Home
While bow hunting the last day of the season Sunday, I watched a doe for about 20 minutes. She could not retract her toungue and it stayed outside her mouth the whole time she fed. When looking around it hung 6-8 inches down out of the side of her mouth. when she fed it dragged the ground. Sometimes she would even raise her head as if to help with the swallowing. Any one seen this before or know what causes it. I was wondering if she's possibly had a stroke. She looked big and healthy otherwise.
I don't know the specific cause, but we owned a cow for several years with the same malady. I think it may have been some sort of neural issue, as she did not use her tongue to gather grass to her mouth like other cows. Did't seem to cause her any harm though, since she was a chunky as anyone else.

Also, if it's an extremely hot day or we really warm animals up on a trail drive, they will all have their tongues out until they cool and stop panting.
My first thought was CWD, but I don't recall that the tongue hanging out was so much of a symptom as excessive drooling, etc.; and since she looked otherwise healthy I'd think not. I bet that was an interesting sight to see!
I don't know what causes it, but I've seen the same thing......was hog hunting in TX and had a buck hanging around that didn't/couldn't keep it's tongue in its mouth......
Any body know what causes a deer's tounge to stay out....???

one of these?

[Linked Image]

kidding, it was my first thought before i opened & read your post.

I have no idea, never seen that before... well not before the BOOMMM!!!

grin

If I can figure out how to download my cell phone video (I videoed her with the cell phone) I'll post it.
Final act of defiance? I'm sure they would rather moon ya but since it's butt cheeks are already hanging out whats the point?
Some type of disease, injury, condition that causes damage to the nervous system. Think along the lines of a stroke.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[quote] Any body know what causes a deer's tounge to stay out....???

Maybe the tongue is MARRIED!

grin
Check out this thread:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2574849/page/5#Post2574849
i saw a buck that had that problem, but he had a broken jaw.

then he ate an arrow, and had a broken heart too grin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Tongue

Sorry I didn't respond sooner to this.

Yep, my buck had about 6-8" of tongue sticking out.

Since I posted that back in November, I've seen a pic of a doe taken in another part of KY with the same problem, and a couple of other people say they've seen it.

This buck had his tongue hanging out, because there was not enough lower jaw to hold it in. Also, the jaw was curled.

I didn't get a super close look at the lower jaw although it didn't appear to be shortened. I did watch this doe for several minutes as she fed near my tree stand for a good while. Season's over now but next year she's goin down if I see her. Her toungue was normal colored except for some soiling at the tip that always drags the ground while she feeds, so I doubt it's blue tounge disease.
Like Northern Dave I thought the same thing before I opened the post. I have always thought it was funny to see there tongue hanging out once whacked.
© 24hourcampfire