Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
If one goes on a high-dollar deer hunt and shoots a trophy buck, what is the normal dollar amount, or percentage, to tip the guide?

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have never been on such a hunt, but I do know a few that do go on canned hunts and some will tip as much as $500.00 if the guide shows them the buck of their dreams or sits them in a really good stand, I know a guy who gave his guide a brand new pair of Leica Trinovid 8x32's for putting him in a great shooting house in Texas, I would think that a 10% to 15% of the price of the hunt tip would satisfy any guide .............Good luck...........Hillbilly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Va says I've never been on one of the high dollar type hunts either. Have an acquaintence that is a "guide" on one of the premier south Texas places. He has told me that he has been given Swarovski (sp) binoculars, expensive knives, and other stuff. He says his most commom tip is a couple of Benjamins.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Isn't it ironic that one goes on a high priced (probably overpriced) hunt and then expects to tip more? In my opinion this tipping thing has gotten way out of hand. It used to be you did your job and then got paid what you agreed on. Now you pay bunches of money, get average service and then expect to pay more in tip because the purveyor of the hunt doesn't choose to compensate his/her employees adequately from the hunt proceeds. So;

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

1. I will pay no more in tip than 10% of the cost of the hunt in total tips if the hunt goes as promised. Since the word "T I P S" is derived from the phrase To Insure Prompt Service, just going as promised is setting the bar low enough. If the hunt doesn't go as promised, the tip could be less or zero.

2. If you waste my time or have no regard to my preferences, I'll remove some tip for my trouble.

3. If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

4. Don't even dream of telling me how much to tip or suggest I give all the tip money to some head honcho for him/her to distribute. I will tip what I deem appropriate and will tip those I believe deserve it. If there is any suggestion on a web site or in the hunt purveyors literature of how much to tip; I ain't going where they're taking me. They can find another sucker.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
110% agreed Grumulkin, to many expectin' something for nothing these days.
WTF happened to a days pay for a days WORK?

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Grumulkin, +2!!!

maddog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The tipping expectation is indeed getting out of control. Many of the larger ranches in the west have hunting operations and the guides are generally employees or other guys from the area. Some guides are very good at what they do others can be, well not so good. The ranch pays the guides for their time, but there is high expectation that the hunter will tip his guide very well. One operation I know about actually writes the tip amount into the agreement and it is paid before the hunt begins. In this case the tip is $1000. Gasoline isn't the only thing that's gotten expensive.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Anybody who would write a tip in a contract for a hunt, for me would promptly be told to stick the trip up their azz!

maddog

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I actually wouldn't care if the tip was written into the agreement as long as it was a set amount; something like all inclusive resorts. I would then consider it part of the total cost of the hunt and I would then compare it with the cost of other hunts and choose accordingly. Obviously, if it was paid in advance or if it was priced with the hunt, I would pay no more in additional tip.

My main objections to tipping other than what I've stated above is the fact that current tipping practice:

1. Leads to anxiety on the part of the client who doesn't wish to appear discourteous and doesn't know what the appropriate amount is to pay. I believe hunt purveyors take advantage of this practice hoping that said anxiety and wish to please will result in a tip that is perhaps more than deserved.

2. Some hunt purveyors suggest tipping even every cook and bottle washer. Some even line them up for their handout purposely, I believe, putting the client in an embarrassing position if he/she doesn't want to tip. The ones I'll consider tipping are the PH, the tracker, the skinners, maybe the cook and anyone else who makes my trip especially enjoyable.

By the way, technically speaking, you don't tip the owner of an operation.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've guided one hunt, elk archery on a large local private ranch. The cost of the hunt was $14000 at the time. The hunter also had to cough up another $1200 or so for the state license, pay for his travel, meat processing, and taxidermy. Once you throw in the fuel and pilot (came to MT in his own plane), he was easily into it over $20K.

I spent 5 days on my own, unpaid in advance scouting, hanging tree stands, etc. He had an unreal action packed hunt with 20+ opportunities at legit trophy 6X6 bull elk and shot a 371P&Y on day 5. He told me he wanted to return and for me to be his guide.. yet only tipped $500. If there were to be a next time, I'd forget about scouting.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I've guided one hunt, elk archery on a large local private ranch. The cost of the hunt was $14000 at the time. The hunter also had to cough up another $1200 or so for the state license, pay for his travel, meat processing, and taxidermy. Once you throw in the fuel and pilot (came to MT in his own plane), he was easily into it over $20K.

I spent 5 days on my own, unpaid in advance scouting, hanging tree stands, etc. He had an unreal action packed hunt with 20+ opportunities at legit trophy 6X6 bull elk and shot a 371P&Y on day 5. He told me he wanted to return and for me to be his guide.. yet only tipped $500. If there were to be a next time, I'd forget about scouting.

He probably heard you drank PBR. <grin>

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Around 10% of the hunt cost is usually a good rule of thumb. I've hunted with some outfitters for many years and asked them what other hunters usually tip their guides, it's usually around 5-10% unless the hunters were very wealthy.

Some outfitters don't pay their guides at all, which I feel is wrong. I always ask the outfitter if he pays his guides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a guide, I always expect to be paid well for HARD work (which includes every day of guiding for me). This is why tipping is important. If the outfitter paid the guide's entire wages, the guide would lose some incentive to work as hard as he possibly can to make the client happy. "Satisfied" would do, rather than "exceptionally pleased". The first good animal that walked along would get shot, rather than holding out for a true specimen.

This is why my experience has been that a guide's income typically is 50/50 split between tip and outfitter daily wage. It's kind of like a salesman that gets salary plus commission. He has some sort of income guarantee, with the potential to earn more by working extra hard. Are you guys also opposed to commission-based employment?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

Just curious,

1. How much do you think you should have been tipped?

2. Out of the $14,000 the guy paid for the hunt, how much went to you?

3. Was ALL of the scouting for the benefit of that one client or were others benefited by it as well?

4. Including only the scouting that was done for the sole benefit of that one client, how many days did you devote to getting the guy his elk?

5. Do you or do you not believe that knowing your hunting area well is a requirement for holding yourself out for hire as a guide?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
As a guide, I always expect to be paid well for HARD work (which includes every day of guiding for me). This is why tipping is important. If the outfitter paid the guide's entire wages, the guide would lose some incentive to work as hard as he possibly can to make the client happy. "Satisfied" would do, rather than "exceptionally pleased". The first good animal that walked along would get shot, rather than holding out for a true specimen.

This is why my experience has been that a guide's income typically is 50/50 split between tip and outfitter daily wage. It's kind of like a salesman that gets salary plus commission. He has some sort of income guarantee, with the potential to earn more by working extra hard. Are you guys also opposed to commission-based employment?

You're kind of making my point. There used to be a time where it was expected that you would do your best for the agreed on remuneration. Wouldn't it be sad if your doctor had to be tipped to get the incentive to do his/her best job for you? If the outfitter has to depend on tips for his guides to perform as expected, it would seem to me the quality of guides would be open to question.

The outfitter should pay the guides, if they're that good, a decent wage. And no, I'm not opposed to commission base employment but a tip is not a commission.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a form of commission. Especially if the outfitter tells the client before the hunt that if they are extremely pleased, 10% the cost of the hunt is common, marginally pleased- 5%, and so on. It is an unwritten and unspoken "agreed upon" commission. The client agrees to it by accepting the outfitter's instructions and going on the hunt.

Why do you believe that commission-based employment is acceptable, but tips are not? Should the salesman not do his VERY best, as you have said above, whether he works on salary or commission?

I'm just finishing up my program at business school right now, and I can tell you that regardless of ethics and work habits, people are psychologically motivated by the opportunity for greater personal gain. Any time you want to encourage employees to give exceptional service and effort (rather than just "good" service), you will incent them with at least a partial tipping or commission/bonus structure. Are you also opposed to getting a performance bonus at work because the bonus amount is not agreed upon prior to the work being done? This is another example of people's motivation stemming, to some degree, from personal gain and reward.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

Just curious,

1. How much do you think you should have been tipped?

2. Out of the $14,000 the guy paid for the hunt, how much went to you?

3. Was ALL of the scouting for the benefit of that one client or were others benefited by it as well?

4. Including only the scouting that was done for the sole benefit of that one client, how many days did you devote to getting the guy his elk?

5. Do you or do you not believe that knowing your hunting area well is a requirement for holding yourself out for hire as a guide?

1. 15% or better of the base hunt price.
2. I think I was getting around $200/day for 5 days.
3. It was for one guy.
4. 11+ days.
5. Damn straight.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Isn't it ironic that one goes on a high priced (probably overpriced) hunt and then expects to tip more? In my opinion this tipping thing has gotten way out of hand. It used to be you did your job and then got paid what you agreed on. Now you pay bunches of money, get average service and then expect to pay more in tip because the purveyor of the hunt doesn't choose to compensate his/her employees adequately from the hunt proceeds. So;

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

1. I will pay no more in tip than 10% of the cost of the hunt in total tips if the hunt goes as promised. Since the word "T I P S" is derived from the phrase To Insure Prompt Service, just going as promised is setting the bar low enough. If the hunt doesn't go as promised, the tip could be less or zero.

2. If you waste my time or have no regard to my preferences, I'll remove some tip for my trouble.

3. If I don't get the animal I'm after through no major fault of my own like missing a broadside shot at 50 yards, there will be no tip. Yes, I know, that's hunting and it's harsh. It's also tipping.

4. Don't even dream of telling me how much to tip or suggest I give all the tip money to some head honcho for him/her to distribute. I will tip what I deem appropriate and will tip those I believe deserve it. If there is any suggestion on a web site or in the hunt purveyors literature of how much to tip; I ain't going where they're taking me. They can find another sucker.

Quite often, you get what you pay for. I find it funny that you boast of paying no more than 10%, but only if you "get what is promised." Do you say that when you are seated at a table in a good restraunt? If you did, my guess is the cook would spit in your food and high-five the waitress.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Were you born an a$$hole or did you have to work at it ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only tip when I think someone has done a good job. In the case of excellent service I'll tip up to 25%. If you suck then you'll get no additional funds from me - I suppose if I were to go on a guided hunt the same concept would apply. I don't look at a tip as something that is guaranteed - You are only going to get it if you earn it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 16,405 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,904
Posts18,538,789
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.