Campfire Tracker
J

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sacrilege I say...!!! eek eek eek

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a fan.

LOL
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure they did. At the time, they wanted to use a scope to greatly up ther chances at bagging game in the field. They didnt remotely care that some stranger didnt like it 60 years in the future.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very true...!!! shocked shocked shocked

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My grandfather's 300 EG had a Jaeger side mount. It was actually pretty slick.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS
Sure they did. At the time, they wanted to use a scope to greatly up ther chances at bagging game in the field. They didnt remotely care that some stranger didnt like it 60 years in the future.

Maybe we're gaining. Another one gets it. Congratulations.............. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LBK,
I am unpersuaded. Still not a fan. grin

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a BNIB Pachmyr side mount if anyone is just itching to drill and tapped the side of their recevier lol

It is even the tip off style laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ones that REALLY kill me are the 1950's 99R's and 99F's that were factory d&t, and then you find a side mount on them. ARGH!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ones that REALLY kill me are the 1950's 99R's and 99F's that were factory d&t, and then you find a side mount on them. ARGH!

i have a late G that matches your top gun grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That top one looks better from the side, being that it's in 250 I kept it. grin

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is because even though the old timers wanted a scope, they didn't trust them fully and wanted to maintain quick access to open sights.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is because even though the old timers wanted a scope, they didn't trust them fully and wanted to maintain quick access to open sights.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
LBK,

Neither am I. But we live in a different time. They "needed to hunt", for the most part. We do it for fun......... They had far fewer options, we have a myriad. Or how about this one that I bought from ctw? This was D&T'd on BOTH side and top. My guess is that the side just might could be factory as the holes look totally professional. THEN some moron at a later date got hold of it and drilled and tapped for Weavers on top. This was a lettered special order gun. In the picture, I use one of my Stith repros. Now there is a Weaver T-7 and a 330 in place.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Longbeardking; 01/23/12.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice, there a Delux checkered G in 300sav. been for sale on the gun show cirit, Her In Michigan for the last few years guy wants like 1400.00 for it it has been D&T for every sight, that you can think of , Oldotter and myself and named it Holey Moley!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Fireball2
LBK,

Neither am I. But we live in a different time. They "needed to hunt", for the most part. We do it for fun......... They had far fewer options, we have a myriad. Or how about this one that I bought from ctw? This was D&T'd on BOTH side and top. My guess is that the side just might could be factory as the holes look totally professional. THEN some moron at a later date got hold of it and drilled and tapped for Weavers on top. This was a lettered special order gun. In the picture, I use one of my Stith repros. Now there is a Weaver T-7 and a 330 in place.

[Linked Image]

when was that gun built? When did they start offering the T-7? I would think it was too early unless it was sent back to the factory. If someone had the $$$ to special order a rifle, they clearly know what they want and when the mount came out, maybe they sent it back to the factory?

Andrew
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Offering stated in 36 or 37

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing wrong with a side mount if it's a Jaeger or Griffin&Howe. Lots of benefits in having instant choice between the iron sights and scope. I certainly wouldn't install one on a rifle that was otherwise pristine, but if I were in the market for a shooter/hunter and two 99s were laying side-by-side, one with a G&H sidemount and the other with a decent quality top mount, I would go for the one with the side mount like a duck on a June Bug.

Don't knock 'em if you never tried 'em. The ones on my Mausers return to zero dead-nuts every time they are taken on and off. Every time. I can't speak for the other lesser brands (IMO) such as the Echo, Pachmayr, et al in that regard. There was a time when any rifle with a G&H QD side mount was considered to be state of the art accuracy-wise plus elegant to boot. That holds true today with classic rifles from a bygone era.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
DOM 1909

"My guess is that the side just might could be factory as the holes look totally professional." From above post.

I never said it WAS done at the factory. Just that it could have been. T-7's were much later that 09, and the letter says it was returned to the factory for unspecified work. All I'm saying that if the side holes were first, one would have to be nuts to drill it again. Not looking for an argument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.