Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
It has been 103-110 degrees so far every day but about four this summer. We have just started the 4th of July weekend and it is supposed to be 105-107 for the next week. One day is however only suppose to be 99.This is three of these hotter 'n Hell summers in a row here in Texas.

We have a large bucket on our back deck for the critters to drink from. Three days ago my wife went out early and found a grown doe drinking from the community water.Scared her and the doe so bad they both slipped down trying to escape one another. This is ridiculous! We won't get any relief until about the 3rd week of October...if then. People dying everyday.
powdr

Last edited by powdr; 07/02/11.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have some friends down that way and don't know how they tolerate it. I think we might have made 80 degrees for the first time this summer here.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think I will keep the occasional -30 degrees rather than 100+ for a couple months.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

powdr:

I lived in Phoenix for five years, in the '70s. Those kind of temps were standard in the summer. One summer I worked as a landscape laborer; shoveling gravel and mulch, digging holes to plant trees and shrubs, laying sod, digging trenches for sprinkler systems, etc. Another summer I worked as a roofer. Try mopping hot tar on a black roof when the temp is hovering around 110�F. I remember that we could count on a few days each summer when temps were in the 115�-120� range. Of course I was young a strong and I could take it all in stride. Working that hard in those temps would probably kill me now. We always had two Igloo coolers filled with ice water. One was for drinking and we would soak out "T" shirts in the other one. We would put on the wet "T" shirts and they water would evaporate cooling us a little for maybe ten minutes. I learned that the Mexican tradition of siesta makes a lot of sense.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This heat has been ridiculous. The summer started off abnormally cool and then immediately went to 102*.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes and only marginal,scattered rainfall. Not even enough to keep the Johnson grass green. I've had a list of things I need to do for over a month but my Dr. has me home bound till at least a little cooler weather shows up. Really guys, this is one of the worst summers I've seen in my 59yrs. So hot when you open the door it feels like your opening an oven set to 450 degrees. We've got three more months of it...might as well grin and bear it. powdr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From what I've seen on the fire information website it appears that Texas has a bunch of small fires burning too. Look for some good grass as soon as you get some rain.

From a hunting point of view I love to see the fires. As for the heat, been dealing with it for years. I'm tired of the heat, Arizona desert, but can't move for a few more years yet. When I do move I'll move someplace where snow is the normal and I'll be praying for heat.

Biker

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Heat wave here too at 7600 feet. Went all the way to 87 this week. laugh

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't come to Mississippi! We have getting scorched here lately as well. Temps have been in the 95-101 range but the humidity has been 50-70%. It's been intolerable.

I was in Scottsdale 2 weeks ago and the temps were 110F with 5-10% humidity. We hiked and ran and climbed Camelback and felt much better than what we have here.

As a matter of fact, we have even considered moving out there it was so much more comfortable.

Lee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Heat wave here too at 7600 feet. Went all the way to 87 this week. laugh

I was in Pueblo this time last year. It was cooler, but about 11' from the sun...I got a little burnt.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ebby, I moved from the Texas coast (high humidity) to the Austin area (low humidity) and the move was worth it for that reason alone.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ebby:

You make a good point. Dry heat really is more tolerable than when it's hot and humid. I've always lived in the west (one area or another) where it's dry. When I travel east, the humidity is stifling to me even when it's not very hot.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Had enough late frost to kill my plums for the year, then a month of tornadoes, now its a 100 degree's. no spring to speak of here in Okla.
I'm way past waiting for those fine frosty fall morning's.

Gunner

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
was once a walking postman,i knew the location of every outside faucet on my route. i feel for you all. however here in ne ks. we have had lots of rain [glad im on high ground] my butternut squash is 7 ft up on fence and along the ground . may need a machete to harvest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked on the feeder yesterday, loading it and spreading out protein feed for the deer. Despite taking breaks and resting, I'm pretty wiped out today. But I did at least see a few rains along I10 between Kerrville and Sonora.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Ebby, I moved from the Texas coast (high humidity) to the Austin area (low humidity) and the move was worth it for that reason alone.

While definitely not the coast, I wouldn't call the area you, pwdr and I live in a "low humidity" area. This year has been abnormal in that area for us.

Most summers here its MUCH more humid than this. In fact Central Texas has had several days of record low humidity this summer, but you never hear about that on the weather report. Thats one of the reasons for all the wildfires around here combined with the drought.

Bill

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got back from my East Texas lease, Woodville area. Was planning on staying tonite, Not! It was 103F. at 1pm.

I set some new hog feeders, moved one ladder stand(did not set it up, too hot), and tried to do some scouting.

I don't even want to think about going to the Big Wells lease in this heat. May call the land owner and see if I can pay one of his hands to load and service the feeders.

Back in the A.C. now, all is cool.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
powdr, I'm in what I call South Central Texas and the heat has been oppressive and the lack of rain depressing. I've taken to going to the gym rather than exercising outside. Call me a sissy but I'm a smart sissy. smile

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Central Alabama. Humidity is terrible. June was awful. 3 solid weeks of 98-102. With the humidity (heat index) we were 110-115. No rain. Dove field and summer deer plots are shot. Dead. Ground as hard as a rock.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Any and all vegetation in and around central Texas is burnt to a crisp. I live in the country and there's getting to be bald spots in my yard where everything, including the weeds, has been killed. A tuff year for sure. Going to see a lot of acorn and freakish racks this fall. powdr

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 160user, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 35 invisible), 12,026 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,236
Posts18,544,217
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.