Home
Posted By: humdinger POS truck pictures wanted - 04/22/10
The old guy I lease my hunting land to was helping me hang wood duck boxes last weekend and he came over in the most rusty toyota 4x4 I had seen. It had a flat bed, tail lights wired on, no mirrors, the door sheet metal flapped loose, and the frame had rust holes in it. I'm surprised it made the 35 miles over, but it has 265K miles and they keep it around. He figures it is as light as one of those 2 person ATV's because there is little metal left. I was actually impressed with it because that light pickup went in spots where my 1/2 ton chevy would have sunk to the axle. I wish I had taken a picture of it to post.

So... does anyone have a good beater picture to post of hunting trucks that fit this class?
Posted By: cdhunt Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/22/10
Nope!!!!Don't have anything that classy.
Come on guys - we all know you have a real hunting truck in your past that is so ugly that you are proud to show it off! Unlike the ugly prom date or groomsmen/ugly bridesmaid pictures we have in our past.
I would post my 196? scout 800 picture if it wasn't packed away from last move. What a beast - facory installed snowplow, 345 v-8, locking front and rear differentials, had the full cab and half cab too. Fun to drive and plow with when it would run. The rusted out body panels were filled in with "energy absorbing material" otherwise known as yellow home spray-in insulation or "touch foam".
The other claim to fame is it was the same international scout that Burt Reynolds drove in Deliverance...

Bring on those ugly trucks!
Posted By: HOOKER Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/23/10
POS ?
Naaa but she is ugly
[Linked Image]
That's my trunk monkey slash deer skinner slash midget driver at the wheel

Pat
Not a POS but it does not have one straight piece of sheet metal on it. My 86 Ranger, 302, Holly projection, aod trans, 456 gears, detroit locker in the rear end, trac lock in the front, 35" BFG mudders, 4" suspension lift, 2" body lift. Custom bumpers and skid plates. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That might be..... no.... IS the coolest Ford Ranger I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing the pics and data!
Posted By: tzone Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/23/10
I don't know if I can find any pictures of my 04 Tahoe, but that was a POS!!!
Oh yea... I'm feeling the love guys! I wish I could edit the title to say POS or UGLY trucks to get some traffic here.

Awesome ranger there Roadrunner. Did you use a shoe horn to get that 302 in there???
And Hooker - everyone needs a trunk monkey to help them shovel out from a bad "almost stuck" mud hole. Thats why my pickup carries 3 shovels so everyone can share in the fun!

Keep them coming. Maybe we'll have a poll for the ugly truck if this picks up steam.
Posted By: tzone Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/23/10
Far from a POS, this is a heck of a good running rig. 1978 F-150, 351M/4 speed, Edelbrock 4bbl carb/intake set up, some type of aftermarket headers. Body is rough, but that will change soon enough.

[Linked Image][/img]

Have a 2" susp. lift waiting, a better cab, and looking for a box. Steering, suspension will be new or dang close, motor runs like a top, but may put a 390 in it. It will be my hunting/fishing rig. I want it built for reliability, not drag racing. Some areas I hunt are 7-8 hour one way trips.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/23/10
This truck right now....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: oulufinn Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/25/10
Here's an old 'yota that just keeps chuggin'. I keep it at the lease in the Panhandle & don't drive it much, since I got the 4x4 Dodge Cummins (Pre-obama motors..) I should probably sell it, but if it rains a lot up there that red dirt gets a little sporty with the bigger rigs. Even on the county roads!

It's sporting a bit of rattle can camo lately.

[Linked Image]

A little February snow in DFW.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by safariman
That might be..... no.... IS the coolest Ford Ranger I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing the pics and data!

Here it is before most of the dents grin It "had" 3" cut out fender flairs on it at one time, they didnt like the rocks to well. Here it is on a ramp travel index with 33" tires, no body lift and stock 2.9l v6.

[Linked Image]

I think these were taken at Salton Sea CAL at the Tierra Del Sol run. Remember, that is a 33" tire stuffed in the rear wheel well! laugh

[Linked Image]
Most of these rides look fairly healthy. Mine doesn't look so good today.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Here's an old 'yota that just keeps chuggin'. I keep it at the lease in the Panhandle & don't drive it much, since I got the 4x4 Dodge Cummins (Pre-obama motors..) I should probably sell it, but if it rains a lot up there that red dirt gets a little sporty with the bigger rigs. Even on the county roads!

It's sporting a bit of rattle can camo lately.

[Linked Image]

That toyota is in good shape by Minnesota standards! That is about the same year as my Lease guys, but the Minnesota road salt has ate most of the truck.
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
Originally Posted by safariman

Here it is before most of the dents grin It "had" 3" cut out fender flairs on it at one time, they didnt like the rocks to well. Here it is on a ramp travel index with 33" tires, no body lift and stock 2.9l v6.

[Linked Image]

I think these were taken at Salton Sea CAL at the Tierra Del Sol run. Remember, that is a 33" tire stuffed in the rear wheel well! laugh

[Linked Image]

Nice suspension articulation!
Tzone,
I think the 78-79 fords were the nicest looking trucks they made to date! Nice project.
H
Originally Posted by Tom264
This truck right now....

[Linked Image]

Huh? Not happy with that F'N 350?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 04/26/10
Originally Posted by humdinger
This truck right now....

[Linked Image]

Huh? Not happy with that F'N 350?
Love the truck hate the engine.
the 6.0 should been an ABORTION...
Posted By: Tom264 Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/10/10
This truck right now....

[Linked Image]
Gone...................yay!
its gone.......
you going to get into another truck or is the expy the replacement?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/11/10
For now I will be driving the wifes old expo and she gets the new one.

Probably next year I will get a excursion or another superduty.....with no 6.0
Posted By: tzone Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/11/10
Whatch-u gettin'? New Scorpian 6.7?

Sorry, i didn't read further down.
Heres a pic of the new one.

[Linked Image]
Pretty shiny.
shmooooth. grin

looks like a machinegun should pop out of the roof!

bad azz!

grin
Lol, yeah

I'm worried she might get picked up by some dashing man. grin
Posted By: JJHACK Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/11/10
MIne is 33 years old, some minor rust, but otherwise a perfectly functional off road/hunting machine. I don't think this original Fj40 model has ever been improved upon for off pavement travel. After all it's the only 100% stock vehicle to ever win the Baja 1000.

It's going in for body off paint and rust repair next week. 6-8 weeks away from home! However it will have a like new body, and the underside will be linex'ed too!

Just a puny 256 Ci straight six, 4 speed, and ARB in the rear ( hopefully the front too before the snow falls!) I need to add Power steering as well someday soon.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JPro Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/11/10
I dig the old 4x4 iron and the FJ's are pretty damn cool.
Originally Posted by JJHACK
MIne is 33 years old, some minor rust, but otherwise a perfectly functional off road/hunting machine. I don't think this original Fj40 model has ever been improved upon for off pavement travel. After all it's the only 100% stock vehicle to ever win the Baja 1000.

It's going in for body off paint and rust repair next week. 6-8 weeks away from home! However it will have a like new body, and the underside will be linex'ed too!

Just a puny 256 Ci straight six, 4 speed, and ARB in the rear ( hopefully the front too before the snow falls!) I need to add Power steering as well someday soon.

[Linked Image]

you posted that in the wrong thread!

Posted By: 7 STW Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/11/10
No doubt.Sweet rig JJ.
You don't get much cooler than a stock FJ that that is still bad azz. I dig it.
Posted By: den57 Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/15/10
OLD SOB...... Old School Oil Burner,

'84 Silverado Suburban, 6.2 N/A diesel 700R4HD/OD, 4.10 gears, 16 mpg around town, 20mpg on the highway....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJD Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/16/10
Here's mine. Our weather is such that it's nice to go into the woods topless. Not completely stock, but as my then 16 year old son (who got to do most of the driving) said. Real men build their own jeeps. It was a fun project for us.

[Linked Image]
wow awesome.

I really want an early 50's era willys just to keep out at deer camp & cruise the trails with out there blueberry picking, grouse hunting or what ever. Matbe someday.

Jeez that "burbon" seems to be in amazing shape too!
Reminds me of my buddy's bone stock low mileage 1990 crew F350 that we took elk hunting a couple years ago.

Posted By: den57 Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/16/10
"Jeez that "burbon" seems to be in amazing shape too!"....

It has a couple of place's that will need attention soon. Just surface stuff though. Picked it up in Or. where they don't salt the roads like they do here in Indiana. Still has the factory AM-FM casette that works.....
Posted By: rattler Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/16/10
[Linked Image]

think it meets the 400 square inches of orange for rifle season?

my wife thinks i need to completely strip it and re do it completely with a nice paint job and such.....thinking if im gonna go through all that work i want to do it to a CJ7....been looking at some of the rattle can paint jobs that some have done with the Krylon camo spray paints that actually come out nice....easy to touch up....i view the thing as a big ATV more than anything and cant see fixing it up nice given its intended to be hosed out after playing in the mud and gonna get scratched to hell in the brush....
Posted By: AJD Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/17/10
Nice CJ!

Been there done that, well not in Montana.

As I am sure you are aware, the 7's have more stability. If I were going to "do" one, I would find a good 7. JMTCW.

Posted By: tzone Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/17/10
Well that didn't take long....to get her stuck anyway. grin

Now you got it broke in right.
Posted By: rattler Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/17/10
yep, 7's have longer wheel base and more room in the cab.....rather have one of those to do up nice as a daily driver.....to me the 5 is just a big ATV that im gonna beat the hell out of.....though i would much rather have a 7 this 5 popped up for a damn good price for the condition and i figured i could get that much fun dollar wise out of it before it snows.....however i have a couple parts to replace in the 4wd system before i try the mud again crazy grin
Posted By: JJHACK Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/17/10
If you're gonna be in the market for a 7 don't count out the FJ40. It's the Icon of world wide off road vehicles. I owned a CJ5 for a lot of years, and I've owned several FJ 45's and this 40 I have now. I would not choose a Cj7 over an FJ40 if they were apples to apples equiped. The Fj is built with much a much stronger drive train and much heavier frame and body. A basic stock Fj is close to 4000lbs! It is a very heavy duty rig. Probably why they are in such high demand.

On the other hand a 77-79Cj 7 would be Smog exempt in most states and will have PS and PB. Also the fiberglass top will not have any rust!
all in all JJ i cant argue with yah other than i just like my Jeeps.....aint got alot to do with logic or comparing apples to apples, just have always liked the CJ's.....
Posted By: JJHACK Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/17/10
My CJ was the greatest level of Off road and mechanical education in my life. I learned more about breaking stuff on that Cj from stupid childish cosmetic stuff then I ever thought possible.

Putting on 36" tires, then losing my power, Swapping the engine to a 350Chevy V8, to get more power, ( not the answer) Destroying ring gears, lowering R&P gears to get the power, but still having only 1 in front and 1 in back turn, then adding lockers, then destroying steering knuckles, tie rods, U joints, Shocks, etc. You name it that Jeep was a never ending source of repair education. All this stuff looks good and probably makes you think it's good, but put those bigger then factory tires with open diffs under pressure and what the metal fly!

If anyone thinks they have it figured out cause the new 37+" tires on the truck works good and never breaks, well then I suggest they have never really used it "off road" If you have never had only one front and one rear on the ground with the frame high centered then your in for a treat to see all that money do nothing while you have two tires spinning in the air and the two with traction sit motionless!

None of it the fault of "JEEP" but rather the lack of experience and education of a mid 20's kid that loved to tinker. What came about all this "education" was that tires over 33-35" and wider then 12.5" are more trouble then they are worth unless massive expense is put into the drive train. Much better to keep something in the 33-35" range and just add ARB lockers. Anything more then 4-6" of suspension lift also requires a hella lotta drive train work for the angles and shat lengths.

My dad said to me when was fooling with this stuff " Ya know, Automotive engineers spend millions developing new vehicles that you cannot break if left alone and used with good sense. What makes you think you're smarter then all these people with all their experience and research dollars?

Hmmm Yea, the old man was pretty much right on that. I spent a lot of money on "tuition" learning how to destroy and repair stuff during that time. Not all bad, but I was not as clever as I thought.

Just as an example I had 40X17's on 15" wheels with a 488:1 ratio. Worked good for a month, then the front Drive shaft U joints exploded under torque. Had to have custom shafts made. Then I was having a lot of stress stopping when the front drums were wet. Swapped to Disk, then the wheels would not clear the rotors, swapped the wheels for more Offset, then the front axle seals leaked from too much flex, When that was fixed by welding in braces, I would frequently spin the wheel inside the tire with the HP of the 350V8 and then go flat.

Never ending crap! ARB Air lockers are the single best off road investment you can buy. Not lift kits, big tires or more HP. Getting all 4 tires to actually provide power to the ground is the best thing you can do to a 4x4!
He**, the top probably weighs 1000lbs. I have spent a lot of time in both, nothing wrong with an FJ but give me a real jeep.

Ask anyone that was there and they'll tell you, the ole willis won WWII all by itself.
Posted By: JPro Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/17/10
I've learned a lot over the past few years watching my old man and his little beater single cab Tacoma. He lifted it enough to stuff some P-Mudders (old Gateway bias ply)in the fenders and we mounted a used Warn 8000 in the front. We don't have much here in the way of rocks or hills, so that lightweight bugger takes us nearly anywhere, even with open diffs. If it ain't heavy, a good 31-33" mud tire (Swamper, Gateway, etc) will get a rig around nicely in our muddy stuff without breaking parts. This means soggy logging roads, trails, pipelines, not "swamp riding". I've seen a lot of local folks run AT's for warm weather and then put on the old humming and vibrating mud tires for hunting season.
I guess that was what I was trying to say. Mine don't weigh much, means it's sorta floats around on top with out sinking so quickly. Besides when you have to "lift" it out, it ain't so heavy. The big tires and light weight works well in these climes.
Originally Posted by JJHACK
My CJ was the greatest level of Off road and mechanical education in my life. I learned more about breaking stuff on that Cj from stupid childish cosmetic stuff then I ever thought possible.

Putting on 36" tires, then losing my power, Swapping the engine to a 350Chevy V8, to get more power, ( not the answer) Destroying ring gears, lowering R&P gears to get the power, but still having only 1 in front and 1 in back turn, then adding lockers, then destroying steering knuckles, tie rods, U joints, Shocks, etc. You name it that Jeep was a never ending source of repair education. All this stuff looks good and probably makes you think it's good, but put those bigger then factory tires with open diffs under pressure and what the metal fly!

If anyone thinks they have it figured out cause the new 37+" tires on the truck works good and never breaks, well then I suggest they have never really used it "off road" If you have never had only one front and one rear on the ground with the frame high centered then your in for a treat to see all that money do nothing while you have two tires spinning in the air and the two with traction sit motionless!

None of it the fault of "JEEP" but rather the lack of experience and education of a mid 20's kid that loved to tinker. What came about all this "education" was that tires over 33-35" and wider then 12.5" are more trouble then they are worth unless massive expense is put into the drive train. Much better to keep something in the 33-35" range and just add ARB lockers. Anything more then 4-6" of suspension lift also requires a hella lotta drive train work for the angles and shat lengths.

My dad said to me when was fooling with this stuff " Ya know, Automotive engineers spend millions developing new vehicles that you cannot break if left alone and used with good sense. What makes you think you're smarter then all these people with all their experience and research dollars?

Hmmm Yea, the old man was pretty much right on that. I spent a lot of money on "tuition" learning how to destroy and repair stuff during that time. Not all bad, but I was not as clever as I thought.

Just as an example I had 40X17's on 15" wheels with a 488:1 ratio. Worked good for a month, then the front Drive shaft U joints exploded under torque. Had to have custom shafts made. Then I was having a lot of stress stopping when the front drums were wet. Swapped to Disk, then the wheels would not clear the rotors, swapped the wheels for more Offset, then the front axle seals leaked from too much flex, When that was fixed by welding in braces, I would frequently spin the wheel inside the tire with the HP of the 350V8 and then go flat.

Never ending crap! ARB Air lockers are the single best off road investment you can buy. Not lift kits, big tires or more HP. Getting all 4 tires to actually provide power to the ground is the best thing you can do to a 4x4!

really dont disagree with much of any of this.......on the Jeep forum ive been skimming through alot of guys complain how unreliable CJ's like my late 70's 5 and the 7's are......thats not my experience....the 258's and 232's are pretty reliable so long as you dont go crazy on mods....the guys that stick to no to 2 inch lifts, maybe jump tires from 31's to 33's and leave the engine pretty much alone generally have few problems......those that go nuts like you did are always breaking stuff....

i aint going crazy with the suspension or any of that though like you mentioned i am thinking bout lockers for just the reason you talked about, prolly wouldnt have gotten stuck in the above pic had i been able to lock the back axle....might lift it a tad and go with the lil bit bigger tires but most the work im gonna do to the thing is gonna be inside the "cab".....going to extend the roll bar to a cage, mainly for use as shooting rests with the top off and windshield down for gophers.....new more comfortable seats, some stuff like that....
Posted By: AJD Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/18/10
I did a 2" lift and put 33x12.5's on it. It's made it through a teen age son and his pals. Its been done about 11 years or so. I have not had a problem other than going through an occasional U joint on the drive shafts. But then we don't abuse it. Engine except for the air filter is a stock original engine 258. I do have the dana 300 transfer case which is supposed to be the one that is bullet proof. Mine is an 82 W/a 4 speed and was cherry when I got it.

I forgot, when I did the lift, I did replace the springs and shocks.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/18/10
I could remove the Fiberglass top with another person and carry it to set it down. I don't think the CJ7 top could weigh more then 300lbs, more likely 200? It was awkward to balance, but not out of the question to lift and move. It is much lighter then the canopy for my Pickup.
I don't know what a Jeep CJ top would weigh, I've only had some canvas on mine. I was talking about the weight of the FJ top.
No the Fj is light, and comes off in sections, it's not all one piece. The Fj top is lighter then the CJ top, fiberglass is heavier then steel. ( going by my experience with fiberglass boats VS Aluminum boats) The only part of the Fj that is fiberglass is the actual top surface. The sides are metal.

I've never weighted them both but I've lifted them of with another person. The Fj would be more if you somehow left the rear doors connected, but the top itself is not heavy. The front doors are about the same. The FJ rear doors are heavier then the Cj tail gate, but then the whole rear design is hard to compare as they are nothing alike.

I think the Fiberglass roof that was engineered on the cj7 was a brilliant design. It's quiet, rust proof, weatherproof, and about as perfect a fit and function as possible. One of the best designs going to this day!

On a side note, the American Military owned the Willys design and many Manufacturers made them during the war. They handed this over to the Japanese, namely Toyota to build them "Jeeps" for the American fleet in Asia. The Toyota Land Cruiser is what came out of this. It was built from the design parameters of the American Willys MJ. They decided to add an enclosure for inclement weather which is how the orignal Japanese"BJ" (the first of the Japanese models that had a hard top. When the Japanese Engineers drove it to Check point 6 up Mt. Fuji the furthest a wheeled vehicle had ever travelled back in the early 50's it became rather famous. Few people know that the concept of design was the American Willys Military design parameters.

Not a coincidence that they look so much alike, and that Chevrolet provided the straight 6 for many of them too!
If I am not mistaken Ford supplied a lot of the engines, perhaps even the 258, can't remember for sure. Jeep outsourced IIRC many of it's parts during the long run of manufacture.

Well, as you said the Willys or Jeep is the original, everything else is a copy. Not to say it couldn't be better or improved in different ways, but still a wannabe.
Posted By: rattler Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/18/10
pretty sure Jeep made the 232 and 258.....do know Buick made the V6 that came before the I6 232 and 258's
Thanks, I was thinking Ford manufactured those engines for AMC.
im pretty sure those I6's were manufactured by AMC....cant tell yah on the 4's or V8's for sure and i know they traded designs and engines back and forth with Buick before the 258 became the standard option which is why if yah cant find a power steering box for most the 70's CJ's you can rob one out of a handful of Buicks grin
I believe you to be correct. I think Buick made or Jeep used the Buick engine prior to the I-6.
Posted By: tzone Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/18/10
I don't know about the engines, but there are a fair amount of Ford parts on the older Jeeps.
given they made the various CJ models for 42 years plus all their other various things wouldnt surprise me if they branched out getting parts from several makers.....just know for sure that they bought rights to Buicks V6 in 65 before switching to the I6's in 72....
The willys MJ were made well prior to the CJ, the first Landcruisers were made in the early 50's and the first sold in the USA were in 1958, So it's a tough call to decide which came first the CJ5 or the FJ Cruiser. Both evolved at exactly the same time from the MJ willys!

Chevy, ford, dodge, and even International Harvester all made the willys jeeps at the same time to keep up with demand during the war, some made only engines, some drive trains, and some complete vehicles. It's why Toyota was involved to provide production in Asia for the "MJ" Or the "toyota" version. These preceded the Cj5 when Jeep was it's own company. The original Military Toyota design was the BJ which changed to the FJ when the contract was up. A mirror to the way the CJ was born. I doubt that one came before the other. They were both made at the same time for the war.

As you probably know the MJ was " military jeep" the CJ was "civilian Jeep"

The Land cruiser "FJ" name- the J is for Jeep as requested by the US military, the first letter is for which type- hard top, gas, diesel, soft top etc.

So in this case everything after MJ is a wanna be, cause they all came at about the same time,
yep i realize that JJ, was figuring for the sake of this discussion and whos parts are on what Jeep we were talking bout the CJ's and not the MJ's.....such as the CJ5's using the Buick V6 from 65 to 72 though i think AMC had a V6 as an option during those years aswell or atleast during some of them, i think they called it the Hurricane or something?
Posted By: AJD Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/19/10
I thought Toyota was on the "other" side during the war. How can they possibly lay claim to the birth of the Jeep?
Posted By: JJHACK Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/19/10
Reread the posts, never said the Toyota laid that "claim" I said exactly the opposite!

The US Military owned the design of the MJ Jeep( just as they do the Military Hummers). They contracted with anyone they chose to build them. One of the companies was Toyota. Just as I clearly wrote, they contracted Toyota to build jeeps for them for use in Asia. The FJ cruiser is what was spawned from that contract. Just like all the CJ models that followed the Mj

Kinda like the H2 and H3 being spawned from the Military H1
Posted By: AJD Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/19/10
And as I previously stated, the front of mine says Jeep, I believe the front of the FJ says Toyota. The lineage started with Willys in WWII, I don't see the name of Toyota on that list. After the war, WWII, Willys had the rights to Jeep and passed it on to AMC and on to Chysler. Everything else is not a Jeep. Although folks want to think they have a jeep, they have a wannabe.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: POS truck pictures wanted - 05/19/10
Wow this is way off track, not interested in the direction so carry on without me!
© 24hourcampfire