Home
Posted By: northern_dave aftermarket bumpers? - 01/12/11
hey guys, I whacked a deer really good last week.

07 f150

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's drivable and scheduled to go to the body shop at the end of the month. just enough time to order a better bumper.

I'm looking at ranch hand summit bullnose like this:

[Linked Image]

I'm seriously considering ordering this chromed plastic upper from summit racing:

[Linked Image]

then getting the ranch hand summit bullnose (which would come powder coat black) and painting it to match the body color of the truck.

That way my chrome upper would tie in with the headlights/lariat grill, and the fender flares would come down past the chrome upper and tie in with the color matched aftermarket bumper...

It works in my head anyways lol!

Any thoughts? opinions? other suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted By: Eremicus Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/12/11
Have a desert rat buddy that is into custom front bumpers. His are all made extra long so his angle of attack matches his angle of departure on his pickup. For going down into and up out of gullies and streams w/o getting hung up.
I recall something about a bumper that was extra strong/heavy iron and very firmly mounted on the frame. Something like the one on my Jeep Wrangler.
The other thing that I've come to appreciate on my Wrangler are the bolted on, plastic end knobs that are designed to break off instead of bending the whole bumper.
So, suggest you check out a Wrangler for bumper design ideas. E
Posted By: badger Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
You could do a lot worse than RanchHand. Their stuff is very stout.......
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Buckstop bumpers

http://www.buckstop.biz/ford.html
Posted By: 7 STW Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Chitty deal on your new truck Dave.Yup likin the bumper your scouting out.Looks tough.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Thanks guys

Hey crowhunter, I checked out the buckstop, they are cool but a bit pricy.

I think I'm going with the ranch hand summit bullnose unit.

This one.

[Linked Image]

Then the chrome upper valance like I showed in my original post, and I'm changing my grille to this one.

[Linked Image]

I may re-powder coat the bullnose bumper a textured silver or i may leave it black. We'll see what it looks like black first.

Posted By: Pete E Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Dave,

If you've going to the trouble of fitting a heavy duty bumper, have you considered fitting a electric winch at the same time?

Not sure how much use you'd have for one, but looking at the winter conditions you guys get, it may be good insurance down the line..

Regards,

Peter

Posted By: Eremicus Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
I've done the electric wench on two of my 4WD's. I found them alot more useful for things other than getting me out. Frankly, a High Lift Jack, a good shovel and a pair of good leather work gloves work better in many situations where you are stuck. E
Posted By: Pete E Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've done the electric wench on two of my 4WD's. I found them alot more useful for things other than getting me out. Frankly, a High Lift Jack, a good shovel and a pair of good leather work gloves work better in many situations where you are stuck. E

Its sad to say, but its surprising how many so called off roaders are not compatible with high lift jacks anymore.. Its a real shame as high lift jacks are a great bit of kit and as you infer can be used as a winch at a push..
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Originally Posted by Pete E

Its sad to say, but its surprising how many so called off roaders are not compatible with high lift jacks anymore.. Its a real shame as high lift jacks are a great bit of kit and as you infer can be used as a winch at a push..

I don't know what you are talking about... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/14/11
Dave, your selection looks pretty good. However, you might need the lift kit and tires also, lol... The only thing which can happen with the big strong bumpers is when you hit a deer, you don't break off things like you did, but rather you bend the frame and/or spread the wreck all the way across the front of the truck. Just something to think about. Post some pictures when you get it done.
Posted By: dubePA Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/15/11
He cheated! Looks like a Rem Oil can laying there in the snow.

Guy at my gun club has a new Chebby Z71 pretty much identical to mine. Last week he showed me the new 10,000lb Warn that fits in the rear Class III hitch and the hitch socket he had installed on the front. IIRC, he said it has 100' of cable.

Asked him if he'd had to use it yet. Said he'd already pulled out one stuck ATV up at his hunting camp and one truck that had slid into the ditch when the gravel roads were icy.

Pretty slick set up, has a handle on both sides to move it, said it weighs close to 100 lbs.
Posted By: KDK Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/16/11
I've done the electric wench on two of my 4WD's. I found them alot more useful for things other than getting me out.

Probably, but I don't think my girlfriend would be cool with me having a wench in the truck! smile
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by dubePA
He cheated! Looks like a Rem Oil can laying there in the snow.

yep, the pins were sticking on the jack, glad I had the rem oil in the truck.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/15/11
The bumper I'm getting should look something like this. If it ever comes.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/15/11
Hilift jacks are worth gold, but never go out without a can of WD40 with you. If they get dry and dirty, you just might get it up but not be able to get it back down. A quick spray usually fixes everything.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/15/11
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
you just might get it up but not be able to get it back down.

The comercials I've seen on TV say to seek medical attention if that lasts much over an hour...

grin

Posted By: Tonk Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/18/11
Dave that bumper looks nice but will NOT protect either of your fenders should you collide with another deer. You might want to check out those Texas Bumpers which do protect the entire front of the truck.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/18/11
That bumper on your Lariat would be killer Dave.I like that.Pretty dam beefy.Deer look out.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/18/11
Originally Posted by Tonk
Dave that bumper looks nice but will NOT protect either of your fenders should you collide with another deer. You might want to check out those Texas Bumpers which do protect the entire front of the truck.

This one ships out of texas like most of em do tonk.

I have no such hopes as to avoid body work after a deer hit. my goal is to be able to drive the truck after a nasty critter hit rather than to be walking home.

Posted By: Pete E Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/18/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I have no such hopes as to avoid body work after a deer hit. my goal is to be able to drive the truck after a nasty critter hit rather than to be walking home.

The trick is hitting smaller deer! grin

[Linked Image]

Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/18/11
that looks delicious... grin

mmm, radiator jerky...
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/18/11
I have a Ranch hand rear bumper but I got a front end replacement from Mark's Machine in Boerne TX. I think they are called tough country or something like that. I have 3 deer, 3 turkeys, 1 antelope and dozens of trees that I have hit with it so far. Only one that damaged it was the antelope. It went under and bent the skirt up a little. The back bumper has saved me a lot of times too. I have a long box crew cab and turning around in the woods can be dicey- I just back until I hit and pull forward until I hit.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/19/11
Dennis,

Great technique laugh I was reminded that if you use that technique, make sure you remove your trailer hitch. I was backing up the other night and managed to find an 8X8 at the edge of a parking lot with my trailer hitch. It jars you pretty good when you're expecting to be able to back up a few inches more, then thunk!
Posted By: tzone Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/19/11
Dave,

I don't know what the bumpers that you're looking at cost, but give a look on Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, if you haven't already, for custom bumper. They may have it.
Posted By: BIGR Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/20/11
After having a few close calls with deer I put a Ranch hand grill guard on the chevy.

Attached picture Ranch Hand Tow Hooks.JPG
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/20/11
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Dennis,

Great technique laugh I was reminded that if you use that technique, make sure you remove your trailer hitch. I was backing up the other night and managed to find an 8X8 at the edge of a parking lot with my trailer hitch. It jars you pretty good when you're expecting to be able to back up a few inches more, then thunk!

Until very recently, I did not have a hitch- I simply had a ball on my bumper. I used balls that had a little pin so you could switch between sizes. I ruined that setup pulling a 20K trailer. I welded a receiver on a couple of months ago. It is the first thing to drag when crossing a wash now!!

I hit one turkey which caught the top of my brush guard. It flew over my truck and landed dead in my trailer. We ate her for dinner that night!
Posted By: dubePA Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/20/11
Years ago I had a rugged Class III hitch we whupped up and welded onto the frame of a Chevy truck. It was indestructable and handy, but hung down too far for most offroad use.

Which is why I like the newer frame hitches they came out with, that hug the bottom of the bumper. My first one was on a '97 Blazer and it greatly improved getting around offroad.

I'd like a good front guard, but the ones worth having are too pricey for a tightwad like me. Or will be, until I whack the next deer. Been lucky, haven't thumped one in some time, but have had enough close calls.
Posted By: niit_train Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/20/11
I kinda like the looks of these bumpers:
www.shrockworks.com/ They have a good selection of different styles. If I ever hit a deer or anything, I will purchase an afteramrket bumper.

NT
Posted By: jpb Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/20/11
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have 3 deer, 3 turkeys, 1 antelope and dozens of trees that I have hit with it so far.

Those trees can just jump right out at you alright! wink

John
Posted By: logger Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/20/11
Dave:

Do you know how much your new set up will add as weight up front versus the stock set up. I've been looking at something similar for my Dodge 3500 but worry about putting even more weight up front (especially if I add a winch).

Logger
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/21/11
I'll hopefully have a shipping weight soon.

I'm not really sure what it ads though.

Posted By: Pete E Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by logger
Dave:

Do you know how much your new set up will add as weight up front versus the stock set up. I've been looking at something similar for my Dodge 3500 but worry about putting even more weight up front (especially if I add a winch).

Logger

Its certainly a consideration; many folks end up changing out their springs to compensate...
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/21/11
I'm thinking of adding leveling spacers for the front struts which is pretty much the standard method for boosting the nose of a newish to current F150. But I'll wait till I add the heavier bumper to see exactly which spacer block height to get.

Posted By: Mossy Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 02/23/11
Originally Posted by niit_train
I kinda like the looks of these bumpers:
www.shrockworks.com/ They have a good selection of different styles. If I ever hit a deer or anything, I will purchase an afteramrket bumper.

NT

Shrockworks makes cool bumpers,but good luck getting one in less than about 6 months. I wanted one of their Jeep bumpers,but they were backlogged too long.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/09/11
After waiting over 6 weeks with no sort of confirmation as to my estimated delivery time, aprox target build date... not a clue as to if it was even really put on the build list... I gave the hell up. Hounded these folks day in & day out, minimal and inconclusive replies... very strange.

So..

I ordered a ranch hand summit bullnose tonight over the phone. I am told it will drop ship Thursday this week.

Canceled with the other guys.

My damn truck has been busted up for about 2 months now

Posted By: tzone Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/09/11
You were just waiting on the bumper? I'd say screw em too.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/09/11
I have a Buckstop on my diesel dodge pickup. I hit a deer near spokane with that truck at 50plus, I was doing about 65 when a stomped on the brakes, not sure how much I slowed upon impact? Anyway that deer flew thru the air about 20 yards and was still alive kicking and rolling. I shot it with a .44 revolver. Went back to see the truck and there was just an imprint from the hair in the powdercoat.

If something bends that bumper on impact, my seatbelt will probably slice me in half. That Buckstop bumper is a strong piece of front end artwork!

I'll suggest something I have seen and been troubled by. Make sure that the bumper you buy is flat on the bottom so you can use the High lift jack. So many have an angled bottom and you cannot us that big strong bumper to jack the truck up. What a shame. The buckstop has a built in receiver hitch, makes for a great jack point!

I've seen some warn jeep bumpers and cannot imagine what they were thinking? the steep angled bottom of the front bumper would be about impossible to use with a jack! Seeing as I've been stuck with the bumper a few inches from the ground, having a bumper to use with the jack is critical. I just had my bumper and side rails made specific to use as jacking points for the cruiser.
Posted By: Pete E Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/10/11
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I'll suggest something I have seen and been troubled by. Make sure that the bumper you buy is flat on the bottom so you can use the High lift jack. So many have an angled bottom and you cannot us that big strong bumper to jack the truck up. What a shame. The buckstop has a built in receiver hitch, makes for a great jack point!

I've seen some warn jeep bumpers and cannot imagine what they were thinking? the steep angled bottom of the front bumper would be about impossible to use with a jack! Seeing as I've been stuck with the bumper a few inches from the ground, having a bumper to use with the jack is critical. I just had my bumper and side rails made specific to use as jacking points for the cruiser.

Jim,

Quite right about the jacking points for hi-lifts..Thats about one good thing about the older Defenders in that they came with a steel girder like front bumper...

Re the custom bumpers, I've seen a few on 4x4's over here that have been designed with jack points near the top of the bumper just for situations you mentioned...

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: surfj9009 Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/13/11
I have the Ranch Hand Legend Front and rear on my F350, with a winch. I love them!! Your gonna be super happy.
Posted By: tjg Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/15/11
had the exact ranch hand summit bullnose your looking at on my 07 f150 FX4. only added a bit over 100 lbs - no mods were needed. Just sold the truck but was very happy with the set up
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/15/11
That's good to hear, I should get the bumper today.

Posted By: mud_bogger Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/24/11
pics?
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/24/11
I've been on the road this week, haven't had a chance to do anything with the bumper yet.

Soon i hope.

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/24/11
If you have them, tow hooks can sometimes be used for jack points.

This thread got my rememberer going. Many years ago, Dad had a '49 Ford pickup. The rear bumper was all bent up so he was making one from a piece of VERY heavy angle iron. He had it bolted in place and had used a torch to cut the ends at an angle but he hadn't finished it yet. They stuck out maybe 6" and were sharp. I was making a left turn and was waiting for an oncoming car when the guy behind me tried to pass me on the right. He got too close and hooked the sharp end of the bumper. He didn't bother to stop but as he drove away, I could see a large rip all the way along the side of his car. Didn't hurt the bumper a bit.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/24/11
grin

Can opener!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/27/11
I put that bumper on today, what an awesome fit up, very easy install. I'm impressed with the ranch hand bumpers.

Posted By: huntsonora Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/27/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I put that bumper on today, what an awesome fit up, very easy install. I'm impressed with the ranch hand bumpers.

Can't wait to see a pic
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/28/11
I like it so far, but still incomplete. I'll post a pic when i get it finished and cleaned up.

Posted By: 5spd Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/31/11
Ranchhand line is on tons of the ranchers working trucks out here.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 03/31/11
truck goes into the shop Monday to get the rest of the repairs done, I'll post a pick when i get it back.
Posted By: woofer Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/01/11
the hi lift story made me think of my buddys new silverado in maine a few years ago... jacked the ass end up for some sticks to get out and forgot to pull the jack after setting it down... went right through the tailgate when he gave it hell... smile

W
Posted By: tzone Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/02/11
That sounds like something I would do.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/02/11
Just remember to have the screws in the highlift handle tight FREAKING TIGHT.

if your wet hands let that slip out it will spring up and launch that handle over the truck, or thru the windscreen like a javelin launched from a catapult! Ask how I know this!

Highlifts are the single best tool an off road truck can or should have. But be patient and don't get in a hurry with it. They can ruin your day as much as help bail you out of a jam.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/07/11
Giddy up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/08/11
Looks purdy!

Did ya get the $25 coupon from their website?
$25
Posted By: northern_dave Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/08/11
Naw, I didn't even know about it grin

He's a great guy, I wouldn't have tried to use his coupon if I did know about it because I know he's fair with me and he does a great job.

Posted By: ironbender Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/08/11
I understand.

I just saw their sign and google-fu'd.

Nice looking Tundra! wink
Originally Posted by ironbender

Nice looking Tundra! wink

phthththt!!

fomoco!!
psssst....

It goes faster now.

Posted By: AB2506 Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/09/11
I like!
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: aftermarket bumpers? - 04/10/11
I have ranchhands front and rear on my 99 Dodge Ram 2500, I love em!
© 24hourcampfire