-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting it off the bone is not the time consuming part. It is Separating each muscle and getting the silver skin off, plus any stray hair and blood shot parts. I am choosy about what I put in the freezer, so I take a lot of time and care with my meat. I put muscles up whole or in large chunks and make steaks or stew meat when it is used. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One important thing about this kind of speed is he knows EXACTLY how the bones & muscles lie in the body. He can hit the right spot every time instead of messing around figuring out which way the bone goes. The only way to learn that is experience which 95% of us don't get enough of.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would be bleeding from head to toe....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"There you go, it's that easy"

lol yeah, right lol

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
8 min Pirift ever hit and had them hang up on a well traveld road? Get,gut,skin,bone and maybe cook if you run strait pipes.Never have seen an 8 min half mile.grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
have a friend that skinned for a 3 cutters and he can skin,remove the lower legs,and head and hang on the track ready to cut in 5-6 min!!! He has said '"Practice on 500-600 a yr and you get to know what works!!" Clint

just for Fun
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One important thing about this kind of speed is he knows EXACTLY how the bones & muscles lie in the body. He can hit the right spot every time instead of messing around figuring out which way the bone goes. The only way to learn that is experience which 95% of us don't get enough of.

You're absolutely correct.

Last edited by johnfox; 04/05/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
very slick

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a great link. Thanks!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WOW, this reminds me of the last (and first) deer iv'e seen butchered. He took about four hours to complete the job, and that was just gutting, skinning, and quartering! Took us another two to process it.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by spencer516
Don't know why the deer was gutted. Just quarter the thing and do the same cuts. Saves a lot of time.
I've heard about guys not gutting deer, but I've always wondered how you extract the fillets from inside the rib cage without gutting the deer?

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That guy is good. One of the guys from our fishing club was a butcher, and I learned a lot from him about boning and butchering deer. I'll never be nearly as fast as the guy in the video though. My best takeaways were that he's using what appears to be a fillet knife-I always have used a little heavier blade than that. I like the meat hook too-looks like it makes it easier for him to control the meat, and working as fast as he does, cuts down on the risk of cuts. 'Looks like he's got a little bigger work area than I use too. My cutting table is an old 6 foot formica topped lab table out of the optical lab I worked in. i might need to come up with a little bigger work space. Also, I've always done my de-boning with the carcass hanging head up-start at the bottom and work my way up. Might have to try his method and see what I think.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Don't know why the deer was gutted. Just quarter the thing and do the same cuts. Saves a lot of time.
I've heard about guys not gutting deer, but I've always wondered how you extract the fillets from inside the rib cage without gutting the deer?

Here's one method, they go in behind the ribs underneath and cut forward, doesn't show if they flip the carcass over for the other side, so I assume they do as the last cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA

I haven't tried this method, but I could see it being useful in the Northwest back country.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/16/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used the gutless method since the 80's when I started to hunt alone after my dad passed away. It's way easier when you're alone.

That's why i'll never come close to being fast. I bone it out in the field where the animal drops. No way I can move it to a better spot.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's a butcher, and a big plus is he has the animal in the shop on a table. It's alittle different when you are side hill, miles from camp, boning it out to pack in. I forget the cuts, then I'm worried about keeping the deer out of the dirt, etc, minimizing hair getting on the meat, etc. I would like to know what knife he is using and what he uses to sharpen it with.

Nice video.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AggieDog
He's a butcher, and a big plus is he has the animal in the shop on a table. It's alittle different when you are side hill, miles from camp, boning it out to pack in. I forget the cuts, then I'm worried about keeping the deer out of the dirt, etc, minimizing hair getting on the meat, etc. I would like to know what knife he is using and what he uses to sharpen it with.

Nice video.....

I can relate to that.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AggieDog

Nice video.....
I noticed what looked like a sharpening rod laying on the table he was working on. I'm guessing he uses that to touch up the blade during cutting, but sharpens the knife mainly by some other method.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Here's one method, they go in behind the ribs underneath and cut forward, doesn't show if they flip the carcass over for the other side, so I assume they do as the last cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA

I haven't tried this method, but I could see it being useful in the Northwest back country.
Thanks for the video link. I can see why one would go gutless in the back country, especially on a bigger animal like an elk. I've never taken an elk, and don't bone out my deer in the woods, so gutting them where they fall works for me, I guess.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that guy is goooood!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know just enough about this subject to be dangerous. The knife appears to be a "boning" knife. Sold at cutlery and kitchen shops. My kitchen/butcher knives are German made Henckels' Professionals. They are good but there are likely better. Butchers that I have known , sharpen with stones, usually at two fine/finer grits, once the initial edge has been established with a medium stone. The steel is useful for truing the edge. My knifes are stainless. I have Mom's and Dad's carbon knifes from a long time ago, brands unknown, that are inexpensive working knifes and the boning knife gets scary sharp with just a little touch up.

It doesn't take me hours to bone a deer, but this guy is a pro and a good one at that. I admire skilled workers from most any field. The mistake most of us make is trying to do the job on a mountain/hill side with our trusty hunting knife. It will work, but it is not the best choice of a tool. I try to remember to put a boning knife in the backpack just in case. I generally bone out at camp or at home, but occasionally that is not a good choice. Best wishes, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.