Home
A local gun shop just got in a SS 45/70. It has the cross-bolt safety of course. I've almost gotten used to those things. It also has a "squeeze safety". The lever has to be squeezed pretty damn hard to depress a button that apparantly blocks the trigger. No way in hell would I ever buy one. I'm glad I bought my levers when I did. I still need a 357, it'll probably be a Rossi.
I have a few of the pre Remington Marlins and I hate that safety too. I changed every one of them with Clyde Ludwig's replacemt kit. Thanks...Bill.
TAK,
Do ya have ta do anything when the BS safety is in the fire position ta make the gun go bang besides squeeze the trigger?
Safeties....NEVER USE THE DAMN THINGS.....my gun's safeties are always in the fire position except when carrying a .45ACP Colt Gov'T model. Keep'em all loaded on an empty chamber until I'm ready ta go....Suggest ya do the same friend.

Flower Child
Do they still make the Rossi in 454?
My 1895G has a crossbolt safety, remove the buttstock, flip the safety to the off/ready to fire position, take small screwdriver and turn the safety screw in until it stops, replace buttstock, safety is now inoperable and the you use it just like the presafety guns with the hammer at halfcock. As for the squeeze safety, something must be up if you have to squeeze the lever hard as mine is smooth as silk, you just close the lever and it's ready to rock, no squeezing, it's a 2009 edition 1895G.
Why take anything apart to make the saftey not work. Very simple get a O-Ring that fits in the groove in the saftey, cost you maybe 15 cents at the hardware store.
Why mess with an o-ring falling off when you can pull one screw and the stock, put the stock on and install the screw and make it locked down, costs zero cents and about 2 mins of time.

I know the o-ring works and works well, I just locked mine down. Either way is perfectly fine.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
remove the buttstock, flip the safety to the off/ready to fire position, take small screwdriver and turn the safety screw in until it stops, replace buttstock, safety is now inoperable and the you use it just like the presafety guns with the hammer at halfcock.

Same procedure I used. Reversible, and the O-ring won't come off. Takes less time than going to the store to get an O-ring, which I kept forgetting about while looking at all the other crap....
Originally Posted by Flower_Child
TAK,
Do ya have ta do anything when the BS safety is in the fire position ta make the gun go bang besides squeeze the trigger?
Safeties....

Flower Child

YES, you have to squeeze the hell out of the lever against the pistol grip. I couldn't believe it.

I've been told that Davidsons is doing a run of 39TDS in lam/SS this year. I was all fired up to get one until I saw this crap.
Is this in addition to the normal trigger block that every Marlin has always had?

I'm very curious about this - got any pictures?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Is this in addition to the normal trigger block that every Marlin has always had?

Yes, this is in addition to the reciever cross bolt. No pics, I handled the thing in a gun store last Friday.
Marlin has purt neart always had a trigger lock safety under the lever like a winchester.
Yes, not talking about the new push button safety on the receiver - that is a fairly recent addition - but the physical trigger block that is right behind the trigger. As the lever comes up, that part of it that forms the back of the trigger guard pushes up on a little tab which in turn raises the bar blocking the trigger so it can be pulled. It's a simple device to insure that the trigger cannot be pulled unless the lever is fully closed.

The 336 and 1894 have had that device since forever. So has the Model 94 Winchester as you mention.

Here is a picture of it. You can see the little tab that the lever pushes on and that little blocking bar just behind the trigger. That's actually one piece held in place by a pin and spring.

[Linked Image]
I think that has been a part of levergun design since they graduated from the basic Henry design. Keeps a gun from going off with the bolt out of battery unless there's a big problem with the firing pin.
The trigger block is on my 1976 336 and on my pre'64 Winchester 30WCF, nothing new there.
Posted By: bcp Re: Marlin has Screwed the Pooch - 12/27/10
Maybe the hard closing is a fault in the lever locking plunger, in the lever right in front of the trigger.

Attached picture 336lever.jpg
I own a Guide Gun. You can close the lever and it will stay closed. This Guide Gun I picked up in a gun store has a lever that will not stay closed unless you squeeze the bastard closed with your hand. You let go of it, and the lever springs away from the stock a 1/4in or so.
Send it back. It needs some attention. My 1950s vintage M336SC has that "lever closed in order to fire" feature, as do all other M336s and M94 Winchesters I've ever seen.
I doubt it is a new safety feature, probably crappy fit from the factory. I think there have been some problems with the Remington manufacture Marlins.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
My 1895G has a crossbolt safety, remove the buttstock, flip the safety to the off/ready to fire position, take small screwdriver and turn the safety screw in until it stops, replace buttstock, safety is now inoperable and the you use it just like the presafety guns with the hammer at halfcock. As for the squeeze safety, something must be up if you have to squeeze the lever hard as mine is smooth as silk, you just close the lever and it's ready to rock, no squeezing, it's a 2009 edition 1895G.
Bearcat, does the safety stay in place once you have the screw all the way down? I've got a buddy that has a GG and he took the safety out and put in a shunt, at least that's what he called it. Ever hear of that??
AkMtnHntr, yes, when you tighten the screw down the safety will not move. There are kits that will replace the crossbolt saftey, I just chose not to.
since when did remington start producing them at their plant in New York?
© 24hourcampfire