Posted By: JeffG side mounts - 01/22/12
how bad did folks want to scope their 99's...really bad
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii249/Jeff518/th_84a2261e2f60adb8a2f68d8d7c8ae88f.jpg[/img]
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: side mounts - 01/22/12
Sacrilege I say...!!! eek eek eek
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: side mounts - 01/22/12
Not a fan.
Posted By: RAS Re: side mounts - 01/22/12
Sure they did. At the time, they wanted to use a scope to greatly up ther chances at bagging game in the field. They didnt remotely care that some stranger didnt like it 60 years in the future.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: side mounts - 01/22/12
Very true...!!! shocked shocked shocked
Posted By: bender Re: side mounts - 01/22/12
My grandfather's 300 EG had a Jaeger side mount. It was actually pretty slick.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: side mounts - 01/22/12
Originally Posted by RAS
Sure they did. At the time, they wanted to use a scope to greatly up ther chances at bagging game in the field. They didnt remotely care that some stranger didnt like it 60 years in the future.

Maybe we're gaining. Another one gets it. Congratulations.............. smile smile
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
LBK,
I am unpersuaded. Still not a fan. grin
Posted By: 99trix Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
I have a BNIB Pachmyr side mount if anyone is just itching to drill and tapped the side of their recevier lol

It is even the tip off style laugh
Posted By: Calhoun Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ones that REALLY kill me are the 1950's 99R's and 99F's that were factory d&t, and then you find a side mount on them. ARGH!
Posted By: norm99 Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Originally Posted by Calhoun
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ones that REALLY kill me are the 1950's 99R's and 99F's that were factory d&t, and then you find a side mount on them. ARGH!

i have a late G that matches your top gun grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
That top one looks better from the side, being that it's in 250 I kept it. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is because even though the old timers wanted a scope, they didn't trust them fully and wanted to maintain quick access to open sights.

Posted By: 300jimmy Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is because even though the old timers wanted a scope, they didn't trust them fully and wanted to maintain quick access to open sights.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Originally Posted by Fireball2
LBK,

Neither am I. But we live in a different time. They "needed to hunt", for the most part. We do it for fun......... They had far fewer options, we have a myriad. Or how about this one that I bought from ctw? This was D&T'd on BOTH side and top. My guess is that the side just might could be factory as the holes look totally professional. THEN some moron at a later date got hold of it and drilled and tapped for Weavers on top. This was a lettered special order gun. In the picture, I use one of my Stith repros. Now there is a Weaver T-7 and a 330 in place.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Nice, there a Delux checkered G in 300sav. been for sale on the gun show cirit, Her In Michigan for the last few years guy wants like 1400.00 for it it has been D&T for every sight, that you can think of , Oldotter and myself and named it Holey Moley!
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
LBK,

Neither am I. But we live in a different time. They "needed to hunt", for the most part. We do it for fun......... They had far fewer options, we have a myriad. Or how about this one that I bought from ctw? This was D&T'd on BOTH side and top. My guess is that the side just might could be factory as the holes look totally professional. THEN some moron at a later date got hold of it and drilled and tapped for Weavers on top. This was a lettered special order gun. In the picture, I use one of my Stith repros. Now there is a Weaver T-7 and a 330 in place.

[Linked Image]

when was that gun built? When did they start offering the T-7? I would think it was too early unless it was sent back to the factory. If someone had the $$$ to special order a rifle, they clearly know what they want and when the mount came out, maybe they sent it back to the factory?
Posted By: RAS Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Offering stated in 36 or 37
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Nothing wrong with a side mount if it's a Jaeger or Griffin&Howe. Lots of benefits in having instant choice between the iron sights and scope. I certainly wouldn't install one on a rifle that was otherwise pristine, but if I were in the market for a shooter/hunter and two 99s were laying side-by-side, one with a G&H sidemount and the other with a decent quality top mount, I would go for the one with the side mount like a duck on a June Bug.

Don't knock 'em if you never tried 'em. The ones on my Mausers return to zero dead-nuts every time they are taken on and off. Every time. I can't speak for the other lesser brands (IMO) such as the Echo, Pachmayr, et al in that regard. There was a time when any rifle with a G&H QD side mount was considered to be state of the art accuracy-wise plus elegant to boot. That holds true today with classic rifles from a bygone era.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
DOM 1909

"My guess is that the side just might could be factory as the holes look totally professional." From above post.

I never said it WAS done at the factory. Just that it could have been. T-7's were much later that 09, and the letter says it was returned to the factory for unspecified work. All I'm saying that if the side holes were first, one would have to be nuts to drill it again. Not looking for an argument.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: side mounts - 01/23/12
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
LBK,

[Linked Image]

when was that gun built? When did they start offering the T-7? I would think it was too early unless it was sent back to the factory. If someone had the $$$ to special order a rifle, they clearly know what they want and when the mount came out, maybe they sent it back to the factory?

LBK, what a great picture! Great memories for you
Drew, might rethink that assumption, (in bold above)
Posted By: Skidrow Re: side mounts - 01/24/12
A guy does what he's gotta do to improve his tools to better his work.
© 24hourcampfire