Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jcc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone tried PVC pipe on the legs of the feeder?
Coons are eating us out of house and home even with the larger cages.

FYI this is mainly for baiting hogs for all you non-Texans.

jcc

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, but they'll still find a way. Does mostly work though. Ours were normally attached with a small chain party way up, but they break.
Or maybe this model was still too close to the ground
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to kill several birds with one stone.....!!
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 04/13/11.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wouldn't dead coons make good hog bait?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Excellent pic of great young man and his bounty, I hope that is not a live rail . Being a RR employee I have a great fear of coming around a corner or coming over the top of a hill and seeing a child on the rail and we can't get stopped in time, being a parent that would be devestating and would probably end my railroading.Just a thought for all that live near the XX's.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might as well be..........a few trains a week I'd guess. Being a RR man you should be able to discern that just by looking I'd guess.....................

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We have used the pipe, but shorter than in the picture, and its generally tied on with tarred trotline string. Big thing is that it has enough string slack to be able to spin and twist.

I have yet to see a coon at any of my feeders be successful at crawling up with the pipe on them.

Caveat, we don't have tons of coons at the lease either though. But there are enough that we had to do something to keep them off and every now and then, like the chain, the string breaks... then they crawl up, and I"ve even had em spin the wing nut off the timer box and open that up.... so the pipe does the trick for us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found a way to keep coons from destroying my feeders. It's a large bug zapper like device. I made a normal type varmint guard from hardware cloth. The type you would use to build a rabbit hutch. Inside that guard I place a smaller guard which is epoxied into the lip of a lid from a five gallon plastic bucket. I cut a hole in the center of the bucket lid to go around the feeder motor. The plastic lid is attached to the bottom of the feeder and serves to insulate the inner guard from the feeder.

I attached a capacitor from a disposable camera to both the inner and outer varmint guards. When a coon tries to reach through the guards, he closes the circuit and gets the piss shocked out of him.

The "varmint zapper" is recharged from a 6 volt battery with a solar battery charger.

The best feature of my home made zapper is that deer can't get shocked. The only things that can receive a zap are critters that can poke a paw through the one by two inch outer mesh wire and touch the inner mesh.

It works so well that the coons have learned to leave the barrel feeders alone.

My on demand feeder required a different approach. The only draw back here is I have to replace the carpet tacks occasionally.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the moment I seem to be winning the battle in the ongoing coon vs feeder war.

[Linked Image]

I don't hate coons and I don't really mind if they eat some of the deer corn. If they didn't destroy my feeders I'd call a truce.

Here's one I mounted a while back. He sits on the fireplace mantle.

[Linked Image]

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just looked here for the veiled jokes.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a pic of the Varmint Zapper?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what I'm talking about...........gotta be proactive!

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carpet tack strips on the legs. Magical. Cheap too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Move to Switzerland.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No picture, I will get one next time I go out.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
J
jcc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the ideas. We do use the lethal methods, but I need something that works when I ain't around.

For all ya'll that don't have lots of coons, count your blessings. We have a photo of 8 at one time!

jcc

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Karnis
Carpet tack strips on the legs.
They work great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCC
Thanks for the ideas. We do use the lethal methods, but I need something that works when I ain't around.

For all ya'll that don't have lots of coons, count your blessings. We have a photo of 8 at one time!

jcc

This is what I use when not around.........
[Linked Image]

Not enough people hunt or trap coons these days due to low fur prices.......the result is an over abundance. Don't know about there but here they are hell on our ground nesting birds.

Last thing I want to do is supplemental feed coons just so they can thrive and do damage to our quail and turkey population.

It is lethal methods only around my farm!!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 04/15/11.

J
jcc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Everything gets to eat a little bit. Javelina, hogs, turkey, doves, quail, deer, squirrels. The corn and protein doesn't go to waste, but coons are getting more than their share.
But coons damaging my feeders hurts worse than the others.
And I can fence the hogs out!
Have a live creek and rivers through our hunting areas insure a healthy coon population, corn or no corn.
jcc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,302
Posts18,525,996
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.