Home
Posted By: Longbeardking The herd grows - 10/29/23
To be honest I never really looked at one of these with the thought of owning one. Then I spotted one on GI and looked it over. I was smitten with it. But, as usual, I kept procrastinating. Next thing you know the bayonet was gone and the price dropped. Now I wasn't so interested. If I was going to buy one I wanted a complete one. I really had no idea how to proceed so I forgot all about it. I messaged a member here as I do frequently just to talk and lo and behold HE was the owner of the MHG. We talked and made a deal and bow it lives in NH. There are some peculiarities about this one that I will solve one step at a time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Timing and luck..........

Congratulations!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Beautiful, is that the Reddings gun Stephen?
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Beautiful, is that the Reddings gun Stephen?

No. Private sale from a member here. I couldn't be happier. Rack # 420
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Notman gun? If so, I can tell you some details.
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
You better hunt that!
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
That is beyond cool!
Originally Posted by 300jimmy
You better hunt that!

Trust me I would like too, but truth is the only way I could is to put an tang sight on it and honestly I don't think my eyes would cope with that.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
You could be the first to take one with a BAYONET! No sights required. laugh laugh wink
Posted By: steve99 Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Congrats Steve! Great gun.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Very cool! Love it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Rick99
You could be the first to take one with a BAYONET! No sights required. laugh laugh wink

laugh

Seriously, congrats on a superb snag.
Posted By: BIG_JOE Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Congrats Steve.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Congrats again Stephen. Very nice find.
Posted By: saddlering Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Wow nice grab buddy! Congrads!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Is it legal to take turkeys in NH with a bayonet?

I mean.. I want video. grin
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Very Nice! Congrats.
In the words of a GREAT man from Maine, it's ONLY a gun. Stop your damn drooling and wipe up. I will have another question once I find the picture I am looking for.

It didn't take long to find the picture. Look at picture # 3. I thought the general assumption was that Sav 30 was 30-30 Win. Was there EVER a time when Sav 30 was indeed .303 Sav? When I first saw that (BEFORE I bought it) I questioned it. I was assured the rifle was .303 Savage. The first thing I did was to load 5 factory rounds in the magazine. It loaded and ejected all 5 slicker than slime on a doorknob. I have actually talked to others other who's are stamped 303. Am I or we missing something?

Posted By: texken Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Rick99
LMAO
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Never mind, I'm on ignore. I'll keep what I know to myself. LOL
Posted By: 99guy Re: The herd grows - 10/29/23
Interesting markings on that guns barrel.

Any other provenance on the gun that you know of? Including the butt stock letters which I presume spell a name?
Posted By: SomisSteve Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
Great snag. I am sure you will get lots of enjoyment out of it.
Steve
Posted By: Rick99 Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
There is an extra ring of metal added to the front of the receiver that holds the rear of the top forearm wood. Are you sure that the last 3 is not under that ring?

The early MHG rifles did not have a caliber stamped where you could see it. After 1654xx they are marked on top of the receiver ring. Wonder how may have had the .303 British round poked in them? Luckily the round is too long.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
The only other one I have seen was stamped .303 Sav all visible. As I said, I loaded and cycled 5 rounds of factory .303 Sav with 0 issues. I did not remove the wood to look, not do I intend to. It will remain a mystery.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
By 1914 Sav30 had not been used for about 12 years
Posted By: GeneB Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
It looks like the last 3 is just covered by the shadow of the rear band, the font is not correct for the early SAV 30 stamp, it's the standard 303 style, and it's farther forward than the SAV 30 stamps were.

Added, tried to get a bigger picture attached, top is a SAV 30, middle LBK's and bottom another MHG with the caliber also on the receiver ring.

Attached picture temp.png
Attached picture temp.jpg
Originally Posted by GeneB
It looks like the last 3 is just covered by the shadow of the rear band, the font is not correct for the early SAV 30 stamp, it's the standard 303 style, and it's farther forward than the SAV 30 stamps were.

Added, tried to get a bigger picture attached, top is a SAV 30, middle LBK's and bottom another MHG with the caliber also on the receiver ring.

Thank you, Gene. As I said the only info I have is picture # 3. I do know for sure the chamber is .303 and the wood is in place, not to be removed by me
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
I fired that rifle with 303 Savage ammo when I owned it.

Oh, there I go again trying to help. Must stop doing that.
I'm in Gene's camp on this. The other thing I'll toss in is, if I'm not mistaken (no books with me), that the barrel address on it was used from about SN 100k to 200k, so that barrel does not date to the timeframe the SAV 30 stamp was used.

More pics like Gene's:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stanme Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
Congratulations Steve. Is this Nan's new gun? When you are up this way ii sure would like to see it.
Originally Posted by stanme
Congratulations Steve. Is this Nan's new gun? When you are up this way ii sure would like to see it.

A BIG thank you to you.

We need to get up that way soon. Nan and I are deer hunting mid November on Anticosti. It's a tough time of the year to squeeze in a trip with the holidays. I will give you a call when it happens. I'd love to show it to you.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
Congrats on a sweet pickup. I am very happy it's in a great home.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
Great find,i hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I'm in Gene's camp on this. The other thing I'll toss in is, if I'm not mistaken (no books with me), that the barrel address on it was used from about SN 100k to 200k, so that barrel does not date to the timeframe the SAV 30 stamp was used.

More pics like Gene's:
[Linked Image]

Issue SOLVED. I removed the upper wood. And Gene was right.

Terrific. You will sleep well tonight.
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Congrats on a sweet pickup. I am very happy it's in a great home.

Thanks, Jim.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
Originally Posted by 99guy
Interesting markings on that guns barrel.

Any other provenance on the gun that you know of? Including the butt stock letters which I presume spell a name?
Yes, there is other provenance, check out the 4th or 5th post. The letters spell Notman.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
Do the muster rolls of the Montreal Home Guard exist? Would be neat to confirm the name on the stock to a member of same.

Again, Stephen, excellent great snag.
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Yes, there is other provenance, check out the 4th or 5th post. The letters spell Notman.

There used to be, not anymore. F him.
Why would anyone go out of their way to help someone that has them on ignore, takes them off ignore to send them a message, then puts them back on ignore.
Posted By: texken Re: The herd grows - 10/30/23
I owned one about 12 years ago, if I remember the .303 was in plain sight, had kept it a number of years looking for the bayonet, finally sold the MHG to Savage collector in Mason, Tx. at the Fredericksburg gun show, same place I sold a engraved 22hp, to a seller that listed it on G I
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: The herd grows - 10/31/23
Don't know about a roster. I looked up the name of the guy who had owned my MHG. He was a prominent business man in Montreal but it didn't say anything about him being in the guard. He was the right age, early 40's.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: The herd grows - 11/02/23
Very nice Steve. It would look great in a rack in the back window of your pickup. grin
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: The herd grows - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Very nice Steve. It would look great in a rack in the back window of your pickup. grin

Thanks George. Nice to hear from a friendly voice.
Posted By: norm99 Re: The herd grows - 11/26/23
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

good grab Steve , i have been away for 4 weeks, I also just picked one up 1684xx forget rack number . i need to finish paying before i bring it home.

If you need more info get hold of Trix99, he has about all the info you need . Accordinf to Blair trix99 , if the ingraving is on the side of the reciever that denotes that the owner was probable an officer just a name on the wood would be more like a private..

I did not get a Bayonet with mine but do have the original silng and sight hood,

again congrates on grabing one.

norm
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: The herd grows - 11/26/23
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

good grab Steve , i have been away for 4 weeks, I also just picked one up 1684xx forget rack number . i need to finish paying before i bring it home.

If you need more info get hold of Trix99, he has about all the info you need . Accordinf to Blair trix99 , if the ingraving is on the side of the reciever that denotes that the owner was probable an officer just a name on the wood would be more like a private..

I did not get a Bayonet with mine but do have the original silng and sight hood,

again congrates on grabing one.

norm

Thank you, Norm. I will get in touch with Blair. I have talked extensively to Joe (Maddog) about it and he has been helpful. I am happy you found one as well. Most likely I paid too much but got a heck of a good price considering the original asking price. I am happy.
Posted By: norm99 Re: The herd grows - 11/26/23
PM incoming
Posted By: girlguncollector Re: The herd grows - 11/26/23
This is a sweet rifle congratulations!!! I know if we were to add one like this Kurt would be drooling also !!!
© 24hourcampfire