Home
Posted By: todbartell Defiance Machine actions - 01/16/12
Anybody built on one? What are your thoughts?

Posted By: Toolelk Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/16/12
Top shelf
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/16/12
Just getting ready to send it off, but it is a very well made, and very smooth, and I really like the one pc bolt...
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Toolelk
Top shelf

+1
Originally Posted by Toolelk
Top shelf

I don't think GAP would be using them for their "inhouse" actions if they were not up to this standard.....
Posted By: FVA Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/16/12
Precision personified,IMO.[Linked Image]
Posted By: TMR Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/16/12
They build our receivers as well. Top of the line actions, smooth as silk, and they are great people to work with. The above pics are how they show up...polished and pretty!
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
I have a couple & they are very nice!!

Glenn & Jeff in the shop are great guys and will help with any questions you may have.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
They work for me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AKA, GA Precision Templar......I like them very much!

[Linked Image]

This one is a .260.
Hell of a nice pic!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
Would love one of these for a 264WM or a 6XC.....NICE actions!

Do they come with a regular bolt handle?
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
Art work that shoots.

dave
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob are you talking about the knob, as they have a few different syles and are threaded on..mine is the Tear drop and is one of the smaller ones!
Posted By: KDK Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
One of these days I want to do a tacticool/LR target rifle on a Defiance... 6.5x284, 6.5x47 Lapua, 7 WSM/SAUM/Dakota, something along those lines. They have so many different options, I'm having a paralysis through analysis situation.
Posted By: djp Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12

Most of the custom clone actions come with very ugly bolt handles - to my eye. About the only one I like is the Holland Tactical handle...but it does appear a bit long. Wish there was a bit more choice when it came to a more traditional looking handle.
Posted By: TiLug Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
FVA/Scenar - R&D Precision bottom metal? If so, any issues with feeding? Any additional action work needed for fit? BTW, very nice rig's/pic's...
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob are you talking about the knob, as they have a few different syles and are threaded on..mine is the Tear drop and is one of the smaller ones!

Ackleyfan, yeah I was looking for something a bit more traditional.I do like the looks of these actions though. They really are nice! I bet the rifles shoot.

So the knobs are all screw on?

I have a Bartlein 6mm 9 twist #4 barrel here and trying to decide how to roll...
Posted By: FVA Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by TiLug
FVA/Scenar - R&D Precision bottom metal? If so, any issues with feeding? Any additional action work needed for fit? BTW, very nice rig's/pic's...

Yes in my case. Feeds beautifully. No additional action work. Defiance's order form has a place for specs of the bottom metal,magazine,trigger, etc. you plan on using. If anything needs attention they will let you know. They have it down.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
The bold handles are part of the bolt body and the knobs are screw on.
If you knock the bolt handle off a Defiance action.
You have a problem.
For a chuck gun? Long or shot action?
Defiance Rebel single shot RBLP
20 MOA rail
Long Barrel tenon
700 tang.
Get the small bolt handle tear drop.
Open top mag cut out.

Art work that shoots.

dave
Posted By: FVA Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12

Give them a jingle. They are friendly, have many options, and are prone to please,IME.

Ackleyfan, yeah I was looking for something a bit more traditional.I do like the looks of these actions though. They really are nice! I bet the rifles shoot.

I have a Bartlein 6mm 9 twist #4 barrel here and trying to decide how to roll...

Yes they are screw on knobs, they have launched a new web page and do not have all the knob choices up yet,

I don't like big shifter knobs either, but the tear drop is not to big, It fits the action well!
Ackley/ FVA: Thanks guys!
I like an action that is solid across the top, this adds a bunch of stiffness to the action, defiance offers this but most guys cover over it with a picitinny rail. why not just buy an action where that is machined into the action, better yet why not also machine the recoil lug in, surgeon and bat machine both do this, but its probably going to add at least $250 to do it.

Yes they are screw on knobs, they have launched a new web page and do not have all the knob choices up yet,

I don't like big shifter knobs either, but the tear drop is not to big, It fits the action well!

+1. Good thing about Defiance is you can use there knobs and or Kampfeld knobs which screw on and fit very well. Lots of knobs to choose from. One of Kampfelds...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I like an action that is solid across the top, this adds a bunch of stiffness to the action, defiance offers this but most guys cover over it with a picitinny rail. why not just buy an action where that is machined into the action, better yet why not also machine the recoil lug in, surgeon and bat machine both do this, but its probably going to add at least $250 to do it.

An action with a rail adds additional weight that someone with a sporter rifle doesn't want or need, a recoil lug that is machined into the action is nice for a switch barrel rig but again it is not needed and adds to the cost considerably, both are nice features for a heavier weight rifle, and the action will be stiffer, but if you think your going to gain more accuracy with these two built in features, I think you will be dissapointed, just look at how well a Defiance,Borden or Bat will shoot without these features!
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/17/12
slg888,

I have seen your "tiger-striped" rifle several times on here, but I'll tell you what - its one of the nicest that I have seen anywhere!!!
I like those flutes!
[Linked Image]

My other .260 built on the Defiance/Templar "Hunter Action". This one is quickly becoming my favorite big game hunting rifle...

When I got my first rifle with a larger bolt knob, I too thought I wouldn't like it....I was wrong. I won't have a rifle now without one. For me it's about utility, not looks.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

An action with a rail adds additional weight that someone with a sporter rifle doesn't want or need, a recoil lug that is machined into the action is nice for a switch barrel rig but again it is not needed and adds to the cost considerably, both are nice features for a heavier weight rifle, and the action will be stiffer, but if you think your going to gain more accuracy with these two built in features, I think you will be dissapointed, just look at how well a Defiance,Borden or Bat will shoot without these features!

I don't think it adds that much weight, my gun with a #5 barrel and integral rail and lug still came out at 8#'s, which is heavy from some people, but if I dropped down to a #3 barrel or less again the weight isn't bad. again it depends on what you want the rifle to do. but we are talking custom actions here and if MOA is good enough maybe a factory remington 700 is too.

a theory here, what if a solid action top ie port style action, controls barrel vibrations better and possibly means the gun isn't as finaky to shoot different loads. look at the legendary accurate factory rifles, tikka and remington 788's both port style action, just a thought and a theory, no evidence to back it up. it sure is nice though to be able to pop a load development high power scope, defiance does offer a port style action I would love to check one out.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
If it controls the different vibrations in the action it could make a barreled action less finicky, and is one reason I believe customs are more consistant and shoot different loads to the same point of aim,and seem to shoot almost any load easily, but the top action builders run very tight tolerences, and with a top shelf barrel will shoot tiny clusters, so I think it would be tough to see the accuracy difference,but you bring up a good point!
I have my order in for a Defiance action and this thread isn't making the wait any easier.

Great info and guns guys.

ddj
What are you building?
I ordered a Defiance SA on a 308 Bolt face. I am going to use a McMillan Huntes Edge with a Benchmark Barrel Hill Country Taper at 24" to .650 at the crown. The cartridge is still to be decided.

ddj
You have picked some great parts no matter what cartridge you decide on...hang in there!
Thanks Ackleyfan!

ddj
similar to my build, Defiance 'sheep' action, Edge stock, Pacnor 23" ultralight brl, 260 Rem. Hope to have it done and in my hands by May

If I like it as much as I think I will/should, it likely won't be my last Defiance action custom!

thanks for the info guys
Anyone know what the wait time is for a defiance action
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
I think wait times are running about 60 days - not bad at all for a custom action built the way you want it!!
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
If it controls the different vibrations in the action it could make a barreled action less finicky, and is one reason I believe customs are more consistant and shoot different loads to the same point of aim,and seem to shoot almost any load easily, but the top action builders run very tight tolerences, and with a top shelf barrel will shoot tiny clusters, so I think it would be tough to see the accuracy difference,but you bring up a good point!

..... dont forget the long tennon
just like the br guns.....
Couple of extra threads never hurt a thing for controllong barrel finickyness

dave

dave
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I think wait times are running about 60 days - not bad at all for a custom action built the way you want it!!

ordered one in December.
Showed up today.

dave
Ok, maybe less than 60 days - LOL!!!!
ordered one in early November, but I'm up here in Canada. Gunsmith said 90 days usually
Posted By: FVA Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
Ackley/ FVA: Thanks guys!

wink
As an aside I'd echo what Pat/Scenarshooter said above regarding the bolt handle. I'm no fan of the big shifter knobs but,IMO, the Defiance handle with the tear drop knob in particular doesn't go over board and will make you realize a bit more handle is indeed a good thing.
Posted By: pointer Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

My other .260 built on the Defiance/Templar "Hunter Action". This one is quickly becoming my favorite big game hunting rifle...

When I got my first rifle with a larger bolt knob, I too thought I wouldn't like it....I was wrong. I won't have a rifle now without one. For me it's about utility, not looks.
Curious why you chose the DBM for that rifle? Do you find an advantage over a blind mag set up? I'm thinking I'd like a rifle just like that...mule deer too! laugh
I'd say the DBM was used to ensure reliable feeding of cartridges.

On the WSM's - this type of set-up is without a doubt needed for the rifle to feed properly!!

On the WSM's - this type of set-up is without a doubt needed for the rifle to feed properly!!

Spot on...
Posted By: SKane Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
Patrick,

Do you still have the 3hunnert WSM?
Gave it to a very good friend of mine....
Posted By: pointer Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12

Spot on...
Thanks for the info! I'll have something similar to that...someday.
Posted By: TiLug Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/18/12
FVA - Thanks for the info, been admiring the RAD TAC LATCH BM for a future build.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/19/12
I don't see any pricing or ordering information on the site. Do you have to call to order? What is the price for a long action .473? Just curious. I don't want to bother them with a call. Flinch
Posted By: FVA Re: Defiance Machine actions - 01/19/12
They work with their email very promptly if you don't want to call.
That might be the smallest deer I've ever seen you post, Pat. grin You live a blessed life out there in MT!

[Linked Image]

Defiance Machine Thinhorn action
Pacnor 23" 8 twist #1 contour in 260 Remington
McMillan's Hunters Edge stock
Rifle Basix trigger @ 2.25#
Leupold Vx3 3.5-10x40 B&C w/ m1 dial in Talley LW's

7.25 lbs scoped

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Been mainly shooting Nosler 140gr Accubonds with RL17 @ 2730 fps. Here's an average group, 1.3" @ 210y

[Linked Image]

Had it out to 516 yards so far, I'll take more pics and update as I get to shoot it more.

How do you like B&C ret with the M1?
Love your new 260!
works well. B&C is great for quick shooting 300-450y, M1 dial good for farting around at the range
Posted By: starsky Re: Defiance Machine actions - 08/03/12
If'n i was buying a custom action, it'd be a Defiance
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Defiance Machine actions - 08/04/12
Turned out nice...great blueprint!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Defiance Machine actions - 08/04/12
I like that! What's a "Thinhorn" action?
What's a "Thinhorn" action?

I'm pretty sure that is their Model Seven style action.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Defiance Machine actions - 08/04/12
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
What's a "Thinhorn" action?

I'm pretty sure that is their Model Seven style action.

I would guess whomever RMR is it's their signature action!
The Thinhorn is the slabbed version of their regular action I believe. It's a m700 footprint
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Defiance Machine actions - 08/07/12
Rocky Mountain Rifles.
© 24hourcampfire