Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
A local gun shop just got in a SS 45/70. It has the cross-bolt safety of course. I've almost gotten used to those things. It also has a "squeeze safety". The lever has to be squeezed pretty damn hard to depress a button that apparantly blocks the trigger. No way in hell would I ever buy one. I'm glad I bought my levers when I did. I still need a 357, it'll probably be a Rossi.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a few of the pre Remington Marlins and I hate that safety too. I changed every one of them with Clyde Ludwig's replacemt kit. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TAK,
Do ya have ta do anything when the BS safety is in the fire position ta make the gun go bang besides squeeze the trigger?
Safeties....NEVER USE THE DAMN THINGS.....my gun's safeties are always in the fire position except when carrying a .45ACP Colt Gov'T model. Keep'em all loaded on an empty chamber until I'm ready ta go....Suggest ya do the same friend.

Flower Child

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do they still make the Rossi in 454?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My 1895G has a crossbolt safety, remove the buttstock, flip the safety to the off/ready to fire position, take small screwdriver and turn the safety screw in until it stops, replace buttstock, safety is now inoperable and the you use it just like the presafety guns with the hammer at halfcock. As for the squeeze safety, something must be up if you have to squeeze the lever hard as mine is smooth as silk, you just close the lever and it's ready to rock, no squeezing, it's a 2009 edition 1895G.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why take anything apart to make the saftey not work. Very simple get a O-Ring that fits in the groove in the saftey, cost you maybe 15 cents at the hardware store.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Why mess with an o-ring falling off when you can pull one screw and the stock, put the stock on and install the screw and make it locked down, costs zero cents and about 2 mins of time.

I know the o-ring works and works well, I just locked mine down. Either way is perfectly fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
remove the buttstock, flip the safety to the off/ready to fire position, take small screwdriver and turn the safety screw in until it stops, replace buttstock, safety is now inoperable and the you use it just like the presafety guns with the hammer at halfcock.

Same procedure I used. Reversible, and the O-ring won't come off. Takes less time than going to the store to get an O-ring, which I kept forgetting about while looking at all the other crap....

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Flower_Child
TAK,
Do ya have ta do anything when the BS safety is in the fire position ta make the gun go bang besides squeeze the trigger?
Safeties....

Flower Child

YES, you have to squeeze the hell out of the lever against the pistol grip. I couldn't believe it.

I've been told that Davidsons is doing a run of 39TDS in lam/SS this year. I was all fired up to get one until I saw this crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this in addition to the normal trigger block that every Marlin has always had?

I'm very curious about this - got any pictures?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Is this in addition to the normal trigger block that every Marlin has always had?

Yes, this is in addition to the reciever cross bolt. No pics, I handled the thing in a gun store last Friday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlin has purt neart always had a trigger lock safety under the lever like a winchester.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, not talking about the new push button safety on the receiver - that is a fairly recent addition - but the physical trigger block that is right behind the trigger. As the lever comes up, that part of it that forms the back of the trigger guard pushes up on a little tab which in turn raises the bar blocking the trigger so it can be pulled. It's a simple device to insure that the trigger cannot be pulled unless the lever is fully closed.

The 336 and 1894 have had that device since forever. So has the Model 94 Winchester as you mention.

Here is a picture of it. You can see the little tab that the lever pushes on and that little blocking bar just behind the trigger. That's actually one piece held in place by a pin and spring.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that has been a part of levergun design since they graduated from the basic Henry design. Keeps a gun from going off with the bolt out of battery unless there's a big problem with the firing pin.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The trigger block is on my 1976 336 and on my pre'64 Winchester 30WCF, nothing new there.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the hard closing is a fault in the lever locking plunger, in the lever right in front of the trigger.

Attached Images
336lever.jpg (14.65 KB, 707 downloads)
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I own a Guide Gun. You can close the lever and it will stay closed. This Guide Gun I picked up in a gun store has a lever that will not stay closed unless you squeeze the bastard closed with your hand. You let go of it, and the lever springs away from the stock a 1/4in or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Send it back. It needs some attention. My 1950s vintage M336SC has that "lever closed in order to fire" feature, as do all other M336s and M94 Winchesters I've ever seen.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I doubt it is a new safety feature, probably crappy fit from the factory. I think there have been some problems with the Remington manufacture Marlins.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
My 1895G has a crossbolt safety, remove the buttstock, flip the safety to the off/ready to fire position, take small screwdriver and turn the safety screw in until it stops, replace buttstock, safety is now inoperable and the you use it just like the presafety guns with the hammer at halfcock. As for the squeeze safety, something must be up if you have to squeeze the lever hard as mine is smooth as silk, you just close the lever and it's ready to rock, no squeezing, it's a 2009 edition 1895G.
Bearcat, does the safety stay in place once you have the screw all the way down? I've got a buddy that has a GG and he took the safety out and put in a shunt, at least that's what he called it. Ever hear of that??

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,578
Posts18,473,324
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.