-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am wondering how much of the hunt fee the guide usually gets? Thats the starting point for any solution to this issue.. well maybe..lol

GB1

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I do think that tipping can get out of hand and that some outfitters make their guides rely on it instead of paying them fairly, but that is not the hunters problem. I have been on four guided hunts. My guide is my partner and he should know the territory we are hunting and the prey better than me. I am always willing to, and usually do, help cook, gut, butcher, sharpen his knife, pack my share going in and coming out, share an extra jacket or vest, and whatever else it takes to be successful without whining when the going is tough or cold or wet. I never complain about anything to the guide, if I feel I need to it means I have picked a marginal outfitter. Three of my four hunts were experiences that I cherish and still keep in contact with those guides. My standard with these three was 5% of the hunt fee (in cash) and one guide gave me the money back saying it was an insult. The other hunt was indeed a marginal outfitter that provided hunters with a "recommended" tipping list when we arrived at camp. That guide did not deserve 5% and did not get it either. In different camps I have seen unrealistic expectations of hunters who took it out on the guides and those hunters would likely be happier at a game farm. I probably am not the biggest tipper, but years later my guides still say I was a great hunting partner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are some clients that are clueless and end up costing guides money.

I had a guy come to camp 3 days early once and the outfitter told him that it was OK to stay and scout with me but that he needed to cover his meals those days as we had already allotted the food for the week. The hunter knew that if you wanted alcohol you needed to bring it yourself.

Long story short, he never reached for his wallet during the scouting time and I was left with the bill for every meal for 3 days, he didnt want to walk on the first day when I found a killable bull a half mile away and he drank all of the cooks beer. He couldnt see a giant 7x7 on the last evening that was literally 150 yards in front of us in the wide ass open and he said he wasnt going to tip because he didnt kill a bull.

I found the best shed I've ever found on that hunt, it was well over 100" and had a 10" drop tine on it. He asked for it repeatedly and I told him that I wasnt willing to part with it. He stole it out of the back of my truck when he left camp. He says he didnt but I know hes lying. It was in there before he left but was gone after he left and camp was in the absolute middle of nowhere.

That hunt cost me a bunch of money.

Whatever you do on a guided hunt, tip or no tip, dont steal from a guide and dont leave him with the check if your not going to pay him back.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have never been on a high dollar trip and have instead mostly been on a couple of paid waterfowl hunts offshore fishing trips and a small deer operation in the south. I have always tried to tip 10% (use to be customary) and more recently 15% and usually made it at least $20 or so if the daily fee was under $200. Frankly though my experience with guides has been less than positive to the point I really don't consider using a guide much. I have sat in duck blinds while they told dirty stories about their wives to each other, gone on 1/2day fishing trips where the guy took me but used the time to scout for the big roller guys coming in the next week for 5 days and one guy that bitc--- all day when my buddy needed to take it slow even though we had explained that at time of booking. All expected tips when the day was through. I also had a friend that did go on a high dollar sheep hunt only to have the guide gripe and try and wear him out to show how much better shape he was at high altitude and this guy is in pretty good shape . DUH.. I wonder how well that would work for me when a client came to get their taxes done and I just made fun of their math skills and the fact that they didn't know the IRS tax code and oh yes I wanted a tip tacked onto my fee.
Also to greenhorn that is upset about "only" getting $500 do you know for certain that the guy didn't give additional monies to others in the outfit like the cook wrangler etc. or do you suppose it all belongs to you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
bungeye, Where did I say I was "upset"? I had a great time and was appreciative. Just saying that an extra 5 days isn't worth the reward of a 3% tip to me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Losing a good shed hurts. I found a 8pt elk shed, one side, and our hunter pestered me for 2 days, until the outfitter offered me a better one he had if I'd give mine up. Was pretty sure I could find the other side. That didn't happen after 2 days of searching. Now if I see one I head in another direction & hope the hunter doesn't see it.

Back on topic, $200 day wages is more than the average here, &150 is the norm, the main guy I work for pays $120, but we split the tips. I make enough on my regular job and this is a vacation for me.

The best tip I've got was an old Case knife from a repeat customer, he's a grand old guy, he'd packed that knife for years. He said he might not be back and knew I'd appreciate it. Best $ tip was $600 for 1 day, don't know where that money went, but I'll always have that knife.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Greenhorn, if you weren't pissed, you did a damn good imitation of it. I guess you threatening to short the guy on your efforts if he came back was all in fun, right?
And too, you've gotta love a guide (aka laid-off cowboy or out of work carpenter) that takes a sport's money and then trashes him behing his back.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Greenhorn, if you weren't pissed, you did a damn good imitation of it. I guess you threatening to short the guy on your efforts if he came back was all in fun, right?
And too, you've gotta love a guide (aka laid-off cowboy or out of work carpenter) that takes a sport's money and then trashes him behing his back.

I dont think GH is being unreasonable or that he is trashing anybody. He is merely saying that he will not go out and spend 5 days in advance of the guys hunt on his own dime. Not a DAMN thing wrong with that!

Do you go out and do an extra weeks worth of work and expect nothing in return?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the points being missed here is the value of a "good guide".....The good ones are wanting their guys to get great animals even worse than they do themselves. I've been in this buisness for 25+ years and have guided all sorts of hunters from all walks of life, young, old, wealthy, blue collar, experienced, green, fit, fat, the list goes on....The folks who always had the best times and really enjoyed the hunts were the ones that never spoke of money while out hunting. And it wasnt because they had a lot either.

Do your research and hunt with outfits that have a good reputation....they will have good guides. When the hunt is over you'll know what to do with your wallet..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

Stillbeamin, you're about as dumb as they come. Maybe instead of an actual example, I should have just said 3% of the hunt fee for a guide that puts in 110% isn't enough - especially if you want 110% the next time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bangeye
I have never been on a high dollar trip and have instead mostly been on a couple of paid waterfowl hunts offshore fishing trips and a small deer operation in the south. I have always tried to tip 10% (use to be customary) and more recently 15% and usually made it at least $20 or so if the daily fee was under $200. Frankly though my experience with guides has been less than positive to the point I really don't consider using a guide much. I have sat in duck blinds while they told dirty stories about their wives to each other, gone on 1/2day fishing trips where the guy took me but used the time to scout for the big roller guys coming in the next week for 5 days and one guy that bitc--- all day when my buddy needed to take it slow even though we had explained that at time of booking. All expected tips when the day was through. I also had a friend that did go on a high dollar sheep hunt only to have the guide gripe and try and wear him out to show how much better shape he was at high altitude and this guy is in pretty good shape . DUH.. I wonder how well that would work for me when a client came to get their taxes done and I just made fun of their math skills and the fact that they didn't know the IRS tax code and oh yes I wanted a tip tacked onto my fee.
Also to greenhorn that is upset about "only" getting $500 do you know for certain that the guy didn't give additional monies to others in the outfit like the cook wrangler etc. or do you suppose it all belongs to you.

Tips need to be earned, that's for sure. I'm sorry about your negative experiences with those guys who call themselves "guides" (not sure who or what they were guiding, though?)...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Another point I forgot to make is that people usually don't tip business owners. In other words, if you own the business, and you run the boat, you usually don't get tipped. If you are a paid employee, you get tipped.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Do your research and hunt with outfits that have a good reputation....they will have good guides. When the hunt is over you'll know what to do with your wallet.."

+1.....scenarshooter hit the nail on the head....I've experienced both good and really bad guiding and I can blame the bad experiences on not really doing my homework like I should have

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by bangeye

Man, you have had some seriously bad experiences. I'm not real sure such folks deserve to call themselves "guides", much less take peoples' money. There are some like that everywhere, though, I'm sure. I know of a couple and mated for one when I was younger. I didn't mate for him for long.

More generally speaking, like was said before, picking one is often a matter of doing some homework if you can. But, I've been told stories of fishing guides with a good reputation completely pissing off clients. Sometimes, expectations are all out of wack (often thanks to fishing shows on TV). Sometimes, personalities just don't click. Some captains tend to just give orders and keep it pretty impersonal, especially sightfishing or tarpon fishing. I don't. I can get along with almost anybody and I make a point of talking to people; try to adapt my approach to their comfort zone. It's not always easy, but it's usually more enjoyable for both parties. Some like to talk, others don't. Either way suits me. Alot of times, a simple phone call and a few questions to the guide will tell you if he/she is very personable or not. wink

Best -
Andy

Last edited by FLNative; 03/20/11. Reason: removed part of quote
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not all have been bad I took my dad on a goose hunt and two kids were assigned to call for us and they mouth called . It was fascinating to just watch them and they were nice kids about 17yr old. and worked hard. There is a local striper guide that is just an enjoyable fellow to spend the day with. We didn't bring home the big one but we did catch some fish and that's all you can ask. The SC deer hunt was fun the fellows " Guides" they placed you in a tree stand ad came back for you 3-4 hrs later were nice fellows and even thought the big bucks didn't cooperate the group all got our doe tags punched and had a good time. I never can blame the guide for the animals not showing up to be shot on demand. Anyway they all got a tip and seemed to appreciate it. The worst tip experience I ever had was on a corporate golf outing. It was one of those deals that the golf and caddy fee were paid for and as guest we were not allowed to pay for stuff at the proshop it had to go on the corp. account except for the tip. There was no mention of what the caddie fee charged at the proshop was so I figured I didn't want to be cheap so figuring a big caddie fee would be $100 I tipped 20% to the kid and I could immediately tell he was put off. Turns out they expected a $40 tip plus what ever the split they got of what the club charged for the caddie which I never did figure out. But I thought to myself now I know why I carry my own clubs.

V
V
If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know the type. Expect a B&C animal to be put in their lap or they'll stiff the guide...Even if they take a nice animal.

IME, those with that attitude are often poor hunters, azzhats or both.

JM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been on 2 guided hunts. Prolly wont do another, because I prefer DIY. But as I look back on the tips, I wish I would have gave less to the first and more to the 2nd. I am not made of money by any means and I feel I did more than most to help out throughout the hunt. I gave 110% effort as I always will, including providing ibuprofen and a headlight for the guide.

I really got to thinking about the the incentivizing that someone brought up. I guess when it comes down to it though, if my guide is only going to be motivated by the prospect of a big tip, that is not a guide I want to hunt with.

I can still remember the words my 2nd guide said to me, "I will hunt with you anytime". That to me, was like the guide tipping ME! We had a great hunt from beginning to end and both of enjoyed it immensely.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Berettaman,

Hunting with someone is not the same as guiding them. I hunt with my buddies. If they don't get a good animal they don't blame me for it! If I'm going to feel the pressure for you getting a good animal, and take the heat if you don't, then I need to be tipped if I work my arse off so that you can accomplish your goals. If you wanna go hunting as buddies, that's different. I'll go with you, but I ain't taking you to the honey holes I've scouted, and I ain't going to go to hell and back to get you an awesome animal. But I'll share a campfire with you, tell a lot of good jokes and laugh at yours. Heck, I may even help you field dress your animal if you're lucky enough to get one smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,339
Posts18,506,151
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.