Home
I have a Rem 700 in .270. It has a custom 24" Magnum size barrell on it that I would like to have drilled out to a .284 but be able to leave everything else the same. Is this possible? Or do I need a new bolt and receiver. I would eventually like to get a one piece machined bolt
New bolt or open up your current bolt face.Id probably rebarrel instead of rebore.
I think most of the places that rebore request that the new bore size is 2 calibers larger than the current. I.E. .277 to .308, or .308 to .338. I would just go ahead and buy the one piece bolt with the correct bolt face and a mini-16 extractor already installed.

John
Why not rebarrel to 280ai.can load to mimic 7mm
It would be much faster, less expensive and endure less risk to sell that existing barreled rifle as it is and buy another rifle the way you want it!

smile
Easier and cheaper to open up the bolt face and rechamber to 270 Weatherby Mag.

As stated above, reboring usually isn't done for less than 2 calibers to clean up the barrel and cut new rifling. Buying a new barrel and having it installed will run in the neighborhood of $450-$650 by time you're done and if it is CM it will still need to be blued. Add another $150 or so.

Bob
The factory 7 Mag barrel is the second most popular tomato stake in the world. 06 being the first.

If you had to spend more money than just tripping your rig and buying what you want then a 7 mag barrel for the cost of shipping could most likely happen. Its a place to start. Bolt face m16 extractor rail work mag box and follower.

Or sell your 270 and buy a new mag ss action with the money.

W
I'll echo the sentiments of some of the other guys here...you can open up the bolt face of your current action if you want...I wouldn't rebore and can't think of many companies that would rebore such a small difference in calibers. Rechamber to .270 Weatherby or rebarrel.

Another option though...you could probably go on Gunbroker and find a complete M700 in 7mm Rem Mag for less than the cost of all the smith work to change your current action over. It was one of the MOST common chamberings a few decades ago so there's a bunch of them out there. Not uncommon to see them for less than $400 (sometimes way less).

True rifle loonies don't rebuild...they add to the collection. grin
Originally Posted by Pretty much Everybody who shoots a .270 Win.
A .270 is just as good as a 7mm Mag....
I absolutely love the idea of turning this rifle into a .270 weatherby mag. That would be sweet. Thank you for that Sheister. Now, who is the most affordable Smith I can send this rifle to?
I just spoke with a Smith and he suggested a PGT one piece bolt which I was going to get anyway. He acted like it was a simple task.
This is my primary elk hunting rifle and a .270 weatherby mag will be the bomb.The cool thing is I already have a custom 24" magnum barrel on the rifle.
Totally cool thx for the idea,
Rod
Think about a,270 sherman. You don't have to change bolt face. Just cut new chamber in current barrel. Same velocity an easier to find brass
Sell it and buy a 7 RM.

Heckofalot cheaper!
Originally Posted by efw
Sell it and buy a 7 RM.

Heckofalot cheaper!

But not as fun............

The 270 Bee is a really nice round.
Turning a 270 into a 7RM strikes me as a good way to spend a bunch of money to take a small step sideways.

If you reload, there are some new design 270 bullets that will enable the 270 to surpass factory 7RM ballistics downrange...on paper.

If you don't reload, then I see even less reason.

If not a reloader the better option is to save up $400 and buy a 6.5 Creed.

If a reloader, I'd still go Creed.

The Creed is the Poor Man's 270 and the Rich Man's 7mm Mag.
Can those 270 bullets that surpass the 7mag be stabilized in a factory 270?
Ziggy. You never said what was lacking from the gun or what exactly you wanted to have when done....

How does it shoot now? Weight? Who's barrel? Twist? Stock? May be as-is works for someone else much more than it works for you. Things to consider..

W
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Turning a 270 into a 7RM strikes me as a good way to spend a bunch of money to take a small step sideways.

If you reload, there are some new design 270 bullets that will enable the 270 to surpass factory 7RM ballistics downrange...on paper.

If you don't reload, then I see even less reason.

If not a reloader the better option is to save up $400 and buy a 6.5 Creed.

If a reloader, I'd still go Creed.

The Creed is the Poor Man's 270 and the Rich Man's 7mm Mag.

confused

Lot of contradictions in that post.

I don't understand how people can honestly think "as a reloader I can make a .270 / .280 match a 7mm Rem Mag."

As a reloader, you would be able to make the 7mm Rem Mag outrun any .270W or .280R. If he is trying to accomplish some longrange work, the twist restriction in the majority of .270 barrels will limit which higher BC bullets can be used....and there is a far greater selection of high BC bullets in .284" currently than in .277". If he is trying to get higher SD (therefore heavier) bullets up to a given speed, then the '06 case won't compare to the modified H&H case just because of powder capacity (comparing same or very similar calibers).

But the OP never said why he was looking to change...just said he wanted to. His later response about liking the suggestion of the .270Wby tells me he probably just wants more "oomph" whether for heavier bullets, more speed, or whatever...the OP hasn't stated a reason. Maybe he's just bored with the .270W?

How the hell the Creed ever got brought into this as a "better" solution makes no sense. What is it a solution to? The OP never even stated the problem.

The Creed is the poor man's .270? I challenge anyone with a Creed to compare feeding costs with a .270 if hunting on a budget is a concern. With all the cheap hunting ammo out there available for the .270, as well as cheap rifles, it won't even be a comparison.
280ai
If budget is a big deal then why go changing around an intact rifle in the first place?
Agreed. I probably got side-tracked by the Creed and "poor man's .270" comment...but there are so many suggestions being thrown around here when people don't even know why the OP wants to change.

He said he wanted to turn his rifle into a 7mm Rem Mag...which would require a rebarrel...which he doesn't want to do.

Someone suggested a rechamber to the .270Wby and the OP seemed giddy at the thought.

That tells me that the OP just wants an increase in horsepower. Why? Who knows...he didn't say...but if he wants an increase in HP, why suggest assorted chamberings that require a different barrel when that is the ONE thing we know the OP doesn't want?
I wouldn't go to the trouble of opening it up for any magnum head size cartridge.
trade the 270 for a 7 mag and save yourself a lot of money and trouble
Hard to believe this forum would even consider suggesting that a member should not build any rifle "just because". I'm starting to think this forum has lost it's rifle loony status and the long winter is turning everyone into closet knitting club members.....

Men, get hold of yourselves before it's too late!

Bob
Keep that rifle, buy a 7 mag. You need at least 20 deer rifles. Anyone agree??
Nah, 19 are plenty. grin
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Agreed. I probably got side-tracked by the Creed and "poor man's .270" comment...but there are so many suggestions being thrown around here when people don't even know why the OP wants to change.

He said he wanted to turn his rifle into a 7mm Rem Mag...which would require a rebarrel...which he doesn't want to do.

Someone suggested a rechamber to the .270Wby and the OP seemed giddy at the thought.

That tells me that the OP just wants an increase in horsepower. Why? Who knows...he didn't say...but if he wants an increase in HP, why suggest assorted chamberings that require a different barrel when that is the ONE thing we know the OP doesn't want?

My response was because of a barrel and boltface change. Simpler to buy a 7mm Rem mag. But then again its not my money.
Originally Posted by sidepass
blah...blah...blah....

My response was because of a barrel and boltface change. Simpler to buy a 7mm Rem mag. But then again its not my money.

I hear ya...that was one of the suggestions in my first reply on this thread:

I'll echo the sentiments of some of the other guys here...you can open up the bolt face of your current action if you want...I wouldn't rebore and can't think of many companies that would rebore such a small difference in calibers. Rechamber to .270 Weatherby or rebarrel.

Another option though...you could probably go on Gunbroker and find a complete M700 in 7mm Rem Mag for less than the cost of all the smith work to change your current action over. It was one of the MOST common chamberings a few decades ago so there's a bunch of them out there. Not uncommon to see them for less than $400 (sometimes way less).

True rifle loonies don't rebuild...they add to the collection.
grin

If I had the option to invest a bunch of money in smith costs to achieve a result that was already available...and abundantly available for about the same amount I am about to spend...then I am going to buy the already available and complete product. As a lefty, I don't usually have this option though.

And as you state, not my money and who are we to justify a loony's actions? smile
Originally Posted by Savage_99
It would be much faster, less expensive and endure less risk to sell that existing barreled rifle as it is and buy another rifle the way you want it!

smile

Absolutely, this is the best and least cost path for you
...but there are so many suggestions being thrown around here when people don't even know why the OP wants to change.

What good is knowing when it would spoil all their fun... laugh
yes 280 AI, its pretty pepppy, awesome bullet selection. no bolt change. and no dinking with the belt when you reload cases.
Originally Posted by bea175
trade the 270 for a 7 mag and save yourself a lot of money and trouble

This.

We're talking about two very common chamberings, so it should be a short search.

Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Pretty much Everybody who shoots a .270 Win.
A .270 is just as good as a 7mm Mag....

Depends on the bullet, and of course, you knew that.

145 ELD-X @ 3,000 might be something.
It'll never be a 175 ELD-X at 3000.... but all the .270 guys will claim "it's the same"...
Read it again....
It'll never be a 175 ELD-X at 3000.... but all the .270 guys will claim "it's the same"...

Not this one....

I've hunted with nothing but a 270 or a 7 Rem Mag, for years,loaded and shot rounds by the thousands from each.

Im a 270 fan but anybody who thinks it equals a 7 Rem Mag is not out there shooting a lot or os manipulating data..

OTOH anyone who thinks a 270 is a punk western BG cartridge just has little experience with it.... smile
.563 vs .613 blah, blah, blah. OP hasn't mentioned one bullet. 7 Mag is always better than a 270. Always. Has to be. Especially because the pro's can read gnat farts at 500 yards and 3.1 MOA is harder to hold than 2.6 MOA, @ FV. Numbers on paper, this is 2017 version of the same 2016, 2015, 2014.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Warm and fuzzy.....

Grin and all the other typical campfire jargon.
That'd be a .54 vs .66.... (.277 145 ELD-X vs .284 175 ELD-X)... at equal velocity...

But you knew that already....

That's giving up 20%.... I guess if 20% is no big deal.... you can send me 20% of your next paycheck....

Yet to see anyone pushing 175's at 3K, but I'm sure you're all over it. Just keep cutting and pasting.

That'd be a .54 vs .66.... (.277 145 ELD-X vs .284 175 ELD-X)... at equal velocity...

But you knew that already....

That's giving up 20%.... I guess if 20% is no big deal.... you can send me 20% of your next paycheck....

I will...... smile if it means the 270 is shorter, lighter,and handier in oak brush jungles, or north slope timber where big mature mule deer bucks live; and a 24-26" barreled 7 mag is clearly superfluous and sort of a PITA. Not that I never carried them mind you,and they worked.

Bit truth is the BIGGEST mule deer I encountered out west were killed under 300 yards, is broken or heavy cover.

But as you can see I'm a fan of both.

Here's a couple of victims of 22" barreled 270's that I "managed to hit" smile in mixed cover. (One guided although I was alone;and the other unguided....). They died about as well as those hit equally with the 7 mag,although I think the 7 mag shows better, in general, at distance.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 16bore
Yet to see anyone pushing 175's at 3K, but I'm sure you're all over it. Just keep cutting and pasting.

And I've yet to see anyone actually shooting a 145 ELD-X at ANY velocity...but I'm sure you're all over it. Just keep speculating out your ass....

And I've yet to see anyone actually shooting a 145 ELD-X at ANY velocity...but I'm sure you're all over it. Just keep speculating out your ass....

How are the 175's shooting?

Don't be afraid to admit to the time and money you've wasted chasing your ass for a mystical advantage "to kill you a deer". I mean, that's what we're talking right? Or are you still wanting a F1 car to get groceries? Oh wait, this must be about "competition"

I hear them deers are extra far away this year and extra tough. But not as tough as next year.
Oh, and scribe that load data. Ima try me some 175's in my 7RM cause them 162's just suck ass and are soooooo 2008.

How are the 175's shooting?

Don't be afraid to admit to the time and money you've wasted chasing your ass for a mystical advantage "to kill you a deer". I mean, that's what we're talking right? Or are you still wanting a F1 car to get groceries? Oh wait, this must be about "competition"

I hear them deers are extra far away this year and extra tough. But not as tough as next year.

More like an F-150 vs. F-250....

You sending me that 20% or not?

I've wasted A LOT of time chasing all kinds of advantages.... so have you... you've just come to some arbitrary Mendoza Line that works for you, and your needs, that fits within your confines of time/money/effort. Now your plugging your ears and stomping your feet saying that your choice is "just as good"... or even "the same"... when the facts are staring you in the face.... Liberal much?

I've got a box of 175s on the bench... and a brand new 7 Mag sitting in bedding in a McClassic as we speak. It'll only be a matter of time before I know what's what with the 175/7 mag combo..... all while you're still rubbing one out to the mythical 145 .270 ELDX... even though you'll never actually shoot one.

Feel free to post your experience and load for the 145s... oh wait... this isn't about actual performance... it's about a .270 shooter puffing his chest out and saying his new magical bullet makes .540 on the BC chart and that effectively turns his .270 into a Seven Mag..... keep trying...

Here's where I pat you on the head for the good try. Orange Slices and Juice Boxes for all the .270 participants!!
You have a whole box? Wow! Don't forget the welding mask when you hit 3K.

But wait, this one goes to 11....

That's better than your no boxes of 145s....

Don't forget your magic BC pixie dust for your 145s.... then they might actually break .500.... I doubt it though...

I was shooting 195s at 2800 a couple days ago... .75 BC FWIW...

Since someone, Bob maybe?, brought up muleys... In the last three years I've shot or witnessed three above average muleys get shot and the closest one was 440 yards, so I'll take every advantage I can get. But maybe my stalking skillz aren't as good as you east coast guys.
That's better than your no boxes of 145s....

Don't forget your magic BC pixie dust for your 145s.... then they might actually break .500.... I doubt it though...

Tell me what to look for between a 10 mph and 13 mph wind call at 500. I don't know and neither do you.

Keep dreaming the dream. Perhaps the "difference" between the two is the net difference in drift after the misread. Dunno, educate me since you missed fizics and ekonimicks class. Somehow a guy can learn lots o' stuff with .435's at 2,950. But maybe not. Of course not. NEVER.

Then throw in all the other variables that don't exist or a 1/2 MOA rifles vs a 1 MOA rifle, blah, blah, blah and so on.

Be sure to YouTube the load work up. Hope I'm wrong AGAIN.

Now I'm feeling sorry for my 7RM, because I thought it was JAFR.....

I've got Retumbo, H1000, Magpro and RE 25 sitting here... I'll get working on a load here soon. Until then I'm gonna dream about the A-Bolt .270 I may someday own....

Bore... I've shot more than a little bit of .525 BC at 2900-3000 fps... though it was in a .260. And I know for a fact that on blustery days, it's easier to make hits with a .600+ BC at those same velocities... to the tune of about a third more first round hits. Easy as that.

Not sure where the formula for empirical evidence is on the Excel Spreadsheet....
2+2=potato
© 24hourcampfire