Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by SuperCub
A 243, 6mmRem, 250Savage, 250AI, 260, 7/08 or 308 would be perfect for a young shooter

Not to bad for old fartz either!

DMc

10-4 on that! ..... My Roberts is still the favoured one each fall despite the presence of larger, nicer guns.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DB Bill
My grandson has reached the point he wants to carry his own rifle, what I'm looking to build will be on a Model 700 short-action chambered in 300 WSM
You must be planning a Cape Buffulo hunt.

Others recommend Gradous, He's a year behind. I'd try Jon Beanland or Eddie Fosnaugh.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No way I'd build a WSM around a 700 SA or brake it. The idea that there is somehow a "quieter" muzzle brake is fantasy. They're all hard on the ears and there's no reason to start a young guy off in that manner IMO.

Dober's got the perfect 300 WSM recipe, except I'd put it in a Bansner.

Would also add, recoil at the bench (seated) with a rifle really doesn't translate from shotgunning standing on one's hind legs. Unless he's done a fair bit of rifle shooting at the bench, the 300 WSM is going to be a bother to him.

You didn't ask for cartridge advice, but I'd build him a 30-06. If he wants to get fancy in the future, that's on him.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by slg888
..... try Jon Beanland or Eddie Fosnaugh.

I think I'd give Eddie a try and have heard excellent things about Mr. Beanland as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion, PA. Affordable, fast, accurate, and a pleasure to deal with. He will talk your ear off so consider yourself warned.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
No way I'd build a WSM around a 700 SA or brake it. The idea that there is somehow a "quieter" muzzle brake is fantasy. They're all hard on the ears and there's no reason to start a young guy off in that manner IMO.

Would also add, recoil at the bench (seated) with a rifle really doesn't translate from shotgunning standing on one's hind legs. Unless he's done a fair bit of rifle shooting at the bench, the 300 WSM is going to be a bother to him.

You didn't ask for cartridge advice, but I'd build him a 30-06. If he wants to get fancy in the future, that's on him.

Well said my friend! Your old 70/06/Bans is the catz and model perfecto for the lad in a .270...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 30338
You'll need more than that - those actions do NOT come with bottom metal, magazine box, follower or spring, AND you need to be (or have one handy) an FFL to buy one..

The one 'on sale' is a SA magnum (WSM) action - not standard bolt-face..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Call George over at GAP and order a Non Typical the perfect platform for what your looking to buy!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DB Bill
Thanks for the the leads and suggesitons on calibers. The young man is 16, soon to be 17, and stands a slender 6'2". He's also been a AA Skeet shooter since 14 and doesn't have any problems running 200+ rounds a day of 12ga thru his shotgun.

The 7-08 is a dandy round but you don't need to run a 300 WSM full-bore all the time - it isn't a problem to load it down to a 30/06 or even a .308 - makes it very versatile in my mind.

With respect to muzzle-brakes, there are brakes and then there are brakes and it's been my experience that VAIS-brakes don't have a measurable increase in noise but do provide a significant decrease in felt recoil.

If your building mainly a hunting rifle check with Earl Hickman at Hickman Rifles in Co. Springs. Earl has built several rifles for me that shoot extremely well. Earl builds his own brakes that are worth a look or will use supplied brakes. Make sure you get a thread protector with which ever you choose. If your grandson hasnt shot a wsm make sure you start of with some mild loads. If he shoots that much skeet, I dont see a problem. Good luck with you build

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Call George over at GAP and order a Non Typical the perfect platform for what your looking to buy!

My kid's been running this one since he was 13. (Heck, before it was named the Non Typical.) Started with throttled back 155 Scenars, and they only hurt on the receiving end...

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that Sendero Man has a Non Typ 300 WSM in the classifieds don't hey?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
GTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Last Shilen barrel I ordered was 9-10 weeks and the last Krieger was 6 months. I would also get McMillian on the phone asap.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Brad

I agree with all of this but for the cartridge.

You didn't say how big the boy is, but I'd start him with a 260, 7-08 or 308.

And instead of doing a custom build, I'd find a super clean Remington (or Winnie or Howa - whatever floats your boat) and have the trigger and bedding tweaked if needed. And with the left over cheddar, I'd take the boy on a fun hunt and make some memories for the both of you.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm not sure what his current turnaround time is, but don't overlook Mike Bryant. His work is second to none and one of his rifles set the World Record in 600 yard BR. Additionally, Mike is just a great guy and if he says it, you can take it to the bank.

I'm with the others on cartridge selection. He'll likely shoot a standard better, which means he will kill better with it. If handloading, I'd go with a 6.5CM, .260, or 7mm-08. If limited to factory ammo only, I'd go with a .308 or .270.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Journeyman, what barrel contour and length is that on the pre-non-typical?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I'm not sure what his current turnaround time is, but don't overlook Mike Bryant. His work is second to none and one of his rifles set the World Record in 600 yard BR. Additionally, Mike is just a great guy and if he says it, you can take it to the bank.

I'm with the others on cartridge selection. He'll likely shoot a standard better, which means he will kill better with it. If handloading, I'd go with a 6.5CM, .260, or 7mm-08. If limited to factory ammo only, I'd go with a .308 or .270.

John

I certainly like Mike Bryant as he is an old time friend and fellow BR shooter. Good as anybody, very honest, but usually very far behind. I sure wouldn't mind recommending him if he can meet your time frame.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by GTN
Last Shilen barrel I ordered was 9-10 weeks and the last Krieger was 6 months. I would also get McMillian on the phone asap.

More than likely there is a good reason for the longer wait!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why would you say that?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I think Krieger and Bartlien are a little better and more popular!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Based on what? You know, Shilen has more barrel making machinery than the folks that you mentioned to be able to meet demand as best as they can. If and a big If they all had identical machinery and workers, it would be closer to the same wait. If you knew how many barrels Shilen produced, you sure wouldn't say they are not liked.
Now that also being said, I have a Bartlien on my 6PPC at present and a Rock Creek on my 30BR. My next PPC barrel will be a Shilen. I have a Lilja on my 6.5X47 Lapua custom hunting rifle. I have 2 Douglas barrels on 2 of my customs, one a 284 and the other a 458 Lott. The other 20 or so are Shilens.
Duane Wiebe told me a long time ago that your top quality custom rifle didn't deserve saving a $100 when the rest of your components are top quality.
I firmly agree that he is correct. I also believe in a hunting rifle that none of you would be able to tell which barrel was on your rifle by shooting it.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 11/28/12.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 160user, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 34 invisible), 12,042 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,236
Posts18,544,217
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.