mans" hunting distances? I'm not a fan of the iron sights as far as looks are concerned but they sure would be nice to have when you get into the tag alders and other nasty [bleep] Moose/Bears enjoy running into to expire smile
© 24hourcampfire