Home
Posted By: primo Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
How long does it take to get a Rock Creek barrel? I ordered mine in Oct of last year. I have called twice in the last month and they tell me the same thing "almost finished." Just wondering if this is the norm.
Posted By: KSJohn Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
I got one in 2011 in .284, it was ordered in mid-April 2011 and arrived Oct. 17, 2011. They told me the had a bad run of .284 barrels that delayed my barrel. Seems most of the custom barrel makers are running 6 months or more right now.

What are you building?
Posted By: BBsteel Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
Thats not good news for me. I ordered in December and am still waiting as well. I know all those industries are slammed right now so I'm expecting it to be a bit longer yet.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
I think it depends on what you order. ROck's pet barrel's are .308 5R's, thats what they are known for. Mine took a little less than 3 months as did my McMillan stock! I was lucky
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
They do barrels for the military also.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by crittergetter
They do barrels for the military also.

All of the big barrel companies do military barrels. Some do them for the manufacturers also.
I love my one Rock Creek.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
I talked to Mike Rock last Friday about a 9.5 twist, .257 barrel that I'm going to ask Redneck to make into a nice 25-06. Rock said worst case 4 months delay.
Posted By: jwill350 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
My .257 Rock took about a year. My 6.5's have taken around 4 months.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
Talk to Paul and let him know how long your wait has been...and tell him to hurry his ass up!...Lol

My average wait time for a Rock Creek has been 12-14weeks.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
I was going to wait a bit to order...but you guys wore me down.

Order placed, for a 9.5 twist .257 barrel, #3 contour.
Posted By: primo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
They tell me every time I call all it needs is lapping and thats it. I thought the stock from McMillan would be the delay. I have all the parts ready to send to Robert Gradous. Thanks for the info guys.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/09/12
I'm only 6 weeks into a 6mm barrel build from Rock. I was hoping 12 weeks for it, we'll see.
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/10/12
I'm 10 weeks in on my 6mm tube. I would like it ASAP but if it takes 4-6 months so be it. I can wait.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/10/12
cry I don't want to hear this! My 1:8 twist 223 barrel is 'due' in ~4 weeks. We shall see... Hopefully it doesn't run too late and make me miss spring squirrel shooting frown
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/10/12
The 2 I ordered took 8 weeks. They was .257 cal. Guess they been busy lately?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/10/12
Barrel makers make 1 bore size in big lots. The do enough to cover their orders and a few extra. If you miss, it may be a good while before your bore size comes back around.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/10/12
This is on their homepage now:

Originally Posted by http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/
As of April 1 , 2012 we are no longer able to give lead times on barrel orders due to the high order volume we currently have, we apologize for the inconvenience.

I say good for them... but I hope this is for NEW orders and they are going to try to stick to times they quoted for past orders.

I'm already at 10 weeks from a quoted "roughly 4 weeks" from another supplier mad
Posted By: Ironworker Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/11/12
Buy a Brux bbl. I ordered two bbls two different occasions and they arived with in the day Iordered them. 1st was a 7mm 9"twist 8weeks 2nd was a 6mm 8" twist 10 weeks. Both makes are cut rifled bbls.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/12/12
ALL my ROCKS been 4-6 weeks!!!
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by Popapi
ALL my ROCKS been 4-6 weeks!!!

Well, you suck....grin
Posted By: Popapi Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/13/12
LOL!!!!
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/24/12
I talked to Rock just now, and they said they were running 25 caliber barrels next week.

I placed an order 9 Apr, so that's less than a month. Assuming I get one of next week's barrels, that is. Rock talked like I would.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/25/12
Called them yesterday, they'd probably get more done if we would all quit calling them grin, and 22 caliber barrels will run in a 'few' weeks.
So their 14 week estimate was about right on for me.
Posted By: Cocadori Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/25/12
They make good stuff. There is a reason there is a wait time.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/25/12
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Called them yesterday, they'd probably get more done if we would all quit calling them grin, and 22 caliber barrels will run in a 'few' weeks.
So their 14 week estimate was about right on for me.

Of course, I had a valid reason. grin My credit card was hacked and I "HAD" to give them the new number immediately. Didn't want to "HAVE" to wait to give it to them when they said the barrel was ready! I mean, they could give my barrel to someone else when my old credit card declined, right? Because they wouldn't, you know, call me first? grin

Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/25/12
Originally Posted by Ironworker
Buy a Brux bbl. I ordered two bbls two different occasions and they arived with in the day Iordered them. 1st was a 7mm 9"twist 8weeks 2nd was a 6mm 8" twist 10 weeks. Both makes are cut rifled bbls.

Brux refused to do a skinny stainless barrel. That's why I ordered 2 Rock Creek Mtn Rifle contour S/S barrels a month or so ago.
Posted By: Trevor60 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/27/12
My 12 week barrel took 9 months. 30 cal 5r palma. great barrels and worth the wait but i would have preferred that they managed my expectations a little better.
Posted By: primo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/27/12
Latest update barrel in finally lapping so it is no longer at their shop, that is done somewhere else. 6 months and waiting.

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/27/12
Are you saying Rock Creek doesn't do their own lapping?
Posted By: primo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 04/28/12
By no means, they just told me finally lapping is not performed at that location. I am not concerned where it is done as long as it meets their standards.
Posted By: BBsteel Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/04/12
My x-mas order was billed to my CC today. I'll take that as it's on the way. Now for the short wait at Beanland's shop for the .243AI to come to life.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/05/12

PN quoted me 18 weeks on a rebarrel I sent to them last month. Just to get more current wait times.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/06/12
Ordered one on Friday.20 weeks!
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/06/12
It took me a little ove 7mths to get my 20cal barrel. Well worth the wait, I paid 185$ shipped. Adam
Posted By: Buzz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/22/12
I ordered my .30 caliber barrel on December 27th and I've not gotten it yet. On April 12th, they said it would be a week.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/22/12
Mine was quoted 6 months and was 5 days.
Posted By: primo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/22/12
Still no barrel, called yesterday since no barrel has arrived in last two weeks, it was bent or something so by all means make another. Ship this Friday hopefully.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
As of today I'm 16 weeks into a 12-14 week order...
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
My order was placed 9 Apr, and no barrel here yet either. Also no charge to the card. frown
Posted By: Cinch Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
I've ordered several Rock barrels in the past and experienced same. I will never order another. They are great barrels and I love them but will no longer deal with them. If I can't find one readily available to purchase, I will choose another maker.
Posted By: FVA Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
Sounds like we need a Rock Whambulance for some.
If you need a good barrel, Mcmillan, or some other good stuff order it in a year advance knowing it will come when it comes.

There is a reason there is a wait.

Forget Rock barrels. Just makes it quicker for me.

Make sure to tout the next greatest on time maker on the internet and watch one or two years later as customers are going through the same thing touted here because everyone ran their way.

Rocks rock.
Posted By: jwill350 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
Yep.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
Any of the big barrel manufacturers (Rock, Krieger, Bartlein, & Brux etc....) have a wait nowadays - just accept it and be happy when it arrives!!

I am waiting on a Bartlein .30 caliber myself - ordered it in February and don't expect it till October even though I was told 4 months.
Posted By: Cocadori Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
Funny ... you order to send to a smith?

Your smith of choice doesn't have and "in" with a barrel maker?

Or a stock of barrels?

jus sayin
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Funny ... you order to send to a smith?

Your smith of choice doesn't have and "in" with a barrel maker?

Or a stock of barrels?

jus sayin

Not funny at all, as several of us on here have ordered all our own parts & then sent them to the smith of our choice. Robert Gradous's customer supplied component builds are a big success!!

Most smiths work will work with any barrel from a quality manufacturer - his work is more important than what name of barrel your using!!
Yep.. my point is..barrels makers will typically supply a smith before an "off the street customer". It is "bidness". Keep smiths in supply and they are more likely to recommend that makers barrel.

jus sayin
Originally Posted by FVA
If you need a good barrel, Mcmillan, or some other good stuff order it in a year advance knowing it will come when it comes.

There is a reason there is a wait.

Forget Rock barrels. Just makes it quicker for me.

Make sure to tout the next greatest on time maker on the internet and watch one or two years later as customers are going through the same thing touted here because everyone ran their way.

Rocks rock.

Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
My order was placed 9 Apr, and no barrel here yet either. Also no charge to the card. frown

That's why I'm not bummed much, despite the frown. I originally planned for this re-chambering after hunting season in November / December, which is why I ordered it in April. Two weeks ago they said they were running 25 cals and a barrel would likely ship "next week". Who knows--maybe it still will? Or maybe it won't!

I also just ordered a 30 cal Rock for the same time frame. Same contour, a #3.

Barrel makers are prima donnas, no? You call them and they say, "I'd love to make you a barrel. Our timeframe is six months to a year, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. We can't really say."

And like real prima donnas, everyone is willing to wait for them to do their work for the show. High demand, high quality.
Cocadori,

I understand what you are saying, but a smith doesn't always have the contour, twist, length etc... of the barrel you want. Yes he can order it for you, but you'll most likely wait about the same time to get it - it sucks but not much you can do when you're at the barrel manufacturer's mercy!!

This last barrel I ordered from Bartlein is a special order = its a Krieger #5 contour in a Bartlein .30 caliber, 1-11" twist barrel.
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Yep.. my point is..barrels makers will typically supply a smith before an "off the street customer". It is "bidness". Keep smiths in supply and they are more likely to recommend that makers barrel.

jus sayin

Whenever I use a smith I do ask who they prefer, and typically have no issue getting whatever they want. Smiths I have talked to have little preference.

However, I do like to order the components myself. That way I don't have to take up space in some smith's shop with a barrel, and a stock that takes another 4 months, or whatever. Right now I have a stock, barrel on order, and bottom metal on order. When all the parts arrive I'll send it along for work, unless it's close to hunting season.

And sometimes life, heart attacks, car crashes, fires, just plain "mis-placement" events happen. That could happen even if everything is in my workshop, but at least it's all in one place.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
What does the comment"just sayin" mean. I started The Barrel Mann Co. several years ago. I sold from 1000-1500 barrels a year. Guess what? I got in line like everybody else. Did the barrel makers love me,Yes, but they were honest enough with their customers that nobody lost their place in line. I couldn't offer my customers faster service, just a better price.
As far as stocking barrels, no way. Take 30 cal for instance-6-8 contours and about 7 different twist rates.

just sayin
Originally Posted by FVA

Still chuckling about this.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
I have never got poor service from Mike Rock and when I order barrels I do so in pairs.
Mikes 30 cal tubes are good to the point I don't consider using anything else. This is regardless of how long i have to wait. And his #3 contour is about perfecto IMO for a 30 caliber magnum.
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Cocadori,

I understand what you are saying, but a smith doesn't always have the contour, twist, length etc... of the barrel you want. Yes he can order it for you, but you'll most likely wait about the same time to get it - it sucks but not much you can do when you're at the barrel manufacturer's mercy!!

This last barrel I ordered from Bartlein is a special order = its a Krieger #5 contour in a Bartlein .30 caliber, 1-11" twist barrel.

Special orders are special orders.

"Bidness is bidness"
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
What does the comment"just sayin" mean. I started The Barrel Mann Co. several years ago. I sold from 1000-1500 barrels a year. Guess what? I got in line like everybody else. Did the barrel makers love me,Yes, but they were honest enough with their customers that nobody lost their place in line. I couldn't offer my customers faster service, just a better price.
As far as stocking barrels, no way. Take 30 cal for instance-6-8 contours and about 7 different twist rates.

just sayin

"Jus sayin" means I'm just saying my .02..might be right might be wrong.

BS... I can call a smith or 2 right now that'll have some of the more popular contours, twist rates in stock. I know of 2 that'll have not only that but from different makers as well.

Seems to be the people cryin' should have gone through the guy doing the work for them. More often than not works out better for everyone.
No crying here, just waiting!!!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/23/12
So if these smiths have a bunch of barrels, just buy it from them.
Posted By: Cocadori Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 05/24/12
If I were a smith I wouldn't sell. I'd wait for my customers to spec a build.

I call my smith tell him what I want and he builds it.

Had to wait one time for a special order barrel. Had to wait 1 week on the second build for a contour and this last time he had everything in stock.

Posted By: gene270 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/18/12
reviving this thread to see if anybody has gotten a barrel from them lately still waiting on a .257 blank

gene
Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/18/12
Placed a order with Mike earlier this week and 6mm tubes were coming up "shortly".
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/18/12
Originally Posted by woodsonchris
Placed a order with Mike earlier this week and 6mm tubes were coming up "shortly".

Let me know when you get it!

I'm still waiting for the 25 caliber barrel, order placed 9 Apr or so. Only 9 weeks so far.
Posted By: jwill350 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/18/12
I just got a 6.5 about two weeks ago. It probably took 6 months or more.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/19/12
Just ordered a #3 Brux in 30 cal from Bugholes.com. Great to work with and should have it in 7 days.

Bugholes stocks Rock, Obermeyer, Brux and Krieger. If they have what you need on the shelf, the wait is eliminated. Kind of a no brainer.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/19/12
I called to check on my order a while back and they had no record of it. They took my order and card info again and said I'd have it in a week cause they were just starting a run of 10 twist 30 cals. That was about a month ago and nothing yet. I'll try to call again but I haven't had much luck getting through.

I'm not too worried yet because my action isn't done but I do want to make sure they still have it on the to do list.

Bb
Posted By: primo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/28/12
A little update, still no Rock barrel, ordered Shilen 3 weeks ago came in yesterday. Hope they can get the problems worked out in Wisconsin!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/28/12
Didn't read whole thread, what barrel spec did you end up with?
Posted By: primo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/28/12
1:8 twist # 3 match grade 243
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/28/12
I talked to Mike on the phone 2 days ago to let him know I was going out of town for a couple weeks. He mentioned like the barrels would be ready around the time I was gone.

Do I believe the barrels will be ready to ship when I get home? It doesn't matter. I don't "need" either one until November. If I got one early I would send it up to Redneck to create a 25-06 for deer season, but it's not the end of the world either way.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/29/12
my buddy ordered a rock 30cal in jan and it still isnt there
Posted By: 30338 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 06/30/12
Bugholes is starting to get spendy for me. Just ordered a #4 Rock, fluted to finish at 26" with an 8.5 twist in 7mm. Should be here next Friday. Now to figure out if going 7mm Rem with throat for 180 bergers or Mashburn. If looking for a custom barrel, I'd check bugholes first to save the extended lead times.

The 30 cal Brux I ordered 2 weeks ago showed up with no trouble a week later.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/02/12
Got my tracking number!!!
When it gets here it will have been 27 weeks crazy

I talked with Mike a lot since May and it sounds like they've had some personnel issues that they are still trying to recover from. He's a nice guy and if this barrel is good to me I'd do business again but I may need to order earlier grin
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/02/12

I talked with Mike a lot since May and it sounds like they've had some personnel issues that they are still trying to recover from. He's a nice guy and if this barrel is good to me I'd do business again but I may need to order earlier grin

Good deal. What was it your building?

It's been so long I forgot what I ordered!!! 23 weeks for me, 6mm SS #2, IIRC.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Good deal. What was it your building?

#2 contour in .224 1:8 twist for a 223ai
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/02/12

Let us know how it shoots when it's all set up!

Sounds like I should get my barrel around...October, if the 27 week wait holds out.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/10/12
My arrived this week. I never expected a December order to take until August, but that's water under the bridge. Hopefully the rifle will be just what I wanted and worth the wait smile
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/14/12
My 23" 10 twist 308 rem varmint showed up a few weeks ago. It was about the same time my tac 30 aw was done. I was going to do a 22" 208 on the tac 30aw but ended up sending them a bartlien 6.5 8 twist to chamber in 6.5 creedmoor instead of the 308. Now I have the rock blank on hand and ready if I ever decide to do a 308.

Bb
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 08/16/12
[Linked Image]

#2 contour in .224 weighs ~3 pounds 2oz... we'll see what she weighs after installation
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/26/12
My 30 cal Rock barrel shipped yesterday, received by JKob for his work today. I think I ordered it in early May, but I didn't write down the date.

Still no word on the 25 cal barrel going to Redneck, but it will arrive soon enough also!

Both #3s. The 30 cal is for a 30-06 (Serengeti reamer), the 25 cal will be for a 25-06.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/26/12
Good deal Joel, I hope my 25 is done before too long. I ordered an Edge fill McM Hunter, Borden Timberline, and the Rock 25 around the 23rd of May. McM is already here and Jim called Monday to tell me the action is ready to ship. Just waitn on the bbl now.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/26/12
i finally got someone to answer the phone last week and they said my .257 barrel would ship last friday i dont think it did as i checked my credit card today and no charge as of yet
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/26/12
Looks like I'm at 30 weeks for my 6mm bbl. I just keep sending them an email to remind them I still want it. <grin> I might have screwed up though, I sent them $150 when I ordered it just to push it along. Hopefully they credited my account.......

We'll see.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/26/12
Took them only two weeks or so to recontour one of their 8 twist 5R rifled 6mm tubes from their heavy LV 2 contour to their nice slim #2 Sporter.

Only charged $40 too.
Posted By: RDW Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/27/12
My Rock #3 260 took two weeks at the most...thanks aalf smile
Posted By: aalf Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/27/12
Originally Posted by RDW
My Rock #3 260 took two weeks at the most...thanks aalf smile

grin

My last Krieger took a month....and it was in stock.....

Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/27/12
i ordered my #4 in late november and rec'd it jan or feb... that being said my friend ordered one and it took much longer and communication was bad
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/27/12
[quote=Lawdwaz]Looks like I'm at 30 weeks for my 6mm bbl. I just keep sending them an email to remind them I still want it. <grin> I might have screwed up though, I sent them $150 when I ordered it just to push it along. Hopefully they credited my account.......

We'll see. [/quote
I may have screwed up too. I paid in full with a money order. Still waiting....
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 09/28/12
Originally Posted by kenacp
[quote=Lawdwaz]Looks like I'm at 30 weeks for my 6mm bbl. I just keep sending them an email to remind them I still want it. <grin> I might have screwed up though, I sent them $150 when I ordered it just to push it along. Hopefully they credited my account.......

We'll see. [/quote
I may have screwed up too. I paid in full with a money order. Still waiting....

Dumb azz. <grin>

Misery loves company!
Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
McMillan stock has arrived. Now if this damn barrel would get here. Ordered at same time. 16-17 weeks and counting. 1-8 #2 243
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
You got the same exact barrel as me Chris.

What rifling pattern? 5R?
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i ordered my #4 in late november and rec'd it jan or feb... that being said my friend ordered one and it took much longer and communication was bad

Strange.

EVERY time I called Rock Creek I spoke directly with Mr. Mike Rock himself and he could not have been more helpful or informative.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
You got the same exact barrel as me Chris.

What rifling pattern? 5R?

Yup. 5R it is.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
Does Rock creek bills credit cards when they take the order, or when they ship? The last one I ordered was fast enough I didn't notice, but it seems it might be well into next year on last weeks order.
I've given up calling them, seems like a waste of time. Just rings.
Originally Posted by noKnees
Does Rock creek bills credit cards when they take the order, or when they ship? The last one I ordered was fast enough I didn't notice, but it seems it might be well into next year on last weeks order.

When i ordered they took my CC info but uncertain if they've billed it.
Posted By: chris84 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
They charge your card when they ship.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
Originally Posted by chris84
They charge your card when they ship.

Yep, just received one of the 2 barrels I ordered in late May and they did not bill me until the barrel shipped.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
I just ordered 2 Rock Barrels. A 6.5 1-8.5" twist and a 22 1-10". I don't mind waiting if they are quality.

ddj
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
I know I said I didn't mind a wait but I had to eat those words.

I kept in touch with them throughout the process and Mike always let me know what was going on. On one of the last calls I made he told me that the 6mm 5R barrels had them baffled. They weren't up to snuff and he didn't know why. After waiting a few more weeks with no signs of getting my barrel I canceled the order.

There's more to the story but I will just say that Mike Rock was very nice and sincere throughout the whole process. I really hated that it didn't work out because I really wanted a Rock 6mm 5R tube for my project. Chit happens I guess.
He told me the same thing on his 5R 6mm tubes.
He was completely forthright and told me he would talk to Paul about whether my barrel would handle the 115's which I intended to use in it. He called me back and said that since mine was an older production tube which I was having reprofiled from a LV-2 contour to a #2 Sporter contour they determined that my barrel would be great for my intended purpose.
Gotta love that type of service!
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/14/12
Is there someone at Rock that is making button tubes? I heard good things about his 22 tubes.

ddj
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
Yep, in a separate operation, Kim Theiler runs a button tube operation producing OEM grade barrels which sell for less than the cut tubes made by Mike Rock.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
I don't believe the button rifled tubes are available for sale tot he public.
I think she does sell them to the public when OEM or military orders slow down and allow excess production.
Posted By: aalf Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
I think she does sell them to the public

It'd be worth noting that Kim is a guy......
Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
Originally Posted by Nail

I kept in touch with them throughout the process and Mike always let me know what was going on. On one of the last calls I made he told me that the 6mm 5R barrels had them baffled. They weren't up to snuff and he didn't know why. After waiting a few more weeks with no signs of getting my barrel I canceled the order.

There's more to the story but I will just say that Mike Rock was very nice and sincere throughout the whole process. I really hated that it didn't work out because I really wanted a Rock 6mm 5R tube for my project. Chit happens I guess.

I wonder if I should order my 6mm else where?
Originally Posted by aalf
I think she does sell them to the public

It'd be worth noting that Kim is a guy......

DOH!!!
Posted By: BWalker Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
I think she does sell them to the public when OEM or military orders slow down and allow excess production.

Not according to their website, but I could be wrong.
"These barrels are only available for sale to firearms manufactures-no retail sales"
http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/barrel-info/oem-production-barrels/
Got a live person on the phone at Rock Creek. I was told that my 1-8 6mm #2 is done and in hand. I should receive soon. Ordered June 15th
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
Got a live person on the phone at Rock Creek. I was told that my 1-8 6mm #2 is done and in hand. I should receive soon. Ordered June 15th

Is it a 5R tube?
Yes sir.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
Just got off the phone with Mike Rock. He is sending me my 6mm 8t within a week.It will be a 4grove and not the 5R.
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/15/12
.308 5R ordered on 4/20....and 5 months+ it still hasn't shipped..... shocked shocked cry

Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/16/12
Just got off the phone with Mike Rock. He is sending me my 6mm 8t within a week.It will be a 4grove and not the 5R.

Why 4? Curious.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/16/12
Can you guys stop calling him?..less time on the phone...more time in the shop. I would like my barrels before March smile
Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/16/12
Originally Posted by noKnees
Can you guys stop calling him?..less time on the phone...more time in the shop. I would like my barrels before March smile

Don't worry, they dont answer the phone.
Posted By: chris84 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/16/12
What time you guys calling at? I get someone, usually Mike, more often than not.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/16/12
I talked to Mike last week. He just asks that you call after 11:00 Central.

ddj
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 10/16/12

Why 4? Curious.

Still having issues with the 5R.
Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/01/12
My 6mm #2 1-8 twist showed up today. Ordered in June.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/01/12
Originally Posted by woodson
My 6mm #2 1-8 twist showed up today. Ordered in June.

Is it a 5R?
Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/01/12
It's engraved as such.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/01/12
Lucky dog. Still waiting on my .257. Paul said they were making them a couple weeks back, but I haven't been charged yet.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/08/12
Ordered my barrel on July 19th and just got the shipping notice today. 6.5 8 twist.

Roy
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/08/12
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Ordered my barrel on July 19th and just got the shipping notice today. 6.5 8 twist.

Roy

You suck Roy. I ordered mine in May.

They told me a few weeks back they were fixn to ship, nada yet and no CC charge.

Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/12/12
I just got notice that a 6.5 8 twist #3 contour is headed my way too. Let me know if anyone wants it because I could be talked out of it since I have other projects to pay for.

Bb
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/12/12
I talked to Rock on the phone at 1100 CST today. Wasn't Mike, but the guy never said his name. I changed my 25 cal barrel on order (placed mid-April) from a #3 to a #2.

They mentioned they weren't running 25 cal barrels next week, as it was deer season. They said they should run 25s the week after that.

My #3 30 cal Rock is about perfect.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/14/12
My #3 6.5 just showed up and looks good. Now I've got to think about what to do with it. Was thinking 6.5-06 when I ordered it.
Posted By: 18Echo Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/22/12
Rock .30 cal in Rem Varmint contour.... about 4 days!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/24/12
I called RC Barrels late this afternoon. The phone was answered by Mike and we chatted for almost 40 minutes. He's as talkative as Melvin Forbes!

He greeted me by name (caller ID) and then looked up my order. He couldn't apologize enough about how long it has taken for the barrel to be completed I ordered awhile ago. He assured me it would go out Monday or Tuesday. I asked about payment, he said they'd probably just include an invoice in the package. He also said he was REALLY going to try and get the wait times down to 4 weeks for future orders!

Should I need another barrel at some point, it will come from Rock Creek.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 11/24/12
Wonder how long it would have been if you hadn't called. I'm beginning to have doubts, and they shouldn't get your barrel out quick just because you call. Been since February for me, and that's totally ridiculous. No reason for it, as far as I'm concerned, especially with the promised quick service due to a phone call.

The customers that don't want to bother him with a call should get good service as well.

I'm thinking I'm done with Rock Creek and will stop recommending them.
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/11/12
Originally Posted by Nail

The rest of the story...

A funny thing happened today...

[Linked Image]

Original sales order:

[Linked Image]

Invoice:
[Linked Image]

Wound up with a 4-groove instead of the 5R but he did knock a little off the price.

Order:
[Linked Image]

Invoice:
[Linked Image]

All I can say is, Mike Rock is a class act.

Posted By: Arac Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/11/12
Nail - that is a class act!
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/11/12
WOW!
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/11/12
That is customer service.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/12/12
I want the 4 groove Rock special smile
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/12/12
Originally Posted by 65BR
I want the 4 groove Rock special smile

I think the deadline was Jan. 26..... wink
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/12/12
Anyone gotten a .257 lately?

Every time I've called it's been "Next week..."

Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/13/12
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Same here
Posted By: Huntr Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/13/12
Received my 6.5 barrel today, 4 months after ordering. No complaints here.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/13/12
Has anyone used bugholes to order custom barrel from rock creek yet? I was wondering if they take orders for items not listed on their web page.

Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 12/14/12
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Wonder how long it would have been if you hadn't called. I'm beginning to have doubts, and they shouldn't get your barrel out quick just because you call. Been since February for me, and that's totally ridiculous. No reason for it, as far as I'm concerned, especially with the promised quick service due to a phone call.

The customers that don't want to bother him with a call should get good service as well.

FYI......I'm still waiting!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/06/13

And still waiting.

They are once again not answering the phone or returning messages. (I think I left one a couple weeks ago on their answering machine, if it took it) Funny, I talked to Mike himself, two times and he promised it would go out in a day or two.

I'm not sure what to do next but I think I'll write a letter and drop it in the mail box. At this point I'm ready to order from another maker as this order has been in the pipe line for almost 11 months.
Posted By: Nail Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/06/13

And still waiting.

They are once again not answering the phone or returning messages. (I think I left one a couple weeks ago on their answering machine, if it took it) Funny, I talked to Mike himself, two times and he promised it would go out in a day or two.

I'm not sure what to do next but I think I'll write a letter and drop it in the mail box. At this point I'm ready to order from another maker as this order has been in the pipe line for almost 11 months.

Believe me, I understand. If only because I've been there. In the end, Mike did right by me but my situation may not be the same as yours.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/07/13

Same here

I'm cancelling my .257 order today Joel. I got the "next week" claim a few months back, then again later. I waited, then contacted Mike to get the real scoop. He said they hardly ever build .257 tubes, that they had only built maybe 5 in the last 4 years. He said he had no idea when they would get around to the .257 tubes. I bought an in stock Brux from Bugholes instead.

Have a good one,

loder
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/07/13

Same here

I'm cancelling my .257 order today Joel. I got the "next week" claim a few months back, then again later. I waited, then contacted Mike to get the real scoop. He said they hardly ever build .257 tubes, that they had only built maybe 5 in the last 4 years. He said he had no idea when they would get around to the .257 tubes. I bought an in stock Brux from Bugholes instead.

Have a good one,

loder

Thanks for the craniums-up, Loder!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/08/13
I must have got 2 of the 5 .257 barrels he made. They both shoot well. Sold one to a member cause I wanted to rebarrel to 6.5 for the heck of it.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/08/13
Must have Kaleb, I was kind of surprised that the demand for .257 tubes was so low. My last couple .257 tubes were Lilja and he seems to keep those on hand readily. Hopefully this Brux will perform well.

I called them again yesterday to cancel, but they promised they were finally working on the .257s and would have it to me before the end of Jan right after the shot show. He said he couldn't finish them until after the show, but they are working on ,257s right now. I guess I'll give them another few weeks, sitting at 40 weeks now. Don't mind waiting at all, just prefer honest answers. Anyway, I'll probably have a Rock 4 .257 10tw for sale here in the coming weeks. After fluted, it should come in lighter than most 3s if short shanked.

Have a good one,

loder
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/08/13
I'm holding out for the duration, I believe. I ordered the barrel 9 Apr 12. When I talked to Mike yesterday he mentioned he already made a fixture or something to run 25s.

Being active duty USAF I like that Mike spent a bunch of time working for the Army, which is why I prefer Rock barrels. And the matching McMillan won't be ready until mid-April probably anyway, so I can wait a bit more.

Now, if we get to mid-April and the McMillan ships, those in-stock 25 cal #3 Lilja keeps on hand will start to look pretty good.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/10/13
Almost a year for me. Looks like there's at least 4 25 cal's on order from members here and must be others. I am waiting for 2.

Put 2 projects off long enough. I'm ready to build if he'll get off his ass and make some barrels.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/10/13
glad I got my .257 #2 a month or two ago but it took awile
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by gene270
glad I got my .257 #2 a month or two ago but it took awile

How long???
Posted By: jmsdad Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/11/13
I don't think I can wait that long for the maker to turn out said barrel. I'll lose interest by then and move on to other things. My last Rock Creek barrel (6.5mm M24contour) took about 6 days coming from Greg Young aka Bugholes in FL.

Good luck!
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/11/13
10 months for my barrel
Posted By: bea175 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 01/11/13
I prefer Shilen and they don't take long to get
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/25/13

And still waiting.

Still waiting....

53 weeks. Sent a letter a month ago and occasionally give them a call. No answer from snail mail or phone, damn the luck.
Posted By: Paul Walukewicz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/25/13
i'm at over a year on one and i've given up on getting it. i'll order from someone else.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/25/13
paul
they must have lost your order I ordered mine after you and got it months ago
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/26/13

And still waiting.

Still waiting....

53 weeks. Sent a letter a month ago and occasionally give them a call. No answer from snail mail or phone, damn the luck.

Same here. Tried to call last week and the message said they were closed until the 25th? Can't remember. Anyway.......They should just tell us they don't want our business rather than leading us along. I think 11-1/2 mos for me. I guess I'll just go chrome-moly on my skinny barrels and spend the bucks for cerakote. But that doesn't protect the bore.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/26/13
Originally Posted by gene270
paul
they must have lost your order I ordered mine after you and got it months ago

And what about mine?

They didn't lose my order. 9 months into it I called and Mike promised it'd go out in a day or two and that happened twice......

Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/26/13
Those of you who did recieve your barrel, did you see any decrease in quality? Usually when barrel makers are behind, workmanship/accuracy suffers.

ddj
Posted By: Shortmag Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/26/13
Maybe he will get caught up and you guys will get your barrels.

Quote from Mike's website:

"As of November 1 , 2012 we are no longer taking orders on cut rifled barrels. This is due to the overwhelmingly high order volume we currently have, we apologize for the inconvenience. All current orders will be filled and shipped when completed. We will still be taking orders for button rifled rimfire barrels."

GK

Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/26/13
Not that it means all that much, but when I was running brands by my 'smith his exact words were "oh, don't get a Rock..."

I know everyone has their opinions, but Rock sure seems to have quite a following here for some reason. Cannot see waiting on anything for a year though, especially with so many available Plan B's.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/26/13
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Not that it means all that much, but when I was running brands by my 'smith his exact words were "oh, don't get a Rock..."

I know everyone has their opinions, but Rock sure seems to have quite a following here for some reason. Cannot see waiting on anything for a year though, especially with so many available Plan B's.

Funny, just had a smith tell me the same. I'm at 11 months on a Rock and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever get it. They flat lied to me every time I talked to them, so I'll never order another Rock. I don't mind waiting at all, but expect honest answers when I check the status.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13

Funny, just had a smith tell me the same. I'm at 11 months on a Rock and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever get it. They flat lied to me every time I talked to them, so I'll never order another Rock. I don't mind waiting at all, but expect honest answers when I check the status.

'Loder,

Despite my earlier statement about sticking with Rock, I found a Lilja #2 25 cal in stock, and cancelled my Rock 25 cal order. When I talked to Mike about canceling the order, he mentioned they focus on 6.5 and 30 cal barrels.

My 30 cal #3 is about perfect for my 30-06. Shoots 5-shot groups of Partitions and Accubonds inside an inch, and match bullets much better. I'm not saying Rock is the best barrel maker, but I would definitely use a Rock 30 cal again.

v/r
Joel
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13
Well my barrel came in this week. Next week would be A YEAR! 6mm/8T
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13
Well my barrel came in this week. Next week would be A YEAR! 6mm/8T

I'll watch for the brown truck.....................
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13

No.......There's not "many available Plan B's". If you're looking for a mountain rifle stainess tube, which I am and ordered 2, there are VERY few alternatives. Most makers will not make them. Either chrome-moly for skinny tubes or a larger contour for stainless.

I have several Rocks and they are great barrels.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13
I really don't see the point in limiting yourself on barrel manufacturers because you want a specific contour, because quite a few smiths will turn a barrel to whatever contour you wish for a minimal charge.

I know one thing, I sure as h*ll wouldn't wait a year for a barrel.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13
When I talked to Rock Creek's office manager, he said that Mike is notorius for extending his workers. He will say they will just add one more barrel to their current run but when he tells that to 25 people, there isn't enough tube laying around. I called GAP to make sure they got my barrel and their story was the same. When a customer tells GAP that Rock is sending them a barrel they say "we'll believe it when we see it".

ddj
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

If I would have known it would take a year,I wouldn't have ordered it.Every time that I called,"it was going to be shipped next week". That was six months ago,and every month I called back.And what is worse,is that I paid up front!
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/27/13
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

If I would have known it would take a year,I wouldn't have ordered it.Every time that I called,"it was going to be shipped next week". That was six months ago,and every month I called back.And what is worse,is that I paid up front!

That really sucks! I have one Rock Creek now, don't think I'll have another after reading through this thread.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
No.......There's not "many available Plan B's". If you're looking for a mountain rifle stainess tube, which I am and ordered 2, there are VERY few alternatives. Most makers will not make them.

Not true. Krieger won't, but there are a list of makers that will.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
My .25 cal Rock I used for my .257 Weatherby build is a great barrel and had it in 6 weeks ...seems things have drastically changed in the past few years...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
Haven't had a Rock in a year or so. But one I did order was told it would be about 9 mos due to a mil contract.

No biggie. I plan ahead of time. Customs take me time to figure out what I want really and all of mine could take up to 3 years or more for me to make up my mind, order and get the parts and get in line to have it done. Not a big deal.

If you are building custom then its almost a given you have anotehr rifle you can use....

Never did understand when folks are dealing with custom stuff, that they have the patience of mcdonalds. Thats what an off the rack academy rifle is for.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
Oh yeah, as far as a yaer for a rock, I"ve had same or longer leads from Krieger, Obermeyer etc... and IMHO if you want the best, I'd just as soon plan for it.

Some of you would be well suprised of delays in barrel times a few times in our competitive career... such that we had spare blanks in the closet for those times.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
I've mentioned it before, but it still seems to me that there is room in the market for another barrel maker or three.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
No.......There's not "many available Plan B's". If you're looking for a mountain rifle stainess tube, which I am and ordered 2, there are VERY few alternatives. Most makers will not make them.

Not true. Krieger won't, but there are a list of makers that will.

Please name them. I think pac-nor may do it, or they used to. Who else? But please only list the ones you know for certain will do it. Brux will not.

I know we've discussed this before and the threads have been very long.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
i think you are only limited in which cut rifle barrel companys will do small contours in stainless

as far as button rifled barrels hart,lilja,douglas,shilen just off the top of my head to name a few

gene
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 02/28/13
Rock has not been taking orders for some time now. They are trying to get supply to meet up with demand.

FWIW, Rock makes some excellent barrels IMO.......
Posted By: JLederer Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/07/13
Originally Posted by mathman
I've mentioned it before, but it still seems to me that there is room in the market for another barrel maker or three.

Funny you should mention that. This thread caught my attention as I have a past relationship with RC. I am a little bit dismayed to see that they stopped taking orders.

If all goes as planned there will be another cut rifled barrel maker, this summer.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/07/13
Originally Posted by JLederer
Originally Posted by mathman

Funny you should mention that. This thread caught my attention as I have a past relationship with RC. I am a little bit dismayed to see that they stopped taking orders.

If all goes as planned there will be another cut rifled barrel maker, this summer.

Nice tease. Come on man, we need more info!
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/08/13

Nice tease. Come on man, we need more info!

+1
can we pre-order grin
Posted By: JLederer Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/08/13
This site sells advertising and until I get that straightened out, I'm not sure if it would be appropriate. I'm not real clear on what the rules are for seller related posts. Perhaps someone can fill me in on that one.

But you are welcome to contact me at the email in my profile for more info.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by JLederer
This site sells advertising and until I get that straightened out, I'm not sure if it would be appropriate. I'm not real clear on what the rules are for seller related posts. Perhaps someone can fill me in on that one.

But you are welcome to contact me at the email in my profile for more info.

Look up Rick at this link:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/2/RickBin

He'll hook you up when you are ready for the onslaught of orders........<grin>
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/28/13
Wow. Paul with Rock Creek called and both of my .257" SS mountain rifle contour barrels are shipping. Anybody else? I guess he called me because my old credit card was replaced and he needed new credit card info. So you may need to check your card to see if you have a recent charge from Rock Creek.

I ordered last March.

Posted By: woodson Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/29/13
Jesus. Sad state of affairs.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/29/13
Jesus. Sad state of affairs.

I'll be happy to have them. Only problem is that dies are hard to get now. One of them will become a 25-204 and I never thought I'd already be this far out. I guess I need to call CH4D now.

I'm thinking 250AI for the other.
I ordered a 5R in 6mm and 1-8 twist and it showed up as a 4R 1-8. I honestly don't give a damn considering they gave it to me for free after I realized it wasn't 5R. Very happy with the outcome with both free-ness but also its accuracy. Did two trips to the range and my favorite 6mm deer bullet, the 95NBT, puts 5 shots into less than .4". Hard to be too disgusted?
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/29/13
I know. I have other Rock barrels and I'm very happy with all of them. I decided to just let this order ride and see what happened. I'm glad I did.

It may be somewhere in this thread, but what contour is your 6mm barrel? Any pics?
#2 contour. Do a search under custom rifles for "It's finally happening". Full build specs and all. Pretty stoked to dominate this season with it. We hunt as a club and put on large scale deer drives. Ill carry this baby for driving and watching.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/29/13
I ordered a 5R in 6mm and 1-8 twist and it showed up as a 4R 1-8. I honestly don't give a damn considering they gave it to me for free after I realized it wasn't 5R. Very happy with the outcome with both free-ness but also its accuracy. Did two trips to the range and my favorite 6mm deer bullet, the 95NBT, puts 5 shots into less than .4". Hard to be too disgusted?

Same barrel that I got from Rock. Care to disclose your load?
Standard azz 243 win:

Lapua cases
Win LR primers
95 NBT
42.0 grains of H4350
OAL @ 2.60"

Haven't run it over a chrony but honestly I really don't care. No pressure signs even though it is 0.5 over some published data.
I wanted to play with the 105 amax but see no need. I have such confidence in the 95nbt that I don't want to waste components. In fact if anyone reading this has some 95 NBT I would trade a box of 105 Amaxs.
Posted By: waterbug Re: Rock Creek Barrel - 03/29/13
I called Paul yesterday just to check the status on my .257 #3 blank. I was pleasantly surprised when he said it was almost ready to ship, only needing final sanding today. Unfortunately the outlook on my .277 #3 blank is not as good,,,,
© 24hourcampfire