Home
Posted By: oldtimr1 My PA elk - 12/22/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Getting her out.

Skinning shed

It took 17 years of applying for a tag to get drawn. 155yds 30-06 150 grn bullet. Took two steps and went down. Approx 4 years old,650 lbs.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Nice. A friend at home here drew a bull tag and killed a giant with his bow 5-6 years ago. I applied for many years but haven’t in the past 4-5.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Congratulations!!
Posted By: Feral_American Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
That is one cool use for those blue drums.

Congrats on the elk meat.
Posted By: SLM Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Congrats, that retrieval is awesome.
Posted By: Westman Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Horse and sled....That's just cheating!!!

LOL

Congrats!
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23

I forgot to post the ring I had made with one of the Ivorys. If you look close you will see an elk head on the side of the ring.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Congrats oldtimr1 , lots of GREAT EATING there!

The old .30-06 strikes again cool
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Congratulations! Nice work there.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Originally Posted by oldtimr1

I forgot to post the ring I had made with one of the Ivorys. If you look close you will see an elk head on the side of the ring.

What happened to the actual ivory?? I have a bunch, and none look like that.
Posted By: SLM Re: My PA elk - 12/22/23
Originally Posted by Fullfan

What happened to the actual ivory?? I have a bunch, and none look like that.

Looks like a cow ivory to me.
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
I can't help what yours look like, that is an Ivory from my elk, granted it is a cow elk, although the photo would have told you that.
Posted By: Lonny Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
Well done oldtimr. Nice use of the ivory too.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
Fine job on the hunt, recovery, and the ring.

I still have some ivories saved…wouldn’t want to make another ring, would ya?

Either way, congrats!😎
No, I still have one Ivory left. One ring is enough for me. My grandson will get the other Ivory
Posted By: Justahunter Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
Very cool!

Todd
Posted By: Teeder Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
Excellent!

I think I have 19 points. I keep trying for a bull only, though.
I always apply for either sex. I don't have room in my house for the antlers or a head mount, ceilings are too low. I did have the hide tanned hair on and had a cloth backing put on it.

Posted By: Fullfan Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
Just thought they looked odd

Attached picture IMG_0220.jpeg
Some are more heavily stained than others.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
To me, it looks like it’s mounted on its side with the crown to the left.

I see lots of backstraps and tenderloins hanging there.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
I’m just use to seeing them like this, not on the side.

Attached picture IMG_0222.png
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
I had these earrings made for my wife from a bull I shot last season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: My PA elk - 12/23/23
Nice elk. Was it taken around bennezzette?
Yes it was, in a turnip field on a game lands, Maybe yoy know the place.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: My PA elk - 12/24/23
Yes it was, in a turnip field on a game lands, Maybe yoy know the place.
I bet I do. I have hunted and fished in that area quite a few times
Posted By: Cascade Re: My PA elk - 12/25/23
Excellent! Congrats on your elk. Looks like some mighty fine eating right there and the elk-ivory ring is cool too.

Classic cartridge in the 30-06 as well.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: byd Re: My PA elk - 12/26/23
Which 150 grain bullet did you use.
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: My PA elk - 12/26/23
Remington Coreloct.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: My PA elk - 01/20/24
Congrats! Hopefully some year I’ll get drawn.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: My PA elk - 01/21/24
Cool deal. That barrel sled looks pretty slick.
Posted By: LifebytheHorns Re: My PA elk - 01/24/24
That is excellent! The horse pulling it out in the sled is a cherry on top! Cool ring as well!
Posted By: carrollco Re: My PA elk - 01/25/24
I enjoyed this post. I didn’t know y’all had rednecks in PA. I love the use of the old blue drums and horsepower to get the elk out. Sounds like something a good ole boy would come up with. When I worked on the Choctaw Rez as a school principal, they used mules for logging. It did not destroy the land like the big skidders. I also liked the use of the elk ivory and the tanned hide. Nephew recently sent pics of elk in Missouri. Well done! Also a big 30/06 fan. That is a big animal, lots of protein there. I have eaten elk and enjoy original fast food as deer, elk, rabbits, and ducks are.
Posted By: beretzs Re: My PA elk - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by SLM
Congrats, that retrieval is awesome.

Agreed! That is very cool. Never seen something quite like it.
Posted By: markX Re: My PA elk - 04/29/24
Awesome congrats!
Keep hoping I’ll draw a tag one of these years
Posted By: jc189 Re: My PA elk - 04/29/24
Congrats. Very nice.
Posted By: Stammster Re: My PA elk - 04/30/24
Yep - PA doesn’t allow 4 wheelers on state game lands for animal recovery.

650 lbs might be a stretch.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: My PA elk - 05/01/24
Originally Posted by Stammster

Doubtful a 650 lb elk would fit in that plastic barrel sled.

Of the 10’s of thousands of cow elk I’ve seen , a few might have been pushing 600 lbs.

Although when critters like elk are in the right habitat, they can get bigger than when living in “normal” habitat.
Posted By: Bluethunder8 Re: My PA elk - 05/01/24
Congratulations
Posted By: ipopum Re: My PA elk - 05/01/24
They seem like a ton when you hauling them out. I will take a nice cow for eating over a bull anytime.
Posted By: sucre68 Re: My PA elk - 05/03/24

Getting her out.

Skinning shed

It took 17 years of applying for a tag to get drawn. 155yds 30-06 150 grn bullet. Took two steps and went down. Approx 4 years old,650 lbs.
That's a huge elk. Big congrats to you, buddy. Thanks for sharing the pics. You would want to try some smoked elk meatloaf with candied bacon recipe.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: My PA elk - 05/03/24
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Stammster

Doubtful a 650 lb elk would fit in that plastic barrel sled.

Of the 10’s of thousands of cow elk I’ve seen , a few might have been pushing 600 lbs.

Although when critters like elk are in the right habitat, they can get bigger than when living in “normal” habitat.

Looks like he hauled it before gutting. It could very well be close to 650 pounds on the hoof. Eastern like in PA definitely get better food and the winters are not as harsh. I have had smaller mules about that size and they taped 650-700 pounds

If you look at the photo, there are three plastic barrels tied together
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: My PA elk - 05/04/24
She’s nowhere near 650lbs…….
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: My PA elk - 05/10/24
Looks like he's scared of getting bit standing that far away. Congratulations on killing a nice big cow. Damn sure better have orange on during the hunting season in Pennsylvania.
Posted By: jk16 Re: My PA elk - 05/11/24

Since you seem to have such a strong opinion about it, how heavy do YOU think that cow was.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: My PA elk - 05/11/24
Originally Posted by jk16

Since you seem to have such a strong opinion about it, how heavy do YOU think that cow was.

Having helped weigh two adult wild cow elk, and watch a couple domestic cow elk in squeeze chutes on a scale, plus seeing 50+ cow elk dead on the ground, I’m going to say ~ 500lbs.

Just like other wild critters from cougars to fish, we have a tendency to overestimate weights.

I have never seen a cow elk, alive or dead, that was more than 600 lbs.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: My PA elk - 05/11/24
Known fact that elk in Alberta and further north are bigger than Colorado elk. I have killed one and it was darn sure bigger than 6x6's I have killed here. Then too, although I have never killed elk in PA, I know they have better food, more of it and milder winters.

When I left PA 60 years ago, a nice buck might go 175 pounds. Now the bigger deer out of the hard woods and in farm country like SW PA, where I still have kin, routinely kill deer a lot bigger.

What does it matter. To even draw an elk tag on PA is not an easy thing. If the OP thinks his cow elk go went 650 pounds on the hoof, more power to him.I am not there and neither are others.

Congratulate him and quit nit picking. I tip my hat to him.

Last season, being 80 years old, solo hunt, I killed, dressed out a probably two year old cow. Probably didn't go 300 pounds. Had to get help to lift it on pack mules. It meant as much to me as the 7x8 bull hanging on my wall l killed 20 + years ago. Going to try it again this coming year if i draw a tag.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: My PA elk - 05/11/24
Oldtimr1, congrats on a nice cow elk! It’s an awesome feat to get drawn and score in an Eastern state. Kentucky has a pretty decent elk population now also.

Ron
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: My PA elk - 05/11/24
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Known fact that elk in Alberta and further north are bigger than Colorado elk. I have killed one and it was darn sure bigger than 6x6's I have killed here. Then too, although I have never killed elk in PA, I know they have better food, more of it and milder winters.

When I left PA 60 years ago, a nice buck might go 175 pounds. Now the bigger deer out of the hard woods and in farm country like SW PA, where I still have kin, routinely kill deer a lot bigger.

What does it matter. To even draw an elk tag on PA is not an easy thing. If the OP thinks his cow elk go went 650 pounds on the hoof, more power to him.I am not there and neither are others.

Congratulate him and quit nit picking. I tip my hat to him.

Last season, being 80 years old, solo hunt, I killed, dressed out a probably two year old cow. Probably didn't go 300 pounds. Had to get help to lift it on pack mules. It meant as much to me as the 7x8 bull hanging on my wall l killed 20 + years ago. Going to try it again this coming year if i draw a tag.

Saddlesore,
First, if you’re going to reply to me you must go to my post and hit the “reply” button. Otherwise your post replies to oldtimer1.

Secondly, undoubtedly there are cow elk in the right habitat running around in the northern hemisphere that might hit 650lbs, just like there are women that are 6’-4” and weigh 250lbs in the human race.

Third, I’ve killed a number of 4-5 year bulls that barely hit 500 lbs.

Fourth, just like you I killed the smallest adult elk I ever killed last year, she might have hit 350lbs.

Lastly, the cow elk in the photos is a normal size, normal weight adult cow that is in the 500lb range.

So stop nit picking…….😉
Posted By: saddlesore Re: My PA elk - 05/12/24
First, if you’re going to reply to me you must go to my post and hit the “reply” button. Otherwise your post replies to oldtimer1.

Secondly, undoubtedly there are cow elk in the right habitat running around in the northern hemisphere that might hit 650lbs, just like there are women that are 6’-4” and weigh 250lbs in the human race.

Third, I’ve killed a number of 4-5 year bulls that barely hit 500 lbs.

Fourth, just like you I killed the smallest adult elk I ever killed last year, she might have hit 350lbs.

Lastly, the cow elk in the photos is a normal size, normal weight adult cow that is in the 500lb range.

So stop nit picking…….😉

Was not replying to you directly,only generally. but why does it bother you what someone say that is 1200 miles away. You called the guy a liar. What is it to you if it weighs 500 pounds or 650. You could have said congratulations and be on your way. The guy finally drew a coveted hard to draw PA tag and got his elk and you had to throw water on it. I'd say that was nit picking and cheap a shot. I always valued your post, but not this one.
Posted By: ldholton Re: My PA elk - 05/12/24
congratulations to the OP .

hell I didn't even know Pennsylvania had a huntable population of elk. never really give it much thought either though..

most people don't realize Missouri has a small 100 population of elk also nowadays..
not sure how many tags is given out in the state of Missouri but it's just a handful the same way with bear tags nowadays.
© 24hourcampfire