Home
Rick suggested a thread should be started to possibly design The 24hourcampfire McMillan Stock Pattern. As a fan of McMillan stocks, I'm all about this!

I have some wants, but they may not be shared by others. I'd like a straight comb on the Hunters Edge (Rem 700). I'd also like an inlet for the Kimber Montana. I prefer trim stocks with a less open grip. Small palm swells work...as does checkering.

If this comes full circle, I'd like to see something with many inlet options, not just something specified for one rifle.

Let's hear some input on your idea of the perfect design. Everybody has their own wants...
I would be really happy to see something resembling the Kimber Montana or KS stock, but available for more actions.
The 3 major criteria:
1: A slender stock design.
2. A high combed stock with negative drop in the comb.
3. Rounded under the action area, for ease of one handed carry.
I know I am a odd man out.. but a LW option that would work on a Ruger would be nice.
Posted By: SLM Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/03/14
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I would be really happy to see something resembling the Kimber Montana or KS stock, but available for more actions.
The 3 major criteria:

Defiantly, liking the SL except I hate the square edges on it.

The 3 major criteria:

I'm thinking along the same lines. Basically the Classic with a higher comb and heel (negative drop).
How about a KS Edge designed to hold a short action? Nothing would be more 24HourCampfire like than a KS stocked 7MM-08:)
I would love a stock as prairie goat suggests above with the grip geometry of the McMillan KS. Checkering or no checkering is fine by me.

A pure copy of the KS for the SA 700 and other actions would be nice, too, can't warm up to the looks of the Model 7 KS. Definitely think an inlet for the Kimber Montana would be required no matter what is decided!

Edge trim should be standard.
A kimber montana stock that will allow iron sites. You'd have the greatest rifle in the world.
The 3 major criteria:

I'm with Billy on the criteria. Of course it should be available in Edge fill.
I vote for Steelhead to be the Project Manager on this - seems he knows somebody at McMillan...........................???
I would like a stock that from the action back is like a Sako Hunter and the forend like a Echols Legend.
Originally Posted by rem338win
I would like a stock that from the action back is like a Sako Hunter and the forend like a Echols Legend.

Me too. But a slightly more open grip and more rounderer around the mag.

Travis
And I've gotten a lot of PM's asking if this project idea is ok and just so you guys know, I am fine with it.

Travis
I'd like something for a M70 FW along the lines of the Compact Edge but with a slightly longer fore end and a higher,straighter comb.Cheek piece would be nice. grin

Slim grip circumference yet slender through the mag box for easy carry,which the Compact is good at.

Yes I want the stock to handle BM... smile

Travis thanks for the AOK on this project... whistle grin
Love open grips, hate the vertical grips, but I'm likely in the minority there.

Rounded bottom would be nice as would a shorter forend.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

I have some wants, but they may not be shared by others. I'd like a straight comb on the Hunters Edge (Rem 700). I'd also like an inlet for the Kimber Montana. I prefer trim stocks with a less open grip. Small palm swells work...as does checkering.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd like something for a M70 FW along the lines of the Compact Edge but with a slightly longer fore end and a higher,straighter comb.Cheek piece would be nice.

Slim grip circumference yet slender through the mag box for easy carry,which the Compact is good at.

A modernized Compact would be awesome! Comb geometry similar to the Kimber Montanas is all I'd ask for. Love all else about the Compact. I'd buy at least two if this came to fruition... smile
Somebody grab the Red Phone and get Boxer.

Travis
I think it should have 'Legend' in the name. They would only need to sell 3 stocks to cover the cost of the mold.
Keep the forend length of the Compact/Hunter's Edge pattern along the open grip, round the magazine area, raise the comb and I'd buy 3-4 providing they can be inlet for Win M70's.
Hmmm, I'll give a little on that. If they move the inleting ahead 1/4".

Not all of us have pussy hands.... cool

You're ok meant nothing for me, I abide outside of your jurisdiction. There be men here. laugh
Originally Posted by rem338win
Hmmm, I'll give a little on that. If they move the inleting ahead 1/4".

Not all of us have pussy hands.... cool

You're ok meant nothing for me, I abide outside of your jurisdiction. There be men here. laugh

Then why did you ask?

Travis
I didn't say anything in the form of a question. That was someone else, and they may be inside your jurisdiction.

The stock would still need the palm swell. And it should be mandatory that they break the mold in with a McFlame swirly.....

All that matters is what I believe.

Have not done a flame pattern yet.

Travis
I'm thinking of doing a red, yellow and white flame at some point. If they did the pattern we just discussed I'd buy that in a heart beat for my 22-250AI. Hot winter coyote smoker.....

A slimmed down version of the Echols pattern would be great! Minus the faux grip cap thingy.
Posted By: Brad Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/03/14
The 3 major criteria:

This^

Essentially the Hunters Compact with a higher comb and no drop (or negative drop) would work perfectly for me.
So does the 20 G's include the person who should be taking notes and then do the real work?
I think it's more like Mcmillan will build a new stock if there's enough interest, and if we can all come to some sort of consensus. Kinda like what happened with the A5.
As long yall are not creating ruger boat paddle copy with a savage 110 inlet it will be hard to go wrong.
Originally Posted by EddyBo
As long yall are not creating ruger boat paddle copy with a savage 110 inlet it will be hard to go wrong.

You nailed it. Exactly what I want. In a Rainbow Gay Pride Swirl, inletted for the TC Dimension.

Basically this stock, but in a boat paddle configuration that has "GFY" instead of RUGER letters in the buttstock.

[Linked Image]
I just threw up a little in my mouth.....and I have low standards!
I'd like something for a M70 FW along the lines of the Compact Edge but with a slightly longer fore end and a higher,straighter comb......

Originally Posted by Wrongside
A modernized Compact would be awesome! Comb geometry similar to the Kimber Montanas is all I'd ask for. Love all else about the Compact. I'd buy at least two if this came to fruition... smile

Originally Posted by Oregon45
Keep the forend length of the Compact/Hunter's Edge pattern along the open grip, round the magazine area, raise the comb and I'd buy 3-4 providing they can be inlet for Win M70's.

Originally Posted by Brad
Essentially the Hunters Compact with a higher comb and no drop (or negative drop) would work perfectly for me.

Anybody else notice a pattern here?

It's the same thing I'd pick, a better Hunter's Edge pattern. Make the forend 1/2"-3/4" longer for no other reason that now it looks kind of goofy with a 24" barrel, RAISE THE FRIGGIN COMB!!! so those of us who actually put scopes on our rifles can shoot the danged thing, and give it no or a negative drop at heel. No monte carlos or goofy humps, just a nice high, straight comb that carries all the way to the buttpad. Nobody shoots iron sights anymore, and if they do they can take a grinder to the thing or pick one of the 100 other Mcmillan patterns that are perfect for iron sight shooting midgets.
I'm the opposite, I'd like a shorter forend for 20" tubes.

I don't see the reason for a slim, compact stock so you can slap 24-26" tacticool rifles in it.

Plenty of stocks for those.
Campfire pattern stock debuted almost a decade ago! grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...h/true/CUSTOM_Stocks_For_Sale#Post305987
Posted By: LBP Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/04/14
Round off the bottom of the compact and give it a straight comb, that would be about perfect for me.
Originally Posted by Greenback
A slimmed down version of the Echols pattern would be great! Minus the faux grip cap thingy.

This!!!
So there we have it, Sako Hunter butt with a palm swell on a Remington classic wrist, and a Legend action area and forend but with the area around the bottom metal rounded and the forend shortened 3/4". With panel checkering of course.....
The rest of you can pound sand laugh
I'd like something for a M70 FW along the lines of the Compact Edge but with a slightly longer fore end and a higher,straighter comb.Cheek piece would be nice. grin

Make it simple - just bring back the G&H.

I'm on board with a compact sporting a raised comb and a more rounded bottom.

Fore end is fine.
Posted By: EdM Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/04/14
I'd like to see one exactly the same as Mark Bansner's.
The 3 major criteria:

Yep.....
Originally Posted by Gasman

Make it simple - just bring back the G&H.

gasman: Nice, but grip is a smidge too tight...in both 300 and 338 mag it slammed the trigger guard into my little ol' hand cry unless I gripped it like an animal.

Now funny thing is I had a G&H rifle chambered 338 and the grip was a hair more open....no issue.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
How about a KS Edge designed to hold a short action? Nothing would be more 24HourCampfire like than a KS stocked 7MM-08:)

I'm with you, I could like it without the cheek hump on the side also.
AND available in swirly & camo
Posted By: RDW Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/04/14
If McM follows through, would this be a 2014 or a 2015 stock?
Modify existing classic with narrower fore end that maxes out at a rem mag sported or #3.

Maybe that ready exists?

Edited to add - would love a small palm swell on the classic too
Higher straight comb, with a small cheekpiece. Rounded under the action and slim forend like a MR. Open grip like the Compact.

Basically a 700KS stock, slightly slimmed, and inlet for all action types including Winchester and Kimber.

If Micky would just make an exact copy of the Brown Precision Pounder stock pattern, they'd have everything that we're looking for. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery anyway. Brown has had the ergos perfect for a few decades now. Micky is just too stubborn to admit it IMO.
Posted By: Brad Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/05/14
McMillan Patterns, including the compact, really suck compared to the Brown.

Not sure what decade the designer of their recent offerings is from, but it's pre-1965.
something clos to the rimrock stock would be nice
How soon after the left hand version hits the streets before the RH version is available?
Make sure the grip has enough length for four fat fingers. Some stocks seem to think three fingers is enough if you can put the pinky under that pistol grip. It's NOT.

Also pay attention to cast and a wider butt pad for recoil absorption.
Originally Posted by Greenback

I would be all over that in short action, with a forend proportioned for an 18-20" barrel.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'd like something for a M70 FW along the lines of the Compact Edge but with a slightly longer fore end and a higher,straighter comb......

Originally Posted by Wrongside

Originally Posted by Oregon45

Originally Posted by Brad

Anybody else notice a pattern here?

It's the same thing I'd pick, a better Hunter's Edge pattern. Make the forend 1/2"-3/4" longer for no other reason that now it looks kind of goofy with a 24" barrel, RAISE THE FRIGGIN COMB!!! so those of us who actually put scopes on our rifles can shoot the danged thing, and give it no or a negative drop at heel. No monte carlos or goofy humps, just a nice high, straight comb that carries all the way to the buttpad. Nobody shoots iron sights anymore, and if they do they can take a grinder to the thing or pick one of the 100 other Mcmillan patterns that are perfect for iron sight shooting midgets.

With 1/4" cast off on top and 3/8" on the bottom, and a wide ass for recoil management, I'd be all over that.

Actually the Kimber Montana stock is awesome the way it comes, just too short for me.
The 3 major criteria:

This is a pretty common theme...and would make a heck of a stock. It wouldn't take many changes to the Hunters Edge for perfection.

I still don't mind a slight palm swell. Something similar to the Sako Hunter, maybe even a little less. It just makes the pad of the finger and trigger come together perfectly in my hands.
I'd like to see the forend size in line with the Classic to accommodate for #1 to #4.
Originally Posted by noKnees
I know I am a odd man out.. but a LW option that would work on a Ruger would be nice.

+1
Posted By: JPro Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/06/14
I'd like a Classic with things reworked from the grip to the butt, allowing for a higher/thicker comb and better head placement. A small notch for bolt travel like on the A1-3 would be fine by me.

Regarding smaller patterns, the Compact would be dandy with a bit higher comb.
I dig wrap around checkering...
McMillan can do nothing with all the feedback so far. Everyone has a different opinion...probably why they offer so many stocks.

If they took the forearm from a "classic" and put it on the "Sako Hunter", it would be perfection.

I'd like a Gamescout with a higher comb too.
Its almost laughable to think that guys here are going to agree on one pattern..aint gonna happen

There's a whole bunch of agreement in this thread. A Hunters Edge with a higher comb, or something quite similar, has been brought up numerous times.

Posted By: Brad Re: Campfire McMillan Pattern...? - 01/07/14
Yup.
I'm shooting for the moon on this one, but a stock like this in an edge fill capable of handling a 375 H&H type recoil (and inletted for the CZ-550, amongst others, if I can keep dreaming).
[Linked Image]
Photo is of a Joel Dorleac rifle.
I could use several stocks made with that pattern.
Higher comb. Keep the forend fit for #3 or less. No belly fat, smooth transition from forend to grip. Open grip. Under 22oz finished. Include Tikka and Kimber...

W
'Campfire discount would put more jingle in their pocket than another pattern.....
It's really pretty easy. Fix the low comb on the Hunters Edge.

If somebody wants another stock after that, go for it.

Wondering if we could do a top 3 designs, then vote on it sort of thing. Also what the timeframe this would take to design and get out on the market.
I am in on the modified Hunters Edge.
It's really pretty easy. Fix the low comb on the Hunters Edge.

And add just a slim cheekpiece to mitigate recoil.
I had a good talk with D'Arcy Echols yesterday and found out he has a Legend pattern stock for the RH BDL Remington 700 on it's way to McMillan to have a mold made. It will have the same shadow line cheek piece, cast off at the toe and heel, high scope comb, checkered, etc. as the Model 70 Legend stock but is made specifically for the grip geometry of the 700. Hopefully the mold should be done 4 months
The stock should also be useable on the Borden Defiance, Aztec Arms and any of the other similar Remington clones with Remington style tangs.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
McMillan can do nothing with all the feedback so far. Everyone has a different opinion...probably why they offer so many stocks.

If they took the forearm from a "classic" and put it on the "Sako Hunter", it would be perfection.

I'd like a Gamescout with a higher comb too.

Another one for the darkside. wink
Originally Posted by 458Win
I had a good talk with D'Arcy Echols yesterday and found out he has a Legend pattern stock for the RH BDL Remington 700 on it's way to McMillan to have a mold made. It will have the same shadow line cheek piece, cast off at the toe and heel, high scope comb, checkered, etc. as the Model 70 Legend stock but is made specifically for the grip geometry of the 700. Hopefully the mold should be done 4 months
The stock should also be useable on the Borden Defiance, Aztec Arms and any of the other similar Remington clones with Remington style tangs.

Thanks for that update Phil. Now I have to plan some orders......
I am waiting for one for the short action length for my 40X

They are a comfortable and controllable stock
I really like the one on my M-70 9.3x62

[Linked Image]
That 9.3 looks the epitome of a modern working Alaskan rifle. How do you find the stock with that peep?
Phil, will the M700 stock be available in both long and short action or just adaptable to short action?

The Hill Country Bridges stock with just a little less open grip would be about perfect also.

The Echols Legend is a bit fat in the forearm for a light rifle.
i had one of the hill country stocks and loved it accept for the grip also.......i really like the checkering on it also not as fine as the standard mcmillans
The stock is a bit high for use with the peep unless you use abit higher sights.
and according to D'Arcy the first stocks will be for LA RH actions
Did anything ever come from this discussion or are we stuck with currently available patterns?

Originally Posted by Scorpion
. . . or are we stuck with currently available patterns?

Geez - you expecting Baskin Robbins and 31 flavors for each particular rifle? I think their selection is pretty darn good myself.
Nope, I think most offerings are pretty good as well. I was just hoping something would come of this and we'd see a new pattern offered. I think the hive here came up some pretty good ideas.
High comb hunters edge sounds good. Someone should start a poll with the different options and then see how the top three would fit together.
© 24hourcampfire