S
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Getting her out.

Skinning shed

It took 17 years of applying for a tag to get drawn. 155yds 30-06 150 grn bullet. Took two steps and went down. Approx 4 years old,650 lbs.
That's a huge elk. Big congrats to you, buddy. Thanks for sharing the pics. You would want to try some smoked elk meatloaf with candied bacon recipe.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Stammster
650 lbs might be a stretch.

Doubtful a 650 lb elk would fit in that plastic barrel sled.

Of the 10’s of thousands of cow elk I’ve seen , a few might have been pushing 600 lbs.

Although when critters like elk are in the right habitat, they can get bigger than when living in “normal” habitat.

Looks like he hauled it before gutting. It could very well be close to 650 pounds on the hoof. Eastern like in PA definitely get better food and the winters are not as harsh. I have had smaller mules about that size and they taped 650-700 pounds

If you look at the photo, there are three plastic barrels tied together

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/03/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
She’s nowhere near 650lbs…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like he's scared of getting bit standing that far away. Congratulations on killing a nice big cow. Damn sure better have orange on during the hunting season in Pennsylvania.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Since you seem to have such a strong opinion about it, how heavy do YOU think that cow was.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jk16

Since you seem to have such a strong opinion about it, how heavy do YOU think that cow was.

Having helped weigh two adult wild cow elk, and watch a couple domestic cow elk in squeeze chutes on a scale, plus seeing 50+ cow elk dead on the ground, I’m going to say ~ 500lbs.

Just like other wild critters from cougars to fish, we have a tendency to overestimate weights.

I have never seen a cow elk, alive or dead, that was more than 600 lbs.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Known fact that elk in Alberta and further north are bigger than Colorado elk. I have killed one and it was darn sure bigger than 6x6's I have killed here. Then too, although I have never killed elk in PA, I know they have better food, more of it and milder winters.

When I left PA 60 years ago, a nice buck might go 175 pounds. Now the bigger deer out of the hard woods and in farm country like SW PA, where I still have kin, routinely kill deer a lot bigger.

What does it matter. To even draw an elk tag on PA is not an easy thing. If the OP thinks his cow elk go went 650 pounds on the hoof, more power to him.I am not there and neither are others.

Congratulate him and quit nit picking. I tip my hat to him.

Last season, being 80 years old, solo hunt, I killed, dressed out a probably two year old cow. Probably didn't go 300 pounds. Had to get help to lift it on pack mules. It meant as much to me as the 7x8 bull hanging on my wall l killed 20 + years ago. Going to try it again this coming year if i draw a tag.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oldtimr1, congrats on a nice cow elk! It’s an awesome feat to get drawn and score in an Eastern state. Kentucky has a pretty decent elk population now also.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Known fact that elk in Alberta and further north are bigger than Colorado elk. I have killed one and it was darn sure bigger than 6x6's I have killed here. Then too, although I have never killed elk in PA, I know they have better food, more of it and milder winters.

When I left PA 60 years ago, a nice buck might go 175 pounds. Now the bigger deer out of the hard woods and in farm country like SW PA, where I still have kin, routinely kill deer a lot bigger.

What does it matter. To even draw an elk tag on PA is not an easy thing. If the OP thinks his cow elk go went 650 pounds on the hoof, more power to him.I am not there and neither are others.

Congratulate him and quit nit picking. I tip my hat to him.

Last season, being 80 years old, solo hunt, I killed, dressed out a probably two year old cow. Probably didn't go 300 pounds. Had to get help to lift it on pack mules. It meant as much to me as the 7x8 bull hanging on my wall l killed 20 + years ago. Going to try it again this coming year if i draw a tag.

Saddlesore,
First, if you’re going to reply to me you must go to my post and hit the “reply” button. Otherwise your post replies to oldtimer1.

Secondly, undoubtedly there are cow elk in the right habitat running around in the northern hemisphere that might hit 650lbs, just like there are women that are 6’-4” and weigh 250lbs in the human race.

Third, I’ve killed a number of 4-5 year bulls that barely hit 500 lbs.

Fourth, just like you I killed the smallest adult elk I ever killed last year, she might have hit 350lbs.

Lastly, the cow elk in the photos is a normal size, normal weight adult cow that is in the 500lb range.

So stop nit picking…….😉

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First, if you’re going to reply to me you must go to my post and hit the “reply” button. Otherwise your post replies to oldtimer1.

Secondly, undoubtedly there are cow elk in the right habitat running around in the northern hemisphere that might hit 650lbs, just like there are women that are 6’-4” and weigh 250lbs in the human race.

Third, I’ve killed a number of 4-5 year bulls that barely hit 500 lbs.

Fourth, just like you I killed the smallest adult elk I ever killed last year, she might have hit 350lbs.

Lastly, the cow elk in the photos is a normal size, normal weight adult cow that is in the 500lb range.

So stop nit picking…….😉

Was not replying to you directly,only generally. but why does it bother you what someone say that is 1200 miles away. You called the guy a liar. What is it to you if it weighs 500 pounds or 650. You could have said congratulations and be on your way. The guy finally drew a coveted hard to draw PA tag and got his elk and you had to throw water on it. I'd say that was nit picking and cheap a shot. I always valued your post, but not this one.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/11/24.

1 member likes this: Teeder
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
congratulations to the OP .

hell I didn't even know Pennsylvania had a huntable population of elk. never really give it much thought either though..

most people don't realize Missouri has a small 100 population of elk also nowadays..
not sure how many tags is given out in the state of Missouri but it's just a handful the same way with bear tags nowadays.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,565
Posts18,531,767
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.