Home
This guy is slick, and good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw
Posted By: 1234 Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 03/18/12
wow that is one to look at a few times!!!!!!

Ed
Holy Smoke! This is the guy you want to come over on meat cutting night! I have cut and packaged our game over 50 years but now feel inept and stupid. Of course, perhaps I am inept and stupid, but I am going to watch this video carefully over and over.
Posted By: Cecil Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 03/18/12
It takes me a few hours to do that same thing..LOL
Damn, that guys nickname should be "Buzzard". Really impressive
i want to get one of those meat hooks. and the skills to do that.
Originally Posted by Cecil
It takes me a few hours to do that same thing..LOL

Yah, same here. I figured 'fire members would appreciate seeing somebody with real meat-cutting skills doing a job that most of us labor over.
That was impressive. If I went that fast i'd cut my arm off.

I like the way he took all the rib, neck and backstraps off in one piece.

I agree the hook makes it easier. I need to get one. Maybe I won't get so many cuts if I do.

I'm thinking he was a butcher.
Posted By: AJD Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 03/19/12
To me, it looks like he is good with a really good and sharpe filet knife. Any fisherman along the coast worth his salt knows how to use one.
Posted By: 30338 Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 03/19/12
Going to watch that one a few times. That guy is really good.
Uh...he's done that once or twice before..!

I've been planning on getting me a couple hooks before next deer season rolls around.

[b][color:#3333FF]This place sells a bunch of different styles of hooks[/color][/b] if anybody is interested...don't know anything about the place.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Uh...he's done that once or twice before..!

I've been planning on getting me a couple hooks before next deer season rolls around.

[b][color:#3333FF]This place sells a bunch of different styles of hooks[/color][/b] if anybody is interested...don't know anything about the place.

Cheap enough to speed up the process and keep from getting cut.
Wow, awesome.....
I'd be minus a few fingers going that fast! eek
If you actually look at a deer closely, it's not hard to see how to make the correct cuts to get the animal to just come apart without much effort. Took me about 20x of boning on the side of a mountain for me, the kids, and pards, but now I can get one apart rather quickly, with no meat wasted. It's all about a sharp knife and making the correct cuts the first time.
My problem is that I do it different everytime. You can tell this guy keeps the same system and uses the same motion from deer to deer.
Originally Posted by Chrome
My problem is that I do it different everytime. You can tell this guy keeps the same system and uses the same motion from deer to deer.

We have the same problem. When you only do something once a year. You sort of forget exactly how you did it.
no biggee. You know, with a good sharp knife and meat hook I could easily..... want to call that guy up to do it for me.
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

We have the same problem. When you only do something once a year. You sort of forget exactly how you did it.

You don't kill very many animals, do you?
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I do, but I have no memory. I'm old.

I only get to kill one deer, and one elk a year here.
That guy is good I think I'll let him do mine. smile
Dang,I need to get my butt in gear next time I have to do one.That guy is good and he does it right too.

Funny how the guy that only kills 2 head of big game a year thinks he knows more about minimum cartridges and hunting techniques than some of the folks on here who hunt for a living.
Crazy good skills.

I wonder how many deer he has practiced on, I also would like to know about his knives and sharpening techniques..

Funny how the guy that only kills 2 head of big game a year thinks he knows more about minimum cartridges and hunting techniques than some of the folks on here who hunt for a living.

Are we back to the .223 for elk again? I think i've been hunting long enough to have an opinion. Maybe you're a slow learner.
You're entitled to your own opinion, though it's typically wrong.
You're entitled to your own opinion, though it's typically wrong.

Tell me where i'm wrong so I can learn.

You know what they say about old dogs.
Posted By: DJTex Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 03/21/12
WOW!

He turns boning a deer into a cardio workout.

I'm humbled...

DJ
Hats off to him.
That's just good clean fun right there... I enjoy watching a master at work- complete and total efficiency.
Yea,me also.Damn.

Unbelieveable. Not only did he do it fast but was very efficient and left practicaly nothing but bones. wonder what kind of knife he was using? definately not one of my fillet knives. I'm speachless.

This will be one of my watched topics so I can come back and reference it for my next butcher job.
Don't know why the deer was gutted. Just quarter the thing and do the same cuts. Saves a lot of time.
Posted By: JonS Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 03/25/12
I have been doing the same technique for years, if you want to watch it in action, come out to CO during ML season this year, if you will carry more than 1/2 of my stuff in, I will let you watch me in action, and then I will gladly share some of the meat you pack out for me once we're done.
I have always noticed that time goes so much faster in the butcher shop, that same technique in the field seems to take over an hour, but it must be the pure enjoyment of it in the natural realm.
smile
Happy hunting to all
That was damn slick.
i've seen it before but always very impressive
That dude should sell knives....
He's the man!
Originally Posted by jdm953
Yea,me also.Damn.

I'm the same, fixing my car/truck. By the time a part fails It has been such a long time since I repaired that part, I am pretty slow at it.
deer was gutted because it should be done as soon after killing it as possible.anyone who butchers deer everyday like this guy could get that fast.
Getting it off the bone is not the time consuming part. It is Separating each muscle and getting the silver skin off, plus any stray hair and blood shot parts. I am choosy about what I put in the freezer, so I take a lot of time and care with my meat. I put muscles up whole or in large chunks and make steaks or stew meat when it is used. miles
One important thing about this kind of speed is he knows EXACTLY how the bones & muscles lie in the body. He can hit the right spot every time instead of messing around figuring out which way the bone goes. The only way to learn that is experience which 95% of us don't get enough of.
I would be bleeding from head to toe....

W
"There you go, it's that easy"

lol yeah, right lol
Posted By: kawi Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 04/01/12
8 min Pirift ever hit and had them hang up on a well traveld road? Get,gut,skin,bone and maybe cook if you run strait pipes.Never have seen an 8 min half mile.grin
have a friend that skinned for a 3 cutters and he can skin,remove the lower legs,and head and hang on the track ready to cut in 5-6 min!!! He has said '"Practice on 500-600 a yr and you get to know what works!!" Clint
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One important thing about this kind of speed is he knows EXACTLY how the bones & muscles lie in the body. He can hit the right spot every time instead of messing around figuring out which way the bone goes. The only way to learn that is experience which 95% of us don't get enough of.

You're absolutely correct.
Posted By: Hugh Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 04/09/12
very slick
That's a great link. Thanks!

ddj
Posted By: piero Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 04/10/12
WOW, this reminds me of the last (and first) deer iv'e seen butchered. He took about four hours to complete the job, and that was just gutting, skinning, and quartering! Took us another two to process it.
Originally Posted by spencer516
Don't know why the deer was gutted. Just quarter the thing and do the same cuts. Saves a lot of time.
I've heard about guys not gutting deer, but I've always wondered how you extract the fillets from inside the rib cage without gutting the deer?
That guy is good. One of the guys from our fishing club was a butcher, and I learned a lot from him about boning and butchering deer. I'll never be nearly as fast as the guy in the video though. My best takeaways were that he's using what appears to be a fillet knife-I always have used a little heavier blade than that. I like the meat hook too-looks like it makes it easier for him to control the meat, and working as fast as he does, cuts down on the risk of cuts. 'Looks like he's got a little bigger work area than I use too. My cutting table is an old 6 foot formica topped lab table out of the optical lab I worked in. i might need to come up with a little bigger work space. Also, I've always done my de-boning with the carcass hanging head up-start at the bottom and work my way up. Might have to try his method and see what I think.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I've heard about guys not gutting deer, but I've always wondered how you extract the fillets from inside the rib cage without gutting the deer?

Here's one method, they go in behind the ribs underneath and cut forward, doesn't show if they flip the carcass over for the other side, so I assume they do as the last cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA

I haven't tried this method, but I could see it being useful in the Northwest back country.
I've used the gutless method since the 80's when I started to hunt alone after my dad passed away. It's way easier when you're alone.

That's why i'll never come close to being fast. I bone it out in the field where the animal drops. No way I can move it to a better spot.
He's a butcher, and a big plus is he has the animal in the shop on a table. It's alittle different when you are side hill, miles from camp, boning it out to pack in. I forget the cuts, then I'm worried about keeping the deer out of the dirt, etc, minimizing hair getting on the meat, etc. I would like to know what knife he is using and what he uses to sharpen it with.

Nice video.....
Originally Posted by AggieDog
He's a butcher, and a big plus is he has the animal in the shop on a table. It's alittle different when you are side hill, miles from camp, boning it out to pack in. I forget the cuts, then I'm worried about keeping the deer out of the dirt, etc, minimizing hair getting on the meat, etc. I would like to know what knife he is using and what he uses to sharpen it with.

Nice video.....

I can relate to that.....
Originally Posted by AggieDog

Nice video.....
I noticed what looked like a sharpening rod laying on the table he was working on. I'm guessing he uses that to touch up the blade during cutting, but sharpens the knife mainly by some other method.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Here's one method, they go in behind the ribs underneath and cut forward, doesn't show if they flip the carcass over for the other side, so I assume they do as the last cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA

I haven't tried this method, but I could see it being useful in the Northwest back country.
Thanks for the video link. I can see why one would go gutless in the back country, especially on a bigger animal like an elk. I've never taken an elk, and don't bone out my deer in the woods, so gutting them where they fall works for me, I guess.
that guy is goooood!
Posted By: jt402 Re: De-bone a deer in 8 minutes. - 04/17/12
I know just enough about this subject to be dangerous. The knife appears to be a "boning" knife. Sold at cutlery and kitchen shops. My kitchen/butcher knives are German made Henckels' Professionals. They are good but there are likely better. Butchers that I have known , sharpen with stones, usually at two fine/finer grits, once the initial edge has been established with a medium stone. The steel is useful for truing the edge. My knifes are stainless. I have Mom's and Dad's carbon knifes from a long time ago, brands unknown, that are inexpensive working knifes and the boning knife gets scary sharp with just a little touch up.

It doesn't take me hours to bone a deer, but this guy is a pro and a good one at that. I admire skilled workers from most any field. The mistake most of us make is trying to do the job on a mountain/hill side with our trusty hunting knife. It will work, but it is not the best choice of a tool. I try to remember to put a boning knife in the backpack just in case. I generally bone out at camp or at home, but occasionally that is not a good choice. Best wishes, jack
Great video. I wounder how many times he been cut getting to that speed.
Meticulous to say the very least!
Great video!! My question is how many of you after watching it clicked on the girl in the hot white shorts to the right? I know I did! Another awesome video!!
© 24hourcampfire