Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I have no such hopes as to avoid body work after a deer hit. my goal is to be able to drive the truck after a nasty critter hit rather than to be walking home.

The trick is hitting smaller deer! grin

[Linked Image]

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that looks delicious... grin

mmm, radiator jerky...

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Ranch hand rear bumper but I got a front end replacement from Mark's Machine in Boerne TX. I think they are called tough country or something like that. I have 3 deer, 3 turkeys, 1 antelope and dozens of trees that I have hit with it so far. Only one that damaged it was the antelope. It went under and bent the skirt up a little. The back bumper has saved me a lot of times too. I have a long box crew cab and turning around in the woods can be dicey- I just back until I hit and pull forward until I hit.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis,

Great technique laugh I was reminded that if you use that technique, make sure you remove your trailer hitch. I was backing up the other night and managed to find an 8X8 at the edge of a parking lot with my trailer hitch. It jars you pretty good when you're expecting to be able to back up a few inches more, then thunk!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

I don't know what the bumpers that you're looking at cost, but give a look on Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, if you haven't already, for custom bumper. They may have it.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After having a few close calls with deer I put a Ranch hand grill guard on the chevy.

Attached Images
Ranch Hand Tow Hooks.JPG (77.87 KB, 1414 downloads)

NEVER GIVE UP
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Dennis,

Great technique laugh I was reminded that if you use that technique, make sure you remove your trailer hitch. I was backing up the other night and managed to find an 8X8 at the edge of a parking lot with my trailer hitch. It jars you pretty good when you're expecting to be able to back up a few inches more, then thunk!

Until very recently, I did not have a hitch- I simply had a ball on my bumper. I used balls that had a little pin so you could switch between sizes. I ruined that setup pulling a 20K trailer. I welded a receiver on a couple of months ago. It is the first thing to drag when crossing a wash now!!

I hit one turkey which caught the top of my brush guard. It flew over my truck and landed dead in my trailer. We ate her for dinner that night!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I had a rugged Class III hitch we whupped up and welded onto the frame of a Chevy truck. It was indestructable and handy, but hung down too far for most offroad use.

Which is why I like the newer frame hitches they came out with, that hug the bottom of the bumper. My first one was on a '97 Blazer and it greatly improved getting around offroad.

I'd like a good front guard, but the ones worth having are too pricey for a tightwad like me. Or will be, until I whack the next deer. Been lucky, haven't thumped one in some time, but have had enough close calls.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
N
N
I kinda like the looks of these bumpers:
www.shrockworks.com/ They have a good selection of different styles. If I ever hit a deer or anything, I will purchase an afteramrket bumper.

NT

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have 3 deer, 3 turkeys, 1 antelope and dozens of trees that I have hit with it so far.

Those trees can just jump right out at you alright! wink

John

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dave:

Do you know how much your new set up will add as weight up front versus the stock set up. I've been looking at something similar for my Dodge 3500 but worry about putting even more weight up front (especially if I add a winch).

Logger

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'll hopefully have a shipping weight soon.

I'm not really sure what it ads though.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logger
Dave:

Do you know how much your new set up will add as weight up front versus the stock set up. I've been looking at something similar for my Dodge 3500 but worry about putting even more weight up front (especially if I add a winch).

Logger

Its certainly a consideration; many folks end up changing out their springs to compensate...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm thinking of adding leveling spacers for the front struts which is pretty much the standard method for boosting the nose of a newish to current F150. But I'll wait till I add the heavier bumper to see exactly which spacer block height to get.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by niit_train
I kinda like the looks of these bumpers:
www.shrockworks.com/ They have a good selection of different styles. If I ever hit a deer or anything, I will purchase an afteramrket bumper.

NT

Shrockworks makes cool bumpers,but good luck getting one in less than about 6 months. I wanted one of their Jeep bumpers,but they were backlogged too long.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
After waiting over 6 weeks with no sort of confirmation as to my estimated delivery time, aprox target build date... not a clue as to if it was even really put on the build list... I gave the hell up. Hounded these folks day in & day out, minimal and inconclusive replies... very strange.

So..

I ordered a ranch hand summit bullnose tonight over the phone. I am told it will drop ship Thursday this week.

Canceled with the other guys.

My damn truck has been busted up for about 2 months now

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You were just waiting on the bumper? I'd say screw em too.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Buckstop on my diesel dodge pickup. I hit a deer near spokane with that truck at 50plus, I was doing about 65 when a stomped on the brakes, not sure how much I slowed upon impact? Anyway that deer flew thru the air about 20 yards and was still alive kicking and rolling. I shot it with a .44 revolver. Went back to see the truck and there was just an imprint from the hair in the powdercoat.

If something bends that bumper on impact, my seatbelt will probably slice me in half. That Buckstop bumper is a strong piece of front end artwork!

I'll suggest something I have seen and been troubled by. Make sure that the bumper you buy is flat on the bottom so you can use the High lift jack. So many have an angled bottom and you cannot us that big strong bumper to jack the truck up. What a shame. The buckstop has a built in receiver hitch, makes for a great jack point!

I've seen some warn jeep bumpers and cannot imagine what they were thinking? the steep angled bottom of the front bumper would be about impossible to use with a jack! Seeing as I've been stuck with the bumper a few inches from the ground, having a bumper to use with the jack is critical. I just had my bumper and side rails made specific to use as jacking points for the cruiser.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I'll suggest something I have seen and been troubled by. Make sure that the bumper you buy is flat on the bottom so you can use the High lift jack. So many have an angled bottom and you cannot us that big strong bumper to jack the truck up. What a shame. The buckstop has a built in receiver hitch, makes for a great jack point!

I've seen some warn jeep bumpers and cannot imagine what they were thinking? the steep angled bottom of the front bumper would be about impossible to use with a jack! Seeing as I've been stuck with the bumper a few inches from the ground, having a bumper to use with the jack is critical. I just had my bumper and side rails made specific to use as jacking points for the cruiser.

Jim,

Quite right about the jacking points for hi-lifts..Thats about one good thing about the older Defenders in that they came with a steel girder like front bumper...

Re the custom bumpers, I've seen a few on 4x4's over here that have been designed with jack points near the top of the bumper just for situations you mentioned...

Regards,

Peter

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have the Ranch Hand Legend Front and rear on my F350, with a winch. I love them!! Your gonna be super happy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 35 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,213
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.