Originally Posted by AJ59
I came across a Savage 99 C A series at a local pawn shop I frequent from time to time. It's in 308 Winchester and appears to be in really good condition. I checked the serial number and it shows to have been manufactured in 1972 . My question has to do with the stock finish. It's definitely been refinished and has a coat of varnish on it. Doesn't look that bad but whoever did it partially sanded the checkering. Did this gun originally have a varnished finish, or oil finish? Also, is it supposed to have press checkering or cut checkering. It looks to me like it was originally cut checkered. My plan once I get it is to strip the finish off the wood and recut the checkering. Looks like some very light sanding will take care of the sand marks. Thanks in advance.

Since its been refinished previously, and originality is out the window, my vote goes to a hand rubbed oil finish. When done right they are hard to beat.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain