Home
Posted By: chaddd 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
Tundra supposedly getting 5.0 liter cummins diesel. I might actually have to buy one of these things. Over 300 hp and 500-550lbs of torque. Anyone else interested in this truck?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
Coming in '16? I'll get me one...sometime about 2026.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
I'm tired if empty promises from Toyota and a diesel.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
I'll give em at least 2 years to work out the kinks and to see how they actually do so I might consider it in 2018
Posted By: BWalker Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
The Tacoma is also suppose to get a inline 4 cylinder Cummins that it will share with the Nissan Frontier.
Posted By: chris_c Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I'll give em at least 2 years to work out the kinks and to see how they actually do so I might consider it in 2018

Don't want to buy the first year. grin
Posted By: Gibby Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
Bought a new Diesel Toyota in '81. It ran good after they replaced the pistons and the "new" wedge rings. A recall event,so it did not cost anything to fix.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
shame we can't just get the Hilux Diesel that the rest of the world enjoys.
I wondered that myself. Why can't we?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
I am not a vehicle guy, only own them because I hate walking to the next town.. Toyota has had diesel vehicles in Africa for years.. I think they did not introduce them to the U. S. due to gov.t restrictions.. I heard all this years ago when I hunted in SA.. My 84 Toyota pickup is still running fairly well.. I am not sure I would spring for a diesel in a Tundra, but a new Tundra is certainly in my future....
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
Originally Posted by Gibby

The EPA. U.S. Diesel emissions regulations are the world's strictest.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

This. The Hilux is too light to fall under the same regs as F250-sized trucks, and therefore has a much stricter emission standard, even though the smaller truck would be much more fuel efficient and would likely emit less total pollution. I'm from the government and I'm here to help.....

A diesel Hilux with rollup windows and no other BS is about a reliable as vehicles get.
Posted By: EdM Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/29/14
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8639561/1
Thanks.

I have notice a big push from BMW on their new Diesel cars lately. Local BMW dealer pushing them hard too. There must be a difference in diesel restrictions. Like you said, light vs Heavy.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: 2016 Tundra - 04/30/14
Thanks.

I have notice a big push from BMW on their new Diesel cars lately. Local BMW dealer pushing them hard too. There must be a difference in diesel restrictions. Like you said, light vs Heavy.

I've heard of Diesel Audis and Hondas in Europe that get way over 50mpg. The technology is there, but whacko environmentalists won't allow it here.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/01/14
Tell that to VW which sells tons of small diesels in the US.
Posted By: micky Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/11/14
Why would Toyota use a Cummins when they own Hino? For those of you that don't know Hino is one of the world largest diesel manufacturers.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/11/14
Originally Posted by micky
Why would Toyota use a Cummins when they own Hino? For those of you that don't know Hino is one of the world largest diesel manufacturers.

Emissions standards and mileage requirements
Posted By: micky Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/11/14
Hino can pass the euro standards, they are more strict than ours.

Edit - I own a Tundra. I have been hearing this said for the last three or four years. I am sorry, I just don't buy it.
They haven't been tested here yet and with the effenciency standards coming up it is cheaper for Toyota to go with an engine that has been tested and will meet the mileage requirements.

It sucks as I have always wanted a Toyota diesel but it is what it is
Posted By: cal74 Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/11/14

Our EPA is so half a$$ed backwards, they'd rather choke the living crap out of engines to reduce the emissions but don't care if it burns twice as much fuel.

Just about every car in Europe is available with a Diesel alternative to a gas engine.
Originally Posted by cal74

Our EPA is so half a$$ed backwards, they'd rather choke the living crap out of engines to reduce the emissions but don't care if it burns twice as much fuel.

Just about every car in Europe is available with a Diesel alternative to a gas engine.

Yep!
Posted By: BWalker Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/12/14
I think its a mistake to use a v8 diesel. I think a V6 would be better for a half ton truck.
Posted By: blackmamba Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/15/14
My lease runs out on my 2013 tundra in May of 2016. I'm thinking I may need to try the diesel version next!
Posted By: broomd Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/16/14
I was in Mexico last week and was standing next to a newer VW van that transported me to the airport.

I couldn't believe how quiet and smell-free the emissions were on that vehicle.
Diesel fumes bug the h-ll outta me, but I'll be darned if I could even smell them back near the pipe. Really impressive.
The kerosene burners have come a long way...
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/16/14
Originally Posted by micky
Hino can pass the euro standards, they are more strict than ours.

No they're not, the U.S. standards are tougher.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/17/14
Happy with my 2012 Tundra would consider a diesel for retirement which if gods willing will be in 5 years.
Posted By: micky Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/21/14
I think a small inline 6 would be ideal. The inline engine beats the V design in every aspect outside hp rating and length. I's last longer and have a lower flatter tq curve.
Posted By: micky Re: 2016 Tundra - 05/21/14
Maybe a flat 6 too
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 2016 Tundra - 06/25/14
Doesn't make sense to pay $2-3K more for a diesel engine so you can get 20% better economy except that fuel costs 25% more...
Posted By: BWalker Re: 2016 Tundra - 06/27/14
Not sure about the area you live in, but diesel is only 25-40 cents a gallon more in my area. Plus you can always run red fuel which is cheaper.. From what I hear.😜
Posted By: AB2506 Re: 2016 Tundra - 06/27/14
I was in South Africa in May. More people are beginning to buy gas. Diesel is more expensive there, just like here. Add in the cost of the diesel engine to buy, plus the added cost when you do need to maintain it, you can buy a lot of gas for that money. Now for purposes diesel is better, but I would sure like it better if the cost of diesel went down 25%.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 2016 Tundra - 06/27/14
A Tundra/Cummins.....get ready to shell out $50k+
Posted By: BLG Re: 2016 Tundra - 07/02/14
Originally Posted by BWalker
Not sure about the area you live in, but diesel is only 25-40 cents a gallon more in my area. Plus you can always run red fuel which is cheaper.. From what I hear.😜

Don't get caught running red diesel in your highway vehicle. Not a cheap citation. And for warranty work, the dealership will probably turn you in.

Clyde
© 24hourcampfire