Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, I don't see a need for it, but for the record here is the start of smart azz. Recognize the name?

Originally Posted by borden811
Third, killing a buck without antlers isn't going to affect anything, population included. Except someone might kill "your hog buck". Sounds more like personal feelings than good biological reasoning.

You don't have a problem with any killing a Deer in any season. Hell, let's make a run them down with Wolf Hounds season. How about tipped blow gun? Where do you draw the line and because I draw a different line you start with the smart azz and good biological reasoning bs.

See you are a biologist, well I hope it isn't related to wildlife biology. Biological reasoning cut me a break. Crossbow inclusion was a political football forced on the GC by the manufacturers, dealers, and hunters. The manufacturers pushed the legislature and the hunters lied on getting an MD to write a disability excuse. It made tagging out with archery equipment easier. Add scopes and you have your answer of why I don't agree with you.

I buy an archery tag every year and haven't used one for at least 15. Same with a flintlock tag. I support those who want to use them. I don't support their preferential treatment when it comes to killing times. Nor if you want to get into the biological reasoning, to kill a genetically superior animal who has survived two hunts that year and will probably be around to pass on his genetics at least one more time.

I'm not the one whining unless you define it as one whose opinion is different; and yours should take precedence over mine on how things can be better.

Kiss off....Take it as smart azz please.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Teeder congrats to you and your son that is indeed awesome!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
lol, wow. Yeah, it's whining. Killing a deer with a crossbow is no easier than killing one with a compound. Except for the fact that I stated earlier, of not drawing in the presence of game. There are scopes of various flavors that can be put on vertical bows as well. Doesn't change the fact that they're not a long range weapon, same as a crossbow. There's no preferential treatment. The PGC sets seasons to get a desired harvest, not to cater to one group or another. Also, there's nothing preventing you from getting a crossbow and enjoying all the "preferential" treatment. However, that would require more effort than whining. It all boils down to the same, your feelings are hurt that someone might shoot one of "your hog bucks". Sad.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree on the crossbow vs. modern compound. Not a whole lot of difference there. It really comes down to if you like hunting out of a treestand or not. I dont, so tried hunting with a bow from the ground on multiple occasions. Usually deer showed up with me frozen not being able to draw without getting busted, then they would decide something smelled funny and leave. With a crossbow it would have been do-able with a slow spring turkey like gun raise. 40-50 yard shots with a modern compound is not the unethical feat it once was. Neither crossbows nor modern compounds interest me that much, so I still hunt with a round wheel bow using fingers. If I was a dedicated "hog buck hunter" I'd hunt the rut from sun up to sun down with the lastest/greatest/fastest crossbow I could get my hands on. I see bigger bucks the 1st week in Nov then I ever get a chance to shoot in gun season, but I still like hunting with a rifle too, and my round wheeler, and my flinter in Oct. Its all good!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I won't be back home for deer season next year, but two years from now we'll be doing this again. Thinking about doing a Savage 99 hunt only. Les all ready said he's interested, if he's back stateside, and I bet we can find 3 or 4 other Savage nuts interested in giving it a try.

I want in on this!!

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since you are obviously challenged both in comprehensive and logistical abilities lets go over your points individually.

The average person with a decent grounding in rifle shooting skills can pick up a tuned crossbow and be shooting consistent Deer groups out to at least 30 yards in an hours time. Again the average person will not be doing the same with a compound. Even more so with a recurve.

Be that as it may, the crossbow is actually in someways a less efficient weapon, in that it generates less arrow speed and thus less energy. It also is a more cumbersome to carry around. But if the average person can be hitting Deer size vitals at 30 yards-plus if they have the slightest hand/eye coordination-and consistently doing so in an hours time, it logistically becomes an easier weapon to master.

There is preferential treatment of the archery crew, if only because the are allowed to hunt the rut. Combine it with much better weather and it adds up to special considerations being given them. It's their weapon of choice, but by choosing, they get a gift. Harder you say and thus....correct you are, but they still get the gift.

As far as the kill numbers the GC desires. They could obtain the same numbers by extending the regular rifle season, and let the archery people all join in with their weapon of choice. Which they can do now, but by having a special season which coincides with the rut, they do in effect grant them a special preference. As mentioned that doesn't bother me all that much. Crossbows with scopes is what makes me whine.

To be fair, I find dedicated archers to be a better than good group. They have patience and many practice and bring their shooting skills to a level that should be emulated by more riflemen. They also kill many of the hogs that are tagged, by being willing to pass up those that need more growing time. The gift makes it advantageous for them to be willing to do so.

Nothing that prevents me from participating you say. Will you finally got something partially right. Yea!!!! Except, it would be more than a little hypocritical of me to do so-with a scoped sighted crossbow, not a compound, get it????-until I change my views.

Now to the sad part of your miserable attempt. I have said, maybe twice at least, that as far as the Hogs go, I want them there for all. Never said just me. If only you would think and comprehend the actuality of it-biological reasoning and all-there would be more of them all across the State, for all. Your argument that I want it for only me, the one you keep falling back on is....flawed, flailing, and at best weak.

Like I said, kiss off. Because you keep failing to keep up.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/16.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hmm, so now you're talking in circles, and appear to agree with most of what I've said. Interesting. Now it's the "archery crew" who has preferential treatment, not just crossbows. And since you buy your archery tag every year, you're one of them. So in essence, you're complaining about yourself. Neat. I don't know how much time you spend around modern archery equipment, but apparently not much. With a modern compound, release aid, sights, etc. your same half coordinated crossbow shooter will be shooting "deer groups" with a compound in short order as well at 20-30 yards. Easy Peasy. Shooting form in the field will play a role in thier accuracy, and more time needs to be spent on perfecting that. But to pick a bow up for the first time and shoot easily acceptable hunting groups on the range at 20-30 yards is nothing. Also, most crossbows shoot as fast or faster than a compound bow(mostly faster). The bolts are a bit lighter, but not by a large margin. Maybe 50gr or so. The reason their killing range is the same as a compound is because with the bolts short length, and slightly lighter weight, they bleed off energy much more rapidly. Kind of like a slow heavy long bullet vs a light fast short bullet. Maybe put in terms of rifle ballistics you can comprehend it better? So, it seems maybe your the one having trouble keeping up? At least try to have an idea what you're talking about if you're going to continue this argument.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I needed a tutorial on the ballistic characteristics of the x-bow, I would thank you. I don't. Well done on avoiding your own points. Good work there. You continue to flail and make shiit up.

Perhaps again when you have something substantial to contribute.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a crossbow back in 2009 when I tore my achillies. Couldn't get in a tree stand for a couple years. Went back to my compound for a few years, but now back to using a crossbow this year because of my eyes. I just can't use the sights anymore.

Last edited by Teeder; 12/16/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's all you could come up with? Drivel? Clearly the mark of a defeated man. I'm just going to move on, as this is like having a discussion with a 3 year old. Even when things are explained to you, you still fail to understand. Impressive! Good luck to you in the future, hopefully those pesky crossbow scopes and late season flint hunters don't kill too many of your "hog bucks"!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are a howl if nothing less. Anyway, declare yourself a winner if it makes you feel good.

Another one of your campfire contributions:

Originally Posted by borden811
The last thing I'd EVER want is a troublesome rifle, especially if it was a hunting rifle.

"EVER", no [bleep] and keep on repeating, "I'm the winner." You may even eventually come to believe it.

"LOL, wow and neat"

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,157
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.