Home
Posted By: 99guy 99H - 11/24/14
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453892189

So who got it?

Who missed it?

See a couple of guys here took a swing at it.

Uber rare. Only made in that configuration one year.

Not in the greatest condition but un messed with.

That has to be the only "99H 300 Savage" box left in the world.

I have the same gun in similar condition, but paid considerably more for it.

I love mine, it ain't going anywhere.

Posted By: gregintenn Re: 99H - 11/24/14
Well, ain't that something!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99H - 11/24/14
I'd say that went pretty cheap.

I recognize the winner's user name...
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99H - 11/24/14
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I'd say that went pretty cheap.

Yep
Posted By: billy336 Re: 99H - 11/24/14
I'd say the buyer stole it.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99H - 11/24/14
Wow I saw a D&T one in worst shape about 6 years ago at a gun show, Called Loggah he said buy it, it was 900 bucks so went back to table and it was gone, and sure didnt have the box with it!
Posted By: mad_dog Re: 99H - 11/24/14
Haha, ya, recognise the winners name as well, he always said when he wants something he gets it.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99H - 11/24/14
grin
Posted By: boltman Re: 99H - 11/24/14
Sigh (heavy sign) (HEAVY SIGH). No, I did not see this auction. This carbine has a lot of appeal to me. Granted it is not high condition but it is in incredibly honest condition and in decent condition (to me). And of course very rare. I never did connect with one of these in .300. The box is a nice touch, particularly on a variation that is the rarest of all the H's.

As far as wishing I had spotted the auction before it ended, it is important to remember that while it went cheap, that hardly means the next bid increment would take it. I don't think the winning bidder would have backed away easily wink Congratulations to the winner smile
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99H - 11/25/14
That gun has seen some country and could tell some great stories.

Yet the original owner thought enough of it not to drill any holes in it and to save the original box he bought it brand new in 75 years ago. Who saves a box 75 years? This guy wasn't a collector of guns, he was a collector of memories. A man I wish I could have known. Holding that gun in your hands is like holding a piece of American history.

IMO, that gun is way more interesting and has WAY more character than if it were in unused condition.

Just me.

Posted By: 99guy Re: 99H - 11/25/14
[Linked Image]

Mine is in almost identical condition less the box.

Somebody did a lot of hunting with it and most likely killed a lot of deer with it before it landed at my house.

Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 99H - 11/25/14
I got the original model 250/3000 from this store on a gunbroker $1.00 auction. I bet it would be a cool store to go visit.
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99H - 11/25/14
Ive had 2 of them in 300 cal ,kept the new condition one and sold the almost new condition one to LBK a few years ago. I wish i had a box !!!!!! eek eek grin
Posted By: 300savagehunter Re: 99H - 11/25/14
That guy must have been the original hoarder to keep that box.

Mike
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99H - 11/25/14
Box shows shipped from Montgomery Wards, Denver, CO to Sulfur Springs, Wyoming. The selling dealer is in Montana.

The condition of the rifle looks about right for 75 years of service in that part of the country. It's one my dad would have liked...lots of character. smile
Posted By: Harry M Re: 99H - 11/25/14
Seems right, the gun is beat to snot....600-700 maybe...the box 300

Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99H - 11/25/14
Yea, I have hammer produced about the same time. They look a lot a like for condition.
Posted By: sayak Re: 99H - 11/26/14
This question is sort of related to the thread, and pardon a novice, but is there a reason this model carbine was produced with a barrel band? The reason I ask is that the other models function quite well without them, with only the mortise and a single screw to hold the forestock on. Was the barrel band to make it look Winchester-esque?
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 99H - 11/26/14
Every thing Savage is Wichestresque. LOL
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: 99H - 11/26/14
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Every thing Savage is Wichestresque. LOL

but better
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99H - 11/26/14
Early 1895 carbines had a barrel band. So was it to copy Winchester, or is there a good engineering reason for it? Dunno.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99H - 11/26/14
I would say it was more for sales. Different styles for different folks. Carbines appeal to the western folk...carbine buttplate, barrel bands, short barrels, lever actions, horses, saddles and scabbards. Not that you have to live out west to like that style.
Posted By: boltman Re: 99H - 11/27/14
Winchester and Marlin sure put a lot of barrel bands on their carbines. However, I thought in the big rifle world out there, barrel bands diminished accuracy.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99H - 11/27/14
That was probably not common knowledge at that time. Most shots were off hand with open sights and less accurate ammo than we currently have available. You killed it or you didn't.
Posted By: boltman Re: 99H - 11/27/14
Your right Rick - and they weren't selling '92, '93, '94, '95 and '99 (I'm mixing Marlin, Winchester and Savage) carbines as match rifles.
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99H - 11/27/14
I remember "sighting in" with the old timers I used to tag along with in my youth even before I was old enough to hunt. Somebody would take a jackknife and put a mark on a tree and everybody would step back a reasonable shooting distance (30-40 yards ish) for the open sighted Winchesters, Marlins, Remingtons, Savages, etc., etc. that they all carried and shoot at the mark off hand.

If you hit the tree, you were "sighted in".

What we know today as "minute of deer" accuracy...was good enough.
Posted By: Buck_ Re: 99H - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
That guy must have been the original hoarder to keep that box.

Mike

No kidding!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99H - 12/04/14
"Box shows shipped from Montgomery Wards, Denver, CO to Sulfur Springs, Wyoming. The selling dealer is in Montana."

Pulled the plate and found a paper with the owners name and location. I could only read "...Sulphur Sp... on the box for a ship to but it actually was shipped to:

Verne E. Atkins, White Suphur Springs, Montanana.

"Verne was born April 21st, 1907. September 12th, 1988 Verne Atkins passed away in White Sulphur Springs, Montana at the age of 81." (Google)
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99H - 12/05/14
Bought the rifle at the age of 33 and owned it 48 years by my calculation.

Wish that rifle could talk....
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: 99H - 12/05/14
It is not the only 300 H in the box I was looking at one in the box in 300 just lately green label box also a 303 H prebarrel band in the box with the early orange label!!!
© 24hourcampfire