Home
Posted By: WV_Airedale 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
Would a Nosler 140 gr Ballistic tip be adequate, or would a 140 gr Accubond be obviously better in performance?

Many thanks
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
Can't see why not, put one into the lungs and it will be fine. I have only shot deer so far with the 140 gr Ballistic Tip but have done a bullet test with it too, it will work fine at 6.5x55 speeds. The Accubond will hold on to it's core better but the Ballistic Tip will work.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
I have killed one bull elk and a bunch of deer and hogs with accubonds and have a lot of confidence in them. I also really like the Hornady 120 grain gmx,it would be just about ideal in my opinion.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
I would happily use a 130 AB, or 140 if my rifle liked it, but avoid directing at heavy bone. A 140 partition is a great all around bullet for the Swede. IME the round dotes on 140s.

See below for in-depth info...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4769172/1

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4848762/1

A Mono works great, but keep in mind the lighter weight slugs, at longer distances sizzle out faster...yet within their optimum impact velocity range, they have few peers.

Posted By: Azar Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
I've taken my 6.5x55 on an elk hunt but didn't end up connecting with one, so I can't say with any authority what will work best. But if I were to do it again my top two bullet choices would be 140g Partition and 120g Barnes TTSX.

Of the two you list, I'd lean toward the 140g Accubond. I prefer a stout bullet for elk and I think the Accubond would have the edge.
Posted By: Owl Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
What do the Swedes use for moose? Might want to check into that.

I think I saw a post of the fire about someone using 160grn round nose @ approx 2500 fps.

Maybe a Norma Oryx or Alaska in 156grn.

Might want to look at them

Jeff
Posted By: HatchieDawg Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/18/16
Accubond
or
Partition
Posted By: Tejano Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/25/16
I would practice with the Ballistic Tip and hunt with the Accubond. Usually you can work up to the same load for both or come close enough.

The Swede works well with a number of bullets due to being heavy for caliber plus moderate velocities.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by Tejano
I would practice with the Ballistic Tip and hunt with the Accubond. Usually you can work up to the same load for both or come close enough.

I would likely do the same.
I wouldn't be scared to use the 140 Ballistic Tip. My thoughts on "premium" bullets are rapidly changing...excluding the Partition.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/26/16
I prefer the 140 gr Partition but last year used a 142 gr. LRaccubond & it worked just like it should have. No complaints.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/26/16
One very good source of information is Nosler. Call them, ask to talk with a technician, ask what he thinks. Over many years I have found them experienced and knowledgeable.

A personal experience with the Nos BT. I had three shots on whitetail bucks. The 120 the Nos BT entered each behind the front shoulder and completely came apart inside. Dead deer after a short run. Very effective but no exit hole. I have since done some more shooting with them (120 Nos BT)and in the 6.5 at 3000fps muzzle velosity they come apart. I'd hope the 140 would be tougher. My son shoots 140 Nos BT from a .284 with great results. Partition, TTSX, Accubond would be, in my opinion, better choices.

A Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tip may be adequate but adequacy does not necessarily constitute better or best.

Best to you and I hope you have a great and successful hunt.

Jim
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/26/16
I think that it would be hard to top a 140 grain Partition for game bigger or tougher than deer in any non-magnum .264" bore cartridge, from 6.5 Creedmoor thru 6.5-06.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/27/16
I agree.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/27/16
Use the bullet the Swede was designed for and has killed countless Moose (known as Elk there). 160 gr cup and core softpoint. The best one made here is the Hornady 160 RN SP which expands 2 calibers and penetrates forever.

This speed goat was shot in the left front shoulder (broke it) went end to end and exited busting the right hip.

It also shoots 5 in 1" @100 in my Mauser built 96 Swede/Danish sniper in spite of the coarse reticle on the 6X Schmidt.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/27/16
Hi Larry! I see that you're back, again, with yet another new handle. You really are the proverbial bad penny that can't be passed.

jwgibson's post has you pegged!
Posted By: Stevil Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/27/16
Lapua make arguably the best heavy 6.5 bullets

Either the 140gr Naturalis or the 155gr Mega, both will double in size, retain almost 100% bullet weight and penetrate like nobodies business.

Ive used em on donkes, horse and 100kg hogs and ttheyve performed as expected everytime
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Larry Root = 1000is - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Hi Larry! I see that you're back, again, with yet another new handle. You really are the proverbial bad penny that can't be passed.

Bad penny that can't be passed? More like turd that can't be flushed.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Larry Root = 1000is - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Bad penny that can't be passed? More like turd that can't be flushed.

laugh

My 6.5x55 Mauser 98/Shilen really likes the 155 Mega.

May need to try it on WT's and hogs.

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Larry,

Apparently you haven't used the 160 Hornady much. I have, and while it will SOMETIMES penetrate well, sometimes it doesn't. Have seen it break both shoulders of a deer and exit, and not reach the far ribs on a broadside, behind-the-shoulder shot. Phil Shoemaker had similar experiences with them.

Apparently you're also running out of imagination for new Campfire aliases. 1000is? Really?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
John,

Larry is obviously a creative liar, otherwise he wouldn't have succeeded in fooling so many people over so many years.

In the words of jwgibson on 07/19/14:

"beware of deadbeat lying pompous ahole seller WYMTNRANGE on gunauctions.com

Larry Root
83 Antelope Trail
Pinedale, WY 82941
307-367-7711

embellishes and misrepresents his wares. Piss poor photos and hyper inflated prices. Do not believe me then check out his sales for yourselves. http://www.gunauction.com/shop/gunshop/wymtnrange
Read the descriptions and the remarks on some of his sale ads. unless you want to be rooked stay away from this unscrupulous seller."

I'm pretty sure that Larry will be by and criticize me for cutting and pasting, but ol' jwgibson wrote the Mona Lisa of reviews on Larry and there's no need trying to top perfection!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Larry,

Apparently you haven't used the 160 Hornady much. I have, and while it will SOMETIMES penetrate well, sometimes it doesn't. Have seen it break both shoulders of a deer and exit, and not reach the far ribs on a broadside, behind-the-shoulder shot. Phil Shoemaker had similar experiences with them.

Apparently you're also running out of imagination for new Campfire aliases. 1000is? Really?

I sort of took him for full of shipt, as soon as I saw him compare an 85 (?) Pound prog horn to a 750 pound and up elk and moose
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Being FOS is apparently Larry's life's ambition.
Posted By: smallfry Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
I had a 160 Hornady RN from a 6.5x55 stop inside a lengthwise shot on a Javelina. Regardless of the recovered diameter the projectile has a tremendous length that eats up a lot of energy while being plasticly deformed, even if the diameter is never excessive during expansion. This also part of the reason why many mono's penetrate deeper. Not only do bullets like the TTSX generaly have less frontal surface area, it takes less energy to bend it in position then to smash it.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16

While adding no substance to the actual subject matter, Larry was likely pulling a "Paddler."

He's probably just showing off his 96Swede/Danish sniper rifle, maybe even with plans to offer it for sale here soon. Betcha.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Probably got the scope at a Wal-Mart sale.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by 1000is Fairy Larry the Douchebag TROLL
Blah blah blah...

[Linked Image]

Goofy hat and rose tinted glasses. You go girl! grin
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I wouldn't be scared to use the 140 Ballistic Tip. My thoughts on "premium" bullets are rapidly changing...excluding the Partition.

Tell me more...

David
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16

Very well could be, and if so...he is a succesful man
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by 1000is
Use the bullet the Swede was designed for and has killed countless Moose (known as Elk there). 160 gr cup and core softpoint. The best one made here is the Hornady 160 RN SP which expands 2 calibers and penetrates forever.

This speed goat was shot in the left front shoulder (broke it) went end to end and exited busting the right hip.

It also shoots 5 in 1" @100 in my Mauser built 96 Swede/Danish sniper in spite of the coarse reticle on the 6X Schmidt.

[Linked Image]

Did you shoot that in a ditch next to the road? I see a fence right behind you. Not sure why anyone would want a fence in the background unless taking a photo from the other direction would show a road.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Petting zoo.

[Linked Image]
What's up, you old queer? Did you think I forgot about your bitch-ass? You ready to start sweating when I show up on your front yard again?
Posted By: jwall Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by Rug3

A personal experience with the Nos BT. I had three shots on whitetail bucks. The 120 the Nos BT entered each behind the front shoulder and completely came apart inside. Dead deer after a short run. Very effective but no exit hole. I have since done some more shooting with them (120 Nos BT)and in the 6.5 at 3000fps muzzle velosity they come apart.

Jim

Rug -

I just finished development in my Swede with the 120 NBT @ 3000 fps. I'm curious how recently your experience with those NBT was. OR

Are those bullets of 'older' lot or 'newer' ? I ordered mine last year and had to wait 6 mo.s to get them. I've read that the older manufactured ones were of light construction AND the newer ones are tougher.

I have NO opinion because I have not used them on any game yet. I prefer bullets to hold together so I'm hoping they work better than your experience.

Any info will be appreciated.

Jerry
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
WTH Bricktop is back?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Hate to abuse a great song on a goof like Larry but hey it's memorial weekend and great to be alive !

Posted By: gerry35 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by bellydeep
WTH Bricktop is back?

Like Root he also has another alias on this thread......
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/28/16
Holly phucqk it's like a time machine!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Would a Nosler 140 gr Ballistic tip be adequate, or would a 140 gr Accubond be obviously better in performance?

Many thanks

I'd work up the most consistently accurate load with the 140 gr Partition nearing 2800 fps and let fly with confidence in the elk woods.

I've never shot an elk with my Swede, but can't imagine why the above mentioned load wouldn't work, it has worked perfectly and with complete penetration on the few deer and one pig I've used it on.

A mild reporting/recoiling cartridge that can be shot accurately with ease! smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/29/16
Jerry,

The 6.5 120 Ballistic Tip has been a pretty tough bullet for at while now. The only one I've recovered acted like most of the under-.30 "hunting" BT's pulled from various animals in the past decade. It was shot into a pronghorn quartering toward me at around 200 yards, using a 6.5 Creedmoor. It entered the meat of the right shoulder, and was recovered from under the skin of the left hamm, retaining 59% of its weight.
Posted By: jwall Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/29/16
M D

Thank you sir.

As indicated there have been conflicting reports on the NBT performance. I appreciate your response on 'newer' NBTs.

I haven't tried any on game yet but I have a Plan B in my mind. I'm going to get some 120 Rem C Ls and test them for myself. I know that many/all bullets have undergone 'evolution' in the recent past.

All of my other CLs are vintage and they perform very well in the 270 W at 3100 fps.

Thnx again

Jerry
Posted By: rockchucker Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/30/16
ive killed 1 elk with my 6.5x55

it was a huge cow and i used a 120 ttsx through both shoulders at a tad under 300 yards. she flopped for 50 yards then dead.

wife shot 1 med. cow 125 yards 6.5 creedmoor 130 accubond did not exit off shoulder, but killed it. flopped about 30 yards.

hope it helps and good luck

a 140 federal blue box soft point would work well me think
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 05/30/16
Originally Posted by bellydeep

[Linked Image]

Did you shoot that in a ditch next to the road? I see a fence right behind you. Not sure why anyone would want a fence in the background unless taking a photo from the other direction would show a road.

Nothing wrong with dropping antelope in the barrow ditch if legal. Which it is no where..... Larry probably needed the electric fence to corral the goats for a shot!
Back to O.P. My bro used a 140 gr. partition on a nice hefty cow and at 200 yards she plopped right over.Through meaty part of one shoulder out the off side. Even 2800 fps muzzle velocity from his tikka it was very effective.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 06/10/16
140 Accubond, 140 partition, both a better bet. The 140 BT will work in a pinch if all goes well. However there is less room for error.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 06/11/16
Originally Posted by Fotis
140 Accubond, 140 partition, both a better bet. The 140 BT will work in a pinch if all goes well. However there is less room for error.

I agree with your choice of bullets and would go on to say that I think that the 1st shot with a small diameter bullet on larger game should be aimed to break the shoulder and anchor the animal, so that a 2nd shot can be taken to terminate the animal's life.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 06/18/16
Killed lots of Elk with a Partition, there is not a better bullet, right behind it is the AB, leave the ballistic tips for practice or at home. Make sure you hit them in the right place no matter what bullet you use.
Posted By: Rodell Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 06/21/16
I have had outstanding results with the 140 AB in my 6.5x55 with Red Stag. I would not be comfortable using a BT on anything bigger than deer.
Originally Posted by Bricktop

[Linked Image]
What's up, you old queer? Did you think I forgot about your bitch-ass? You ready to start sweating when I show up on your front yard again?

Go get em!!
Posted By: QuQ Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by Owl
What do the Swedes use for moose? Might want to check into that.

I think I saw a post of the fire about someone using 160grn round nose @ approx 2500 fps.

Maybe a Norma Oryx or Alaska in 156grn.

Might want to look at them

Jeff

Most likely due to a law that 156gr (10 grams) is the minimum for certain animals over there.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/03/16
At one time Federal had the 6.5x55 figured out pretty well with the 140gr partition in the Federal premium ammo line. While I shoot the 120gr Ballistic tips in reloads, I keep a few boxes of the 140gr Partitions just in case I decide to elk hunt with it, or loan it to someone.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by baltz526
At one time Federal had the 6.5x55 figured out pretty well with the 140gr partition in the Federal premium ammo line. While I shoot the 120gr Ballistic tips in reloads, I keep a few boxes of the 140gr Partitions just in case I decide to elk hunt with it, or loan it to someone.

Funny you mention it but that is the same combination I use in my wife's 6.5x55 but I handload both bullets instead. Years ago I used that Federal 140 gr Partition load in a couple of 6.5x55's I had and it was a great load. Too bad they dropped it, they chronographed a bit over 2600 fps which is where we are right now with the handloads.
Posted By: LowBC Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/03/16
HI Guys,

I can't comment on having shot Elk with the 6.5x55, none hear in Australia. However the 120 grain ballistic tips work very well on Pigs, Red-Chital Deer and knock feral donkey's on their butt. If that was all I had in my 260 and I saw an Elk, reckon I would pull the trigger based on my experience to date FWIW.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/07/16
Nosler does not recommend Ballistic Tips of any caliber for elk. I talked with Nosler about 3 months ago. Their advice is Accubonds or Partitions.
Posted By: RickyD Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/07/16
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Nosler does not recommend Ballistic Tips of any caliber for elk. I talked with Nosler about 3 months ago. Their advice is Accubonds or Partitions.
My Tikka's in the Swede, both shoot 130 Accubonds and 140 Partitions very well. I would tend towards the Partition as it has served me well in the past.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a 130 TSX. My guns shoot that bullet well, too, though I've not taken game with it. Has there been issues with expansion?

When shooting a .277 130 TSX out of a 270 WSM, game dies as if struck by lightening, but I also realize the Swede would not generate nearly the fps which could hamper expansion. Is this a known issue I don't know?
Posted By: micky Re: 6.5x55 Bullet for Elk - 07/08/16
My 6.5x55 loves the 155 Mega and I carried it on an elk hunt. Unfortunately no legal Bulls showed up so I could test performance.
© 24hourcampfire