Home
Anyone tried PVC pipe on the legs of the feeder?
Coons are eating us out of house and home even with the larger cages.

FYI this is mainly for baiting hogs for all you non-Texans.

jcc

Yep, but they'll still find a way. Does mostly work though. Ours were normally attached with a small chain party way up, but they break.
Or maybe this model was still too close to the ground
[Linked Image]
I like to kill several birds with one stone.....!!
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR
Wouldn't dead coons make good hog bait?
Excellent pic of great young man and his bounty, I hope that is not a live rail . Being a RR employee I have a great fear of coming around a corner or coming over the top of a hill and seeing a child on the rail and we can't get stopped in time, being a parent that would be devestating and would probably end my railroading.Just a thought for all that live near the XX's.
Might as well be..........a few trains a week I'd guess. Being a RR man you should be able to discern that just by looking I'd guess.....................

X-VERMINATOR

[Linked Image]
We have used the pipe, but shorter than in the picture, and its generally tied on with tarred trotline string. Big thing is that it has enough string slack to be able to spin and twist.

I have yet to see a coon at any of my feeders be successful at crawling up with the pipe on them.

Caveat, we don't have tons of coons at the lease either though. But there are enough that we had to do something to keep them off and every now and then, like the chain, the string breaks... then they crawl up, and I"ve even had em spin the wing nut off the timer box and open that up.... so the pipe does the trick for us.
I have found a way to keep coons from destroying my feeders. It's a large bug zapper like device. I made a normal type varmint guard from hardware cloth. The type you would use to build a rabbit hutch. Inside that guard I place a smaller guard which is epoxied into the lip of a lid from a five gallon plastic bucket. I cut a hole in the center of the bucket lid to go around the feeder motor. The plastic lid is attached to the bottom of the feeder and serves to insulate the inner guard from the feeder.

I attached a capacitor from a disposable camera to both the inner and outer varmint guards. When a coon tries to reach through the guards, he closes the circuit and gets the piss shocked out of him.

The "varmint zapper" is recharged from a 6 volt battery with a solar battery charger.

The best feature of my home made zapper is that deer can't get shocked. The only things that can receive a zap are critters that can poke a paw through the one by two inch outer mesh wire and touch the inner mesh.

It works so well that the coons have learned to leave the barrel feeders alone.

My on demand feeder required a different approach. The only draw back here is I have to replace the carpet tacks occasionally.

[Linked Image]
At the moment I seem to be winning the battle in the ongoing coon vs feeder war.

[Linked Image]

I don't hate coons and I don't really mind if they eat some of the deer corn. If they didn't destroy my feeders I'd call a truce.

Here's one I mounted a while back. He sits on the fireplace mantle.

[Linked Image]
I just looked here for the veiled jokes.
Got a pic of the Varmint Zapper?
That's what I'm talking about...........gotta be proactive!

X-VERMINATOR
Carpet tack strips on the legs. Magical. Cheap too.
Move to Switzerland.
No picture, I will get one next time I go out.
Thanks for the ideas. We do use the lethal methods, but I need something that works when I ain't around.

For all ya'll that don't have lots of coons, count your blessings. We have a photo of 8 at one time!

jcc
Originally Posted by Karnis
Carpet tack strips on the legs.
They work great.
Originally Posted by JCC
Thanks for the ideas. We do use the lethal methods, but I need something that works when I ain't around.

For all ya'll that don't have lots of coons, count your blessings. We have a photo of 8 at one time!

jcc

This is what I use when not around.........
[Linked Image]

Not enough people hunt or trap coons these days due to low fur prices.......the result is an over abundance. Don't know about there but here they are hell on our ground nesting birds.

Last thing I want to do is supplemental feed coons just so they can thrive and do damage to our quail and turkey population.

It is lethal methods only around my farm!!

X-VERMINATOR
Everything gets to eat a little bit. Javelina, hogs, turkey, doves, quail, deer, squirrels. The corn and protein doesn't go to waste, but coons are getting more than their share.
But coons damaging my feeders hurts worse than the others.
And I can fence the hogs out!
Have a live creek and rivers through our hunting areas insure a healthy coon population, corn or no corn.
jcc
Originally Posted by slg888
They work great.

Any pics? How do you attach? How far up the legs? How long strips? Need more details.

Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by JCC

jcc

[Linked Image]

Not enough people hunt or trap coons these days due to low fur prices.......the result is an over abundance. Don't know about there but here they are hell on our ground nesting birds.

Last thing I want to do is supplemental feed coons just so they can thrive and do damage to our quail and turkey population.

X-VERMINATOR

Can deer get into this? We've got a coon problem on our lease and have seen 4 or 5 in a pic at the same time. I can't camp out at night just for coons....and need to find a way to get them gone.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by slg888
They work great.

Any pics? How do you attach? How far up the legs? How long strips? Need more details.

No pics. Buy them as they come from the hardware store. Use some bailing wire and strap them on wherever you like. They will last one season, maybe two before the wood rots. laugh
Originally Posted by JCC

jcc

[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

What is that? looks like a little hand trap? Is that the idea? stick there hand in there and cant get it back out?

Exactly, they're called coon cuffs
[Linked Image]
I have some metal versions called sharks teeth, but I haven't seen they keep the coons off.

jcc
Carpet tack strips wired or ty-wrapped to your feeder legs. They are cheap, easy to obtain and disposable. Coons don't much like them.
Yep coon cuffs, no deer cannot get into them. In fact nothing can except coons and the occasional opossum. Coons are known for chewing there own legs off when caught in steel leg hold traps. They do this because it hurts. Coon Cuffs simply hold them without pain....

Couple drops of fish oil on a small marshmallow is all you need to do lots of damage.........grin!

I like this one as well...it's called Lil' Griz Geter'z. The Coon Cuff needs to be buried (my opinion) but the Lil' Griz does not. I use and like both but for different applications.....
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Just ordered some lil' griz, so I'll see how they work.

X, when do you use one style over the other?

Have you tried the Duke dog-proof?

We are over-run with coons. Had a coon-killer machine but he died and my GSD doesn't pursue them all the way to the gates of hell like his predecessor did.

Alot of guys that I know dont trap or hunt raccoons anymore
like they used to. Low fur prices. A family of raccoons can
destroy a garden in one night.
I have never done it but I hear whistle whistle whistle whistle Antifreeze and chicken wings work very well !
Originally Posted by tomk
X, when do you use one style over the other?

Have you tried the Duke dog-proof?

We are over-run with coons. Had a coon-killer machine but he died and my GSD doesn't pursue them all the way to the gates of hell like his predecessor did.

Either will work but the 'cuffs with a dirt hole set will catch more coons around feeders IMO. Often this is because coons are naturally curious and can't resist sticking there hands into dirt holes, especially if there is something smelly in there.

Curiosity catches more coon around feeders than just bait IMO.. They already have all the food they could possibly want coming from the feeder!

Where the Lil' Griz shines is the trap line. In the warmer parts of the winter I run coon trap lines on farms that I manage for wildlife. The 'Grizz can be pre-set/baited at home then simply placed on top of the ground and anchored along my routes......Not having to dig holes saves lots of time when you are running around 60+ traps.

With a 50+% catch rate I need to conserve as much time as possible for skinning..........

X-VERMINATOR
Sorry, I have not used the Duke Dog Proof...

X-VERMINATOR
I have pretty good luck just greasing the legs really good. Works for bears also.
Thanks X

That's a lot of skinning....
Get some Golden Malrin and put some in a dish with either Dr Pepper or another sweet soft drink.

Be careful though as you're poisoning the raccoon and you never know what bunny hugger might try to turn you in for.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...golden-malrin-reg-fly-bait-1-lb--2212645
Carpet tack strips on the legs. Magical. Cheap too.

Thats what my dad does, works like a charm. It is fun to watch them try and get around them and find a way up. Little buggers are smart.
Check these things out. They are called BossBuck Shark Teeth. same idea as the tacks. Scroll down to see them.

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/powercontrolunits.html

Originally Posted by JCC

jcc

[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR
well, i wish i knew wathell that was/is
Originally Posted by rrroae
Get some Golden Malrin and put some in a dish with either Dr Pepper or another sweet soft drink.

Be careful though as you're poisoning the raccoon and you never know what bunny hugger might try to turn you in for.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...olden-malrin-reg-f/ly-bait-1-lb--2212645
how do you keep the deer out?
© 24hourcampfire