Print Thread
Hop To
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
For $1795.00 Grizzly will customize your 336 Marlin. Do you think it's worth the $$ to have this done?

Like to hear some opinions on this price and the list of custom work they offer for $1795.00

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lever_action_rifle_brush_hawg.html

Last edited by slg888; 09/14/09.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a whole lotta cash! I personally don't think its worth it.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Agreed.

Most of what they do either don't need doing, or can be done for less, IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a lot of fluff that doesn't make it a better hunting rifle than a guide gun out of the box. Or particularly when you can get an 1895SBL that already has half that stuff from the factory.

The action smoothing is nice to have, but you can smooth a new action in front of your TV - just work it. All the moving parts that touch automatically rub against each other and get smoothed.

"Modify loading gate for easier loading & unloading"? This is actually worthwhile as Marlin loading ports can be very sharp. But wth does the loading gate have to do with unloading? Bobbing the hammer - why, to make it easier for your finger to slip?

They could be and probably are good smiths, but they're doing all this to capitalize on cool looking stuff that folks see in magazine pictures, particularly for umpteen hundreds of dollars on top of "customer supplied rifle".

If they rebarreled it and guaranteed that it would put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, they might be doing something. But then you'd have to sarcastically ask, "what lever rifle that puts three shots into 2" has failed to do what a short barreled lever rifle is meant to do?"

Spend the money saved on an air conditioned deer stand or custom spinners for the ATV wheels.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If I am spending that kind of coin then I am having a bolt gun built to fit me!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My rifle cost less than $525, maybe $700 if yo added a WWG trigger and DRC lever (not needed)

[Linked Image]

You also didn't say what caliber? You can get a 16" Stainless SDT 30-30 off gunbroker for less than $700, add your sights and big loop lever.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/17/09.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Though I love looking at those custom leverguns, I would never spend that much on a lever gun customization.

If a guy would take the time, he can do much of what they do himself and save the money. The actual parts that are added would cost basically the same, but there wouldn't be the labor charges.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure those guys do really nice work, but that is entirely too much for customization work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Considering that is about the same cost to have a .50 Alaskan done, which involves lots of new parts, it seems awfully steep to me.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
hell, I'd pay a grand just for the Sasquatch ammo holder.....

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That's a lot of fluff that doesn't make it a better hunting rifle than a guide gun out of the box. Or particularly when you can get an 1895SBL that already has half that stuff from the factory.

The action smoothing is nice to have, but you can smooth a new action in front of your TV - just work it. All the moving parts that touch automatically rub against each other and get smoothed.

"Modify loading gate for easier loading & unloading"? This is actually worthwhile as Marlin loading ports can be very sharp. But wth does the loading gate have to do with unloading? Bobbing the hammer - why, to make it easier for your finger to slip?

They could be and probably are good smiths, but they're doing all this to capitalize on cool looking stuff that folks see in magazine pictures, particularly for umpteen hundreds of dollars on top of "customer supplied rifle".

If they rebarreled it and guaranteed that it would put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, they might be doing something. But then you'd have to sarcastically ask, "what lever rifle that puts three shots into 2" has failed to do what a short barreled lever rifle is meant to do?"

Spend the money saved on an air conditioned deer stand or custom spinners for the ATV wheels.

I could not agree more! Let's see, that is over $1800 out the door. That's four used Marlins and a couple of boxes of ammo. What will a customized whiz bang do that our RC will not?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.