[Linked Image]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Buck and a really neat old rifle cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
he must of had a hell of a time eating.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool story, thanks for sharing.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all.

Need some help from y'all: I am not inclined to have a full mount done. Frankly, I'm strapped for cash-- been out of work since July.

European mounts look like they'd be icky to DIY. I don't have the freezer space to hold onto him until Spring and then bury the head.

I brought the head and hide home. Outside of sawing off the antlers the way I usually do and mounting them on a plaque, what could I do to preserve this guy?

I had thought I'd give the pics to the taxi man after I get flush again. He should be able to do a mount with the tongue and the overbite, right?

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
European aint so tricky.
You can do it yourself. If I can do it anyone can.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shaman
Thanks all.

Need some help from y'all: I am not inclined to have a full mount done. Frankly, I'm strapped for cash-- been out of work since July.

European mounts look like they'd be icky to DIY. I don't have the freezer space to hold onto him until Spring and then bury the head.

I brought the head and hide home. Outside of sawing off the antlers the way I usually do and mounting them on a plaque, what could I do to preserve this guy?

I had thought I'd give the pics to the taxi man after I get flush again. He should be able to do a mount with the tongue and the overbite, right?

If you want to do a European mount, just skin the head now. Get as much as you can out of it and hang it in a tree or something until spring. You may want to wrap the antlers though because they will fade to white from the sun. But that is fixable too. Cocoa bean stain brings back the original look again. Or you could skin the head out and boil it (soft boil) now. Stinky and messy process but it can be done. www.taxidermy.net has good advice on euro mounts. Check it out.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Euros aren't that hard if you have a 20-30qt pot and a fish cooker.

This must be done outside or the wifey will be slightly angry smile

-1 cup of powdered lemon scent dishwashing detergent per 10qt water.
-Remove the hide and the bottom jaw(I usually chop the jaw off with a hatchet)
-Bring water to a boil
-Set the head in the water with the horns above the water.
-Boil for 30 mins, remove, scrape off what you can, and put it back into the water for another 30 min.
-Remove from water, scrape again(I use an old fork), stir up the brain with a piece of stiff wire, and toss back into the water for another 30 min.
-Remove from water, scrape off everything, pull the remaining brains out through the rear of the skull, wash with a hose, and hang in the shop for a couple of weeks to dry.

I do several a year, heck, I usually have 3-4 in the pot at the same time.

The dishwashing detergent helps break down the flesh and also helps remove the oil from the bone to give a nice white look. If it's not white enough after dry, tape off the horns and paint the skull with flat white paint.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the buck Shaman!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Euros aren't that hard if you have a 20-30qt pot and a fish cooker.

This must be done outside or the wifey will be slightly angry smile

that is for sure!! Outside job for sure & stay up wind of the pot.

the brain extraction is my least fav part of the job, eyeballs are my second least fav part, the rest is all equally disgusting.

Something clever here.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have no doubt that this buck was shot for illegally immigrating from Ohio into Kentucky. Not so much for being ugly.
You know......

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
that is for sure!! Outside job for sure & stay up wind of the pot.

the brain extraction is my least fav part of the job, eyeballs are my second least fav part, the rest is all equally disgusting.

Yep, it's a s*&^y job, but somebody has to do it smile

I have a large deep freeze in the garage that I throw the heads in until I get a few to boil. Right now, I have two whitetails, 1 'lope, and a nice boar to do. I save them for a day after the season when not much is going on.

Another valuable lesson I learned this last spring is to not pour the nasty water on good grass. Our centipede sod didn't care for it and I had a nasty dead spot for a while wink

loder

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good thing I clicked on the link, I was going to say you looked fine for bein just shot. I think I would have taken him myself thinking he had to have been shot at one point earlier in his life.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the garbage man was coming, and I got to thinking how bad I wanted this European mount, and I finally just sawed off the antlers and threw the rest out.

I figure when I get flush again, I'll have the taxi-man do up a mount using a cape and have him fashion the lower jaw to the picture.

Thanks for all the advice/warnings. In the end, I just was not into yuck. Maybe some other time.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Someone else in KY seems to have harvested a doe with a similar syndrome to the buck I shot:

[Linked Image]

KYHunting.Net

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,346
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.