Home
Monday after Thanksgiving, the orange army invades the hills, hollers, and field of Pennsylvania as deer season opens. I can't wait to hit the woods. Good luck to all the men and women headed out in search of the Turdy Point Buck. We got a call from one of the locals up by our camp last week telling us they are occasionally seeing elk in our area now, as the herd expands and moves west. Man, it would be cool to see one.
Yes Sir, this will be my last year as a PA resident, moving to FL in January, then I will be one of those non-resident goofs who comes back every year.

Good luck all and stay safe.
I'm headed back. I'll be hunting just across the state line in Ohio.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm headed back. I'll be hunting just across the state line in Ohio.
Where at Bob? I'm originally from the Youngstown area.
I was getting the gear out tonight. Talked to Dad, the neighbor got a nice 8 point with the crossbow and also saw a good 6 point and a 10 in the area.

Got some Thanksgiving traveling lined up but the good Lord willing, I'll be out there next Monday morning.

The ground is white here in Somerset, probably won't last but one can hope.

Dale
Are we going to match up Dale, or is the itinerary filled?
I grew up just outside Pittsburgh in the early 70's. We use to hunt in Bedford County back then. My brother now lives in Ohio, we hunt in Belmont County, Ohio. He has a cabin at Piedmont Reservoir near Freeport. I kind of like hunting with my 870 using rifled slugs.
I grew up just outside Pittsburgh in the early 70's. We use to hunt in Bedford County back then. My brother now lives in Ohio, we hunt in Belmont County, Ohio. He has a cabin at Piedmont Reservoir near Freeport. I kind of like hunting with my 870 using rifled slugs.
Slingin' those flying ashtrays huh? Lots of fun, but not on the shooter's shoulder.
LOL--I have my brother check it at the range before season. I fly in from Colorado & only pull the trigger at a deer. It doesn't kick at all for me. Bob

good luck guys. I had the wind taken a bit out of my sails Friday when I got home and found these two in my pond locked together.

I've been hunting that big one for 3 years. and have had him within bow rage 4 times, just couldn't get him to clear. I'll admit to crying when I saw him

however we were able to purchase the racks from the almighty overlords of the PGC and he is getting mounted

[Linked Image]
LOL--I have my brother check it at the range before season. I fly in from Colorado & only pull the trigger at a deer. It doesn't kick at all for me. Bob
Smart man! I always shot the shotgun last. I've switched over from a 12 ga. 870 with rifled slugs to a little Mossy 500 with a rifled barrel and sabots. World of difference on the recoil.
I'll be carrying my dad's Savage 99. It's my brother's gun now, but he never carries it. He's got a 788 chambered for 6 mm that's lights out on whitetails. I still holding out hope that he hands the 99 down to me some day. Man, Dad shot a lot of deer with that gun.
I killed my 1st deer with a 300 Savage 99. That was back in 1971. It was my Uncle's rifle, plan on getting it back from my nephew one of these days.
Good luck all! Ill be headin to camp friday. Havent been up since spring gobbler, Lyme has been kickin my ass. But dad got a new double wide in to replace the old trailer so itll be like a new camp to me. Dont have much stamina, so ill be drivin a couple mile back an old loggin road and sittin my ass on a saddle watchin about 50yrds each way. Have one of them foldin chairs so ill just sit and relax. Got 2 there in recent yrs so maybe another will show up. If the 6mm barks ill cover him up and go for help, cant drag it myself any more. Gods been good, long as I can get out there, I will. Bring home a big one guys!
Flight's out tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. Dinner at my sis's house tomorrow, pick up the rental car first thing Friday, should be at camp by 1 p.m. Really feeling the call to return to my roots and get back on the hill again. Sure wish dad and the other members of the Old Guard were there to enjoy it with me. Rest in Peace, guys.
Sorry to hear about your Lyme trouble. I've pulled two of the little beggars off me in the last couple of years, but have been lucky (knock on wood) so far. My vet came down with that meat allergy from a Lone Star tick. No red meat until it clears out of his system!

Chair hunting can be good too. I watched two bucks chasing a doe from my chair Monday afternoon and it was a hoot, even though I couldn't shoot. Another guy hunting the property missed one of the bucks which was even better!

Good luck.
Originally Posted by pahick
Good luck all! Ill be headin to camp friday. Havent been up since spring gobbler, Lyme has been kickin my ass. But dad got a new double wide in to replace the old trailer so itll be like a new camp to me. Dont have much stamina, so ill be drivin a couple mile back an old loggin road and sittin my ass on a saddle watchin about 50yrds each way. Have one of them foldin chairs so ill just sit and relax. Got 2 there in recent yrs so maybe another will show up. If the 6mm barks ill cover him up and go for help, cant drag it myself any more. Gods been good, long as I can get out there, I will. Bring home a big one guys!
That dang Lyme is pretty bad. Got it myself this year. Taking a loooong time. Tired all the time. Good luck out there!
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Flight's out tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. Dinner at my sis's house tomorrow, pick up the rental car first thing Friday, should be at camp by 1 p.m. Really feeling the call to return to my roots and get back on the hill again. Sure wish dad and the other members of the Old Guard were there to enjoy it with me. Rest in Peace, guys.

Your excitement is contagious gopher! Reminds me when I was a boy, most kids couldnt sleep before christmas, I couldnt sleep before buck season. Even when I was in the military I would save my entire years worth of leave to come home for the month of December. I would hunt the 2nd week and stay for Christmas, usually flying out the day after. A few times I was deployed and couldnt make it, but oh'well, was the only times I missed it.

Im not sure why I get so amped up, I dont think Ive ever seen a buck the first day. I always have better success, once the pressure goes down and/or the deer wise up and get in the thick stuff. This year I have mixed feelings as I am moving away in January. I am bummed about possibly missing future hunting seasons but excited about the prospects of the move.

Good luck to you, IIRC you didnt make it back last year, just means the big one had another year to grow, shoot straight and good luck.
Good luck to all.. I'll be in 2B with the Savage 220.
Originally Posted by TomM1

Your excitement is contagious gopher! Reminds me when I was a boy, most kids couldnt sleep before christmas, I couldnt sleep before buck season. Even when I was in the military I would save my entire years worth of leave to come home for the month of December. I would hunt the 2nd week and stay for Christmas, usually flying out the day after. A few times I was deployed and couldnt make it, but oh'well, was the only times I missed it.

Im not sure why I get so amped up, I dont think Ive ever seen a buck the first day. I always have better success, once the pressure goes down and/or the deer wise up and get in the thick stuff. This year I have mixed feelings as I am moving away in January. I am bummed about possibly missing future hunting seasons but excited about the prospects of the move.

Good luck to you, IIRC you didnt make it back last year, just means the big one had another year to grow, shoot straight and good luck.
Yeah, I missed last year. Even with owning my own camp, it's still not a cheap trip, at least for me. Camp's different these days. The guys across the trail from us have passed on or hung up the guns now. Really a shame. They were a great bunch of guys, and the last men around that knew my dad and our other members. I loved to sit over there with them and hear the stories. The camp sold a few years ago. The new guy is really nice, but it's just not the same. The old hillbilly that used to come up and visit with us, share meals, and swap stories died this year. The mountain is a different place. Lots of camps sit empty. Iconic names like Camp Misery, Bear's Den, and the Flying Dutchmen. The buildings are still there, but the men are all gone. There were 9 camps on our trail at one time, and a bus camper. It's down to 4 now. What a shame. So many kids just never took up hunting. Some of the kids from the across the trail built their own camp down by Clarion. They do pretty good down there. Sure do miss the big get togethers, the card games, the good natured ribbing. Helping each other track deer, and drag them in. It's definite a different experience nowadays.
I live at the foothills of SGL 13 and 57. The small towns at the bottom of the mountain used to become boom town's during hunting season (both bear and deer). There was a couple good restaurant/bars whose taxidermy decor would give a cabelas a good run per sq ft. We used to go for car rides around the camps on Sunday to see some of the deer hanging.

Now some of the camps have deteriorated, some kept up, and some turned into full time homes. One restaurant closed, the other is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Of the camps that remain for hunting, I see more trucks there during the last week in archery than in rifle season I think. There is still some bear driving that goes on, but for deer rifle season, you get some sitters for the first two days, then maybe the first Saturday, than thats it. It seems Buck-rifle inst the event it used to be, but still a pretty special day to me.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, just annotating how its changed.
I'm double excited this year. First because I'm heading to PA tomorrow to hunt for two weeks and second because it looks like I'm going to be moving back permanently by the end of December.
I live at the foothills of SGL 13 and 57. The small towns at the bottom of the mountain used to become boom town's during hunting season (both bear and deer). There was a couple good restaurant/bars whose taxidermy decor would give a cabelas a good run per sq ft. We used to go for car rides around the camps on Sunday to see some of the deer hanging.

Now some of the camps have deteriorated, some kept up, and some turned into full time homes. One restaurant closed, the other is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Of the camps that remain for hunting, I see more trucks there during the last week in archery than in rifle season I think. There is still some bear driving that goes on, but for deer rifle season, you get some sitters for the first two days, then maybe the first Saturday, than thats it. It seems Buck-rifle inst the event it used to be, but still a pretty special day to me.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, just annotating how its changed.

There is still some spectacular pheseant hunting there though
Yes, absolutely! Its hard for me to sit in a tree come Oct when I know I could be chasing pheasants.
Leaving for the airport in about 20 minutes here. Staying with my sis in Youngstown tonight. Should be in camp by 1 p.m. tomorrow. Can't wait to get started. Best wishes for good weather, good luck, and safe hunting. Make some great memories guys. There's just nothing like deer camp.
Good luck, be safe, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Heading 2 hrs north to my cousins farm in Potter Co tomorrow, to hopefully settle the score with a crafty buck that out smarted me numerous time in archery.
Armstrong----

Been two years since I've been able to return to these spots.
Looking forward to it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Everyone must be at camp!
Ill be up on the "Crick hill" between Georgeville and Smicksburg. 36th year now. Good luck all.
Good luck to you Otter, keep the tradition going.
Good luck to you as well.
Will be with efw and gophergunner in camp. Hope to fill a tag and figure out the out of state rifle game for the first time
Hunting the Northeast here. Looks like it's going to be a rainy first week.
Very best of luck to all of you folks.. We will not be making the trip to Pa. this fall.. 2nd year in a row.. Will be in Az. chasing doves, quail and coyotes.. Maybe next year!! Be careful and shoot straight..
I'm driving down to hunt state game lands 035 in Hallstead. Anyone ever deer hunt there? I am curious about how much pressure it's gonna get.
Don't know about the pressure, but it will be gone by Tuesday and at 10,000 acres you should be able to get away form it. Looks like it has some spots that are steep.

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm?usetopo=1&lat=41.933412&lon=-75.6996303
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Will be with efw and gophergunner in camp. Hope to fill a tag and figure out the out of state rifle game for the first time

I caught up with gophergunner for breakfast and a BS session this morning. Had to leave for home before these guys got to DuBois but I'm planning to get to camp and say hello.

On the bright side, leaving early allowed me to catch the end of the OSU/Michigan game and all of the PSU/Michigan State game. GO PSU!

Dale
Good luck and a safe hunt wish for all.

My Mom and Step Dad are down here for Thanksgiving, from Fayette County. His phone has been ringing all day with his buddies calling to discuss the start of season. There are certainly some rabid deer hunters up there. I hope you boys have a great season! Find a kid to take hunting and keep that great tradition going.
Likewise Battue. Shoot a big one.
I have a tree stand on Mount Nittany range probably 6 miles from he PSU stadium. Meeting up at 4:30 in the woods for the climb to the top. Classic PA mountain top, laurel, limestone, and oak. Glad I can still make the climb, and the wisdom that dragging one down is a big decision. Good luck guys.
Heading out with my 2 13year olds tomorrow. My dad has to work until about 11 then he will be joining us.

Good luck to all and be safe.
Going to work tomorrow as I tagged my buck the last day of archery. Good luck to you guys with the rifle tomorrow. Still have a doe tag to fill but can't till Saturday.
Made it back to DuBois and just got back from a couple hour visit with gophergunner, efw, njbgalt, and the rest of the crew at camp.

Good time and like most BS sessions at camp, the first liar never had a chance.

Good Luck to anyone who is still up and reading this.

Dale
Good luck everyone and be safe!
Watching the game and sipping some winter pear wine then off to bed.
Good Luck to All !
This is my 3rd year that I am not hunting Pa.
Sure miss 3A land.
7 Doe, 1 Fox, 1 Squirrel and 1 Field Mouse. No horned creatures to be found. Did blind another with my headlamp going in, not sure which flavor it was. Beautiful day though, tomorrow, not so much...
Took my best buck ever this morning. Nice 8 in the upper 130s.
Will have pics and story later
Huge bodied deer slipped by me as I was walking in. 2 doe about 9. I was hoping that big bodied deer would come back out, unfortunately some guys drove the cut out just before dark and pushed it out the other side. Ran by em on the way out and they said it had a nice rack but none could get a shot. Bout pisses me off, but hey, its public land huntin. I know where he went so ill see if I can get after him tomorrow.
I saw two buck. One was a sub legal forkhorn and one was a boss of a buck trucking across a field 200 yards from me.
Hunted on my Cousins farm with him first day. Saw a dandy, but insisted he have fist go and it didn't work out. Couple others not yet legal passed by.

Ran into about 20 of these.

Off to the woods tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
Only saw 3 does today, buddy saw dozen deer by noon including 2 bucks but no shots for him. Same farm, just different sides of the road. Go figure.

Dale
Hunted Luzerne County today. Saw 4 does around 10, but that was it. Shooting was very, very light. Maybe 5-6 shots between sunrise and 11am.
Light drizzle, 39 degrees and in a bunch of pain, but just about to walk in nonetheless. 6 miles drive, another 5 miles on a loggin rd, only saw 2 vehicles. Hopefully what little pressure they put on em is done now. Most will go home today. Should get better from here on out if I can hang in there. Good luck guys!
PA dudes only hunt one day? Really? all the hype and they head home after opening day?

I love the woods and the hunt to much for that! Good luck to you guys staying out in the field.
Originally Posted by tzone
PA dudes only hunt one day? Really? all the hype and they head home after opening day?

I love the woods and the hunt to much for that! Good luck to you guys staying out in the field.

I used to hunt 2 weeks, but since I got Lyme only a week. None of the camps near us stay past wednesday. With the rain, id bet when I get back to camp we are the only ones left, except maybe my cousin, or my uncles. They definitely go home wed. Woods are completely dead, havent heard a shot all morning. Had a yearling 10 ft from me, but thats it. I cant get around like I used to, so ill be waiting em out.

But again, ya most people hunt a day or two and done.
Got this one at 7:30 Monday morning. First deer I saw!

[Linked Image]

Congratulations to those that got one as well and good luck to everyone who's still giving it he!!.
Doug
Nice buck 200!!

t, the guys are right after the first day, Monday, things are pretty quiet.. Until the Saturdays.. I retired in 1999 and hunted there pretty often, not very year, but most.. I hunted every day.. Things were dead during the week, but it made hunting great because the deer calmed down.. Miss it, maybe next year..

Pa, sorry to hear about the Lymes.. That has ruined the Pa hunting for me..
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by tzone

I used to hunt 2 weeks, but since I got Lyme only a week. None of the camps near us stay past wednesday. With the rain, id bet when I get back to camp we are the only ones left, except maybe my cousin, or my uncles. They definitely go home wed. Woods are completely dead, havent heard a shot all morning. Had a yearling 10 ft from me, but thats it. I cant get around like I used to, so ill be waiting em out.

But again, ya most people hunt a day or two and done.

I don't mean you specifically but damn... that's a lot of hype for a two day blast. In that case, I'd stay out of the woods til Tuesday.
Got up this morning and felt like crap (coming down with something I guess) plus it was windy as hell and raining. Went back to bed, got up around 9 and hit the woods for a 4 hour stroll. No deer or hunters seen. I did hear 20 or so shots while I was out so somebody was in the woods besides me.

Work calls, so I came home late this afternoon but will be back to the farm on Friday afternoon and Saturday.

Dale
We won't all be quitting on Tues....

Saw 10 today. Hot....60degress hot. Bounced all but two out of their bed. Not much moving till dark and saw 5 more on the two track on the way out.

Fog coming up the hills.

[Linked Image]

These are like dandelions in the spring. Along with acorns which are everywhere.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I worked this morning and hunted the afternoon, saw 6, 5 were doe, light had expired when the 6th one came out. Busted a bunch out walking back to the truck.

Going to do our annual ritual of driving some small swamps with a buddy tomorrow morning. Bear is back in for our area as well. We'll see.
I was fortunate to kill a buck Monday. Tioga County (3A) 8pt with the NULA .243 at about 225-240 yards. Oh yea, Barnes 80gr TTSX bullet.

I hadn't killed a buck there since 2012......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Best of luck.. This is almost like being there!!!
damn your ugly larry.

nice buck
Originally Posted by rockchucker
damn your ugly larry.

nice buck

How'd you spot this so quick?????? smile
was just here
I was able to connect with this PA mountain buck Monday morning -- a healthy looking 8 pt, 120 lbs. I was hunting in Potter Country (3A). I was stationed in a bowl at the top of the mountain that turns into a steep ravine leading to a creek at the bottom of the mountain. Unbeknownst to me, a guy and his daughter were hunting up on the flat of the mountain several hundred yards away. Around 9 am, I heard a bunch of rustling in the frozen leafs on the flat followed by a rifle shot. About 30 sec later, 3 bucks and a doe came barreling down into the bowl. About 100 yds out, one buck split off and headed my way while the other three headed off to my right were my brother was in his treestand a couple hundred yards away. The buck that came my direction came to a dead stop behind a thick stand of trees where I couldn't see him but I knew he was there. Not sure if he got a whiff of me or what. After about a minute of waiting with my gun at the ready, he took off at a full sprint in the direction the others had gone. I was able to get on him and get off one shot before he got behind me. Luckily I double lunged him with the one shot and he ran about 50 yds before piling up. My brother was able to get a shot at one of the other bucks but didn't connect. It was the first buck I've taken in the last couple years and I'm hopeful that the deer herd is recovering after a couple bleak years. The deer had lots of acorns in his stomach. I shot him with a 6.5 Creedmore/120 GMX Superperformance ammo. The damage to the lungs was massive.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CBB
Took my best buck ever this morning. Nice 8 in the upper 130s.
Will have pics and story later

Love to see pics and hear the story. A high 130 class, 8pt PA whitetail is a real trophy....
an 8pt in the upper 130's anywhere is a real trophy!
Hunted the rain and saw 19 today, no good (legal) bucks. Called it quits around 2:30, soaked from combing the hills doing mini-pushes, back at it in the morning, but I'll be sitting.
Been in NW PA since last Wednesday and been scouting or hunting since Friday. We have a new to us 1000 acre lease. I love figuring out new property but it sure is humbling. Saw 12 Monday, 6 yesterday, 7 today. Have seen 3 bucks but nothing to write home about. My brother did kill a small 8 pt first morning. Found a dead 8 pt this PM that looks to have been an archer kill not found. It was picked clean, even the face.

Hearing way too much shooting in the late PM. I also found a doe hide at our entrance road. I'm pretty sure the locals are shooting does late PM. Or all the bucks are sure!y dead by now. 3 of the better bucks we have on trail cams are dead. The biggest really pisses me off. Amish on the back road shot it because it was 'endangering his children'. Just happen to be a main frame 12 pt scoring in the 140s or so. The big 10 with crooked brow times was killed on the 'family farm' abutting our lease.

The locals might win this battle. I'm not going to feed the deer to have the locals sneak on and shoot them during archery season.

I'm looking at public and mountain hunting. I hunted bears around Renovo for a few years and saw some honker bucks. Not many deer but some big bucks.
So far another year of Does. Saw 11 today.

Two were down in this hole at around 120.

[Linked Image]

Fog the other day in the AM. Tonight came out in it.

[Linked Image]

Cousin took a small 8 on his farm this evening.

Addition: The one he shot was with another Buck and they were pushing each other. He blew on his grunt tube and the one he shot came running. Shot it at around 30 yards.
Another nice Mountain Buck. Congrats.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I was fortunate to kill a buck Monday. Tioga County (3A) 8pt with the NULA .243 at about 225-240 yards. Oh yea, Barnes 80gr TTSX bullet.

I hadn't killed a buck there since 2012......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice buck Lawdwaz, Congrats!
Just noticed yours Lawdwaz. The Nula strikes again. Nice.
Originally Posted by battue
So far another year of Does. Saw 11 today.

You must be hunting the same spot as me Battue, Ive seen over 30 in 3 days of hunting, no buck sightings of mention yet...
You have me beat by a few. Did see a couple little not legal Bucks on Monday. Along with the nice one my Cousin and I argued about who should shoot. I told him beforehand, any nice Buck was his first. His place and he built a nice shanty to hunt out of.

Finally, he agreed to shoot and as he was getting set up, the farmer who has the next farm walked out and the Buck took off.
bwinters, my pal has a small farm in Pa. These religious sects are a reap PIA...
Thanks for the comments on Lyme. Congrats to all who got, some nice ones! I left early, just got home, wasnt feelin too great. I was pushin myself and shouldnt have, but hey, this only comes once a year I had to. Unfortunately, I dont have the stamina anymore to go where I needed to. Nonetheless, I saw doe every day so im happy. Wish I coulda lasted til saturday though.

Saw this guy sunday, that was cool (cellphone pic, sorry)
[Linked Image]

Battue, the fog rolled in on us this afternoon too..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bwinters

I'm looking at public and mountain hunting. I hunted bears around Renovo for a few years and saw some honker bucks. Not many deer but some big bucks.

bwinters...HUSH! grin Not many is right, and hopefully ill get better so I can chase the few that are left.I got some decent ones through the years for the area...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

theres more out there, one of these days ill be able to climb these hills again. Good luck to ya if ya ever make it back to the area!

[Linked Image]
I'm enjoying reading this thread! some decent deer taken too and great pics!
Crazy year continues...I worked my way into a piece of co-op land I hunt often. Im just about to my spot when I notice Orange to my right. Oh'well somebody else in here, I gave them their space and moved off to watch another ridge (only seen 2 other hunters in there in 5 years). I just get seated with my back to a tree and BOOM..., give it a few, yearling doe running around confused, then walk over to see what he got. Nice buck, only a six pt., but heavy and 4 on one side, 2 on the other (missing a pt and brow). So I helped him drag it out and load it, went and watched another nearby area for an hour and half, then had to go to work. Went out this evening and saw 3 doe.

So for the first week, hunted 4 days, seen 36 doe, no buck. Cant remember another year like this. I know they have been hitting them hard with crossbows, but sheesh...

No more hunting for me until Tuesday at the earliest. Got a doe tag and out of venison, so hoping to fill it.
I've also enjoyed the posts here.

Hunted all day and saw a spike - twice. Wind was howling mid AM through early PM. Jumped 2 on the way out. Overall slow day. Only heard 2 shots this AM and 2 this PM. Does must be getting thined out.......

Also went back to the 8 pt carcases to retrieve the rack and it was gone. We have more than a few bears. One is crunching bones tonight.

Tomorrow should be fun - 15-35 mph winds, all day with snain (snow + rain) thrown in for good measure. I'll probably sit out the evening fun if that happens. This weather isn't helping the cold my daughter gave me over Thanksgiving.
Only saw 4 today, but number 4 was enough. 35yards maybe. .300Savage finally has its' day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The story is I stopped by a hollow where I scattered the ashes of two Bird Dogs. Said my words and finally said, if you could send a Buck my way it would be appreciated.

Got up to leave and down the hill he came straight at me.

A little spooky.

battue congrats great buck!
That be a good one, story makes it even more special. Congrats.
battue, cool story.. Nice buck. Used my .300 Savage this fall on a mulie doe.. One of my favorite little rifles.
Congratulations!!!!
Just noticed yours Lawdwaz. The Nula strikes again. Nice.

Thank you and congratulations on your fine buck.
The other lucky happening was he was just up the hill from an old logging road, but perhaps a mile from the 4Runner. And down the road from the Runner was an old Yamaha Rhino that I keep in case there is a nasty drag. Got the Rhino, drove back and loaded him on. About as easy as it gets.
Well done battue....
Nicely done!
Congrats battue, nice buck. Interesting mojo going on in that hollow.
Congrats Battue. Sounds like you had a couple of 4 legged guardian angels with you today, whatever works. Nice rifle, great old cartridge
Congratulations Battue, very nice 10 pt for the Pa mountains. The 300 savage is a known iconic deer killer. The old bird dogs spirit god's mojo blessed you today !
Good job Battue. Did you see many deer? Our guys got the 9 point and saw two other shooter bucks on the run. No shots afforded at either one.
In three days on this place, I saw 25 or so. 1200 acres and one of my regrets are not buying it when it came up for sale around 20 years or so. Selective cutting of the timber would have gone a long way in making it a push.

Farms around it and it had hardly been hunted the last two years. This is one of the smaller Bucks that have been seen this year. I know the fellow that has the piece next to it and he passes thru it to get to his ground. One giant is on there. Been seen by a couple guys and missed by one.

I need to learn how to stay in one place more. Hard to do when there are so many memories and successful hunts in so many places over 40+ years. Some nasty holes and hills, and to not go there means you no longer can. So I go....

Congratulations Battue! Nice buck and a great memorable story to go with it.
Congrats on a great buck!
You worked for that buck! Congratulations!
battue, congrats on your hard earned trophy. what are the details on the 300 savage rifle?
First, thanks to all for the posts.

Second, most of you are probably better Deer hunters than me. I've had the blessings to be consistently successful most often, but not because I'm that great at the game. I just more or less hang out where they like to hang, and given enough time we usually bump into each other.

If I wasn't so greedy and would have let that one walk, he had the potential to be a Giant.

The rifle is a Kimber that started out as a .338Fed. Shot some Deer with it, but didn't enjoy the recoil. So, had Dave Bruno put a little heavier than what it came with Douglas .300Savage barrel on it. I really like it. Carries nice, shoots good and more than adequate for most Whitetail opportunities I will use it for.
battue, that's a beauty. Makes me home sick every time I see pictures of PA.
A little better look of the Deer and rifle.

Pretty much run of the mill Montana from a distance.

[Linked Image]
Congratulations!
Nice job battue, great deer and rifle!
Really glad you scored Battue. I was thinking about you on Monday moring and wondering how things were working out for you. Congrats, sir.
Thank you, and you boys obviously had a good time. I think if you had more of it, there would have been more than one Buck down. Only two days makes it tough for everything to fall just right.
Yes Sir, this will be my last year as a PA resident, moving to FL in January, then I will be one of those non-resident goofs who comes back every year.

Good luck all and stay safe.

Good luck to all!

For 40 years I always hunted the whole first week or until I got my buck. When retirement comes around in a few years count on me being there from Bear season Monday thru the two week deer season!

A year or two after my job took me out of PA I had someone notice my non-resident tag and called me a out of stater there taking their deer smile

I had to laugh at the jerk, my family has been in PA since the mid 1600's.

Yep, down here now house hunting, already planning on being back next year as a non-res for bear, Thanksgiving dinner with the relatives, then a week of buck, Sat doe possibly.
Nice buck battue! Interesting rifle too. The 250 and 300 Savages are both cool rounds. In the Montana either would be a sweet PA deer rig. I know a family that all 3 of them use 250 Savages. In the m700 Classic.

Nice pics too. Thanks for sharing them. Ill get some up next week. Been busy hunting and trading trucks.
Tagged a doe on Saturday morning. She was in a group of 4 that stopped on a wooded sidehill about 200 yds from me. I was able to get into the sling, kneel down, and lean against the gas shanty that I was using to block the wind. Almost felt like shooting the bench.

One shot with the 270 (130 gr Hornady Spitzer and 60 gr H4831sc) was all it took.

Then to top it off, she rolled down the hill to the field edge and I could drive the truck right to her.

Dale
Congrats on the nice buck, Battue! Now get the boys out for a few grouse!
Congrads on the Buck and a Dandy rifle!
Wilkes,

Thanks and hope you and yours are doing well.

Grouse on that place have been really down lately in spite of good cover. They think west nile virus has gotten into our Birds. Buuuuut, this year we flushed around 12. Will probably run the Dogs on them, but not try shoot more than one. Perhaps they are bouncing back.

Dale,

Congrats on a Pa Doe. Have a tag and have plans to maybe get one myself.

Saddlering,

Thanks. I like that rifle more than a little. Being a runt myself, I'm partial to runts.
Finally, after 6 days of hunting in the rain. cold, and wind I got a buck! Not much in the antler department.

[Linked Image]

For the looneys, here's the load info:
Projectile: 2007 Toyota Tundra
Weight: 2000 lbs
Speed: 72 mile/hr

Not quite the classic mushroom but close.

[Linked Image]

Hit the 6 pt at almost exactly noon. He came up over the guardrail landed on the road square in front of the grill. I never saw him coming and never hit the brakes until after the crunch. Airbag deployment and towed from the scene. On the bright side, I did get to spend 5 hours with some fine VA folks at the Sunoco off exit 54 while waiting for my wife to drive up from Knoxville. Haven't heard back from my insurance company which likely isn't a good thing........
Not much else to say but glad you're ok.

It's amazing how fast they can appear. Glad you're OK but I don't think the truck will buff out.

Dale
Originally Posted by Dale K
It's amazing how fast they can appear. Glad you're OK but I don't think the truck will buff out.

Dale

Purty sure it won't buff out. <G>

A funny side note. Upon impact, I hit the brakes hard. The truck has antilock brakes but it wowed me down quick. I looked out the passenger side and the buck passed me skidding down the shoulder and came to rest in the grass. The truck stopped before he did. I know he skidded at least 100 yards.
pahick,I grew up in Renovo and live about 35 miles away. I rarely hunt in the area any more because of lack of deer, but my brother and I will end the season on Saturday hunting my wife's family's property in Shintown. I took a fair number of bucks there and in Baker's Run, but not too many were as nice as the ones you took.
Got back late tues night after a house hunting exursion for an upcoming move. Went out Tues night saw 1 deer (couldnt tell what it was) and 1 doe, which I waited to see if anything came out behind it, then it was gone. Today I decided I had better fill my doe tag. I sat a stand I built couple years ago that has been good to me, wasnt sitting 30 min when I spotted a tail flicker, doe but no shot, in brush. I watched her for about 15 min until she entered a cleared about 120 yards away, the Tikka barked and I wathced her fall in the scope (never had that happen), one more doe took off that I never saw. As luck would have it, after I field dresses her, my buddy texted me to see if I saw anything and came over to help me drag it out. Got the tenderloins in the fridge, meat hanging in the garage and a cold beer in the Laz-a-boy. Life is good! Got 2 more days to try and find an altered variety. Me and a buddy plan on covering a lot of ground tomorrow. We shall see. Been a good season thus far with probably close to 40 deer seen, even the gamelands in 3B are showing signs of life from the doe over-kill a few years back.
Congrats on the Doe.

Hunted today with an old Bud and his son. The son shot a nice 9 in archery.

Windy today. The Son and I did mini pushes for the Father. I saw 9, maybe the same 4 twice. Could have shot a Doe, but passed.

Son saw 11, one of which was a small Buck

Father saw a good many, not sure just how many. Two Bucks and missed one on a trot.

Out tomorrow to do one man pushes for another Bud, then perhaps get serious on a Doe Saturday. Would really like to see some snow stick on the ground.

Doe is going to have to be a loner without yearlings.
I've been hunting most mornings/afternoons for a few hours. I shot a doe on the first Saturday, but havent seen a good buck yet. It's my third season on the new farm, and really haven't figured it out yet.

I did come across a bunch of these yesterday morning, a first for me during rifle season.

[Linked Image]
Congrats to all those successful this year!

Crazy year for me. Had a few good buck on camera thru summer and thru archery.

Background - Oct 22 I had buck action right at daylight when a big body buck chased doe in the gray light. Had a 90-95 inch 8pt feed in front about 10 min later. Does came back with good buck in tow. Steep shot at 14yds, low back but in the ribs. Bled good for 60-75 yds then nothing. Backed out waited 6.5 hours and went back. Ended up looking for something like 12-13 hours for him. Two specs about 60yds from last blood was all we found. I was sick about it. Kept looking for it as I moved to/from stands - nothing. All the good bucks seemed to go nocturnal in early November.

Fast-forward to rifle - 17 doe the first day, a few day each evening after work, and 5 doe the first Saturday. Finally got out the second Wednesday. With a front coming in and signs of scrapes being opened up again, I left work a little early and rushed to get out. Threw on hunting clothes over work clothes and headed out. Did a fast "sneak" to stand and cleared the noisy ice off the platform. Way too much noise so I figured I spooked everything within earshot. Sat down and scanned the draw on my right where I expected to see deer come from. Heard something to the left and see a small buck headed to me. Scope him out, wish him good luck getting thru the rest of the season, and bring the rifle down. Then I notice the bigger deer in front of him. I know he's better, count points, look at mass, spread, etc - yep good. At the shot he bolts but flips after about 40 yds. I was in stand 15 minutes.
Nice 10 with broken G4's, he looked familiar. Went home and got my sons for the recovery. First time my youngest was able to do this.
When I was skinning him I noticed a mark on inside of the ribs. This is the buck I hit in archery, I'm 99% sure of it. Only thing I can think of is I only caught the back of 1 lung due to steep angle and he was able to recover. Weighed 166lbs with very little fat on him.
I'll post a pic tonight.

9-5PM.Two man pushes, a little still hunting and posted up for the last hour. Deer seen: Zero. Good day, just not a good day Deer hunting.

Forgot: Bumped into 7Grouse in a new place. Good day.
Did small pushes all day long with a buddy, seen about 20 doe, no buck. One more shot tomorrow, gonna have to change it up a bit, possibly head for the big woods as the little farm lots appear void of the antlered variety.
Bud shot a small Buck two days ago. Grabbed one horn and it came off. Got ahold on the other, same thing.

[Linked Image]

Nicely done! Congrats!
[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of my buck from the above story. Guess I was too late to edit and add.
Scott,

That'll do. Congrats. Beautiful Buck.
Thats a dandy. I went out this morning for one last shot, but a guy pulled in after me and went in also (small piece of co-op, maybe 20-30 acres wooded, with adjacent fields). I watched a doe feed along then he shot (diff deer), I waited for a few mins then went to the local gamelands. Plenty of fresh tracks, nice day with the newly fallen snow. No sightings in a short sit. Went home, ran to get the tree with the family and had a tenderloin supper from the doe I shot. Not a bad year even though I didnt get a buck (first time in 4 years). Thanks for all who shared stories and pics, always adds to the excitement and anticipation for the next time I get out. I might take the flinter for a walk after Christmas for some bologna. One more pheasant stalking coming up as well, and rabbits after fresh now...all is well until Feb.
Time to get the flintlocks warmed up.
Didn't go out today. Must have heard 60+ shots on Friday and figured the Does took a pounding and if I crossed paths with one temptation would have probably won. Have enough meat from the Buck.

Absolutely love roaming the wood with a Deer rifle. Been a great year, now the long wait.
Originally Posted by Terryk
Time to get the flintlocks warmed up.

Checked mine back in Oct, and it's ready to go. smile
I took Friday off work and headed north to the farm. Poked around Friday AM but didn't see anything in the woods. Fri PM I picked up my deer from the butcher and did some other errands, then did some work around the farm. Heard some shooting but none ran past the machine shed were I was.

Saturday, we had good snow, I saw 7 does but none I wanted shoot or didn't want to shoot where they were. Buddy saw a couple. We knocked off around noon, ate lunch and then I packed up and came home.

Saw 7 on the drive home just after 5 PM. They were out in farm fields, grazing like cattle. The bastids must have known it was quitting time!

I'll probably take the flintlock out some after Christmas.

Dale
I love flintlock season. It can be tough hunting, but I love it.
Going to ruffle some thoughts, but let me make the rules and the crossbow and flintlock groups would all hunt during the regular rifle season.

Crossbows during archery, with scopes no less. Isn't that great? Late flintlock? How many, perhaps next years hog Bucks, with dropped antlers are taken?

They want a special season, then make a choice and that would be what you get to Deer hunt with or you either use them during regular rifle. They would be few.
Im good with a Oct-Dec deer season, you get a buck and a doe tag, use what you wish...
Going to ruffle some thoughts, but let me make the rules and the crossbow and flintlock groups would all hunt during the regular rifle season.

Crossbows during archery, with scopes no less. Isn't that great? Late flintlock? How many, perhaps next years hog Bucks, with dropped antlers are taken?

They want a special season, then make a choice and that would be what you get to Deer hunt with or you either use them during regular rifle. They would be few.

+1
Im good with a Oct-Dec deer season, you get a buck and a doe tag, use what you wish...

There is another change I would make. Guaranteed Doe tag....every three years. Pick your WMU. Start with the current year or wait for two or three for the first, then wait for three. Your Doe tag is good for the entire 2 week Deer season.

Archery: Bucks only, unless you are 18 or under. Then Buck or Doe.

Wishful thinking.

There is another change I would make. Guaranteed Doe tag....every three years. Pick your WMU. Start with the current year or wait for two or three for the first, then wait for three. Your Doe tag is good for the entire 2 week Deer season.

Archery: Bucks only, unless you are 18 or under. Then Buck or Doe.

Wishful thinking.

What about antlerless before the rut? That way you're not killing a pregnant deer.
I would think the Bowhunters wouldn't be too fond of it and I wouldn't blame them.

I would think the Bowhunters wouldn't be too fond of it and I wouldn't blame them.

Bow hunter's that I know bitch about the early muzzle loader and jr/sr seasons so let em bitch.
I hear that every year Sauer200. They want a 6 week exclusive with nobody else in the woods.
I hunt pretty much every deer season here in PA. I hunt with my bow, with a rifle, and with a flintlock.

I live and hunt in northwestern WMU5C. I get that some areas of the state are not doing well for deer populations, and if things need to change, I won't object.

But I like how things are here in 5C. I truly hope nothing changes for the time being. We have great seasons and a pretty good number of deer. So if things change outside of 5c, I won't say a peep against it, but don't screw with our seasons here. It's great. A buddy of mine from Maine came to visit and in 4 days saw a fair number of deer. Not a huge number by my estimation, but a good number. He took home a nice mature doe, too.
My hunting pard Angel and I had an awesome time w/ mjbgalt, Jeff & his brother and son. We were pretty surprised by how many deer hunters left after the first day.

We've talked to a couple of our other hunting pards have decided we'll be back in '17. Jeff's brother has invited several others to their camp so we're not sure there'll be room for us there but we'll make a way.

Which reminds me... we're considering going in on a wall tent but not sure of the camping regs on state and national forest? As Gus would say, "anyone know for sure?"

For those who didn't see the thread on my trip with mjbgalt & Agel to Gophergunner's place, here is my Boone Mountain buck:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mjbgalt saw his twin up top the night of the opener, and Angel saw a shooter buck. I saw one while dragging mine also.

I think your antler point restrictions are paying off. I didn't see many deer but the ones I saw were impressive. An advantage you have too is some rougher terrain that allows bigger chunks (we in the LP have no unroaded public chunks bigger than a square mile so easy access for hunters) and hides holes for bucks to grow.

Awesome buck and story Battue congrats!

Scott that's a really nice one as well!
You got a great big woods Buck in God's Country. Pretty cool....

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20030820.pdf

Suggestion: Contact a realtor in the area and inquire about camps available for renting. May be surprised what you can come up with. The earlier you get on it the better.

Originally Posted by tddeangelo
I hunt pretty much every deer season here in PA. I hunt with my bow, with a rifle, and with a flintlock.

I live and hunt in northwestern WMU5C. I get that some areas of the state are not doing well for deer populations, and if things need to change, I won't object.

But I like how things are here in 5C. I truly hope nothing changes for the time being. We have great seasons and a pretty good number of deer. So if things change outside of 5c, I won't say a peep against it, but don't screw with our seasons here. It's great. A buddy of mine from Maine came to visit and in 4 days saw a fair number of deer. Not a huge number by my estimation, but a good number. He took home a nice mature doe, too.

Comments had little to do with Deer populations and a lot to do with unreasonable preferential treatment of killing Bucks with scope sighted crossbows and late season killing of next years Bucks which have shed antlers.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20030820.pdf

Suggestion: Contact a realtor in the area and inquire about camps available for renting. May be surprised what you can come up with. The earlier you get on it the better.

Thanks a lot for the link and that's an excellent idea on calling re: available cabins!

One of the saddest things I saw on the trip was all the abandoned deer camp cabins.

Thanks again!
Originally Posted by efw

Thanks a lot for the link and that's an excellent idea on calling re: available cabins!

One of the saddest things I saw on the trip was all the abandoned deer camp cabins.

Thanks again!
I had a great time sharing our camp with EFW and MJBGALT. We had a great hunt. It is sad to see so many camps sitting empty on the opener. Several iconic camps from our area no longer have the lights on for the buck season. Places like the Flying Dutchmen, Bear's Den, Camp Misery, to name a few. The older guys are passing on, and the younger guys are hunting elsewhere, or not hunting at all. Truly a sad sight to see.
I won't be back home for deer season next year, but two years from now we'll be doing this again. Thinking about doing a Savage 99 hunt only. Les all ready said he's interested, if he's back stateside, and I bet we can find 3 or 4 other Savage nuts interested in giving it a try.
Originally Posted by Sauer200

What about antlerless before the rut? That way you're not killing a pregnant deer.

I'm trying to understand this rationale.
How many does in your neck of the woods go into spring unbred?
Pa. has an early antlerless season in October before the rut. It's a muzzloader (any) only for everyone the first part of the week but the last 3 days, youth (under 17) and seniors (over 65) can use regular rifles. Plus archery is in before the rut.

So any does shot then would not be pregnant.

The late seasons (flintlock and archery again) happen after Christmas so most of the does are bred. Rut is usually the first half of November, give or take.

Dale
I won't be back home for deer season next year, but two years from now we'll be doing this again. Thinking about doing a Savage 99 hunt only. Les all ready said he's interested, if he's back stateside, and I bet we can find 3 or 4 other Savage nuts interested in giving it a try.

Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise, I'm in.

Dale
I'll put you on the list, buddy.

You really think with all the ppl in this state that can't a hit a deer with a centerfire rifle and a scope, that the late flintlock season is hurting the deer population? Second, a crossbow doesn't have much of anything on a compound bow, other than the fact that you don't have to draw them in the presence of game, i.e. less movement. Range isn't any greater. And thats coming from someone that doesnt care for crossbows. Third, killing a buck without antlers isn't going to affect anything, population included. Except someone might kill "your hog buck". Sounds more like personal feelings than good biological reasoning.
Well, bad shooting and all they managed to kill around 315,000 last year. Bad shooters also must have crippled more than a few.

Yours is another example of "I post on the campfire and those that don't obviously are Elmers and lousy shots? Exclusive club we have here? Laughing....

Killing range wasn't part of the discussion, scopes on crossbows were.

Didn't say it would affect overall population numbers. Although perhaps those horrible shooters, now having to use irons are perhaps hitting even more Deer on the fringes. Can't do the numbers any favors if we are to believe your bad shooter view. Did mention "hog Bucks." Mine, yours and everyone else's. Sounds like you are quick to jump to personal conclusions.

If you're going to go wise azz, best keep up.

Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Sauer200

I'm trying to understand this rationale.
How many does in your neck of the woods go into spring unbred?

Very few go unbred, if any. I guess some might, but come early summer, it's pretty odd to see an adult doe with no fawns in tow.

I've had this conversation locally. Yes, when you kill a pregnant doe you kill the fawn as well. But if you kill that doe prior to breeding, you have the exact same net effect as if you kill her post-breeding, as far as next year's population is concerned.
td,
Agree 100%.
Deer season was pretty good. I got a buck in archery and a doe last week. My boy got a doe in the last hour of Saturday, but best of all, he got a bear, which was pretty exciting!
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Nothing wise ass about it. Just info you seem to refuse to believe because you feel you know more than most? If you want wise ass, I can deliver, but don't really see a need for that here.
What does having a scope on a crossbow vs not having one on it do to make it so much of a problem? As far as poor shooting, and wounding deer, how many people hunt rifle season, vs. how many hunt flintlock? Number comparisons can be made, easily. I have no issues with anyone killing any deer, in any season, with any weapon. The deer aren't mine, yours, or anyone else's. So what if a guy with a crossbow kills a big buck, or that same big buck dies in flint season, after it dropped it's antlers. Good for that hunter, they accomplished their goal of killung a deer. I guess if one is jealous that "their" hog buck got killed by someone else, then I can understand the whining.
No, I don't see a need for it, but for the record here is the start of smart azz. Recognize the name?

Originally Posted by borden811
Third, killing a buck without antlers isn't going to affect anything, population included. Except someone might kill "your hog buck". Sounds more like personal feelings than good biological reasoning.

You don't have a problem with any killing a Deer in any season. Hell, let's make a run them down with Wolf Hounds season. How about tipped blow gun? Where do you draw the line and because I draw a different line you start with the smart azz and good biological reasoning bs.

See you are a biologist, well I hope it isn't related to wildlife biology. Biological reasoning cut me a break. Crossbow inclusion was a political football forced on the GC by the manufacturers, dealers, and hunters. The manufacturers pushed the legislature and the hunters lied on getting an MD to write a disability excuse. It made tagging out with archery equipment easier. Add scopes and you have your answer of why I don't agree with you.

I buy an archery tag every year and haven't used one for at least 15. Same with a flintlock tag. I support those who want to use them. I don't support their preferential treatment when it comes to killing times. Nor if you want to get into the biological reasoning, to kill a genetically superior animal who has survived two hunts that year and will probably be around to pass on his genetics at least one more time.

I'm not the one whining unless you define it as one whose opinion is different; and yours should take precedence over mine on how things can be better.

Kiss off....Take it as smart azz please.

Teeder congrats to you and your son that is indeed awesome!
lol, wow. Yeah, it's whining. Killing a deer with a crossbow is no easier than killing one with a compound. Except for the fact that I stated earlier, of not drawing in the presence of game. There are scopes of various flavors that can be put on vertical bows as well. Doesn't change the fact that they're not a long range weapon, same as a crossbow. There's no preferential treatment. The PGC sets seasons to get a desired harvest, not to cater to one group or another. Also, there's nothing preventing you from getting a crossbow and enjoying all the "preferential" treatment. However, that would require more effort than whining. It all boils down to the same, your feelings are hurt that someone might shoot one of "your hog bucks". Sad.
I agree on the crossbow vs. modern compound. Not a whole lot of difference there. It really comes down to if you like hunting out of a treestand or not. I dont, so tried hunting with a bow from the ground on multiple occasions. Usually deer showed up with me frozen not being able to draw without getting busted, then they would decide something smelled funny and leave. With a crossbow it would have been do-able with a slow spring turkey like gun raise. 40-50 yard shots with a modern compound is not the unethical feat it once was. Neither crossbows nor modern compounds interest me that much, so I still hunt with a round wheel bow using fingers. If I was a dedicated "hog buck hunter" I'd hunt the rut from sun up to sun down with the lastest/greatest/fastest crossbow I could get my hands on. I see bigger bucks the 1st week in Nov then I ever get a chance to shoot in gun season, but I still like hunting with a rifle too, and my round wheeler, and my flinter in Oct. Its all good!

I want in on this!!
Since you are obviously challenged both in comprehensive and logistical abilities lets go over your points individually.

The average person with a decent grounding in rifle shooting skills can pick up a tuned crossbow and be shooting consistent Deer groups out to at least 30 yards in an hours time. Again the average person will not be doing the same with a compound. Even more so with a recurve.

Be that as it may, the crossbow is actually in someways a less efficient weapon, in that it generates less arrow speed and thus less energy. It also is a more cumbersome to carry around. But if the average person can be hitting Deer size vitals at 30 yards-plus if they have the slightest hand/eye coordination-and consistently doing so in an hours time, it logistically becomes an easier weapon to master.

There is preferential treatment of the archery crew, if only because the are allowed to hunt the rut. Combine it with much better weather and it adds up to special considerations being given them. It's their weapon of choice, but by choosing, they get a gift. Harder you say and thus....correct you are, but they still get the gift.

As far as the kill numbers the GC desires. They could obtain the same numbers by extending the regular rifle season, and let the archery people all join in with their weapon of choice. Which they can do now, but by having a special season which coincides with the rut, they do in effect grant them a special preference. As mentioned that doesn't bother me all that much. Crossbows with scopes is what makes me whine.

To be fair, I find dedicated archers to be a better than good group. They have patience and many practice and bring their shooting skills to a level that should be emulated by more riflemen. They also kill many of the hogs that are tagged, by being willing to pass up those that need more growing time. The gift makes it advantageous for them to be willing to do so.

Nothing that prevents me from participating you say. Will you finally got something partially right. Yea!!!! Except, it would be more than a little hypocritical of me to do so-with a scoped sighted crossbow, not a compound, get it????-until I change my views.

Now to the sad part of your miserable attempt. I have said, maybe twice at least, that as far as the Hogs go, I want them there for all. Never said just me. If only you would think and comprehend the actuality of it-biological reasoning and all-there would be more of them all across the State, for all. Your argument that I want it for only me, the one you keep falling back on is....flawed, flailing, and at best weak.

Like I said, kiss off. Because you keep failing to keep up.

Hmm, so now you're talking in circles, and appear to agree with most of what I've said. Interesting. Now it's the "archery crew" who has preferential treatment, not just crossbows. And since you buy your archery tag every year, you're one of them. So in essence, you're complaining about yourself. Neat. I don't know how much time you spend around modern archery equipment, but apparently not much. With a modern compound, release aid, sights, etc. your same half coordinated crossbow shooter will be shooting "deer groups" with a compound in short order as well at 20-30 yards. Easy Peasy. Shooting form in the field will play a role in thier accuracy, and more time needs to be spent on perfecting that. But to pick a bow up for the first time and shoot easily acceptable hunting groups on the range at 20-30 yards is nothing. Also, most crossbows shoot as fast or faster than a compound bow(mostly faster). The bolts are a bit lighter, but not by a large margin. Maybe 50gr or so. The reason their killing range is the same as a compound is because with the bolts short length, and slightly lighter weight, they bleed off energy much more rapidly. Kind of like a slow heavy long bullet vs a light fast short bullet. Maybe put in terms of rifle ballistics you can comprehend it better? So, it seems maybe your the one having trouble keeping up? At least try to have an idea what you're talking about if you're going to continue this argument.
If I needed a tutorial on the ballistic characteristics of the x-bow, I would thank you. I don't. Well done on avoiding your own points. Good work there. You continue to flail and make shiit up.

Perhaps again when you have something substantial to contribute.

I bought a crossbow back in 2009 when I tore my achillies. Couldn't get in a tree stand for a couple years. Went back to my compound for a few years, but now back to using a crossbow this year because of my eyes. I just can't use the sights anymore.
That's all you could come up with? Drivel? Clearly the mark of a defeated man. I'm just going to move on, as this is like having a discussion with a 3 year old. Even when things are explained to you, you still fail to understand. Impressive! Good luck to you in the future, hopefully those pesky crossbow scopes and late season flint hunters don't kill too many of your "hog bucks"!
You are a howl if nothing less. Anyway, declare yourself a winner if it makes you feel good.

Another one of your campfire contributions:

Originally Posted by borden811
The last thing I'd EVER want is a troublesome rifle, especially if it was a hunting rifle.

"EVER", no [bleep] and keep on repeating, "I'm the winner." You may even eventually come to believe it.

"LOL, wow and neat"

© 24hourcampfire