Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gentleman, I am looking to buy a really nice light fixed blade knife and I am trying to decide on an Ingram #4 Bird & Trout or a May Bird & Trout. How do these compare for fit and finish and the ability to hold an edge. I am interested in having them made in S30V if that matters. Thank you in advance.

Roy

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've been thinking the exact same thing over the course of the week. I'm leaning towards the #4 from Gene and, given lead time, will probably order it as part of a combo and have a separate kydex neck sheath made for it.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was going to do the same with the May, a combo of sorts. A B&T and a DP. I have spoke with Charlie about making something along the lines of a Ingram Lt. Hunter and I think he is willing to go outside the box of his regular offerings. I do like the more trim profiles of the Ingrams and if May will do this, I am inclined to go with the May. The Ingram 3 yr wait kinda turns me off, and May is only 18 months. If folks tell me that the two are very, very similar in their talent and quality, I'll go May.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had an Ingram #4 B&T and my son currently has the Lite Hunter. Between the two, I preferred the the #4 B&T. Ingrams are very easy to touch up (and that's all they need). Gene's edge geometry is excellent.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can not go wrong with either maker. They are good friends and their work is top notch. I don't think you will find two more simalur knife makers. My suggestion is to order both. You'll get Charlie's in 18 months and forget about the Ingram till it comes in in three years. Buy both!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a couple from both Ingram and May. You can't go wrong with either. My latest is a B&T in D2 and Stag from May. I do prefer the thinner 3/32" blade over the 1/8". The Ingram "caper" and May B&T are nearly the same, by the way. My favorites so far: Ingram's Slim and May's B&T.

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Funny you mentioned blade thickness because I was trying to decide whether I would ask May to make the B&T in 1/8 or the standard 3/32nd. I was also going to do a slight variation of the Bob White with a 3 inch blade and possibly 1/8 thick but now I'm not sure if I should go thicker like the Ingrams?

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just wanted to thank all who responded. I decided to go with the May Bird & Trout after speaking with Charlie this morning. Great guy to chat with. Looking foward to this baby, because it's my first really nice knife.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Just wanted to thank all who responded. I decided to go with the May Bird & Trout after speaking with Charlie this morning. Great guy to chat with. Looking foward to this baby, because it's my first really nice knife.

what scales are you going to get?

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Desert Ironwood burl, mosaic pins, white liners and a S30V blade. Charlie is e-mailing me pics of sample wood to choose from. Thinking about ordering a matching knife, a Bob White with a 3 inch blade in 1/8th thick stock instead of the 3/32nd, sort of a modified drop point.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great choice for sure, and I think you should add the matching Bob White as you suggest . . . but I'm kinda partial. I use my Bob White for working on turkeys - it's perfect. Actually, I think perfect would be in S30V, as you're ordering. Best of luck, and let's see 'em when you get 'em.

DB

[Linked Image]

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Your PM box is full. I hope mine look as nice as those do. You just cost me some money as I'm going to call Charlie, again, in the AM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up on the PM box - cleared some. You mentioned Ironwood "burl"; not sure I've seen Ironwood in burl? Sounds nice, and I'd like to see it if that's what you meant. I also think a pair like this would be real nice in sea cow bone, one of my personal favorites.

DB

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know it exsisted either. I told Charlie I wanted Ironwood with a lot of figure and he said "like a burl figure"? Have to see what his idea is of burl I guess. Either way, I'm sure it's going to be nice. I also got a e-mail responce from Ingram and in short he stated he was working on Jan. 2012 orders. You know how the rest of that conversation went. I'm sure they are top notch, but 4 yrs is a bit much for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my Owyhees in AAA+ Ironwood burl... (Scott's photos)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's some sharp looking wood.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Toooo bad you don't have any good lookin knives.

That one is really nice.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Journeymen

Who made that knife?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a Scott Cook knife.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron is right, as usual. That is a Scott Cook Large Owyhee Hunter - Old Style.

The new style can be sen on Scott's website=====> Scott Cook Knives

I've multiples of the Old in both large and small, and one new style in small. Scott's work is impeccable, and out of several hundred customs through the years, bis knives rank highest in out-of-the-box sharpness...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (3333vl, 44mc, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257 roberts, 27 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,213
Posts18,503,931
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.