Home
My grandson has reached the point he wants to carry his own rifle the next time he comes with me on a trip. He likes my Ed Brown .308 but I want something that will be his.

Basically what I'm looking to build will be on a Model 700 short-action chambered in 300 WSM -- square-up the action, install a better extractor, fit a quality barrel in a Mt Rifle countour, install a Vais brake, spiral flute the bolt, teflon coat all the metal and install the whole thing in a McMillan stock which I can provide.

The 'smith's I've used in the past all all quoting 12 months which I've learned means closer to 16 so I'm looking for a couple of new options to build the rifle.

I don't mind if I need several different people to work it but I'd like it ready by Labor Day 2013.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By PM if you prefer.

He's a very special young man in many ways.
For sure I understand the thoughts behind building a gun for a G-son. Honestly one of the best times of my life was doing so.

Here's a thought, it's not gonna mirror what your blue print is but hope you don't mind.

M70 stls action
McMillan Hunter Edge compact (let him pick the color)
#3 Brux stls with a short shank and cut to 23"
Talley
3-9 Leo w/dotz
PT&G bottom metal
1" Montana sling

For a smith I'd have a fella in Helena Mt that Ingwe and I both know well do the work. But, I'd gather the parts first

Just a thunk, easily done by Mem Day and most likely more like Easter.

Dober
I would contact Jim Kobe. I would not do a WSM on a short action and wouldn't do a Sako extractor. Use the M16 extractor. I like Talleys and PT&G bottom metal. I prefer the 2.5X8x36 Leupold or the 3X9 Zeiss Conquest. McMillan stocks are good, but you better order quick and the same on the barrel.
Here's my "shortlist" for gunsmiths that would build your Grandson a hammer:

Jon Beanland

Robert Gradous

Accurate Ordnance (David Walker)

APA (Jered Joplin)

Bill stepping up from 308 to 300WSM is quite a leap depending on the size of you're GS. I would definitely choose parts that I could get my hands on in the next month or so. Pac Nor has several barrels ready to ship in their Super Grade line at this time. Choosing a Mcmillan stock would be a crap shoot unless you get in on the XMAS sale. Their waiting times are just going to be getting longer and longer. There are many good qualified gunsmiths... and several here on the fire that can screw your rifle together and I would not hesitate to go w/ a recommendation from people as experienced as Dober and others here. In the long run I think the 700 action and a few good recommendations as far as a smith from here on the fire will get you going in the right direction.

I would not build my grandson a rifle w/a brake as his first rifle. I think he may develop a life long flinch due to muzzle blast. Staying w/ the .308 or some other similar cartridge is never a bad idea for a life long cartridge but he's your grandson and that's the bottom line. powdr
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ceiver-blued-prod32498.aspx#.ULDoso7GJUQ

Action you need is on sale for $369 at Brownells. Lot of good 700 smiths out there. Good luck on your build.
Originally Posted by powdr
Bill stepping up from 308 to 300WSM is quite a leap depending on the size of you're GS.

I would not build my grandson a rifle w/a brake as his first rifle. I think he may develop a life long flinch due to muzzle blast.

Staying w/ the .308 or some other similar cartridge is never a bad idea for a life long cartridge but he's your grandson and that's the bottom line.

Agreed.

My only change might be go 7mm-08 over the 308, but that's personal preference.
I would not build my grandson a rifle w/a brake as his first rifle. I think he may develop a life long flinch due to muzzle blast. Staying w/ the .308 or some other similar cartridge is never a bad idea for a life long cartridge

Well said and sage advice.

A 243, 6mmRem, 250Savage, 250AI, 260, 7/08 or 308 would be perfect for a young shooter and a gun he would enjoy shooting for a loooong time w/o the blast and recoil of a muzzle break magnum.

Let the lad buy his own magnum later when he's ready.
Originally Posted by 30338
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ceiver-blued-prod32498.aspx#.ULDoso7GJUQ

Action you need is on sale for $369 at Brownells. Lot of good 700 smiths out there. Good luck on your build.

That one will work for 6.5 or .358 Rem Mags, right?
Coldbore my first thought was 7mm-08 but thought he just might want to stay w/30 caliber. The 7mm-08 gained a reputation for a reason and it did it in an over crowded 7mm field. The 08 w/a 154gr Hornady would be good for about anything in n. America but the big bears. It's accurate, can be made to any weight and length, and is a life long cartridge one doesn't have to change entering adulthood. Never could figure out why people started their kids out on 22 cals and then moved them to something else in two to three years. powdr
Originally Posted by DB Bill
My grandson has reached the point he wants to carry his own rifle the next time he comes with me on a trip. He likes my Ed Brown .308 but I want something that will be his.

Basically what I'm looking to build will be on a Model 700 short-action chambered in 300 WSM -- square-up the action, install a better extractor, fit a quality barrel in a Mt Rifle countour, install a Vais brake, spiral flute the bolt, teflon coat all the metal and install the whole thing in a McMillan stock which I can provide.

He's a very special young man in many ways.

I wish I had that problem...If I did, I'd have a little pow-wow with him & let HIM decide on what HE'D like as an end product...swap ideas with him & make it a joint endeavor...
The 7mm-08 gained a reputation for a reason and it did it in an over crowded 7mm field.

Yep. cool

There is a good Gunsmith in Woodland, CA His name is Craig Maraviov. I have had Craig build me a rifle, his work is top shelf. I would have him build me another.

Here is his info.

Craig Maraviov
10 N East Street Suiet #204
Woodland, CA 95776
530-668 GUNS (4867)
30 + Years of Experience

I think the reason most Gunsmith's tell you so long of a time is, it gives them time to fetch the part and put your gun together.

When I had him build my gun, I had all the parts, did the hand off and 30 days later my phone rang,--- you rifle is done..

Gunsmith's have to wait on barrels, stocks, one thing after another before a build is complete.
I think every body has to wait for components, being a gunsmith or and individual. Just get busy getting your components together regardless of who you decide to use as a smith.
If building a shortmag call Jim Borden and at the very least use his Alpinemag action designed for the shortmags, Robert Gradous or Jim should be able to build it in time!
I'd be thinkin 308 or its offspring and a gap non typical......be a one stop shop?
i bought my son a rem mt 7-08 when he was 13 and he still loves it now. he became a crack shot with it.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
A 243, 6mmRem, 250Savage, 250AI, 260, 7/08 or 308 would be perfect for a young shooter

Not to bad for old fartz either!

DMc
Thanks for the the leads and suggesitons on calibers. The young man is 16, soon to be 17, and stands a slender 6'2". He's also been a AA Skeet shooter since 14 and doesn't have any problems running 200+ rounds a day of 12ga thru his shotgun.

The 7-08 is a dandy round but you don't need to run a 300 WSM full-bore all the time - it isn't a problem to load it down to a 30/06 or even a .308 - makes it very versatile in my mind.

With respect to muzzle-brakes, there are brakes and then there are brakes and it's been my experience that VAIS-brakes don't have a measurable increase in noise but do provide a significant decrease in felt recoil.

You might look at Hill Country Rifles. They always have something available. GA Precision has a reputation for accurate rifles and may be able to get something together quickly.
Have you tried McMillan to see what their lead time is?
Check around, there are a few other smiths I have talked to over the years that keep enough components in stock to build rifles fairly quickly.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by SuperCub
A 243, 6mmRem, 250Savage, 250AI, 260, 7/08 or 308 would be perfect for a young shooter

Not to bad for old fartz either!

DMc

10-4 on that! ..... My Roberts is still the favoured one each fall despite the presence of larger, nicer guns.

My grandson has reached the point he wants to carry his own rifle, what I'm looking to build will be on a Model 700 short-action chambered in 300 WSM
You must be planning a Cape Buffulo hunt.

Others recommend Gradous, He's a year behind. I'd try Jon Beanland or Eddie Fosnaugh.
No way I'd build a WSM around a 700 SA or brake it. The idea that there is somehow a "quieter" muzzle brake is fantasy. They're all hard on the ears and there's no reason to start a young guy off in that manner IMO.

Dober's got the perfect 300 WSM recipe, except I'd put it in a Bansner.

Would also add, recoil at the bench (seated) with a rifle really doesn't translate from shotgunning standing on one's hind legs. Unless he's done a fair bit of rifle shooting at the bench, the 300 WSM is going to be a bother to him.

You didn't ask for cartridge advice, but I'd build him a 30-06. If he wants to get fancy in the future, that's on him.
Originally Posted by slg888
..... try Jon Beanland or Eddie Fosnaugh.

I think I'd give Eddie a try and have heard excellent things about Mr. Beanland as well.
Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion, PA. Affordable, fast, accurate, and a pleasure to deal with. He will talk your ear off so consider yourself warned.
Originally Posted by Brad
No way I'd build a WSM around a 700 SA or brake it. The idea that there is somehow a "quieter" muzzle brake is fantasy. They're all hard on the ears and there's no reason to start a young guy off in that manner IMO.

Would also add, recoil at the bench (seated) with a rifle really doesn't translate from shotgunning standing on one's hind legs. Unless he's done a fair bit of rifle shooting at the bench, the 300 WSM is going to be a bother to him.

You didn't ask for cartridge advice, but I'd build him a 30-06. If he wants to get fancy in the future, that's on him.

Well said my friend! Your old 70/06/Bans is the catz and model perfecto for the lad in a .270...grin

Dober
Originally Posted by 30338
You'll need more than that - those actions do NOT come with bottom metal, magazine box, follower or spring, AND you need to be (or have one handy) an FFL to buy one..

The one 'on sale' is a SA magnum (WSM) action - not standard bolt-face..
Call George over at GAP and order a Non Typical the perfect platform for what your looking to buy!
Thanks for the the leads and suggesitons on calibers. The young man is 16, soon to be 17, and stands a slender 6'2". He's also been a AA Skeet shooter since 14 and doesn't have any problems running 200+ rounds a day of 12ga thru his shotgun.

The 7-08 is a dandy round but you don't need to run a 300 WSM full-bore all the time - it isn't a problem to load it down to a 30/06 or even a .308 - makes it very versatile in my mind.

With respect to muzzle-brakes, there are brakes and then there are brakes and it's been my experience that VAIS-brakes don't have a measurable increase in noise but do provide a significant decrease in felt recoil.

If your building mainly a hunting rifle check with Earl Hickman at Hickman Rifles in Co. Springs. Earl has built several rifles for me that shoot extremely well. Earl builds his own brakes that are worth a look or will use supplied brakes. Make sure you get a thread protector with which ever you choose. If your grandson hasnt shot a wsm make sure you start of with some mild loads. If he shoots that much skeet, I dont see a problem. Good luck with you build
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Call George over at GAP and order a Non Typical the perfect platform for what your looking to buy!

My kid's been running this one since he was 13. (Heck, before it was named the Non Typical.) Started with throttled back 155 Scenars, and they only hurt on the receiving end...

[Linked Image]
Seems to me that Sendero Man has a Non Typ 300 WSM in the classifieds don't hey?

Dober
Last Shilen barrel I ordered was 9-10 weeks and the last Krieger was 6 months. I would also get McMillian on the phone asap.
Originally Posted by Brad

I agree with all of this but for the cartridge.

You didn't say how big the boy is, but I'd start him with a 260, 7-08 or 308.

And instead of doing a custom build, I'd find a super clean Remington (or Winnie or Howa - whatever floats your boat) and have the trigger and bedding tweaked if needed. And with the left over cheddar, I'd take the boy on a fun hunt and make some memories for the both of you.
I'm not sure what his current turnaround time is, but don't overlook Mike Bryant. His work is second to none and one of his rifles set the World Record in 600 yard BR. Additionally, Mike is just a great guy and if he says it, you can take it to the bank.

I'm with the others on cartridge selection. He'll likely shoot a standard better, which means he will kill better with it. If handloading, I'd go with a 6.5CM, .260, or 7mm-08. If limited to factory ammo only, I'd go with a .308 or .270.

John
Journeyman, what barrel contour and length is that on the pre-non-typical?
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I'm not sure what his current turnaround time is, but don't overlook Mike Bryant. His work is second to none and one of his rifles set the World Record in 600 yard BR. Additionally, Mike is just a great guy and if he says it, you can take it to the bank.

I'm with the others on cartridge selection. He'll likely shoot a standard better, which means he will kill better with it. If handloading, I'd go with a 6.5CM, .260, or 7mm-08. If limited to factory ammo only, I'd go with a .308 or .270.

John

I certainly like Mike Bryant as he is an old time friend and fellow BR shooter. Good as anybody, very honest, but usually very far behind. I sure wouldn't mind recommending him if he can meet your time frame.
Originally Posted by GTN
Last Shilen barrel I ordered was 9-10 weeks and the last Krieger was 6 months. I would also get McMillian on the phone asap.

More than likely there is a good reason for the longer wait!
Why would you say that?
I think Krieger and Bartlien are a little better and more popular!
Based on what? You know, Shilen has more barrel making machinery than the folks that you mentioned to be able to meet demand as best as they can. If and a big If they all had identical machinery and workers, it would be closer to the same wait. If you knew how many barrels Shilen produced, you sure wouldn't say they are not liked.
Now that also being said, I have a Bartlien on my 6PPC at present and a Rock Creek on my 30BR. My next PPC barrel will be a Shilen. I have a Lilja on my 6.5X47 Lapua custom hunting rifle. I have 2 Douglas barrels on 2 of my customs, one a 284 and the other a 458 Lott. The other 20 or so are Shilens.
Duane Wiebe told me a long time ago that your top quality custom rifle didn't deserve saving a $100 when the rest of your components are top quality.
I firmly agree that he is correct. I also believe in a hunting rifle that none of you would be able to tell which barrel was on your rifle by shooting it.
butch,

No disrespect, but I'll take a Krieger or Bartlein (Rock and Brux too)over a Shilen any day of the week!!

Redneck or Eddie Fosnaugh. One has done one for me and the other is working on one for me. Both are extremely easy to deal with and produce exactly what you want... a shooter.
1st and foremost, I'd ditch the WSM and brake. I've never had a short mag that cycled worth a crap and I've never heard a brake that wouldn't bust eardrums. If you must go magnum, do a long action 300 Win Mag, slam dunk!
Originally Posted by 300MAG
butch,

No disrespect, but I'll take a Krieger or Bartlein (Rock and Brux too)over a Shilen any day of the week!!

You know, this is what it is all about. I love my wife and wouldn't love yours. Doesn't mean she isn't a fine women, I just really love mine.
I still think I could put a properly built hunting rifle in your hands and you would not have a clue what barrel that was on it.
I've got a Kreiger in my LR varmint rifle, a Satern on my LWLR hunting rifle, had a Pac-Nor that seemed to shoot well, had a Douglas on my first custom - man that was a shooter, had a Shilen on another custom, a Lilja on another, and a few that I can't even remember what barrel was on them. They were almost all accurate barrels, and the couple that did not shoot well (subjective) were a 6 lb. .338 Win mag that would only shoot 1.5 MOA, which may not be to bad for a fly-weight magnum with a pencil barrel, and another built to hunter benchrest standards chambered in a tight neck 6-284. I'm not sure if it was the barrel, bedding, action, or most likely my own reloading as it was my first tight neck rifle when I was trying to learn benchrest quality reloading.
I think the top barrel makers are like the top car manufacturers; they are all good.
Even my Coopers with their Wilson barrels have been real shooters. I am shooting a 22-250 with a Wilson barrel on it that shot in the .3's until the throat washed out to the point I can no longer reach the lands with a seated bullet. Now it shoots in the .4's.

Cooper, that reminds me, the point of this thread isn't the best barrel, but a custom rifle for the OP's grandson.
Cooper rifles may not be full custom, but the 5 I have had were all fine rifles and very accurate. Maybe one of these could work for your grandson.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by 300MAG
butch,

You know, this is what it is all about. I love my wife and wouldn't love yours. Doesn't mean she isn't a fine women, I just really love mine.
I still think I could put a properly built hunting rifle in your hands and you would not have a clue what barrel that was on it.

You are right Butch no doubt, but if I had to choose (and we all get to), give me a Krieger or Bartlein!!

(and your wife - LOL!!!)
id build him a 308win and kill anything with it he wants outside of big bears and dangerous game in africa...if those two arent on his annual hunting list i cant see the need for a wsm

rock, brux, kreiger, bartlein are all good as are lilja and hart

gradous is a great builder...but if he is a year out try beanland and eddie f
© 24hourcampfire