Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12363803 10/30/17
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have 3 different woods that I hunt, so have been out setting up stands over the last couple of weeks (Steuben and Chemung counties in western NYS). While none are tick free, one of the areas has an abundance of ticks that has me considering foregoing hunting there til freezing weather. Found 8 ticks after my last walk.
Now using lots of permethrin in my boots & clothes. Hope the ticks don't learn to like the stuff.
Are you experiencing a similar problem?

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I killed probably 25 of them that were on my pants during a 2.5 miles hike up the mountain taking my climber in. They were smaller ticks with a red mark on them.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There used to be lots of them here in Texas, not now. Everyone thinks the fire ๐Ÿœ ants have something to do with ticks disappearing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Place I hunt in NW GA was really bad until last year. Last year was a really dry summer and fall.....and then a fire came through. I didn't get a single tick there last year and haven't so far this year. That fire was the best tick control ever!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wildfires and fireants just went up a few notches in my esteem.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
There used to be lots of them here in Texas, not now. Everyone thinks the fire ๐Ÿœ ants have something to do with ticks disappearing.

What part of TX? Hill Country was the worst ever the past 9 months IMO. Iโ€™ve maybe had one in my life until 2017, I got 4 in about 3 months. A lot of my field crews along the river have been torn up by them also.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

It's been much warmer than normal. I seem to be a "tick magnet", which is better than "chick magnet" according to my wife!

I have one spot where I am good for at least 3 of the little buggers each time in/out. I check REAL close each time out, they also are all black, some VERY small, I think they are all deer ticks which seem to be growing in population around here, all I used to get is wood ticks, but one spot I've been hunting has all deer ticks for some reason.

Come on cold weather!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I hunt in by the injun reservation between Livingston and Woodville. I see them on hogs and deer, but never had any on me.

Iโ€™m in a lease in Burnet, same thing, never a tick on me. Maybe just been lucky?

I donโ€™t like them at all, they like private places.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hunt near Menard, Texas and we are covered up with ticks both last season and this year. I too use permethrin on my clothes and it really has worked for me.

Texas bred and born
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
I killed probably 25 of them that were on my pants during a 2.5 miles hike up the mountain taking my climber in. They were smaller ticks with a red mark on them.

Seems like it will be a bumper year here in SWVA for ticks as well.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by hanco

What part of TX? Hill Country was the worst ever the past 9 months IMO. Iโ€™ve maybe had one in my life until 2017, I got 4 in about 3 months. A lot of my field crews along the river have been torn up by them also.

Same here. They are worse in Fisher County than I've ever seen them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If they're that bad, just spray your cloths with Off. The problem I have is, if you kill a deer that's covered with them.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

I live in Bath County, so thats pretty close.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford

I live in Bath County, so thats pretty close.

Montgomery here.
I took a stroll around our place last Saturday for a couple of hours, every time that I looked I had 1,2,3 crawling up my pant legs.
Guessing that i pulled near 50 off.

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Really bad this year in PA, can't go out of the house without my tick clothes. Gamehide elimitick clothing is the best thing for ticks. I never even see them when wearing it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY and they have been bad here for awhile. We're pretty sure our son has Lyme and he was diagnosed with Babesiosis. A tick check has become a daily routine. The small ticks with a red shield are deer ticks and they are most common here and frequently carry several nasty diseases.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems like the fire ants keep them in check some places but not others. The little red ones are still prevalent and the chiggars are thriving. I spray the clothing treatment permethrin on my warm weather clothes then Jungle juice and if really bad I carry a sock of dusting sulpher and hit my legs with it anytime I am going through tall grass and brush. I saw campesinos in Mexico doing the sock thing and I was going to use it until I found out it was straight DDT, but it sure worked.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spray Repel on your clothes. Have not had a tick in 15 years using it.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
If they're that bad, just spray your cloths with Off. The problem I have is, if you kill a deer that's covered with them.

This right here ^ .

I use the tick formula and it works really well on me, then skin & go gutless with the buck right where he lays... only problem then is skull...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Permethrin will last the whole hunting season - amazing stuff. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.