Home
Posted By: stevey Winchester model 71 stainless - 10/24/10
I have a deluxe model 71 that is stainless with a gold hammer and trigger, I have looked everywhere to find information on it. As far as I can tell it was either done in Winchesters custom department or aftermarket. Does anyone know if it could be custom done by winchester? I have searched internet and many many guns shows and have never seen one like this. it has a serial number 32547.
My guess is that someone hard chromed it with a satin finish. When that finish is applied, it looks alot like stainless.
Posted By: Mak Re: Winchester model 71 stainless - 10/26/10
Winchester offered stainless steel barrels in the early 20th century, but never offered stainless steel receivers. If you have an original Winchester 71, it is possible that the finish is worn, and the high nickel content in the receiver has weathered to a satin gray. The gold trigger and hammer you speak of were not factory applied. By the time the 71 reached production in 1935, engraved and/or special finished, factory rifles were a thing of the past.
On the other hand, you could have a Browning reproduction of the 71. In high grade, these fine rifles came with a french gray receiver, engraved, high grade walnut stocks, and a gold plated trigger and hammer.
this is a winchester made in the early 50's according to the serial number, the reciever is definately nickel or stainless it is a deluxe model with the peep sights. I guess I forgot to ad the reciever is the only part that is nickel the barrel is blued
I do have pictures if someone can tell me how I could upload them
Go to the following link (in the "Photography" Forum on this website).

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...96239/How_to_post_your_photos#Post696239
here is a picture

[Linked Image]
To my eyes it looks like the receiver bluing has been polished off...nevertheless, it is a fine rifle.

My early fifties standard '71 likes 60 grs. of IMR4350 with a 200 gr. Hornady.
Posted By: Mak Re: Winchester model 71 stainless - 11/02/10
I can't tell 4 sure from the picture, but it appears that your rifle has been refinished. It was most likely at this time that the gold accents were added. The receiver may well be nickel plated, but if so, this again was not from the factory.
All in all, you have a gun that many would love to have. Enjoy it, just know the original gun was all blue, with a high polish on the receiver flats.
A little larger photo:

[Linked Image]

Higher resolution (1024x768) here:
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/stevey6/052.jpg

Just trying to help out.

-Bob F.
Posted By: Mak Re: Winchester model 71 stainless - 11/04/10
Will stick to my call.
Gun has been refinished. No doubt, its a great gun, but it is no longer original.
Originally Posted by Mak
Will stick to my call.
Gun has been refinished. No doubt, its a great gun, but it is no longer original.

You are probably right that is has been refinished, but it is very well done and a beautiful gun. It wont be sold from my collection so I guess I dont need to worry too much about the value.
thankyou all for the imput everyone has been helpful
© 24hourcampfire