Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Would love one of these for a 264WM or a 6XC.....NICE actions!

Do they come with a regular bolt handle?

Give them a jingle. They are friendly, have many options, and are prone to please,IME.

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob are you talking about the knob, as they have a few different syles and are threaded on..mine is the Tear drop and is one of the smaller ones!

Ackleyfan, yeah I was looking for something a bit more traditional.I do like the looks of these actions though. They really are nice! I bet the rifles shoot.

So the knobs are all screw on?

I have a Bartlein 6mm 9 twist #4 barrel here and trying to decide how to roll...

Yes they are screw on knobs, they have launched a new web page and do not have all the knob choices up yet,

I don't like big shifter knobs either, but the tear drop is not to big, It fits the action well!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ackley/ FVA: Thanks guys!

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/17/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like an action that is solid across the top, this adds a bunch of stiffness to the action, defiance offers this but most guys cover over it with a picitinny rail. why not just buy an action where that is machined into the action, better yet why not also machine the recoil lug in, surgeon and bat machine both do this, but its probably going to add at least $250 to do it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Bob are you talking about the knob, as they have a few different syles and are threaded on..mine is the Tear drop and is one of the smaller ones!

Ackleyfan, yeah I was looking for something a bit more traditional.I do like the looks of these actions though. They really are nice! I bet the rifles shoot.

So the knobs are all screw on?

I have a Bartlein 6mm 9 twist #4 barrel here and trying to decide how to roll...

Yes they are screw on knobs, they have launched a new web page and do not have all the knob choices up yet,

I don't like big shifter knobs either, but the tear drop is not to big, It fits the action well!

+1. Good thing about Defiance is you can use there knobs and or Kampfeld knobs which screw on and fit very well. Lots of knobs to choose from. One of Kampfelds...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I like an action that is solid across the top, this adds a bunch of stiffness to the action, defiance offers this but most guys cover over it with a picitinny rail. why not just buy an action where that is machined into the action, better yet why not also machine the recoil lug in, surgeon and bat machine both do this, but its probably going to add at least $250 to do it.

An action with a rail adds additional weight that someone with a sporter rifle doesn't want or need, a recoil lug that is machined into the action is nice for a switch barrel rig but again it is not needed and adds to the cost considerably, both are nice features for a heavier weight rifle, and the action will be stiffer, but if you think your going to gain more accuracy with these two built in features, I think you will be dissapointed, just look at how well a Defiance,Borden or Bat will shoot without these features!

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
slg888,

I have seen your "tiger-striped" rifle several times on here, but I'll tell you what - its one of the nicest that I have seen anywhere!!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I like those flutes!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

My other .260 built on the Defiance/Templar "Hunter Action". This one is quickly becoming my favorite big game hunting rifle...

When I got my first rifle with a larger bolt knob, I too thought I wouldn't like it....I was wrong. I won't have a rifle now without one. For me it's about utility, not looks.

Last edited by scenarshooter; 01/17/12.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

An action with a rail adds additional weight that someone with a sporter rifle doesn't want or need, a recoil lug that is machined into the action is nice for a switch barrel rig but again it is not needed and adds to the cost considerably, both are nice features for a heavier weight rifle, and the action will be stiffer, but if you think your going to gain more accuracy with these two built in features, I think you will be dissapointed, just look at how well a Defiance,Borden or Bat will shoot without these features!

I don't think it adds that much weight, my gun with a #5 barrel and integral rail and lug still came out at 8#'s, which is heavy from some people, but if I dropped down to a #3 barrel or less again the weight isn't bad. again it depends on what you want the rifle to do. but we are talking custom actions here and if MOA is good enough maybe a factory remington 700 is too.

a theory here, what if a solid action top ie port style action, controls barrel vibrations better and possibly means the gun isn't as finaky to shoot different loads. look at the legendary accurate factory rifles, tikka and remington 788's both port style action, just a thought and a theory, no evidence to back it up. it sure is nice though to be able to pop a load development high power scope, defiance does offer a port style action I would love to check one out.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If it controls the different vibrations in the action it could make a barreled action less finicky, and is one reason I believe customs are more consistant and shoot different loads to the same point of aim,and seem to shoot almost any load easily, but the top action builders run very tight tolerences, and with a top shelf barrel will shoot tiny clusters, so I think it would be tough to see the accuracy difference,but you bring up a good point!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have my order in for a Defiance action and this thread isn't making the wait any easier.

Great info and guns guys.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
What are you building?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I ordered a Defiance SA on a 308 Bolt face. I am going to use a McMillan Huntes Edge with a Benchmark Barrel Hill Country Taper at 24" to .650 at the crown. The cartridge is still to be decided.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You have picked some great parts no matter what cartridge you decide on...hang in there!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Ackleyfan!

ddj

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
similar to my build, Defiance 'sheep' action, Edge stock, Pacnor 23" ultralight brl, 260 Rem. Hope to have it done and in my hands by May

If I like it as much as I think I will/should, it likely won't be my last Defiance action custom!

thanks for the info guys

Last edited by todbartell; 01/17/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know what the wait time is for a defiance action

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I think wait times are running about 60 days - not bad at all for a custom action built the way you want it!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it controls the different vibrations in the action it could make a barreled action less finicky, and is one reason I believe customs are more consistant and shoot different loads to the same point of aim,and seem to shoot almost any load easily, but the top action builders run very tight tolerences, and with a top shelf barrel will shoot tiny clusters, so I think it would be tough to see the accuracy difference,but you bring up a good point!

..... dont forget the long tennon
just like the br guns.....
Couple of extra threads never hurt a thing for controllong barrel finickyness

dave

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,931
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.