Home
Posted By: 43Shooter Used full size truck . - 06/26/14
I'm helping (co signing) my son get a truck. He wants a full size, short bed model, no crew cab with some storage behind the seat. 4wd if possible but no big deal. He's got a $10,000 budget. Any thoughts on what's possibly got the least chance of having problems, what to stay away from, etc. IMO at that price it's pretty much a crap shoot but maybe some models are better than others? Chevy, GMC, Ford or Dodge he doesn't care.
Posted By: NTG Re: Used full size truck . - 06/26/14
I'd be looking for a decent later 90's GM with the vortec 350. They're a solid truck and you can find a good one in that price range if you're patient.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Used full size truck . - 06/26/14
Does he plan on doing any towing? I'd at least get an extra cab for carrying gear. An early to mid 90's F150 or F250, something FI, would be a good choice.
Posted By: fish head Re: Used full size truck . - 06/26/14
There's three known issues with late 90s Chevy Vortec trucks that you should be aware of. These three are not a matter of if but when and they can be spendy if you can't fix it yourself.

Fuel pump
Intake manifold gaskets
Transmission

The good news is a Delco fuel pump should last for well over a 100K. If the IM gaskets are replaced with the new Fel-Pro design that eliminates the problem for good. Transmissions usually last approximately 150k to 200k if they've been maintained and not abused. Vortec engines last a long time.

Other than that they're a good truck but they have problems like every other full size American made truck when it comes to wearables like water pumps, steering components, alternators ... etc. Most of these items aren't terribly expensive if you can do the labor.

I'd rank (gas powered) Chevys equal or maybe slightly better than Fords and far better than Dodge trucks of that era (late 90s).
Hard to find a used truck that's NOT a Crewcab, nowadays. I'd look at a Ford 150 with the 5.4 V-8 4X4. Several of my buddies have them with 250 K miles on them and they are still running like new. Pretty much bullet proof on the engine & 4 Wheel Drive system.

There's a reason that the Ford F-150 is not only the best selling truck of all time, but also the #1 Vehicle sold in the USA.

The Chevys & Dodges, not so much.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Used full size truck . - 06/26/14
Find a Tundra
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Used full size truck . - 06/27/14
He wants a truck, not a Tundra. mtmuley
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Used full size truck . - 06/27/14
An 06 or older Tundra would certainly be in the running. The standard cab versions can be had pretty cheap even in 4X4.

There's a reason that the Ford F-150 is not only the best selling truck of all time, but also the #1 Vehicle sold in the USA.

McDonalds is the best selling hamburger of all time too, doesn't mean they make the best burger.

I'd still lean toward Ford or Toyota, I feel you'll get more truck for the $10K. Over the years the big 3 have all had good and bad years. Just depends on which year you buy and which features are more important to you.
Originally Posted by JMR40
An 06 or older Tundra would certainly be in the running. The standard cab versions can be had pretty cheap even in 4X4.

McDonalds is the best selling hamburger of all time too, doesn't mean they make the best burger.

I'd still lean toward Ford or Toyota, I feel you'll get more truck for the $10K. Over the years the big 3 have all had good and bad years. Just depends on which year you buy and which features are more important to you.

I've never had a problem with ANY of my Fords. As in ZERO, Ziltch! And I use my Fords HARD here at the Ranch. Every Day.

That being said, I wouldn't have any problem buying a Toyota, either. Great little trucks for the money, IMO. They just dont have the power to tow what I tow.

You couldn't give me a frickin Dodge, and you'd have to give me a Chevy before I drove it. wink
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Used full size truck . - 06/27/14
Zero problems with a Ford huh? Never? BullShcit. mtmuley
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Zero problems with a Ford huh? Never? BullShcit. mtmuley

Chevy man ehh ? Truck envy ? Can't afford a Real Truck ? wink

That's right, Never. I change the oil & diesel filter regularly. Keep the air cleaner clean, that's it.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Used full size truck . - 06/27/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The Chevys & Dodges, not so much.

Ford guys apparently fail to understand that Chevy + GMC > Ford in sales. Chevy sales are split by GMC. In any event, I'm not sure why #1 in sales would matter all that much when you make your pick.
Actually they don't fail to understand anything. In case you haven't noticed, Ford F-series has outsold GM's Sierra and Silverado combined and have for years. However, If we're talking ONLY about the half-ton, GM chose to continue to separate lines of the same truck. No ones fault but their own.

2013 sales

2012 sales

data so easily available.

I do agree that #1 in sales doesn't amount to much.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Used full size truck . - 06/27/14
Get a Tundra
You will wonder why you wasted all that time on others
If you can find an early 90 s non vortec chevy gmc. They have proven to be verry reliable and pretty easy to work on. The vortec manifold issue is an easy fix and definatly not a deal breaker but those late 90s trucks have more frills and more things to break. Talking power seat brackets crappy cup holder ect. I have had and sold a95 and have a 99 suburban. My 93 2500 has close to 300 k and have never touched the engine or differentials Had to rebuild the tranny tho. But it was cheap. Under 1 k.
Don't overlook the 80s Chevys I have 2 - 84 2500s and they were pretty good ole trucks. Don't get the gas milage the 93 does tho. But they are really easy to keep going. If you can find an 87 it will be TBI motor..
Originally Posted by thin_man
Actually they don't fail to understand anything. In case you haven't noticed, Ford F-series has outsold GM's Sierra and Silverado combined and have for years. However, If we're talking ONLY about the half-ton, GM chose to continue to separate lines of the same truck. No ones fault but their own.

2013 sales

2012 sales

data so easily available.

I do agree that #1 in sales doesn't amount to much.

AND the #1 Selling VEHICLE, among ALL Vehichle Models, including cars, trucks, mini-vans, SUV's, ect..... Not just Pickups!

What that tells me is that Ford has the most satisfied customer base. And the highest resale values. I trade every few years, and resale value makes a big difference to me.

Also, since new Ford Pickups are more expensive than the Chevys, Dodge, GMC, & Toyota, that tells me that Ford buyers don't mind paying a little more for a better more dependable product.

If Chevy, Dodge, & Toyota built better trucks than Ford does, surely they would out sale Ford, since the others are cheaper in price. wink

Not to mention the fact that Chevy is now the .Gov. brand sick I rest my case cool
Posted By: rem141r Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
steer clear of the mid 2000's dodge rams. theres a 2005 powerless, gas guzzling, POS rust bucket sitting in my driveway that i wish would catch fire before it costs me more money. friggen dodge.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I'm helping (co signing) my son get a truck. He wants a full size, short bed model, no crew cab with some storage behind the seat. 4wd if possible but no big deal. He's got a $10,000 budget. Any thoughts on what's possibly got the least chance of having problems, what to stay away from, etc. IMO at that price it's pretty much a crap shoot but maybe some models are better than others? Chevy, GMC, Ford or Dodge he doesn't care.

That budget is plenty enough to get very good truck. My old '94 GMC has been a great truck and it's probably worth only 1/3 of your budget. With 235k miles it's mostly been sitting the last 10yrs since I got the diesel. Still if the battery has juice it starts right up after a winter spent covered with snow. For $10K you can find something a lot newer and with many less miles. But no matter which make you get it'll have it's own idiosyncrasies.
Posted By: Swift Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
Tundra
Posted By: AML Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
Actually, I believe the reason Ford is the number one selling pickup is because they have the largest dealer network. I've owned one Ford pickup that I bought new and kept for 11 years. Overall, it was a pretty good truck. Do a search on one of the major automotive sites for trucks in your son's price range for your location. I usually find at least one real gem in the list, sometimes several.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
First car?

I'd look for a clean, early 90's, F150 with a 4.9 standard tranny and stay out of debt on a depreciating asset.

They're cheap, tow well, decent fuel mileage, and reliable as a hammer.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
I don't know where you're gonna find a Tundra for 10,000$. It would have to be pretty old and high miles.

Ford F-150's are gonna be tough to beat for price, off-road capability, ride, durability.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I don't know where you're gonna find a Tundra for 10,000$. It would have to be pretty old and high miles.

Ford F-150's are gonna be tough to beat for price, off-road capability, ride, durability.

My brother bought an 02 with 240K on it for $5500. You look on Auto Trader and you'll see lots of 'em with 350K for sale. That early Toyota V-8 had timing belts so you can rest assured most of the ones you find would be due for that.

I'd agree with RC, I'd look for a Ford.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
Just my .02$ worth, but I can't imagine anyone not wanting at least an extra-cab for the simple matter of resale value and lockable storage.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Used full size truck . - 06/28/14
I agree but he said he'd rather have an extended cab.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
at one time or the other over a lot of years i have had every make and model of all the trucks Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and 3 Tundras,all used as ranch trucks with some hi-way use, the Ford wins out, i don't care who's name is on the door, if a truck will hold up to rough use get decent mileage, I like it. won't write a review of others but will tell you all the Toyota, is the last truck you want.currently i have 14 ranch pickups and 5 suv. rio7
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
Rio, those Fords Diesel or gas?

DF
Originally Posted by rem141r
steer clear of the mid 2000's dodge rams. theres a 2005 powerless, gas guzzling, POS rust bucket sitting in my driveway that i wish would catch fire before it costs me more money. friggen dodge.

Hmmmm.

I've heard it said, don't mess with a Dodge owner...

He's already mad... shocked

DF
dirtfarmer, mostly diesel. rio7
Looks like you've had enough experience with Ford diesels to know which ones to buy, which ones to leave alone.

Over the years, Ford has offered some great diesel engines, some not so great. Just gotta know the product.

DF
Yep,rio7
Posted By: cal74 Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by MadMooner
First car?

I'd look for a clean, early 90's, F150 with a 4.9 standard tranny and stay out of debt on a depreciating asset.

They're cheap, tow well, decent fuel mileage, and reliable as a hammer.

I was thinking the same thing or a 5.0, might have to travel so to find a clean one without a ton of miles but should come in well under budget and be a solid truck.

Posted By: tominboise Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
If he has a $10k budget, he should buy for cash and not finance anything, and you shouldn't cosign for him. Better to find a truck on craigslist for $6 to $8k and use $2k for repairs/upgrades, and then he should make equivalent payments to his bank account, for when he needs to buy his next truck.

There are a number of good deals to be found if you look around a bit and are mechanically inclined at all.

Tom
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
lots of fords on the road,lots of obama voters to but that doesn't mean there right.

newer dodges are so up and down on mpg ,2 friends just bought new dodges. one claims 19.5 mpg,the other says 13.5mpg. same motors,same gear.

if you want me to buy a japanese truck then send the japs over here to sell them.when they get balls enough to try promoting there own product in america we'll talk.they are dog ugly and usually get the worst mpg in the big trucks.

i'll buy a chevy/gmc
I'm a Z-71 guy, wife drives a Tahoe.

But, for the OP, looking for a good truck for his kid, what about a std. cab 4x4 Tacoma, 4 cylinder/std. shift. I think you could find a pretty good one for $10K. It's a tough little truck, should hold its value fairly well and would give him years of solid use.

DF

Edited to add I know you said full size, but for that price, you may need to broaden your search parameters.

IMHO.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

But, for the OP, looking for a good truck for his kid, what about a std. cab 4x4 Tacoma, 4 cylinder/std. shift. I think you could find a pretty good one for $10K.

You obviously ain't looked much for 4x4 Tacomas.

Edit:

I just did an auto trader 300mi radius search in my SE area. I found two with less that 200K miles.
Haven't actually looked for a Tacoma.

They're good little trucks and I guess people run them until they won't run...

Still not a bad concept, if one could be found.

DF
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Haven't actually looked for a Tacoma.

They're good little trucks and I guess people run them until they won't run...

Still not a bad concept, if one could be found.

DF

They are GREAT trucks, and as you noted, are sought after. If the OP is a wrencher, maybe find one that needs major work, and make it a father/son project. That way it would be more of a known commodity, and not a pig-in-a poke.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
If you find a used Tacoma on a lot, you had best buy it right then if it will work for you, because it won't be there tomorrow
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
No question the Tacoma's supposed to be good but he wants a full sized truck.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Used full size truck . - 06/29/14
If it were me, I'd be looking at 2001 and later GM 1/2t which has the very good LS engine. Should be able to find one within the budget. If it's for hunting, the extended cab works better than a fullsize crew cab. An EC door opens from the front and it's a lot more convenient getting stuff-rifles- in/out. I take the back seat out and build a carpeted storage shelf.
Posted By: woofer Re: Used full size truck . - 06/30/14
I would much rather move my kid towards something he can look back on and think positively about. Tacoma. Any of the full size stuff with his budget is asking for buying someone else's problems.

A properly purchased 6-7K truck is just as good as any 10K truck. That's a very hard number to find with the price of new stuff the way it is... There are a bunch of Tacomas up here but anything over 5 years old your dealing with rust.

I looked at a 02 4X4 Crew V6 TRD the other day. I can buy it for around 12K I think. 130K on it maybe. Perfect truck on paper and a steal until you realize your gonna be painting it etc because of our salt. Truck is tight but not well taken care of. If anyone wants the info for a beater I would be happy to forward it. Great truck. I just dont have the space for bodywork anymore..

W
[Linked Image]

$11K

This would make a great first truck with a cap or cover....

W
[Linked Image]

152K $4300 OBO V6 Auto

Tacoma

W
If there is anything up here on Craigslist and it's close by I would be happy to take a peek for you. Can pick up at airport also. it's only half hour away... That goes for any of you guys...

W
© 24hourcampfire