Print Thread
Hop To
A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I came across a Savage 99 C A series at a local pawn shop I frequent from time to time. It's in 308 Winchester and appears to be in really good condition. I checked the serial number and it shows to have been manufactured in 1972 . My question has to do with the stock finish. It's definitely been refinished and has a coat of varnish on it. Doesn't look that bad but whoever did it partially sanded the checkering. Did this gun originally have a varnished finish, or oil finish? Also, is it supposed to have press checkering or cut checkering. It looks to me like it was originally cut checkered. My plan once I get it is to strip the finish off the wood and recut the checkering. Looks like some very light sanding will take care of the sand marks. Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then if you are going to refinish it, what difference does it make? If it's too much money for you, negotiate it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I was just interested in what it would have looked like originally. Thank you.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Google is your friend, there is the exact gun you described pictured with cut checkering and a satin gloss finish.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Early versions were pressed and I believe 1972 would fall into that category.

Pictures would help with a diagnosis.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Should look like this, but how dark/light it is would vary. Believe the catalogs called the finish Electro-Cote..

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thank you for the responses. From the photo I can see that it is a press checked pattern. I may just leave the Finish alone and do a light rubbing with some steel wool or fine Scotch-Brite pad to knock the sheen off of it. My only other 99 is a 1939 EG model. It's a smooth stock, no checkering. The rifle I'm looking at is in good shape, the rifling and the bore is very sharp and bright. It's the only 99c I've ever handled. The barrel is definitely heavier than on my 99 EG in 300 savage. I've wanted one in .308 win for a while because of ammo availability. I think the price is fair. $800 out the door. I have a El Paso Weaver that would look correct on it. It will be used for hunting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Marlin used what to me looked like a very similar finish that, I think, was basically sprayed on for mass production. I'm not a fan of the look or technique, but you could probably duplicate the original Savage finish with a carefully applied rattle can of gloss Minwax.

A lot of guys shun post-mil 99s, however for your intended purpose it should serve you well. As for scopes, you could always step up your game with a good older Leupold, Lyman or Redfield. Or a Unertl Hawk if ya want extra points for cool!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I believe what threw me off was the gloss finish. When I got it home, looking it over it looks to be the original finish on the stock. I removed the forend and the buttstock and sealed the end grain as well as any area that looked like bare wood. The internals were fairly clean. Cleaned the bore, nice and shiny with sharp rifling. Probably won't get to the range until after New Years. Going to shoot it first before I do any work on the barrel channel. Thank you for the suggestions on the scopes. An older Leopold 2-7 vari X2 or 1-4 would be great. I hunt in what's referred to as the Post Oak Savannah of Eastern Texas. Post oaks, mesquite, black locust, and Native grasses. The deer aren't as big as they are in the Golden Triangle of South Texas but they're still nice. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You are welcome and Merry Xmas too!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ59
I hunt in what's referred to as the Post Oak Savannah of Eastern Texas. Post oaks, mesquite, black locust, and Native grasses.

Many years ago, our extended family had a 20-year lease west of Buffalo just south of highway 79. In fact, my avatar picture was taken in front of our cabin/shack on that lease.

Are you hunting anywhere close to there?

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I came across a Savage 99 C A series at a local pawn shop I frequent from time to time. It's in 308 Winchester and appears to be in really good condition. I checked the serial number and it shows to have been manufactured in 1972 . My question has to do with the stock finish. It's definitely been refinished and has a coat of varnish on it. Doesn't look that bad but whoever did it partially sanded the checkering. Did this gun originally have a varnished finish, or oil finish? Also, is it supposed to have press checkering or cut checkering. It looks to me like it was originally cut checkered. My plan once I get it is to strip the finish off the wood and recut the checkering. Looks like some very light sanding will take care of the sand marks. Thanks in advance.

Since its been refinished previously, and originality is out the window, my vote goes to a hand rubbed oil finish. When done right they are hard to beat.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Oil finish: warmth and charm, sucks as a finish for continued outdoor use. Commercial gun companies and gov't arsenals employed oil finishes not because it was the best but because it was the cheapest.

Barrier finish (varnish, lacquer, etc.): not as aesthetically pleasing (unless given proper final finishing steps that many lazy people won't do), but hell for weather/abrasion resistance.

By the time the OP's gun was made American industry was buying into the use of conversion varnishes (think spray-on varnish with drying/curing characteristics similar to lacquer). Not generally available to the public because of health hazards in use and strict protocols for application. Replication isn't easy. Since it's a post-mil gun intended for lots of hunting and a likely candidate for re-finishing I would opt for a good varnish, but that's not an option for someone who shies away from tediousness. Half-assed varnishing looks worse than half-assed oiling, but if done right can be world class classy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a 358 Brush rifle. It came with a gaudy shiny varnish finish that the previous owner had scratched the finish in a few places. I rubbed the scratched wood very lightly with 6 ought steel wool to take the gloss off. Put a couple of coats of gunstock wax hand buffed to a soft sheen. Came out to my desired finish. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Merry Christmas to all! Thanks for all the great advice and recommendations. I hunt east of Lexington south of FM 696. Small property, 21 acres surrounded by cattle. No cattle on this property. One tank, mequite, chickasaw plums, dewberries, mustang grapes, some acorns. The deer love the perennial rye grass that comes up after the weather cools off. I don't shy away from a good oil finish on a firearm. Discovered Renaissance wax so wet weather doesn't bother me. I made a boma around an old Case hay bailer with mesquite limbs, straw, etc. I've had deer walk by at 15 feet. Long story short I didn't start deer hunting until 4 years ago. I'm 64. Dad died young, I'm the baby in the family. Life kept me from pursuing some things until recently. Going through my second childhood. Having a great time. I think this rifle would look good with an oil finish even with the pressed checkering.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
We seem to be of the same vintage and, after putting all sorts of things aside in the name of that four letter word we call work, I too am looking forward to starting my second childhood soon. Hope all is going well with yours and be sure to enjoy that 99 and all the great advice the good fellows on this forum have to offer!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt east of Lexington south of FM 696. Small property, 21 acres surrounded by cattle. No cattle on this property. One tank, mequite, chickasaw plums, dewberries, mustang grapes, some acorns. The deer love the perennial rye grass that comes up after the weather cools off.

Long story short I didn't start deer hunting until 4 years ago. I'm 64. Dad died young, I'm the baby in the family. Life kept me from pursuing some things until recently. Going through my second childhood. Having a great time.

Sounds like a good location.

Even though it happened late in life, glad you got started. Best of luck and enjoy your time out in the woods.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I told someone I was going into my second child hood when I bought my 28 Ford roadster hot rod. My wife over heard me and said I never got out of my first childhood. It's great being a kid.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
That's hysterical, and I can relate. When I'm trying to plan something out and think I've got it all finalized my wife asks me," where are you going with those matches in your pocket?" She always knows, not at all worried about pulling anything over on her because I don't ever attempt it. Not worth it, not needed anyway. She encourages me in 99% of my pursuits.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 78 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,739
Posts18,476,029
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.