Home
If one goes on a high-dollar deer hunt and shoots a trophy buck, what is the normal dollar amount, or percentage, to tip the guide?
I have never been on such a hunt, but I do know a few that do go on canned hunts and some will tip as much as $500.00 if the guide shows them the buck of their dreams or sits them in a really good stand, I know a guy who gave his guide a brand new pair of Leica Trinovid 8x32's for putting him in a great shooting house in Texas, I would think that a 10% to 15% of the price of the hunt tip would satisfy any guide .............Good luck...........Hillbilly.
As Va says I've never been on one of the high dollar type hunts either. Have an acquaintence that is a "guide" on one of the premier south Texas places. He has told me that he has been given Swarovski (sp) binoculars, expensive knives, and other stuff. He says his most commom tip is a couple of Benjamins.

BCR
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
Isn't it ironic that one goes on a high priced (probably overpriced) hunt and then expects to tip more? In my opinion this tipping thing has gotten way out of hand. It used to be you did your job and then got paid what you agreed on. Now you pay bunches of money, get average service and then expect to pay more in tip because the purveyor of the hunt doesn't choose to compensate his/her employees adequately from the hunt proceeds. So;

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

1. I will pay no more in tip than 10% of the cost of the hunt in total tips if the hunt goes as promised. Since the word "T I P S" is derived from the phrase To Insure Prompt Service, just going as promised is setting the bar low enough. If the hunt doesn't go as promised, the tip could be less or zero.

2. If you waste my time or have no regard to my preferences, I'll remove some tip for my trouble.

3. If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

4. Don't even dream of telling me how much to tip or suggest I give all the tip money to some head honcho for him/her to distribute. I will tip what I deem appropriate and will tip those I believe deserve it. If there is any suggestion on a web site or in the hunt purveyors literature of how much to tip; I ain't going where they're taking me. They can find another sucker.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
110% agreed Grumulkin, to many expectin' something for nothing these days.
WTF happened to a days pay for a days WORK?

Gunner
Posted By: maddog Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
Grumulkin, +2!!!

maddog
Posted By: super T Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
The tipping expectation is indeed getting out of control. Many of the larger ranches in the west have hunting operations and the guides are generally employees or other guys from the area. Some guides are very good at what they do others can be, well not so good. The ranch pays the guides for their time, but there is high expectation that the hunter will tip his guide very well. One operation I know about actually writes the tip amount into the agreement and it is paid before the hunt begins. In this case the tip is $1000. Gasoline isn't the only thing that's gotten expensive.
Posted By: maddog Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
Anybody who would write a tip in a contract for a hunt, for me would promptly be told to stick the trip up their azz!

maddog
I actually wouldn't care if the tip was written into the agreement as long as it was a set amount; something like all inclusive resorts. I would then consider it part of the total cost of the hunt and I would then compare it with the cost of other hunts and choose accordingly. Obviously, if it was paid in advance or if it was priced with the hunt, I would pay no more in additional tip.

My main objections to tipping other than what I've stated above is the fact that current tipping practice:

1. Leads to anxiety on the part of the client who doesn't wish to appear discourteous and doesn't know what the appropriate amount is to pay. I believe hunt purveyors take advantage of this practice hoping that said anxiety and wish to please will result in a tip that is perhaps more than deserved.

2. Some hunt purveyors suggest tipping even every cook and bottle washer. Some even line them up for their handout purposely, I believe, putting the client in an embarrassing position if he/she doesn't want to tip. The ones I'll consider tipping are the PH, the tracker, the skinners, maybe the cook and anyone else who makes my trip especially enjoyable.

By the way, technically speaking, you don't tip the owner of an operation.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
I've guided one hunt, elk archery on a large local private ranch. The cost of the hunt was $14000 at the time. The hunter also had to cough up another $1200 or so for the state license, pay for his travel, meat processing, and taxidermy. Once you throw in the fuel and pilot (came to MT in his own plane), he was easily into it over $20K.

I spent 5 days on my own, unpaid in advance scouting, hanging tree stands, etc. He had an unreal action packed hunt with 20+ opportunities at legit trophy 6X6 bull elk and shot a 371P&Y on day 5. He told me he wanted to return and for me to be his guide.. yet only tipped $500. If there were to be a next time, I'd forget about scouting.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I've guided one hunt, elk archery on a large local private ranch. The cost of the hunt was $14000 at the time. The hunter also had to cough up another $1200 or so for the state license, pay for his travel, meat processing, and taxidermy. Once you throw in the fuel and pilot (came to MT in his own plane), he was easily into it over $20K.

I spent 5 days on my own, unpaid in advance scouting, hanging tree stands, etc. He had an unreal action packed hunt with 20+ opportunities at legit trophy 6X6 bull elk and shot a 371P&Y on day 5. He told me he wanted to return and for me to be his guide.. yet only tipped $500. If there were to be a next time, I'd forget about scouting.

He probably heard you drank PBR. <grin>
Around 10% of the hunt cost is usually a good rule of thumb. I've hunted with some outfitters for many years and asked them what other hunters usually tip their guides, it's usually around 5-10% unless the hunters were very wealthy.

Some outfitters don't pay their guides at all, which I feel is wrong. I always ask the outfitter if he pays his guides.
As a guide, I always expect to be paid well for HARD work (which includes every day of guiding for me). This is why tipping is important. If the outfitter paid the guide's entire wages, the guide would lose some incentive to work as hard as he possibly can to make the client happy. "Satisfied" would do, rather than "exceptionally pleased". The first good animal that walked along would get shot, rather than holding out for a true specimen.

This is why my experience has been that a guide's income typically is 50/50 split between tip and outfitter daily wage. It's kind of like a salesman that gets salary plus commission. He has some sort of income guarantee, with the potential to earn more by working extra hard. Are you guys also opposed to commission-based employment?

Just curious,

1. How much do you think you should have been tipped?

2. Out of the $14,000 the guy paid for the hunt, how much went to you?

3. Was ALL of the scouting for the benefit of that one client or were others benefited by it as well?

4. Including only the scouting that was done for the sole benefit of that one client, how many days did you devote to getting the guy his elk?

5. Do you or do you not believe that knowing your hunting area well is a requirement for holding yourself out for hire as a guide?
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
As a guide, I always expect to be paid well for HARD work (which includes every day of guiding for me). This is why tipping is important. If the outfitter paid the guide's entire wages, the guide would lose some incentive to work as hard as he possibly can to make the client happy. "Satisfied" would do, rather than "exceptionally pleased". The first good animal that walked along would get shot, rather than holding out for a true specimen.

This is why my experience has been that a guide's income typically is 50/50 split between tip and outfitter daily wage. It's kind of like a salesman that gets salary plus commission. He has some sort of income guarantee, with the potential to earn more by working extra hard. Are you guys also opposed to commission-based employment?

You're kind of making my point. There used to be a time where it was expected that you would do your best for the agreed on remuneration. Wouldn't it be sad if your doctor had to be tipped to get the incentive to do his/her best job for you? If the outfitter has to depend on tips for his guides to perform as expected, it would seem to me the quality of guides would be open to question.

The outfitter should pay the guides, if they're that good, a decent wage. And no, I'm not opposed to commission base employment but a tip is not a commission.
It is a form of commission. Especially if the outfitter tells the client before the hunt that if they are extremely pleased, 10% the cost of the hunt is common, marginally pleased- 5%, and so on. It is an unwritten and unspoken "agreed upon" commission. The client agrees to it by accepting the outfitter's instructions and going on the hunt.

Why do you believe that commission-based employment is acceptable, but tips are not? Should the salesman not do his VERY best, as you have said above, whether he works on salary or commission?

I'm just finishing up my program at business school right now, and I can tell you that regardless of ethics and work habits, people are psychologically motivated by the opportunity for greater personal gain. Any time you want to encourage employees to give exceptional service and effort (rather than just "good" service), you will incent them with at least a partial tipping or commission/bonus structure. Are you also opposed to getting a performance bonus at work because the bonus amount is not agreed upon prior to the work being done? This is another example of people's motivation stemming, to some degree, from personal gain and reward.
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

Just curious,

3. Was ALL of the scouting for the benefit of that one client or were others benefited by it as well?

4. Including only the scouting that was done for the sole benefit of that one client, how many days did you devote to getting the guy his elk?

5. Do you or do you not believe that knowing your hunting area well is a requirement for holding yourself out for hire as a guide?

1. 15% or better of the base hunt price.
2. I think I was getting around $200/day for 5 days.
3. It was for one guy.
4. 11+ days.
5. Damn straight.
Isn't it ironic that one goes on a high priced (probably overpriced) hunt and then expects to tip more? In my opinion this tipping thing has gotten way out of hand. It used to be you did your job and then got paid what you agreed on. Now you pay bunches of money, get average service and then expect to pay more in tip because the purveyor of the hunt doesn't choose to compensate his/her employees adequately from the hunt proceeds. So;

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

1. I will pay no more in tip than 10% of the cost of the hunt in total tips if the hunt goes as promised. Since the word "T I P S" is derived from the phrase To Insure Prompt Service, just going as promised is setting the bar low enough. If the hunt doesn't go as promised, the tip could be less or zero.

2. If you waste my time or have no regard to my preferences, I'll remove some tip for my trouble.

3. If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

4. Don't even dream of telling me how much to tip or suggest I give all the tip money to some head honcho for him/her to distribute. I will tip what I deem appropriate and will tip those I believe deserve it. If there is any suggestion on a web site or in the hunt purveyors literature of how much to tip; I ain't going where they're taking me. They can find another sucker.

Quite often, you get what you pay for. I find it funny that you boast of paying no more than 10%, but only if you "get what is promised." Do you say that when you are seated at a table in a good restraunt? If you did, my guess is the cook would spit in your food and high-five the waitress.
Were you born an a$$hole or did you have to work at it ?
Posted By: ranger1 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
I only tip when I think someone has done a good job. In the case of excellent service I'll tip up to 25%. If you suck then you'll get no additional funds from me - I suppose if I were to go on a guided hunt the same concept would apply. I don't look at a tip as something that is guaranteed - You are only going to get it if you earn it.
Originally Posted by ranger1
I only tip when I think someone has done a good job. In the case of excellent service I'll tip up to 25%. If you suck then you'll get no additional funds from me - I suppose if I were to go on a guided hunt the same concept would apply. I don't look at a tip as something that is guaranteed - You are only going to get it if you earn it.

Which is as it should be...
If your guide works hard for you, tip him what you can. It doesn't necessarily correlate to score or even if you kill an animal, sometimes the guide works the hardest on hunts where nothing dies. Let him know that you appreciate his hard work and it will go a long way. In this day and age "most" guides have "decent" equipment-cash is king! A new buck knife won't feed the kids. Now if you want to tip and give the knife as an extra gesture, that shows some of that appreciation. As in everything, not all guides are modern day Jim Bridger, but please don't listen to some of the previous posters, and go into your hunt with a chip on your shoulder about a tip, you'll have a more enjoyable experience and your guide won't take you on a death march everyday and show you nothing......well maybe not!!!!! LOL
Posted By: EricM Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11

Just curious,

1. 15% or better of the base hunt price.
2. I think I was getting around $200/day for 5 days.
3. It was for one guy.
4. 11+ days.
5. Damn straight.

I'd say your outfitter underpaid you.

You got $1K of the $14K (7% of the proceeds), and including scouting time made less than $100 a day.

That's Burger King money.

Personally, I'd like to see more guides working for themselves, taking clients to scouted areas on public land, for a much lower cost, where the guide is recouping a much greater share.

My .02c.
Posted By: Calvin Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/17/11
I've done more than a few full seasons out on the ocean guiding fishermen. The standard tip for a 12-14 hour day is $100-$150, split between the 4 guys on the boat. That is about 10-15% of the cost of a charter.

I don't think that "only" and "$500" should appear in the same sentence.
Free and appreciated is better than cheap and unappreciated.

Grumlickin can't afford me, and would be best to stick to the barefoot trackers that are beaming for $5 and a swig of warm water.
Posted By: rost495 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

I don't think that "only" and "$500" should appear in the same sentence.

2 ways to look at this. One, the guide was a dummy for taking a low paying job. The other.... the hunter was a cheapskate. The second is my choice. You invest 20,000 bucks, and the ONLY guy that made it work so that you got a 371 PY gets ONLY 500 bucks?..... Works for me.

Best tip I ever saw, a 4 door slighty used Chevy 1 ton truck.... hunter was a used car dealer, gave the guide that plus shipped it from FL to his house in TX free.....about 8K miles on it IIRC.
I got a complete rifle once.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
I know two African PH's who've been given .470 Nitro-Express double rifles as tips--and one of those has gotten TWO.

Tips are indeed optional, and there really are no rules. One that has been suggested in recent years is distributing 10% of the initial cost of the hunt among the guide, cook and whoever else is involved--except the owner/outfitter.

Tips vary, however, throughout the world, and depend to a large extent on where. At the end of the hunt I once bought my PH and his wife a very nice four-course dinner at a top shoreside seafood restaurant in South Africa, including and two bottles of fine wine. The service and food were both great so I added a 20% tip. The exchange rate was great then and the WHOLE meal, with tip, came to around $35.

The waitress (a very cute young woman) started flirting with me big time as soon as she saw the tip. It got so bad that eventually I was informed by the PH that 10% was a TOP tip in that part of the world, and obviously I was her new love interest....
Posted By: headspace Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Jordan,
I just retired after 30+ years as a commission paid salesman, for the most part.
Your analogy doesn't quite fit. No commission I ever recieved increased the cost of the product after it was quoted to the buyer. Commission come out of the bosses end. Tips are tips.
Your good service created a return customer. You should get a bigger slice from the outfitter. And a tip from the customer!
The tip is "quoted" to the client when the outfitter is filling him in on the fees and costs of the hunt.

A variable-based pay is essential to incenting the guide to work his bag off. Either the outfitter can charge the client more and then give the guide a "commission" based on the client's feedback, or the client can expect to pay a good tip for a guide that goes above and beyond to make sure that he (the client) gets when he came for.
Posted By: rost495 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
Not any job is the same. Comparing paid salesmen to guides to waiters etc.... isn't apples to apples.

One has to make the situation fit.

I can say, as I've heard many guides say before.. I'd rather see excitement in a guys face and little or no tip, knowing he is a blue collar hard worker type like I am and just being delighted to make his day, than to shoot the biggest buck out there with a client that dumps me 500 bucks cash(never happened to me anyway) and bitches about wanting a bigger one or in a hurry to catch his next flight.

Maybe not, but people are generally the same. If you're working in a job, you will do better if you are personally compensated better.

I like to see a client smile as much as anybody, but a smile doesn't put food on the table...
Posted By: super T Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
I'll stand by my statement that the concept of tipping guides is both out of control and has no clear consensus. Most of the guides with whom I've had the pleasure of sharing a hunt with were family men in need of and expecting fair payment for their time and effort. It is for this reason I appreciate knowing up front what's expected of me. If I don't think I can carry the load, I don't go. I will not cut corners at the expense of some guy trying to make a living. On the other hand I will not be taken advantage of either, at least not twice.
I've had hunters tip me 20% of the cost of the hunt but most of the time it is around 10-15%. My daily pay was from $125-150 per day. My day started about 4:30 and usually included making breakfast for clients, planning and packing the lunch cooler, driving my own personal rig to the hunting area (outfitter paid for fuel), hiking and hunting hard all day, skinning and caping for an hour or two after dinner, and then hanging out with the clients till 10:00 or so. If the hunter killed something early in the hunt, then I'd take them coyote hunting, pheasant hunting, shooting prairie dogs, killing rocks, whatever.

I've been fortunate to have guided some very fine men and women from damn near every level of the socio-economic spectrum.

I've found that guys who have worked hard tend to appreciate someone else's hard work.

Brian
Posted By: FLNative Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
Originally Posted by rost495
I can say, as I've heard many guides say before.. I'd rather see excitement in a guys face and little or no tip, knowing he is a blue collar hard worker type like I am and just being delighted to make his day, than to shoot the biggest buck out there with a client that dumps me 500 bucks cash(never happened to me anyway) and bitches about wanting a bigger one or in a hurry to catch his next flight.

I'm an inshore saltwater guide. I can agree with this sentiment, because it's how I feel. Fishing vs hunting; not precisely apples to apples, certainly not in the aspect of price for service, but it's still guiding and the knowledge of the fish, water, and area for given conditions is no different than the knowledge of the game, terrain, and area for given conditions. I charge what I consider a fair price that covers my expenses and compensates me for the knowledge and effort I put in to staying on top of the fish, etc, etc, etc. If the blue collar guy with the grin on his face doesn't tip me for a huge snook he caught, that's fine. Maybe he's already paid as much as he can afford, just to go. He's still grinning from ear to ear and can't believe how "worth it" it was to pony up my fee and go. That is gratifying and satisfying. I also know he's going to go tell all his buddies how great it was and I'll end up with more business down the road from him and them. Works for me. Two of my regular customers vacation in the area every year. They book me for 3-4 trips every time they are down for a week or more. Neither of them tips, and why should they? They are paying me more than enough in 3-4 trips and obviously, they appreciate my ability and effort. If they let me know me far enough in advance, I will clear my calendar for the period they are here, just to accommodate resets for bad weather, etc. Happy to do it.

By the same token, I once took a guy back to the dock and told him he owed me nothing, just to get him off my boat. I expect he was one of the wealthier people I've ever had aboard, but he was a World Clazz Jackazz. Nobody pays me enough to treat me like a servant and call me "boy" on my own boat. There are people in the world who simply are not worth the hassle. I know guides who will tell certain repeat clients they are booked and refer them elsewhere, too.

Tipping is not mandatory and should not be considered so, but it is a courtesy and consideration that ought to be extended whenever one can do so. I do it when the shoe is on the other foot and I always will, and I try to be generous with it. I can tell when a guide is working his tail off to get me a fish and when a guy is just going through the motions to collect his fee and go home. For a one time trip, if I put you on the biggest snook or tarpon or redfish that you ever caught in your life, and you can afford to tip me, are you really going to withhold that gesture because you think you're already paying me "enough"? C'mon. If the conditons on our trip are forecast to be adverse, I will tell you so ahead of time and give you the opportunity to reschedule. I get that you may not be able to, and we'll go anyway if you want to. If we do, and I work my butt off fighting the weather to get you a decent catch, then yeah, a tip goes a long way toward making me feel you appreciated that effort. I'm happy with making my fee, but I'm also very happy to get a nice tip from the guy that can afford it and recognizes my time, knowledge, and effort. The largest tip I ever received was on just such a day. The client told me straight up when we got back to the ramp that he fully expected me to hide from the weather and just hit a few soft spots to get us through the day, but he wanted to go anyway just to get out. He said he fished with guides all over the world and that's what most of them would have done that day. When I didn't do that, he was surprised and impressed and he compensated me in kind.

This idea that "expected" tipping is out of control makes me laugh, but I get that some of you are talking about a whole different realm of fees and tipping and I don't work for an outfitter, I work for myself. I can't afford many guided trips, nearly none in fact, but those I do get to go on, if the guide does a good job, I'm not going to penalize him/her for the outfitter being heavy on the fee and light on the payroll. Of course, I also will never book a trip with an outfitter who has built in the tipping to the fee.

As for the OP's question: 5-10% for effort appreciated, plus whatever you think the guide deserves if you had a fantastic experience. cool

Best -
Andy
Tipping is a touchy subject! Hunting is hunting, nobody can control the animals or the weather, if your guide works hard and you appreciated his services then tip him whatever you feel is right but no guide would want to break a guys bank. Do what you can afford. Tipping based on harvest is ridiculous IMO. Trust me, my work is a LOT easier when animals are moving and conditions are perfect! The hard work comes when nothing seems to be going right and you are trying to pull a rabbit out of your hat so to speak

I've been tipped thousands of dollars and I've been stiffed and everything in between. The greatest thing is when you have somebody that sincerely appreciates your work and lets you know. I will always tell my hunters that tipping is unnecessary to give them the opportunity to not tip. Its an awkward moment for me as I do feel like I am being paid to do a job. I also become good friends with a lot of the guys I hunt with and I hate taking money from friends. That being said, its not easy on equipment and when I take time away from other jobs it can cost me money. I do it because I absolutely love to do it

Posted By: MarkG Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
Yall tip what you want, but there is no animal on earth worth $20,000 of my money, & I don't consider myself poor.
$2,100 dollar tip for a $14,000 hunt.. Not me... Im looking for the $2,100 hunt!!! lol
-

maddog plus 2 on that I would say amen (so be it) I am out of here.
Cheers NC
Posted By: Boise Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/18/11
I started going on guided hunts after reaching 50 but I've yet to go on a guided deer hunt. I have gone on what other may described as high dollar hunts.

I'm guilty of tipping relative to how much I like the guide. The percentage has ranged from 7% to 50% depending on how you look at it. The 7% was on my most expensive hunt and the tip was greater than what the locals made in several months - I resented the outfitter expected me to pay the help, he provide zero pay to the camp staff. On the other hand, the 50% was based on the guide's daily pay, provided by the outfitter, and it was the best hunt I ever experienced. I didn't think giving a gentleman $50 for a full day's work was excessive. He invited me to come back and hunt with him for no charge, I took him up on the offer but arrived at a deal that I felt good with.

I've been around guides that were no better than a cook and with guides I left in camp.

I've also "guided" for friends and family. Spents weeks scouting and locating game only to have them do all the shooting and leaving me with the camp chores. Never had a one give me a dime and only once had one take me on a crappy hunt.

My advice, "do what makes you happy, don't worry about what other's think, and don't let others tell you how to spend your money."
Well, it looks like we've all come to a clear consensus on the issue... grin
Posted By: SoTexasH Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/19/11
I am wondering how much of the hunt fee the guide usually gets? Thats the starting point for any solution to this issue.. well maybe..lol
Posted By: KLM Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/20/11
I do think that tipping can get out of hand and that some outfitters make their guides rely on it instead of paying them fairly, but that is not the hunters problem. I have been on four guided hunts. My guide is my partner and he should know the territory we are hunting and the prey better than me. I am always willing to, and usually do, help cook, gut, butcher, sharpen his knife, pack my share going in and coming out, share an extra jacket or vest, and whatever else it takes to be successful without whining when the going is tough or cold or wet. I never complain about anything to the guide, if I feel I need to it means I have picked a marginal outfitter. Three of my four hunts were experiences that I cherish and still keep in contact with those guides. My standard with these three was 5% of the hunt fee (in cash) and one guide gave me the money back saying it was an insult. The other hunt was indeed a marginal outfitter that provided hunters with a "recommended" tipping list when we arrived at camp. That guide did not deserve 5% and did not get it either. In different camps I have seen unrealistic expectations of hunters who took it out on the guides and those hunters would likely be happier at a game farm. I probably am not the biggest tipper, but years later my guides still say I was a great hunting partner.
There are some clients that are clueless and end up costing guides money.

I had a guy come to camp 3 days early once and the outfitter told him that it was OK to stay and scout with me but that he needed to cover his meals those days as we had already allotted the food for the week. The hunter knew that if you wanted alcohol you needed to bring it yourself.

Long story short, he never reached for his wallet during the scouting time and I was left with the bill for every meal for 3 days, he didnt want to walk on the first day when I found a killable bull a half mile away and he drank all of the cooks beer. He couldnt see a giant 7x7 on the last evening that was literally 150 yards in front of us in the wide ass open and he said he wasnt going to tip because he didnt kill a bull.

I found the best shed I've ever found on that hunt, it was well over 100" and had a 10" drop tine on it. He asked for it repeatedly and I told him that I wasnt willing to part with it. He stole it out of the back of my truck when he left camp. He says he didnt but I know hes lying. It was in there before he left but was gone after he left and camp was in the absolute middle of nowhere.

That hunt cost me a bunch of money.

Whatever you do on a guided hunt, tip or no tip, dont steal from a guide and dont leave him with the check if your not going to pay him back.
Posted By: bangeye Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/20/11
I have never been on a high dollar trip and have instead mostly been on a couple of paid waterfowl hunts offshore fishing trips and a small deer operation in the south. I have always tried to tip 10% (use to be customary) and more recently 15% and usually made it at least $20 or so if the daily fee was under $200. Frankly though my experience with guides has been less than positive to the point I really don't consider using a guide much. I have sat in duck blinds while they told dirty stories about their wives to each other, gone on 1/2day fishing trips where the guy took me but used the time to scout for the big roller guys coming in the next week for 5 days and one guy that bitc--- all day when my buddy needed to take it slow even though we had explained that at time of booking. All expected tips when the day was through. I also had a friend that did go on a high dollar sheep hunt only to have the guide gripe and try and wear him out to show how much better shape he was at high altitude and this guy is in pretty good shape . DUH.. I wonder how well that would work for me when a client came to get their taxes done and I just made fun of their math skills and the fact that they didn't know the IRS tax code and oh yes I wanted a tip tacked onto my fee.
Also to greenhorn that is upset about "only" getting $500 do you know for certain that the guy didn't give additional monies to others in the outfit like the cook wrangler etc. or do you suppose it all belongs to you.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/20/11
bungeye, Where did I say I was "upset"? I had a great time and was appreciative. Just saying that an extra 5 days isn't worth the reward of a 3% tip to me.
Losing a good shed hurts. I found a 8pt elk shed, one side, and our hunter pestered me for 2 days, until the outfitter offered me a better one he had if I'd give mine up. Was pretty sure I could find the other side. That didn't happen after 2 days of searching. Now if I see one I head in another direction & hope the hunter doesn't see it.

Back on topic, $200 day wages is more than the average here, &150 is the norm, the main guy I work for pays $120, but we split the tips. I make enough on my regular job and this is a vacation for me.

The best tip I've got was an old Case knife from a repeat customer, he's a grand old guy, he'd packed that knife for years. He said he might not be back and knew I'd appreciate it. Best $ tip was $600 for 1 day, don't know where that money went, but I'll always have that knife.
Greenhorn, if you weren't pissed, you did a damn good imitation of it. I guess you threatening to short the guy on your efforts if he came back was all in fun, right?
And too, you've gotta love a guide (aka laid-off cowboy or out of work carpenter) that takes a sport's money and then trashes him behing his back.
Greenhorn, if you weren't pissed, you did a damn good imitation of it. I guess you threatening to short the guy on your efforts if he came back was all in fun, right?
And too, you've gotta love a guide (aka laid-off cowboy or out of work carpenter) that takes a sport's money and then trashes him behing his back.

I dont think GH is being unreasonable or that he is trashing anybody. He is merely saying that he will not go out and spend 5 days in advance of the guys hunt on his own dime. Not a DAMN thing wrong with that!

Do you go out and do an extra weeks worth of work and expect nothing in return?

One of the points being missed here is the value of a "good guide".....The good ones are wanting their guys to get great animals even worse than they do themselves. I've been in this buisness for 25+ years and have guided all sorts of hunters from all walks of life, young, old, wealthy, blue collar, experienced, green, fit, fat, the list goes on....The folks who always had the best times and really enjoyed the hunts were the ones that never spoke of money while out hunting. And it wasnt because they had a lot either.

Do your research and hunt with outfits that have a good reputation....they will have good guides. When the hunt is over you'll know what to do with your wallet..
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/20/11

Stillbeamin, you're about as dumb as they come. Maybe instead of an actual example, I should have just said 3% of the hunt fee for a guide that puts in 110% isn't enough - especially if you want 110% the next time.
Originally Posted by bangeye
I have never been on a high dollar trip and have instead mostly been on a couple of paid waterfowl hunts offshore fishing trips and a small deer operation in the south. I have always tried to tip 10% (use to be customary) and more recently 15% and usually made it at least $20 or so if the daily fee was under $200. Frankly though my experience with guides has been less than positive to the point I really don't consider using a guide much. I have sat in duck blinds while they told dirty stories about their wives to each other, gone on 1/2day fishing trips where the guy took me but used the time to scout for the big roller guys coming in the next week for 5 days and one guy that bitc--- all day when my buddy needed to take it slow even though we had explained that at time of booking. All expected tips when the day was through. I also had a friend that did go on a high dollar sheep hunt only to have the guide gripe and try and wear him out to show how much better shape he was at high altitude and this guy is in pretty good shape . DUH.. I wonder how well that would work for me when a client came to get their taxes done and I just made fun of their math skills and the fact that they didn't know the IRS tax code and oh yes I wanted a tip tacked onto my fee.
Also to greenhorn that is upset about "only" getting $500 do you know for certain that the guy didn't give additional monies to others in the outfit like the cook wrangler etc. or do you suppose it all belongs to you.

Tips need to be earned, that's for sure. I'm sorry about your negative experiences with those guys who call themselves "guides" (not sure who or what they were guiding, though?)...
Posted By: Calvin Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/20/11
Another point I forgot to make is that people usually don't tip business owners. In other words, if you own the business, and you run the boat, you usually don't get tipped. If you are a paid employee, you get tipped.

Posted By: Riverhawk Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/20/11

"Do your research and hunt with outfits that have a good reputation....they will have good guides. When the hunt is over you'll know what to do with your wallet.."

+1.....scenarshooter hit the nail on the head....I've experienced both good and really bad guiding and I can blame the bad experiences on not really doing my homework like I should have
Posted By: FLNative Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/21/11
Originally Posted by bangeye

Man, you have had some seriously bad experiences. I'm not real sure such folks deserve to call themselves "guides", much less take peoples' money. There are some like that everywhere, though, I'm sure. I know of a couple and mated for one when I was younger. I didn't mate for him for long.

More generally speaking, like was said before, picking one is often a matter of doing some homework if you can. But, I've been told stories of fishing guides with a good reputation completely pissing off clients. Sometimes, expectations are all out of wack (often thanks to fishing shows on TV). Sometimes, personalities just don't click. Some captains tend to just give orders and keep it pretty impersonal, especially sightfishing or tarpon fishing. I don't. I can get along with almost anybody and I make a point of talking to people; try to adapt my approach to their comfort zone. It's not always easy, but it's usually more enjoyable for both parties. Some like to talk, others don't. Either way suits me. Alot of times, a simple phone call and a few questions to the guide will tell you if he/she is very personable or not. wink

Best -
Andy
Posted By: bangeye Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/21/11
Not all have been bad I took my dad on a goose hunt and two kids were assigned to call for us and they mouth called . It was fascinating to just watch them and they were nice kids about 17yr old. and worked hard. There is a local striper guide that is just an enjoyable fellow to spend the day with. We didn't bring home the big one but we did catch some fish and that's all you can ask. The SC deer hunt was fun the fellows " Guides" they placed you in a tree stand ad came back for you 3-4 hrs later were nice fellows and even thought the big bucks didn't cooperate the group all got our doe tags punched and had a good time. I never can blame the guide for the animals not showing up to be shot on demand. Anyway they all got a tip and seemed to appreciate it. The worst tip experience I ever had was on a corporate golf outing. It was one of those deals that the golf and caddy fee were paid for and as guest we were not allowed to pay for stuff at the proshop it had to go on the corp. account except for the tip. There was no mention of what the caddie fee charged at the proshop was so I figured I didn't want to be cheap so figuring a big caddie fee would be $100 I tipped 20% to the kid and I could immediately tell he was put off. Turns out they expected a $40 tip plus what ever the split they got of what the club charged for the caddie which I never did figure out. But I thought to myself now I know why I carry my own clubs.
Posted By: vvjack1 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/22/11
If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/22/11
I know the type. Expect a B&C animal to be put in their lap or they'll stiff the guide...Even if they take a nice animal.

IME, those with that attitude are often poor hunters, azzhats or both.

JM
Posted By: slg888 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/22/11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38
Been on 2 guided hunts. Prolly wont do another, because I prefer DIY. But as I look back on the tips, I wish I would have gave less to the first and more to the 2nd. I am not made of money by any means and I feel I did more than most to help out throughout the hunt. I gave 110% effort as I always will, including providing ibuprofen and a headlight for the guide.

I really got to thinking about the the incentivizing that someone brought up. I guess when it comes down to it though, if my guide is only going to be motivated by the prospect of a big tip, that is not a guide I want to hunt with.

I can still remember the words my 2nd guide said to me, "I will hunt with you anytime". That to me, was like the guide tipping ME! We had a great hunt from beginning to end and both of enjoyed it immensely.
Berettaman,

Hunting with someone is not the same as guiding them. I hunt with my buddies. If they don't get a good animal they don't blame me for it! If I'm going to feel the pressure for you getting a good animal, and take the heat if you don't, then I need to be tipped if I work my arse off so that you can accomplish your goals. If you wanna go hunting as buddies, that's different. I'll go with you, but I ain't taking you to the honey holes I've scouted, and I ain't going to go to hell and back to get you an awesome animal. But I'll share a campfire with you, tell a lot of good jokes and laugh at yours. Heck, I may even help you field dress your animal if you're lucky enough to get one smile
Hey Sonora, it's one thing to stiff me but steal my shed!?! Iv'e offered to beat good friends for making off with my sheds!!!! LMAO! But.... I just gave a client the first brown four point of the year because he saw the other side fall off the buck and he accidentally ALMOST shot me!!!! WTF was I thinking!!!!
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/28/11
I've only been one place on a guided hunt and I'm going back for my 4th trip there. It is by no means a high priced hunt, and I make very little money at my job, but I always tip. I tip the outfitter/Master Guide, the assistant guide, and the cook.

The hunt only cost $1200, but the last 2 trips I've tipped $200 between the 3 of them. They always work hard in caring for the game killed, are friendly, and the food is A+. Before my 1st trip there I asked about tips, and the outfitter gave me a standard amount given. I try to tip at least that much, and have managed to give more due to their efforts and respect given to me and my friends.

I do know that treating a guide/outfitter well does help with rebookings and smoothing over any situations that may arise.
Posted By: toad Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/28/11
Originally Posted by vvjack1
If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

i bet you don't book many hunts...
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/28/11
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by vvjack1

It depends, I suppose, on what you call "many."

There is a trend to making great promises and chargeing big bucks for hunts and then not delivering. As I've said before, tipping has gotten way out of hand with every cook and bottle washer with his hand out and everyone wanting to outdo another so as to appear generous. All the while, this generates a fair amount of anxiety on the part of the hunter who has no real idea of what to tip. Guides and agents use this anxiety to their advantage hoping to win the lottery.

All I'm saying is that if an operator or guide doesn't deliver what you paid for or wastes your time then don't tip. With what is charged for hunts, there is no reason that the hunt purveyor can't pay the supporting staff adequately and if they don't, then shame on the staff for working for them. Then again, if you wish to pay for a service that isn't delivered, then that's your priviledge.

My attitude has been tempered by a number of experiences:

1. A bear hunt in which my vehicle was used to haul various groups of hunters around. Said hunters were other clients who I had never met before. I didn't get a bear and got the distinct impression that there were few bear around since only one small one was netted in a week of hunting by about 10 hunters, i.e., the hunt was not as advertised.

2. A fishing charter in which, on arrival at the boat, but after paying, there were a bunch of excuses about how the fish were a bit sick and we probably wouldn't get much. We didn't get much, but I gave a tip sucker that I was.

3. Another fishing charter where we took turn manning the rods. During our half day out, I never got to touch a rod but the mate fished for a time. I had a guest and I paid his tip but didn't pay mine. I guess that was when I decided that hunting/fishing purveyors needed to be held to a bit higher standard than is being done. I've always done my job to the best of my ability and have never been tipped so why should others do a half assed job and get tipped?

Be a sucker if you like.
Posted By: toad Re: How much to tip a guide? - 03/28/11
Originally Posted by toad

It depends, I suppose, on what you call "many."

My attitude has been tempered by a number of experiences:

.....A bear hunt.....

just like i thought...i call 'many' a bunch more than one...

Posted By: MTHunter Re: How much to tip a guide? - 04/05/11
http://www.huntinfo.com/ There r more sites like these 4 you hunters to get good or bad outfitters . Good outfitters have good guides and bad outfitters cheep out on there guides .

Tip the guide if he does a good job give him more $$$. If he does a [bleep] job give him YOUR belly lint or your pocket knife. HE WILL GET THE HINT HE DID GOOD OR BAD.
10%
Personally I think tipping is a scam in many industries. Why should I feel obligated to tip anyone who does an average or expected job of delivering the services that I'm already paying for? Why do some service providers have an expectation of tips while others do not? My tailor does a great job but he never expects a tip and he doesn't own the business. The guy who parks your car always expects a tip; what does he do that warrants a tip? It's just years of conditioning the consumer that makes us tip some and not others.

I always tip my guide(s) but it is often because I know it is expected and not necessarily because I've received any exceptional services. I even tip when the service is poor. Guide or waitress - they both get tipped regardless of service.
Posted By: chas05 Re: How much to tip a guide? - 04/07/11
Originally Posted by FLNative
Originally Posted by rost495

I'm an inshore saltwater guide. I can agree with this sentiment, because it's how I feel. Fishing vs hunting; not precisely apples to apples, certainly not in the aspect of price for service, but it's still guiding and the knowledge of the fish, water, and area for given conditions is no different than the knowledge of the game, terrain, and area for given conditions. I charge what I consider a fair price that covers my expenses and compensates me for the knowledge and effort I put in to staying on top of the fish, etc, etc, etc. If the blue collar guy with the grin on his face doesn't tip me for a huge snook he caught, that's fine. Maybe he's already paid as much as he can afford, just to go. He's still grinning from ear to ear and can't believe how "worth it" it was to pony up my fee and go. That is gratifying and satisfying. I also know he's going to go tell all his buddies how great it was and I'll end up with more business down the road from him and them. Works for me. Two of my regular customers vacation in the area every year. They book me for 3-4 trips every time they are down for a week or more. Neither of them tips, and why should they? They are paying me more than enough in 3-4 trips and obviously, they appreciate my ability and effort. If they let me know me far enough in advance, I will clear my calendar for the period they are here, just to accommodate resets for bad weather, etc. Happy to do it.

By the same token, I once took a guy back to the dock and told him he owed me nothing, just to get him off my boat. I expect he was one of the wealthier people I've ever had aboard, but he was a World Clazz Jackazz. Nobody pays me enough to treat me like a servant and call me "boy" on my own boat. There are people in the world who simply are not worth the hassle. I know guides who will tell certain repeat clients they are booked and refer them elsewhere, too.

Tipping is not mandatory and should not be considered so, but it is a courtesy and consideration that ought to be extended whenever one can do so. I do it when the shoe is on the other foot and I always will, and I try to be generous with it. I can tell when a guide is working his tail off to get me a fish and when a guy is just going through the motions to collect his fee and go home. For a one time trip, if I put you on the biggest snook or tarpon or redfish that you ever caught in your life, and you can afford to tip me, are you really going to withhold that gesture because you think you're already paying me "enough"? C'mon. If the conditons on our trip are forecast to be adverse, I will tell you so ahead of time and give you the opportunity to reschedule. I get that you may not be able to, and we'll go anyway if you want to. If we do, and I work my butt off fighting the weather to get you a decent catch, then yeah, a tip goes a long way toward making me feel you appreciated that effort. I'm happy with making my fee, but I'm also very happy to get a nice tip from the guy that can afford it and recognizes my time, knowledge, and effort. The largest tip I ever received was on just such a day. The client told me straight up when we got back to the ramp that he fully expected me to hide from the weather and just hit a few soft spots to get us through the day, but he wanted to go anyway just to get out. He said he fished with guides all over the world and that's what most of them would have done that day. When I didn't do that, he was surprised and impressed and he compensated me in kind.

This idea that "expected" tipping is out of control makes me laugh, but I get that some of you are talking about a whole different realm of fees and tipping and I don't work for an outfitter, I work for myself. I can't afford many guided trips, nearly none in fact, but those I do get to go on, if the guide does a good job, I'm not going to penalize him/her for the outfitter being heavy on the fee and light on the payroll. Of course, I also will never book a trip with an outfitter who has built in the tipping to the fee.

As for the OP's question: 5-10% for effort appreciated, plus whatever you think the guide deserves if you had a fantastic experience. cool

Best -
Andy

I'd fish with you any day...Never booked a hunting trip, but plenty of fishing trips, only burned twice (if I don't count the Cabo pangha trip...was warned :()

I tip what I can afford and say so...never been a problem and never been asked to get off a boat...

Charlie
© 24hourcampfire