Home
Posted By: JohnMoses Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/13/13
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these action? Pros & Con's of each.

Trueness, smoothness, bolt lift, etc.

Need a good action with 700 footprint.

Thanks
Posted By: 805 Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/13/13
Don't rule out defiance or bighorn!
I've only handled a rifle with a Pierce action and sure liked it, would really like one of their titanium short actions. Seemed really nice and smooth.

Have shot a Stiller based rifle a couple times and like them as well, wouldn't have a problem owning one.

I have a Borden Alpine action on my .243 built by Kampfeld, if and when Karl ever starts building again I'd sure like him to build its twin in a 7MM-08.

Of the three, if you are going for a lightweight build the Borden sure is nice IMHO. All nice though for sure.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/13/13
I have a Borden Alpine
[Linked Image]

And A Stiller Predator

[Linked Image]

I like them both.

The Borden is a bit tighter than the Stiller by design but I don't think you would go wrong with a build on either.
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I have a Borden Alpine
[Linked Image]

And A Stiller Predator

[Linked Image]

I like them both.

The Borden is a bit tighter than the Stiller by design but I don't think you would go wrong with a build on either.

Man I sure like both of those - really nice rigs!! What are the specs on the bottom rifle if you don't mind my asking??
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/13/13
I've got a Borden Alpine 300 WSM in the works right now.
Posted By: RenoH414 Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/13/13
I have a stiller predator and love it. I plan on using Borden and defiance in future builds as well. I don't think a guy can go wrong with any of them truthfully.

Reno
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/13/13
Oregonmuley

The bottom rifle is a Stiller Predator, 23" Lilja 10 tw. 3 groove, Edge, Shilen trigger, PT&G aluminum bottom metal, and Talleys. Weighs right on 7 lb. scoped and loaded with no sling.

It would have probably been nice to have an 8 twist but that is one I had already and it shoots about anything 100 grains and lighter well and 95 BT's and SST's very well.

Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13

I see Shilen will sell a barreled action for $1500. Comes with their Select match barrel and DGR action (Stiller).

Only problem is its only offered with a barrel nut. Not a fan of the looks.

I assume McMillan will inlet a stock for this?
They are all top quality. The Shilen allows you to use a Remington type trigger and be able to switch barrels at home.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13

I believe they all use Rem type triggers. Just wondering if the inletting would be a problem for McMillan on a 700 foot print action with bbl nut?
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13
Here is a link to a thread about my Pierce rifle:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4824932/New_Custom_260_Rem#Post4824932

405wcf
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I have a Borden Alpine
[Linked Image]

I like them both.

That stock looks familiar...

ML
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13
It ought to. I think I'm going to go the same route as you with lighter bottom metal and an Edge.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these action? Pros & Con's of each.

Trueness, smoothness, bolt lift, etc.

Need a good action with 700 footprint.

Thanks

I have an early Pierce action (three digit serial #) on my Beanland 6x47L. It has some binding in the bolt raceway, which Jon did his best to smooth up. He also replaced the Pierce recoil lug as he found it wasn't flat from one side to the other. Other than those issues, the gun functions fine and shoots quite well. I've no experience with the Borden or Stiller actions, but from a purely aesthetic point of view, I'd choose the Stiller as I like their look better.

I too would advise considering the Defiance actions. They generate a lot of talk in the tactical circles, and are the choice of some of the big "name" smithing operations. Must be doing something right.....

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13
Hey John Moses, here is my Stiller Predator 7mmWSM, great action, got to visit with Jerry and watched them machine and hand lap some.
my next build will have another or perhaps one of Jim Bordens.

i am selling this gun (rifle only) $2500 (reduced) you are the first one to see this new price... a few are staying away from the solid action (no bottom metal or magazine)but this is one, stiff, accurate action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gene270 Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/14/13
i have two bordens
one a 308 and one 280ack

i really like the looks of the scalloped action sides and dont see how the finish could be any better

gene
get an action that has the pic rail and recoil lug built into the action. yeah it adds a little weight but its makes for one stiff action which I think does matter. the defiance deviant and bat machine actions offer this option. surgeon has it as well but I have heard getting one of their actions these days is pretty much an impossibility
I have a pair of Stiller Predators- one a .240 Weatherby built by Kirby Allen and a McWhorter in 6.5 Weatherby. Also have a Defiance and have owned a Borden. Would buy all of them again.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/15/13
Had a Stiller, 6BR 8 Twist, Rem Varm contour 24 round, shot the first 3 in 1/4" at 200 yds every group, using 66 and 105s, it was a bughole. Oh, used Talley aluminum lightweight mounts, same on a Borden Alpine, 260 Rem Mag contour, 23" 8 twist, shot under 1/2" for 3 at 200 yds.......

Use good parts, good smith, and they will all shoot.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/15/13
Also check out Bighorn Arms SR2 actions & BAT's HRPIC actions - they are both VERY NICE!!
Posted By: gbp Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/15/13
if you go with a defiance action make sure you discuss the scope mount options. some of their actions require modification to the scope mounts due to the lift of the bolt

jm$0.02
Posted By: slm9s Re: Pierce, Borden & Stiller - 11/16/13
The only Stiller I've owned wasn't as smooth as I thought it should be. I own a few Nesika's and Defiance actions, all excellent.
© 24hourcampfire