Home
Posted By: fishdog52 Ticks - 10/30/17
I have 3 different woods that I hunt, so have been out setting up stands over the last couple of weeks (Steuben and Chemung counties in western NYS). While none are tick free, one of the areas has an abundance of ticks that has me considering foregoing hunting there til freezing weather. Found 8 ticks after my last walk.
Now using lots of permethrin in my boots & clothes. Hope the ticks don't learn to like the stuff.
Are you experiencing a similar problem?
Posted By: Bperdue21 Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
I killed probably 25 of them that were on my pants during a 2.5 miles hike up the mountain taking my climber in. They were smaller ticks with a red mark on them.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
There used to be lots of them here in Texas, not now. Everyone thinks the fire ๐Ÿœ ants have something to do with ticks disappearing.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
Place I hunt in NW GA was really bad until last year. Last year was a really dry summer and fall.....and then a fire came through. I didn't get a single tick there last year and haven't so far this year. That fire was the best tick control ever!
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
Wildfires and fireants just went up a few notches in my esteem.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by hanco
There used to be lots of them here in Texas, not now. Everyone thinks the fire ๐Ÿœ ants have something to do with ticks disappearing.

What part of TX? Hill Country was the worst ever the past 9 months IMO. Iโ€™ve maybe had one in my life until 2017, I got 4 in about 3 months. A lot of my field crews along the river have been torn up by them also.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Ticks - 10/30/17

It's been much warmer than normal. I seem to be a "tick magnet", which is better than "chick magnet" according to my wife!

I have one spot where I am good for at least 3 of the little buggers each time in/out. I check REAL close each time out, they also are all black, some VERY small, I think they are all deer ticks which seem to be growing in population around here, all I used to get is wood ticks, but one spot I've been hunting has all deer ticks for some reason.

Come on cold weather!
Posted By: hanco Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
I hunt in by the injun reservation between Livingston and Woodville. I see them on hogs and deer, but never had any on me.

Iโ€™m in a lease in Burnet, same thing, never a tick on me. Maybe just been lucky?

I donโ€™t like them at all, they like private places.
Posted By: brush_buster Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
I hunt near Menard, Texas and we are covered up with ticks both last season and this year. I too use permethrin on my clothes and it really has worked for me.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
I killed probably 25 of them that were on my pants during a 2.5 miles hike up the mountain taking my climber in. They were smaller ticks with a red mark on them.

Seems like it will be a bumper year here in SWVA for ticks as well.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by hanco

What part of TX? Hill Country was the worst ever the past 9 months IMO. Iโ€™ve maybe had one in my life until 2017, I got 4 in about 3 months. A lot of my field crews along the river have been torn up by them also.

Same here. They are worse in Fisher County than I've ever seen them.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Ticks - 10/30/17
If they're that bad, just spray your cloths with Off. The problem I have is, if you kill a deer that's covered with them.
Posted By: Bperdue21 Re: Ticks - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by Raeford

I live in Bath County, so thats pretty close.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Ticks - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by Raeford

I live in Bath County, so thats pretty close.

Montgomery here.
I took a stroll around our place last Saturday for a couple of hours, every time that I looked I had 1,2,3 crawling up my pant legs.
Guessing that i pulled near 50 off.
Posted By: badwolf Re: Ticks - 11/02/17
Really bad this year in PA, can't go out of the house without my tick clothes. Gamehide elimitick clothing is the best thing for ticks. I never even see them when wearing it.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Ticks - 11/03/17
I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY and they have been bad here for awhile. We're pretty sure our son has Lyme and he was diagnosed with Babesiosis. A tick check has become a daily routine. The small ticks with a red shield are deer ticks and they are most common here and frequently carry several nasty diseases.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Ticks - 11/03/17
Seems like the fire ants keep them in check some places but not others. The little red ones are still prevalent and the chiggars are thriving. I spray the clothing treatment permethrin on my warm weather clothes then Jungle juice and if really bad I carry a sock of dusting sulpher and hit my legs with it anytime I am going through tall grass and brush. I saw campesinos in Mexico doing the sock thing and I was going to use it until I found out it was straight DDT, but it sure worked.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Ticks - 11/03/17
Spray Repel on your clothes. Have not had a tick in 15 years using it.
Posted By: efw Re: Ticks - 11/07/17
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
If they're that bad, just spray your cloths with Off. The problem I have is, if you kill a deer that's covered with them.

This right here ^ .

I use the tick formula and it works really well on me, then skin & go gutless with the buck right where he lays... only problem then is skull...
Posted By: MNDan Re: Ticks - 11/08/17
Permethrin will last the whole hunting season - amazing stuff. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me...
© 24hourcampfire