Home
Posted By: AJ59 Stock finish. - 12/23/23
I came across a Savage 99 C A series at a local pawn shop I frequent from time to time. It's in 308 Winchester and appears to be in really good condition. I checked the serial number and it shows to have been manufactured in 1972 . My question has to do with the stock finish. It's definitely been refinished and has a coat of varnish on it. Doesn't look that bad but whoever did it partially sanded the checkering. Did this gun originally have a varnished finish, or oil finish? Also, is it supposed to have press checkering or cut checkering. It looks to me like it was originally cut checkered. My plan once I get it is to strip the finish off the wood and recut the checkering. Looks like some very light sanding will take care of the sand marks. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
Then if you are going to refinish it, what difference does it make? If it's too much money for you, negotiate it.
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
I was just interested in what it would have looked like originally. Thank you.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
Google is your friend, there is the exact gun you described pictured with cut checkering and a satin gloss finish.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
Early versions were pressed and I believe 1972 would fall into that category.

Pictures would help with a diagnosis.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
Should look like this, but how dark/light it is would vary. Believe the catalogs called the finish Electro-Cote..

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
Thank you for the responses. From the photo I can see that it is a press checked pattern. I may just leave the Finish alone and do a light rubbing with some steel wool or fine Scotch-Brite pad to knock the sheen off of it. My only other 99 is a 1939 EG model. It's a smooth stock, no checkering. The rifle I'm looking at is in good shape, the rifling and the bore is very sharp and bright. It's the only 99c I've ever handled. The barrel is definitely heavier than on my 99 EG in 300 savage. I've wanted one in .308 win for a while because of ammo availability. I think the price is fair. $800 out the door. I have a El Paso Weaver that would look correct on it. It will be used for hunting.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Stock finish. - 12/23/23
Marlin used what to me looked like a very similar finish that, I think, was basically sprayed on for mass production. I'm not a fan of the look or technique, but you could probably duplicate the original Savage finish with a carefully applied rattle can of gloss Minwax.

A lot of guys shun post-mil 99s, however for your intended purpose it should serve you well. As for scopes, you could always step up your game with a good older Leupold, Lyman or Redfield. Or a Unertl Hawk if ya want extra points for cool!
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Stock finish. - 12/24/23
I believe what threw me off was the gloss finish. When I got it home, looking it over it looks to be the original finish on the stock. I removed the forend and the buttstock and sealed the end grain as well as any area that looked like bare wood. The internals were fairly clean. Cleaned the bore, nice and shiny with sharp rifling. Probably won't get to the range until after New Years. Going to shoot it first before I do any work on the barrel channel. Thank you for the suggestions on the scopes. An older Leopold 2-7 vari X2 or 1-4 would be great. I hunt in what's referred to as the Post Oak Savannah of Eastern Texas. Post oaks, mesquite, black locust, and Native grasses. The deer aren't as big as they are in the Golden Triangle of South Texas but they're still nice. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Stock finish. - 12/24/23
You are welcome and Merry Xmas too!
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Stock finish. - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by AJ59
I hunt in what's referred to as the Post Oak Savannah of Eastern Texas. Post oaks, mesquite, black locust, and Native grasses.

Many years ago, our extended family had a 20-year lease west of Buffalo just south of highway 79. In fact, my avatar picture was taken in front of our cabin/shack on that lease.

Are you hunting anywhere close to there?
Posted By: oldotter Re: Stock finish. - 12/24/23
I came across a Savage 99 C A series at a local pawn shop I frequent from time to time. It's in 308 Winchester and appears to be in really good condition. I checked the serial number and it shows to have been manufactured in 1972 . My question has to do with the stock finish. It's definitely been refinished and has a coat of varnish on it. Doesn't look that bad but whoever did it partially sanded the checkering. Did this gun originally have a varnished finish, or oil finish? Also, is it supposed to have press checkering or cut checkering. It looks to me like it was originally cut checkered. My plan once I get it is to strip the finish off the wood and recut the checkering. Looks like some very light sanding will take care of the sand marks. Thanks in advance.

Since its been refinished previously, and originality is out the window, my vote goes to a hand rubbed oil finish. When done right they are hard to beat.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Stock finish. - 12/24/23
Oil finish: warmth and charm, sucks as a finish for continued outdoor use. Commercial gun companies and gov't arsenals employed oil finishes not because it was the best but because it was the cheapest.

Barrier finish (varnish, lacquer, etc.): not as aesthetically pleasing (unless given proper final finishing steps that many lazy people won't do), but hell for weather/abrasion resistance.

By the time the OP's gun was made American industry was buying into the use of conversion varnishes (think spray-on varnish with drying/curing characteristics similar to lacquer). Not generally available to the public because of health hazards in use and strict protocols for application. Replication isn't easy. Since it's a post-mil gun intended for lots of hunting and a likely candidate for re-finishing I would opt for a good varnish, but that's not an option for someone who shies away from tediousness. Half-assed varnishing looks worse than half-assed oiling, but if done right can be world class classy.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Stock finish. - 12/24/23
I have a 358 Brush rifle. It came with a gaudy shiny varnish finish that the previous owner had scratched the finish in a few places. I rubbed the scratched wood very lightly with 6 ought steel wool to take the gloss off. Put a couple of coats of gunstock wax hand buffed to a soft sheen. Came out to my desired finish. GW
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Stock finish. - 12/25/23
Merry Christmas to all! Thanks for all the great advice and recommendations. I hunt east of Lexington south of FM 696. Small property, 21 acres surrounded by cattle. No cattle on this property. One tank, mequite, chickasaw plums, dewberries, mustang grapes, some acorns. The deer love the perennial rye grass that comes up after the weather cools off. I don't shy away from a good oil finish on a firearm. Discovered Renaissance wax so wet weather doesn't bother me. I made a boma around an old Case hay bailer with mesquite limbs, straw, etc. I've had deer walk by at 15 feet. Long story short I didn't start deer hunting until 4 years ago. I'm 64. Dad died young, I'm the baby in the family. Life kept me from pursuing some things until recently. Going through my second childhood. Having a great time. I think this rifle would look good with an oil finish even with the pressed checkering.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Stock finish. - 12/25/23
We seem to be of the same vintage and, after putting all sorts of things aside in the name of that four letter word we call work, I too am looking forward to starting my second childhood soon. Hope all is going well with yours and be sure to enjoy that 99 and all the great advice the good fellows on this forum have to offer!
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Stock finish. - 12/25/23
I hunt east of Lexington south of FM 696. Small property, 21 acres surrounded by cattle. No cattle on this property. One tank, mequite, chickasaw plums, dewberries, mustang grapes, some acorns. The deer love the perennial rye grass that comes up after the weather cools off.

Long story short I didn't start deer hunting until 4 years ago. I'm 64. Dad died young, I'm the baby in the family. Life kept me from pursuing some things until recently. Going through my second childhood. Having a great time.

Sounds like a good location.

Even though it happened late in life, glad you got started. Best of luck and enjoy your time out in the woods.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Stock finish. - 12/26/23
I told someone I was going into my second child hood when I bought my 28 Ford roadster hot rod. My wife over heard me and said I never got out of my first childhood. It's great being a kid.
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Stock finish. - 12/26/23
That's hysterical, and I can relate. When I'm trying to plan something out and think I've got it all finalized my wife asks me," where are you going with those matches in your pocket?" She always knows, not at all worried about pulling anything over on her because I don't ever attempt it. Not worth it, not needed anyway. She encourages me in 99% of my pursuits.
© 24hourcampfire