Home
Posted By: RDFinn May or Ingram - 07/19/08
Gentleman, I am looking to buy a really nice light fixed blade knife and I am trying to decide on an Ingram #4 Bird & Trout or a May Bird & Trout. How do these compare for fit and finish and the ability to hold an edge. I am interested in having them made in S30V if that matters. Thank you in advance.

Roy
Posted By: NH K9 Re: May or Ingram - 07/19/08
I've been thinking the exact same thing over the course of the week. I'm leaning towards the #4 from Gene and, given lead time, will probably order it as part of a combo and have a separate kydex neck sheath made for it.

George
Posted By: RDFinn Re: May or Ingram - 07/19/08
Was going to do the same with the May, a combo of sorts. A B&T and a DP. I have spoke with Charlie about making something along the lines of a Ingram Lt. Hunter and I think he is willing to go outside the box of his regular offerings. I do like the more trim profiles of the Ingrams and if May will do this, I am inclined to go with the May. The Ingram 3 yr wait kinda turns me off, and May is only 18 months. If folks tell me that the two are very, very similar in their talent and quality, I'll go May.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: May or Ingram - 07/20/08
I had an Ingram #4 B&T and my son currently has the Lite Hunter. Between the two, I preferred the the #4 B&T. Ingrams are very easy to touch up (and that's all they need). Gene's edge geometry is excellent.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: May or Ingram - 07/20/08
You can not go wrong with either maker. They are good friends and their work is top notch. I don't think you will find two more simalur knife makers. My suggestion is to order both. You'll get Charlie's in 18 months and forget about the Ingram till it comes in in three years. Buy both!
Posted By: lochsa Re: May or Ingram - 07/21/08
I have a couple from both Ingram and May. You can't go wrong with either. My latest is a B&T in D2 and Stag from May. I do prefer the thinner 3/32" blade over the 1/8". The Ingram "caper" and May B&T are nearly the same, by the way. My favorites so far: Ingram's Slim and May's B&T.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: May or Ingram - 07/21/08
Funny you mentioned blade thickness because I was trying to decide whether I would ask May to make the B&T in 1/8 or the standard 3/32nd. I was also going to do a slight variation of the Bob White with a 3 inch blade and possibly 1/8 thick but now I'm not sure if I should go thicker like the Ingrams?
Just wanted to thank all who responded. I decided to go with the May Bird & Trout after speaking with Charlie this morning. Great guy to chat with. Looking foward to this baby, because it's my first really nice knife.

Originally Posted by RDFinn
Just wanted to thank all who responded. I decided to go with the May Bird & Trout after speaking with Charlie this morning. Great guy to chat with. Looking foward to this baby, because it's my first really nice knife.

what scales are you going to get?
Desert Ironwood burl, mosaic pins, white liners and a S30V blade. Charlie is e-mailing me pics of sample wood to choose from. Thinking about ordering a matching knife, a Bob White with a 3 inch blade in 1/8th thick stock instead of the 3/32nd, sort of a modified drop point.
Great choice for sure, and I think you should add the matching Bob White as you suggest . . . but I'm kinda partial. I use my Bob White for working on turkeys - it's perfect. Actually, I think perfect would be in S30V, as you're ordering. Best of luck, and let's see 'em when you get 'em.

DB

[Linked Image]
Your PM box is full. I hope mine look as nice as those do. You just cost me some money as I'm going to call Charlie, again, in the AM
Thanks for the heads up on the PM box - cleared some. You mentioned Ironwood "burl"; not sure I've seen Ironwood in burl? Sounds nice, and I'd like to see it if that's what you meant. I also think a pair like this would be real nice in sea cow bone, one of my personal favorites.

DB
I didn't know it exsisted either. I told Charlie I wanted Ironwood with a lot of figure and he said "like a burl figure"? Have to see what his idea is of burl I guess. Either way, I'm sure it's going to be nice. I also got a e-mail responce from Ingram and in short he stated he was working on Jan. 2012 orders. You know how the rest of that conversation went. I'm sure they are top notch, but 4 yrs is a bit much for me.
One of my Owyhees in AAA+ Ironwood burl... (Scott's photos)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's some sharp looking wood.
Toooo bad you don't have any good lookin knives.

That one is really nice.
Journeymen

Who made that knife?
Looks like a Scott Cook knife.
Ron is right, as usual. That is a Scott Cook Large Owyhee Hunter - Old Style.

The new style can be sen on Scott's website=====> Scott Cook Knives

I've multiples of the Old in both large and small, and one new style in small. Scott's work is impeccable, and out of several hundred customs through the years, bis knives rank highest in out-of-the-box sharpness...
I wish to add that I didn't intend to subvert the thread drom its' original intent - merely wished to show an ironwood such as the main posters were discussing..
Thanks guys. I looked at his site. Nice knives. May have to order one.
© 24hourcampfire