Home
For $1795.00 Grizzly will customize your 336 Marlin. Do you think it's worth the $$ to have this done?

Like to hear some opinions on this price and the list of custom work they offer for $1795.00

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lever_action_rifle_brush_hawg.html
That's a whole lotta cash! I personally don't think its worth it.
Agreed.

Most of what they do either don't need doing, or can be done for less, IMHO.
That's a lot of fluff that doesn't make it a better hunting rifle than a guide gun out of the box. Or particularly when you can get an 1895SBL that already has half that stuff from the factory.

The action smoothing is nice to have, but you can smooth a new action in front of your TV - just work it. All the moving parts that touch automatically rub against each other and get smoothed.

"Modify loading gate for easier loading & unloading"? This is actually worthwhile as Marlin loading ports can be very sharp. But wth does the loading gate have to do with unloading? Bobbing the hammer - why, to make it easier for your finger to slip?

They could be and probably are good smiths, but they're doing all this to capitalize on cool looking stuff that folks see in magazine pictures, particularly for umpteen hundreds of dollars on top of "customer supplied rifle".

If they rebarreled it and guaranteed that it would put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, they might be doing something. But then you'd have to sarcastically ask, "what lever rifle that puts three shots into 2" has failed to do what a short barreled lever rifle is meant to do?"

Spend the money saved on an air conditioned deer stand or custom spinners for the ATV wheels.
If I am spending that kind of coin then I am having a bolt gun built to fit me!!!
My rifle cost less than $525, maybe $700 if yo added a WWG trigger and DRC lever (not needed)

[Linked Image]

You also didn't say what caliber? You can get a 16" Stainless SDT 30-30 off gunbroker for less than $700, add your sights and big loop lever.
Though I love looking at those custom leverguns, I would never spend that much on a lever gun customization.

If a guy would take the time, he can do much of what they do himself and save the money. The actual parts that are added would cost basically the same, but there wouldn't be the labor charges.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure those guys do really nice work, but that is entirely too much for customization work.
Considering that is about the same cost to have a .50 Alaskan done, which involves lots of new parts, it seems awfully steep to me.
hell, I'd pay a grand just for the Sasquatch ammo holder.....
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That's a lot of fluff that doesn't make it a better hunting rifle than a guide gun out of the box. Or particularly when you can get an 1895SBL that already has half that stuff from the factory.

The action smoothing is nice to have, but you can smooth a new action in front of your TV - just work it. All the moving parts that touch automatically rub against each other and get smoothed.

"Modify loading gate for easier loading & unloading"? This is actually worthwhile as Marlin loading ports can be very sharp. But wth does the loading gate have to do with unloading? Bobbing the hammer - why, to make it easier for your finger to slip?

They could be and probably are good smiths, but they're doing all this to capitalize on cool looking stuff that folks see in magazine pictures, particularly for umpteen hundreds of dollars on top of "customer supplied rifle".

If they rebarreled it and guaranteed that it would put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, they might be doing something. But then you'd have to sarcastically ask, "what lever rifle that puts three shots into 2" has failed to do what a short barreled lever rifle is meant to do?"

Spend the money saved on an air conditioned deer stand or custom spinners for the ATV wheels.

I could not agree more! Let's see, that is over $1800 out the door. That's four used Marlins and a couple of boxes of ammo. What will a customized whiz bang do that our RC will not?

© 24hourcampfire