Home
Posted By: powdr OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
It has been 103-110 degrees so far every day but about four this summer. We have just started the 4th of July weekend and it is supposed to be 105-107 for the next week. One day is however only suppose to be 99.This is three of these hotter 'n Hell summers in a row here in Texas.

We have a large bucket on our back deck for the critters to drink from. Three days ago my wife went out early and found a grown doe drinking from the community water.Scared her and the doe so bad they both slipped down trying to escape one another. This is ridiculous! We won't get any relief until about the 3rd week of October...if then. People dying everyday.
powdr

Posted By: 1minute Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
Have some friends down that way and don't know how they tolerate it. I think we might have made 80 degrees for the first time this summer here.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
I think I will keep the occasional -30 degrees rather than 100+ for a couple months.
Posted By: KC Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11

powdr:

I lived in Phoenix for five years, in the '70s. Those kind of temps were standard in the summer. One summer I worked as a landscape laborer; shoveling gravel and mulch, digging holes to plant trees and shrubs, laying sod, digging trenches for sprinkler systems, etc. Another summer I worked as a roofer. Try mopping hot tar on a black roof when the temp is hovering around 110�F. I remember that we could count on a few days each summer when temps were in the 115�-120� range. Of course I was young a strong and I could take it all in stride. Working that hard in those temps would probably kill me now. We always had two Igloo coolers filled with ice water. One was for drinking and we would soak out "T" shirts in the other one. We would put on the wet "T" shirts and they water would evaporate cooling us a little for maybe ten minutes. I learned that the Mexican tradition of siesta makes a lot of sense.

KC

Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
This heat has been ridiculous. The summer started off abnormally cool and then immediately went to 102*.
Posted By: powdr Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
Yes and only marginal,scattered rainfall. Not even enough to keep the Johnson grass green. I've had a list of things I need to do for over a month but my Dr. has me home bound till at least a little cooler weather shows up. Really guys, this is one of the worst summers I've seen in my 59yrs. So hot when you open the door it feels like your opening an oven set to 450 degrees. We've got three more months of it...might as well grin and bear it. powdr
Posted By: BikerRN Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
From what I've seen on the fire information website it appears that Texas has a bunch of small fires burning too. Look for some good grass as soon as you get some rain.

From a hunting point of view I love to see the fires. As for the heat, been dealing with it for years. I'm tired of the heat, Arizona desert, but can't move for a few more years yet. When I do move I'll move someplace where snow is the normal and I'll be praying for heat.

Biker
Posted By: saddlesore Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
Heat wave here too at 7600 feet. Went all the way to 87 this week. laugh
Posted By: Ebby Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
Don't come to Mississippi! We have getting scorched here lately as well. Temps have been in the 95-101 range but the humidity has been 50-70%. It's been intolerable.

I was in Scottsdale 2 weeks ago and the temps were 110F with 5-10% humidity. We hiked and ran and climbed Camelback and felt much better than what we have here.

As a matter of fact, we have even considered moving out there it was so much more comfortable.

Lee
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Heat wave here too at 7600 feet. Went all the way to 87 this week. laugh

I was in Pueblo this time last year. It was cooler, but about 11' from the sun...I got a little burnt.
Ebby, I moved from the Texas coast (high humidity) to the Austin area (low humidity) and the move was worth it for that reason alone.
Posted By: KC Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11

Ebby:

You make a good point. Dry heat really is more tolerable than when it's hot and humid. I've always lived in the west (one area or another) where it's dry. When I travel east, the humidity is stifling to me even when it's not very hot.

KC

Posted By: gunner500 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
Had enough late frost to kill my plums for the year, then a month of tornadoes, now its a 100 degree's. no spring to speak of here in Okla.
I'm way past waiting for those fine frosty fall morning's.

Gunner
Posted By: olehunter Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
was once a walking postman,i knew the location of every outside faucet on my route. i feel for you all. however here in ne ks. we have had lots of rain [glad im on high ground] my butternut squash is 7 ft up on fence and along the ground . may need a machete to harvest.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
I worked on the feeder yesterday, loading it and spreading out protein feed for the deer. Despite taking breaks and resting, I'm pretty wiped out today. But I did at least see a few rains along I10 between Kerrville and Sonora.
Posted By: tx270 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/03/11
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Ebby, I moved from the Texas coast (high humidity) to the Austin area (low humidity) and the move was worth it for that reason alone.

While definitely not the coast, I wouldn't call the area you, pwdr and I live in a "low humidity" area. This year has been abnormal in that area for us.

Most summers here its MUCH more humid than this. In fact Central Texas has had several days of record low humidity this summer, but you never hear about that on the weather report. Thats one of the reasons for all the wildfires around here combined with the drought.

Bill
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/04/11
I just got back from my East Texas lease, Woodville area. Was planning on staying tonite, Not! It was 103F. at 1pm.

I set some new hog feeders, moved one ladder stand(did not set it up, too hot), and tried to do some scouting.

I don't even want to think about going to the Big Wells lease in this heat. May call the land owner and see if I can pay one of his hands to load and service the feeders.

Back in the A.C. now, all is cool.
Posted By: 300WinMag Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/07/11
powdr, I'm in what I call South Central Texas and the heat has been oppressive and the lack of rain depressing. I've taken to going to the gym rather than exercising outside. Call me a sissy but I'm a smart sissy. smile
Posted By: jmj Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/07/11
Central Alabama. Humidity is terrible. June was awful. 3 solid weeks of 98-102. With the humidity (heat index) we were 110-115. No rain. Dove field and summer deer plots are shot. Dead. Ground as hard as a rock.
Posted By: powdr Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/07/11
Any and all vegetation in and around central Texas is burnt to a crisp. I live in the country and there's getting to be bald spots in my yard where everything, including the weeds, has been killed. A tuff year for sure. Going to see a lot of acorn and freakish racks this fall. powdr
Posted By: Tom264 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/07/11
Thats a bummer....I'm sure there will be alot of busted up racks too.
Posted By: AndySpencer Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/10/11
I've heard of snow birds, is there such a thing as firebirds? my wife and I fantasize about a real fall and winter in the mountains....
Posted By: Texas99 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/11/11
"Scope", I live near Freeport (TX), but helped start up the DuPont PP plant at Wadsworth, near Matagorda, and have fished the surf in that area a lot. Our plant nurse when I was there was a native of Bay City, and he liked to say that while Matagorda was NOT the end of the world, you COULD see it from there!. I was down there looking around a few months ago to check out the new bridge over the ICW, and it's changed a lot from the mid 80's.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/11/11
The heat is another reason I won't live in Texas.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/11/11
Well, guys, you can't do anything about the weather. But there are a few things you can do to adapt to it. People do live and do hard work in such places.
It takes a minimum of two weeks for the body to adapt, longer in some cases. What happens is the body needs time to grow tiny blood vessels under the skin to release more body heat. That cuts down on fluid losses.
Until that happens, watch both your fluid intake and how much you pass. If you aren't urinating regularly, say every few hours, you probably aren't drinking enough fluids.
Some fluids take more from the body than they contribute. Coffe and alcoholic beverages are good examples.
At some point, you may need additional electrolytes, salts. Of these, potassium is more important than sodium. And healthier to consume. However, drinking things like Gato-Aide before you need to is a good way to loose those precious fluids the body needs to avoid heat exhaustion. Been there and done heat exhaustion many times.
Be especailly careful with heat exhaustion. If you develop it, you must stop, rest and consume both fluids and electrolytes to recover. Ignore this condition and you can develop Sun Stroke. SS must be treated with an IV or you can die from it. E
Posted By: Texas99 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/12/11
Lot's of good reasons to live in Texas. Great hunting, great fishing, nice people, and no state income tax, for starters. The heat can be a problem, but you can drive in it, unlike heavy snow, and there are jobs here.
Posted By: wareagle Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/12/11
Tell me bout heat. I work in a glass factory in Ga. Its been 100+ heat indexes for a month and the bottles on my machine are 900�. I drink about a gallon and half of water in 8 hours and never take a leak. You just sweat it all out.
And yes I love winter.....
Posted By: powdr Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/12/11
I saw on the news yesterday that a 10 state area will be setting record temperatures this week. 105-110 degrees and that is not heat index but the actual temperature. We are in for 108-110 degrees this whole week in central Texas. I can't even go outside in the early morning...late evening cause it's still hovering around 90 at sunrise and sunset! powdr
Posted By: Texas99 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/13/11
This mornings TV news showed extreme heat warnings - north and east of Texas. Texas was not included in that area - not to say it ain't gonna be hot here.
Posted By: scopey58 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/14/11
Yea we've had lots of 100+ days too. but what about rain? When is it going to rain??? Have had less than 1/4" so far this year....
John
Posted By: brinky72 Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/14/11
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
I've heard of snow birds, is there such a thing as firebirds? my wife and I fantasize about a real fall and winter in the mountains....

Laffin.... Head to the Keweenaw Peninsula in the U.P. of Michigan. If it isn't cool enough for ya jump into the lake (Superior)she don't get much more than 65 degrees during the hottest of years. Careful though because if you get farther than six feet down the water temp drops real quick. Not much on Mountains, some rolling hills though and you'll get plenty of winter. I've gone ice fishing before on Lake Superior where an ice auger with a 3 ft drill wasn't enough to punch through the ice.
Posted By: powdr Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/15/11
Well, so far we're living up to the forecast. 108 Monday, 108 Tuesday, and 108 today. We have our windows covered to keep as much heat out as possible but air conditioner still runs between 8 and 10 hours a day. I cannot be hot! powdr
Was only in the lower 70,s here the last couple days...wierd weather nowadays. Rained 8 of the past 9 days to boot.
Hope you all can get some relief soon.
Posted By: powdr Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/21/11
125 degrees heat index last Tuesday or Wednesday. No relief in sight. If we don't get rain soon alot of native vegetation will die. powdr
Posted By: Seafire Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/21/11
Jet stream....

temps in the Pacific NW have been running 20 degrees or cooler all summer....
Posted By: efw Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/21/11
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I think I will keep the occasional -30 degrees rather than 100+ for a couple months.

+1

I can handle the cold alright, but this heat drives me bonkers.
Posted By: powdr Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/21/11
If I was not married I would be moving to Colorado or Montana and staying for my retirement. After 59 years I HATE TEXAS SUMMERS! powdr
Posted By: efw Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/21/11
Ha ha... if I weren't married w/ children (& MIL) I'd move to the Smokies for 4 months during the fall/winter, and Alaska the rest of the year.

IF...
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/21/11
Aside from the liberal idiots who run this state, So Cal has been very nice lately. 75-80 w/NO humidity.

The midwest is melting uh??? LOL!

You can always hire Al Gore to attach a sprinkler system to his "private jet" and then sprinkle your area. LOL
Originally Posted by Seafire
Jet stream....

temps in the Pacific NW have been running 20 degrees or cooler all summer....

EL NINYOOO
Posted By: Karnis Re: OK...Enough is enough! - 07/22/11
It's so hot my cat Gizmo has taken to cooling his particulars under the ceiling fan. eek whistle

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire