Home
Posted By: mtmuley B.F. Goodrich Rugged Terrain? - 04/14/13
Anybody had a set of these? Saw them at Costco and the price is right. mtmuley
I have had very good luck with them.
Did you get a chance to use them in snow or on ice? mtmuley
Check the reviews at Tire Rack.
I had them on a F250 SD I had. They seemed fine but didn't look like they'd handle mud or snow very well.
Worst tires I have ever had on snow and offroad.
How about the regular All-Terrain? I used to run the older Mud-Terrain, but have no experience with the less aggresive treads. mtmuley
Originally Posted by mtmuley
How about the regular All-Terrain? I used to run the older Mud-Terrain, but have no experience with the less aggresive treads. mtmuley

They used to be great, and still are pretty good but I think there is much better all terrain style tires out there for the money.

BFG Mud Terrains will outlast ANY other mud-tire, period. They ain't Boggers, but they do just fine in the mud and, for what they are, are fairly quiet on pavement.
As far as I know they're a replacement design for the rugged trail tire. I put them on my F250 about 16000 miles ago and they seem to be wearing well. No driving in the snow but they do well for light off road work and are pretty quite on the highway.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

BFG Mud Terrains will outlast ANY other mud-tire, period. They ain't Boggers, but they do just fine in the mud and, for what they are, are fairly quiet on pavement.

The KM1s certainly had that reputation, but the KM2s do not. The KM2s wear ok, (at least they did on my Jeep), but despite their name they are not that great in the mud. The KM2 was designed more for the out-west style off-roader who spends a lot of time in the rocks. Winter traction was ok for a mud terrain, but not great. They were pretty quiet though, at least compared to the set of swampers Trxus MTs they replaced.
KM2's are patterned after a Crawler type tire.
Originally Posted by K1500
KM2's are patterned after a Crawler type tire.

Correct, they were patterned after the BFG Krawler, just slightly less aggressive with a much harder tread compound

If there is a tire that gives a better balance of mileage, life expectancy, traction on snow, off road ability and being quiet on road I haven't found it.
BWalker, I kinda figured they must be a good tire. Hell, they've been around ever since I can remember. I can get my size for 165 bucks at Costco. I'm still looking at the Cooper ST Maxx also. mtmuley
Originally Posted by BWalker

If there is a tire that gives a better balance of mileage, life expectancy, traction on snow, off road ability and being quiet on road I haven't found it.

Try the Firestone Destination AT. Mine lasted ~20,000 miles more than the 2 sets of BFG AT KO I had. They do as well as any other AT I have tried in the snow and handles packed snow better than the BFG IMO
To be honest I have been leery of Firestone after the Ford Explorer fiasco. My take a look at them next time I'm in the market.
To be honest I have been leery of Firestone after the Ford Explorer fiasco. My take a look at them next time I'm in the market.

Ford bears more responsibility than Firestone for that fiasco. Firestone made and sold the tires. Ford decided to put passenger car tires on a truck. Did you ever look to see what tires come on a Toyota 4rnr? They look like TRUCK tires.
I ALMOST bought the Firestone Destinations for my Tacoma a couple of years ago but they would have had to order them. I didn't want to buy tires sight unseen so I ended up with the Rugged Terrains. I have no problems with them. The factory tires had been BF Goodrich and worked well enough so I stayed with the same company.

My brother went with the Firestones a few months later. I sorta wish I had went that way after seeing his. The Firestones are the # 1 rated tire at www.tirerack.com The Rugged Terrains are rated #3.

The Firestone/Explorer issue was complex, but I still place most of the blame on the tires. Firestone is not the same company they were back then. I'd buy with confidence.
I went with the BFGs after the Firstone problems, but like you said the Destination ATs are the #1 pick at Tire Rack. After the way they wore down I did the research and went back to Firstones. I thought about trying the Rugged Terrain, but I was so happy with the Firestones I bought them again.

I also bought some Firestone Destination MTs and had them siped for winter. So far a fabulouse tire.
I'm still beating the Hankook drum. On my second set on my Cummins. I had Michelins and Bridgestones before these, and the Hankooks are far and away better in every respect. I have the E load range Dynapro ATM's.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Try the Firestone Destination AT. Mine lasted ~20,000 miles more than the 2 sets of BFG AT KO I had. They do as well as any other AT I have tried in the snow and handles packed snow better than the BFG IMO

When I worked at a tire store when I was younger i saw people get 80k out of BFG AT's. The key is keeping it aligned and ROTATING RELIGIOUSLY! Rotating any tires will improve life drastically. AT's are pricey but worth every penny from what I saw at the tire shop.
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

When I worked at a tire store when I was younger i saw people get 80k out of BFG AT's. The key is keeping it aligned and ROTATING RELIGIOUSLY! Rotating any tires will improve life drastically. AT's are pricey but worth every penny from what I saw at the tire shop.

Seems pretty common, my buddies dad had them on a ECSB 2500HD and got almost 75k out of his first set.
I had Bridgestone Revos on an 05 z71 truck and liked them, but they semed to wear fast. I tried to save some money and put Firestone destination AT's on my wifes 05 Tahoe and the looked so bad I didn't even drive the Tahoe away from the shop. She looked at it parked in the lot and asked me what in the heck was wrong with her new tires. I have never seen anything like it.

I had them swap out for Revo 2's and they looked so much better it wasn't even funny. The Firestone's looked flat as could be when they were fully aired up. After that experience and some poor mileage out of some other Bridgestones, I have stayed away from the entire Firestone/Bridgestone line.
[/quote]

Try the Firestone Destination AT. Mine lasted ~20,000 miles more than the 2 sets of BFG AT KO I had. They do as well as any other AT I have tried in the snow and handles packed snow better than the BFG IMO [/quote]

When I worked at a tire store when I was younger i saw people get 80k out of BFG AT's. The key is keeping it aligned and ROTATING RELIGIOUSLY! Rotating any tires will improve life drastically. AT's are pricey but worth every penny from what I saw at the tire shop. [/quote]

Seems pretty common, my buddies dad had them on a ECSB 2500HD and got almost 75k out of his first set. [/quote]
I have always got excellent mileage out of Goodrich AT's, even on 3/4 ton diesels.
My BFGs got ~30,000. The first set broke a belt so I couldn't go over 50 mph. 2nd set just didn't last. They were rotated and kept air correctly. A friend bragged on his due to the fact he got you kind of milage. I don't know why I didn't. The last two years I did ocassionally put a water tank in the bed to water out trees. All together I put about 1 mile on them graval and dirt each time.

K1500

Were the Firestones Ps or LTs. They make both.
All were P's as they were a replacement for OE tires (same size) on the 1/2 tons. I used to run D's on my 1/2 tons but did not this time. I know the Destinations have to be o.k., as lots of folks love them. I just saw a set on a truck today in a parking lot and they looked just fine, but these looked nearly flat. It was 100% obvious to my wife, and she could really care less about tires. The first thing she said was "What's wrong with my tires?" After putting the Revo 2's on, they looked great.
I'm assuming the older style BFG MT is no longer made? I like the looks of the Destination MT, just heard and had bad experiences with Firestone. They have always seemed to me to be a cheap tire that the manufacturers use for OE. mtmuley
I'm assuming the older style BFG MT is no longer made? I like the looks of the Destination MT, just heard and had bad experiences with Firestone. They have always seemed to me to be a cheap tire that the manufacturers use for OE. mtmuley

The only version of the KM1 you can still get is what they are putting on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicons and it's some odd size like 255/85/16. The Destination MT is supposed to be pretty good. As far as MTs go, I think if you can spring for it the Toyo Open Country MT is a very good balance between traction (on and off-road) and tread wear. The downfall is they are pretty expensive.
Originally Posted by K1500
All were P's as they were a replacement for OE tires (same size) on the 1/2 tons. I used to run D's on my 1/2 tons but did not this time. I know the Destinations have to be o.k., as lots of folks love them. I just saw a set on a truck today in a parking lot and they looked just fine, but these looked nearly flat. It was 100% obvious to my wife, and she could really care less about tires. The first thing she said was "What's wrong with my tires?" After putting the Revo 2's on, they looked great.

I have "P"s on my Suburban now and I am with you on it. The LTs are better looking on it, but I am getting the same performance. I bought a set of wheels and tires from Tire Rack because they were cheaper than any price around here. The "Tire Expert" said the LT would not work on my 16x8 wheels with the size tire I was getting so I had to get the "P"s. I recently talked to a local tire installer. He said they put the LTs on them all the time with no problem. Live and learn. I still like the tire very much though.

I have been running the KM2s on my Dodge diesel. First set went 50K, rotated every 5K. On my second set now. No issues.
Another tire I like, the Maxxis Bighorn. I'm a little concerned about wear with this one. It's a Les Schwab tire, a dealer from mostly out West here. Anybody ever use these? mtmuley
Another tire I like, the Maxxis Bighorn. I'm a little concerned about wear with this one. It's a Les Schwab tire, a dealer from mostly out West here. Anybody ever use these? mtmuley

I have never run them and these days stay away from Les Schwab. I have friends that run the Maxxis Bighorn and they wear quickly and seem soft. Les Schwab used to have great service and reasonable prices. These days they have neither. I much prefer Americas Tires / Discount tires.
I haven't bought a Schwab tire since they discontinued the Wild Country TXR. That was a Hell of a tire, and I'd like to find something with a similar tread and wear characteristics. mtmuley
They have improved alot according to my neighbors. Even had them repair a cut side wall on one of my Jeep tires when traveling through Nevada. They wouldn't charge me for the patch, so I left them money for lunch. E
E, Their service is second to none. I just don't care for any of the tread patterns they offer right now. mtmuley

I got 15K out of the 1st set and after contacting Maxxis, they replaced that set with me paying for the mounting and balancing of the 2nd set which lasted almost 20K. I'll never waste another cent on the Maxxis brand. Tires were on my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins. I currently am running the B.F. Goodrich Rugged Terrain tires that were new take offs that I bought with the 4th Generation wheels with less that 500 miles. I have put just over 10K miles on them and cannot see where they have worn at all, although I know they have. In snow and ice they leave alot to be desired, but for a highway tire they have made me remember just how my rig rode and drove over 230K miles ago when it was new.
Tim
Sounds like the BFG Rugged Terrains leave a lot to be desired on snow and ice. A lot of the time during our hunting season, my truck sees a bunch of both. mtmuley
Originally Posted by ajmorell

The only version of the KM1 you can still get is what they are putting on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicons and it's some odd size like 255/85/16. The Destination MT is supposed to be pretty good. As far as MTs go, I think if you can spring for it the Toyo Open Country MT is a very good balance between traction (on and off-road) and tread wear. The downfall is they are pretty expensive.

255/75/17 load range C. (32"x10") And its been a fantastic tire on my tacoma. A few years ago they were $95 each, I wish I had bought eight instead of four.

I will be replacing them with BFG AT's. Hard to find an AT with strong sidewall.
Posted By: SU35 Re: B.F. Goodrich Rugged Terrain? - 04/22/13
I have the KM 2's 255/85/16 on my Tacoma they blast through mud like no other tire I ever had.

Muley, I have the Maxxis Bighorns on my truck. Just put them on before last hunting season, and they performed very well in the snow and also good in the mud so far this spring. I can't speak to how long they will last though. I will tell you that it's very hard to get my truck stuck now, but you also have to turn the radio up pretty loud on the highway because they make some noise rolling down the road.
The Bighorns sound like a great tire, but a second set of rims so I could pull them in the summer sounds like a good plan. mtmuley
Just looked at the ST Maxx from Cooper in person, and talked to a few guys around here that have had them awhile. A set is going on my truck. mtmuley
I'll be interested to see what you think. It's between those and DC FC-II's when my current tires are done-for.
I put on the Cooper ST Maxx on my truck this last fall. They have been good tires so far and seem like a good compromise between the AT and MT. They seemed to get a little noisy lately but I just got them balanced and rotated so we will see if that helps. Wearing seems to be normal so far.
rugged trail 10 ply wears great terrible for anything but highway i use them in summer and switch to the cooper stt for hunting seasons from late sept through may on my 07 ram 2500 and on the 06ram 2500 since they were new
Just had a set of the Cooper ST Maxx tires put on my truck. Man, I can't wait till it snows and I'm driving up the mountain. mtmuley
© 24hourcampfire