Home
There are others here working with this new Barnes offering as well. I said earlier that I'd report back as to my findings/results. Well, I just finished load development on my Sako 75 using the new 100gr. TTSX's. I'm usin' RL22, Fed. 210M's and Fed. brass (unfortunately, had a bunch left over). Very soft brass and I might get 3 loads!!

I'm typically getting 1/2 groups when I'm staked down, up to almost 3/4 in. when I get a bit sloppy (to include a bit of wind). They chrono'd out yesterday at a MV of 3,417 fps. (20 rounds chrono'd an avg. of 3,398 fps, chrono set out at 20ft.)

At +2.5 inches at 100 yards, I'm zero'd at 300 yds. with a max-height trajectory of +3.4 inches......just the parameters I've set for my own uses.

A super easy, comfortable load to shoot, extremely accurate, seating depths didn't seem to make any difference from close up to a bit past what Barnes recommends.

I thought my 110gr. AB load was accurate, but this TTSX load leaves very little, if anything, to be desired. 'Course, the proofs in the pudding, as they say.

I'm most interested in any others results as well......thanks.

Next up - the new 130gr. TTSX's for my new 270WSM.
When will these bloody bullets cross the border and land in Canada?! I've been patiently waiting to try them out, and they're taking forever. You've got me all worked up and impatient grin
Magnumb

looks to be a promising load with a fantastic caliber.

"Next up - the new 130gr. TTSX's for my new 270WSM"

let me know how those work out I am currently shooting a 100gr recipe out of my .270WSM.

Browning M1000 Eclipse
100gr speer spitzer (discontinued had some laying around)
62gr hodgdon 4350 powder
3500fps (26 inch barrel)
the average group so far has been just under 1/2 inche, when it gets below 32 degrees fahrenheit it opens up to about 3/4.

Good! I'm glad my post drives you a bit crazy after you making me worry about my 2 laminated T3's after your supposed "delamination" thread.......grin.

They are well worth the wait JS and I hope they get up north ASAP. I expect that they will. Everything's a bit slow these days.

Good luck.
That's flyin'......and accurate.....even better!

I'm lookin' forward to tryin' out these 130 TTSX's as well. I hope that I'm as pleased with their on target performance as I have been with the above load.

I've used the 180gr. TSX's in my 300WSM on a couple elk and they've shown outstanding terminal performance plus great accuracy. I've found RL22 to give me all that I desire in the 25-06, 270WSM and 300WSM. The 270WSM I just sold shot the 140gr. AB's very well with a max charge of RL22. I just wanted a laminated 270WSM and decided to start from scratch while now using the 130gr. TTSX's. Best time to make a change if one desires to do so, I suppose.

It may be a few weeks before I finalize the 270WSM 130gr. TTSX load, but I will report those findings as well. If you or anyone else beats me to the punch...........I'm all ears.....'er.....eyes.
Originally Posted by magnumb
Good! I'm glad my post drives you a bit crazy after you making me worry about my 2 laminated T3's after your supposed "delamination" thread.......grin.

They are well worth the wait JS and I hope they get up north ASAP. I expect that they will. Everything's a bit slow these days.

Good luck.

LOL, well, an eye for an eye, I guess then, eh? grin

I'm glad these bullets are working out so well for you! Do you notice any difference between the tipped version and the regular TSX? Accuracy? Trajectory? etc.

Tikka's are good rifles, and why wouldn't they be they are from Finland!

"Tikka takoo tarkasti" Woodpecker Pecks Sccuratley
The TSX in 100 grain, and the X and XLC before it are all favorites out of my 25-06. Each one was more accurate than it's predecessor. Each one was devastating on game up to elk size. I really wished they made a TTSX for my new toy - my 375 H&H. I think a 250 grainer would be just about perfect. Hear that Barnes? grin
Looks like a winner. That is how the 110 gr. TTSX's shoot out of my Tikka 270 Win. right about .5 to .75 but I have yet to check speed.

No clue.......I've not shot the TSX's out of this 25-06. The 110gr. AB's shot very well prior to this load however......FWIW.

I've used the 180gr. TSX's in my 300WSM with great accuracy and terminal effects, but don't see a need to try the TTSX's as my 300WSM's are dedicated elk rifles and the TSX's seem to open up well enough on these thicker skinned, deeper bodied, hardier fellas.

I went with the TTSX's in my 25-06 (and soon the 270WSM) as I'm trying to assure myself that they will expand a little quicker on deer out of these dedicated deer rifles/cartridges. Being much more thin skinned, less deep and less hardy, I personally feel it's a prudent move, whether real or imagined.

Since you asked about trajectory, I can tell you that at +2.5 inches at 100 yards, I'm +3.0 inches at 200 yards and dead on zero at 300 yards. I proved that quite clearly yesterday and my groups were some of the best I've ever shot with any caliber up to 300 yards. This load gave me a 3 shot 3/4 inch group at 200 yards and a 3 shot, 1 1/2 inch group at 300 yards. Not award winning, but I'm more than pleased with the results.......whether one feels 3, 4 or 5 shots makes a "group"......grin

I haven't used the TTSX, but the 100 TSX's shoot under an inch in my 257 Weatherby
They just fly right..........grin.

Weird....I thought, initially, that my 110gr. AB's were as good as I was gonna get, group wise, and they were good!

My rifle and this bullet were definitely made for each other. Doesn't always work out that way, but I'm glad I took the opportunity this time to take that walk to just take a peak over that "last little knoll over there".
The work well in my .257 Roberts, too, a Ruger. I'll be using them instead of the heavier bullets I had been loading.
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me....grin.

I, also, am going to these lighter bullets because they retain their weight so well. All of the blacktails my son and I have taken with the 110gr. AB's showed both great expansion, terminal effects and about 60% weight retention.

I can only assume, at this point, that these 100gr. TTSX's will likely retain about 98% or so from what I've gathered from other members TSX, TTSX reports.

I'm droppin' down to the 130TTSX's from the 140gr. AB's as well in my 270WSM. This is assuming, of course, that I can still achieve the very good accuracy that I've found with the AB's.

I'm hopeful.........

We'll see, albeit, several months from now until the terminal effects can be assessed......bummer.
Put together a load of Barnes 80 gr. TTSXs and 50 gr. of 4064. The Browning A-bolt spit em out just over .500". That will do! smile

It will be interesting to see how the Hornady gilded copper GMXs perform...
Olgrouser,

What speed are you getting with your 80 gr TTSX load???

Doc

No chrony.

The Barnes manual is at my mentor's place. I know it's on the hot side, but it's accurate. smile

I'm testing the 80 and 100g TTSX in my 257 Weatherby. The 100 grain shot a 3/8" group at 3595 the first day out. The 80 grains shot well also; I'm working up slowly and am at 3850.
At 3,595 fps with a 100gr. pill, you certainly do want a bullet that will hold together on impact. I expect that you've found it.......grin. Nice accuracy as well.

I usually fire-from every case prior to serious load development, but tried the 100g. TTSX's out of my aforementioned 25-06 without doing so. I used, brand, spankin' new brass. Another reason I was so taken with these TTSX's and the accuracy I spoke of in my IP.

I don't expect that the fire-formed cartridges will account for larger groups. It never has before and I don't expect that these results will be any different.

Bob, that copper 80 grain bullet at 4K sounds fun. Let us know what you end up with.
I know that the 85grain TSX in .243 at ~3200 doesn't lack for smack or penetration in the least. I bought a 25-06 when Barnes released the 80 grain TTSX just because that ought to be just one hell of a Bambi whacker. Now Barnes releases the TSX in a flat base .277 version that weighs 85 grains!

It doesn't get a whole lot better. I loaded TTSX 130's for a few guns last fall and they accounted for 6 one shot go nowhere kills, no misses. Out of an '06 at ~3150, or out of a .308 at ~2900 they were very accurate and we recovered no bullets. I couldn't bring myself to shoot one with the 300 WM and the 130s even though they were very accurate at ~3480 so I used a 150 Barnes on one out of it.

When I started loading back in the fifties we didn't have a lot of good bullets. We didn't have a lot of accurate bullets. We didn't have a lot of bullets that held together well at speed. Now, we have bullets that are very accurate, hold together unbelievably well at speed and even in very light weights have high enough BCs not to shed velocity at reasonable ranges. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am really looking forward to what a little competition among the bullet makers will do in the next few years.
Magnumb.....I too have been toying with the Barnes TSX bullets in the 100 grn weight! I must say they shoot very very well downrange onto our targets that were set up at 100 & 200 yards.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for one of he .338 calibers in the vault in 225 bullet weight. Also have a .300Ultra mag to work up loads for in the near future. I am impressed with the fact these bullets seem to not have a problem opeining up like past Barnes X or XLC bullets did a few years back.

I have been able to shoot .650 MOA at 100 yards off the bench with the one 25-06 caliber model 70 Winchester hunting rifle. The bigger test will be the Ruger model 77 with bull barrel in a 25-06 also. Hope all goes well.

Now Mr. Jordan Smith....YOU send me a PM and I'll get you some of those bullets Canuck!!!
........and what metals they'll be usin'!!
NRA - welcome to the 'Fire'...........BTW!!

FWIW - I found that I get +2.5 in. @ 100 yards, a hair over +3.0 inches at 200 and dead-on ZERO at 300 yards with the 25-06 movin' at the velocities I mentioned earlier (that .397 BC is impressive). My 'sight-height' is 1.7 (with this particular rifle/scope set-up whereas 1.5 in. is much more often the case), so that needs to be considered as well when runnin' the ballistics. This arrangement never took my trajectory higher than +3.5 in. at any range, which is what I personally shoot for.....pun intended. I proof all program ballistics of each cartridge I load for as it is the only way to either confirm their calculations or to discover discrepancies....IMHO. Not always do they stack up exactly spot-on, but with this particular load/cartridge, it came out as close to spot-on as any I've ever run in regards to what was to be expected.

I also shoot and load for a 300RUM and have done so since first introduced. I'm currently shooting 200gr. NP's, but will eventually move to either the 180gr. TSX's or TTSX's (I'LL see if one shoots better than the other). MY 300WSM's both shoot the 180gr. TSX's very well and since they hit the market, a couple elk have hit the deck. They flat out work! I've no isses with the current 200gr. NP's, but figure that I might as well load 'down' for this cartridge as well given the consistently higher retained weight factor of the TTSX's/TSX's.

IMHO, RL25 is the ticket for the very effective and accurate 300RUM cartridge..............grin.

They shoot well out of my 25-06 too. I don't know why I care but it seems that they should make this bullet in an 85-grain weight for the 25s.
I use this bullet in my 25 STW and it puts elk down in a hurry . Great bullet for the 25-06 if your rifle will shoot them. In my 25-06 i use the Nosler 100 gr BT and the 110 gr Accubond with Rel 22 both shoot around 1/2 inch from my rifle.
They do make a 25cal ttsx check out midway or barnes website
I'm going to try the TTSX in my 257Roberts this year. The TSX works extremely well already.

The 130TTSX in my 300WM was incredibly efficient on 2 SE Whitetails at 3,500fps this season.:) Oh yeah...They also group .5 MOA or better out of a 13 year old factory tube:)

The 210TTSX's out of my 338-06 don't group as well at 2,650fps....But they did the job nonetheless:)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Robert
Originally Posted by magnumb
There are others here working with this new Barnes offering as well. I said earlier that I'd report back as to my findings/results. Well, I just finished load development on my Sako 75 using the new 100gr. TTSX's. I'm usin' RL22, Fed. 210M's and Fed. brass (unfortunately, had a bunch left over). Very soft brass and I might get 3 loads!!

I'm typically getting 1/2 groups when I'm staked down, up to almost 3/4 in. when I get a bit sloppy (to include a bit of wind). They chrono'd out yesterday at a MV of 3,417 fps. (20 rounds chrono'd an avg. of 3,398 fps, chrono set out at 20ft.)

At +2.5 inches at 100 yards, I'm zero'd at 300 yds. with a max-height trajectory of +3.4 inches......just the parameters I've set for my own uses.

A super easy, comfortable load to shoot, extremely accurate, seating depths didn't seem to make any difference from close up to a bit past what Barnes recommends.

I thought my 110gr. AB load was accurate, but this TTSX load leaves very little, if anything, to be desired. 'Course, the proofs in the pudding, as they say.

I'm most interested in any others results as well......thanks.

Next up - the new 130gr. TTSX's for my new 270WSM.
How many grns of RL22?
© 24hourcampfire