Home
Posted By: roundoak Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
Whitetail bow season starts September 18th so a work detail was formed last weekend to get the camp ready.

Shower shed

[Linked Image]

Old wringer washer tub with shower curtain

[Linked Image]

Solar shower 4 gallon water bag. Place out in sun or heat water on wood cookstove

[Linked Image]

Privy - one holer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Spring water for all washing and cooking needs

[Linked Image]

Trout stream to catch supper or bath in if you don't mind turning cold blue.

[img]http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt260/jackpine44/cabinhygiene004.jpg[/img]
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
What is this "Deer Camp Hygiene" you speak of? Never heard of it.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
I'd bath north of that sewage line. LOL.

Now that is a real camp! Thanks for the pics.

JM
Posted By: SKane Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
RO-

Very cool. Looks like a nice, tidy camp.
Love the "flammable gas" sign in the privy. grin
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
Skane - thanks... that privy can get pretty toxic. Fortunately I erected it downwind from the cabin. Some hunters and fisherman have decorated with other signs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
Used to have one in ours:

"Warning! If you voted for Clinton, you can't sh*t here. Your a**hole is in the White House"
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
Nice work, I'm acually thinking about an outside shower stall project this fall too.

Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/17/10
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Nice work, I'm acually thinking about an outside shower stall project this fall too.

Got tired of "spit" baths and loosing your testicles for a few hours after bathing in the trout stream in November.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/18/10
Yes, nice pics, but what is this high jeans you're talking about?
Posted By: Karnis Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/18/10
No splinters? Check
Wind in your face? Check, check
Horse shoe properly positioned? Check, check, check
Monkey Butt Ribbon? Check, check, check, check
Rifle rack? Fail
Turbo exhaust? Fail
Shooting winder? Fail

Privy - one holer

[Linked Image]

whistle
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/18/10
Get some sections of 4" pvc pipe and put a hole to fit in the [bleep] wall near the bottom or, at least, below the "hole" level. You want the pipe to be in the waste area. Put a short length of the pipe through the hole and seal around it, Put an elbow in it and add pipe sectins to extend it up above the roof line. Also, put a lid over the hole. That will take care of most of your toxic fumes.
Posted By: Washburn Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/19/10
A shower at deer camp? Nice. I'm going to have to stick to the tub of unscented baby wipes.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/19/10
I moved up this year too:
FEMA Trailer $3k delivered, AC, and heat controlled by a nice thermostat.
[Linked Image]
Hot water for shower and washing up.
[Linked Image]

The well had not been used in my life time well, but after a new pump house, she pumps 2+gal/min.
[Linked Image]
The john runs 10' to a 70gal septic tank and then a 10' leach line.
[Linked Image]

Storage trailer
[Linked Image]
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/19/10
let me guess, the "storage" trailer was the old camp.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/19/10
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
I moved up this year too:
FEMA Trailer $3k delivered, AC, and heat controlled by a nice thermostat.
[Linked Image]
Hot water for shower and washing up.
[Linked Image]

The well had not been used in my life time well, but after a new pump house, she pumps 2+gal/min.
[Linked Image]
The john runs 10' to a 70gal septic tank and then a 10' leach line.
[Linked Image]

Storage trailer
[Linked Image]

Two of the guys I hunt with have those at our lease in the TX Panhandle. They are very nice......
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/19/10
Nice pics roundoak. A lot of work went into your camp. Beautiful placee to relax & enjoy. Thanks.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/19/10
Am I the only one here that wears two pair of drawers to the deer camp so you have spare toilet paper????
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
Do what????? Don't you wipe your ass whilst you're in the woods?
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
Am I the only one here that wears two pair of drawers to the deer camp so you have spare toilet paper????

That's what t-shirts are for (when you forget the tp)!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
vacrt2002, your setup offers some great creature comforts.

Just a heads up here... hope you did not get one of the FEMA toxic trailers with hazardous levels of formaldehyde, mold, etc.

Good hunting.

Wayne
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
I'm sure that made his day.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
Originally Posted by Karnis
No splinters? Check
Wind in your face? Check, check
Horse shoe properly positioned? Check, check, check
Monkey Butt Ribbon? Check, check, check, check
Rifle rack? Fail
Turbo exhaust? Fail
Shooting winder? Fail

Privy - one holer

[Linked Image]

whistle

A fire member PM'd me for dimensions of the privy and in my response I said the plans were modified after it was built. Originally it was a two-holer to spread out the distribution of waste. Changed to a one hole because of liablility issues. My no good brother-in-law from Illinois put a leg in each hole and sch-t on the seat. laugh laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
Originally Posted by roundoak
My no good brother-in-law from Illinois

Only CHEESEHEADS are allowed here eh? grin

It's gettin' to be that time of da year.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10

Just a heads up here... hope you did not get one of the FEMA toxic trailers with hazardous levels of formaldehyde, mold, etc.

Good hunting.

Wayne

I did!~ frown Not to worry at 99.50/gal i have some sealer that will make it OK after I paint over the wood paneling - - I don't live there and I've checked with the company for the little bit I use it, we are good. I even got it insured in case one of those walnut trees falls on it smile

Been a long time coming and yes the old storage trailer served by bro in-law well over the year...sure wish he was hear to enjoy the new place with me or that I had come home sooner....Greg
Posted By: shaman Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/20/10
We've got a flush toilet at the house. When I first bought the place, I was wondering what happened to the effluent. The agent told me to go look for a pipe in back of the house. Sure enough! There was a poop pipe about 15 yards behind the back of the bathroom, emptying out onto the hillside. One of the first things I did was get 100 feet of flexible drain pipe and continued the run further out into the field behind the house. About every six months I take the end of the pipe and move it somewhere else. That seems to be the custom around here.

What's funny is that the dogs and to some extent, the neighbor kids all think it's great adventure to chase the sound of water running in the pipe. Somebody flushes and they all take off and run down the pipe to the end to see what comes out. Ah! The simple pleasures of the country!

At the back of the property, about a half-mile from the house, I have this:

[Linked Image]

It's about half-way between to of my better deer stands. I love taking a mid-morning break and stopping by for a visit. To me, having an outhouse by your treestand is the ultimate luxury.

Posted By: Duquesne_Beer Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/21/10
There is some things here that doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you have a shed, and electricity or propane, why not get an instantaneous water heater and connect it to the water hose - to the spring or well and use it for your hot water needs.

The wash tub deal is way too small with all the shower curtains in it. The shower curtains will be real yucky after 4 grown men takes a shower for a day or two.

You could also get a 55 gallon or larger tank and use it for a reserve for your shower needs. If you had a camp roof, just put a hose that would run the water across the roof in the summer and let the sun warm the water. Use some type of recirculation pump to pump the water between the barrel and the roof - when the drum is full and you will have the best hot water heater on warm days.

For the winter, you can put a BUG in a coal furnace and use the coal heat to heat your water along side your living space.
It might cost you $40 to plumb it all in, but to get free hot water for $40 is a real good deal.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/22/10
I agree with Duquensebeer about the shower curtain. It wouldn't matter at our lease though. All our guys or so fat, only a couple of them could get in that shower at the same time. Nothing like taking a shower with a grown man.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/23/10
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

Good hunting.

Wayne

I did!~ frown Not to worry at 99.50/gal i have some sealer that will make it OK after I paint over the wood paneling - - I don't live there and I've checked with the company for the little bit I use it, we are good. I even got it insured in case one of those walnut trees falls on it smile

Been a long time coming and yes the old storage trailer served by bro in-law well over the year...sure wish he was hear to enjoy the new place with me or that I had come home sooner....Greg

Sorry for a delayed response...been bowhunting deer. Glad to hear there is remedial action one can take to protect your health.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/23/10
shaman,

That is a nice looking privy. The crescent-moon makes it more authentic looking.
Posted By: shaman Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/24/10
Thank you. It has its own web page too:

http://www.blackholecoffeehouse.com/new_page_1.htm

Now, who can boast that?

It played an important role in bagging what was at that point my biggest buck to date back in 2003. I was up in my treestand on Opening Day. It was still a good half-hour before legal shooting. All of a sudden I heard this terrific ruckus coming from the outhouse less about 100 yards away.

It sounded as though there was a drunk at the outhouse throwing up. It was awful and disgusting and it made me mad that I'd have someone trespassing in that sort of state on my property and causing such havoc on Opening Day. I had resolved to go over and give the rotter a piece of my mind, when it finally dawned on me that all this noise was really two bucks fighting just outside the outhouse in the clearing. The smaller one exited quickly past my stand. A few minutes later, the victor came over and stood broadside to me.

Posted By: humdinger Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/24/10
Round oak,
I like the set up!

We have a "fish house" shower house at our lake place (avoids building permit hassles) and we use a coleman hot-water-on-demand system for pumping & water heating. You may want to look at one because the solar shower may not keep up for a WI rifle season hunt!

H
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/24/10
shaman, to answer your question..."Now, who can boast that?"

Not me, perhaps someone else on the fire.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Hygiene - 09/24/10
Originally Posted by humdinger
Round oak,
I like the set up!

We have a "fish house" shower house at our lake place (avoids building permit hassles) and we use a coleman hot-water-on-demand system for pumping & water heating. You may want to look at one because the solar shower may not keep up for a WI rifle season hunt!

H

You are correct, we can't always rely on the solar water bags because of cloudy days so we put two or three tea kettles of water on the wood cookstove and fill the solar bags.

The last 4 or 5 years some spring turkey hunters have brought the Coleman hot water system to camp and it works very well for them. However, I remain committed to a low tech philosophy for creature comfort at the camp. People have asked why I did not put in a well and indoor plumbing. My answer has always been - money and if you make it too modern all the relatives show up. smile
© 24hourcampfire