Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

Larry is obviously a creative liar, otherwise he wouldn't have succeeded in fooling so many people over so many years.

In the words of jwgibson on 07/19/14:

"beware of deadbeat lying pompous ahole seller WYMTNRANGE on gunauctions.com

Larry Root
83 Antelope Trail
Pinedale, WY 82941
307-367-7711

embellishes and misrepresents his wares. Piss poor photos and hyper inflated prices. Do not believe me then check out his sales for yourselves. http://www.gunauction.com/shop/gunshop/wymtnrange
Read the descriptions and the remarks on some of his sale ads. unless you want to be rooked stay away from this unscrupulous seller."

I'm pretty sure that Larry will be by and criticize me for cutting and pasting, but ol' jwgibson wrote the Mona Lisa of reviews on Larry and there's no need trying to top perfection!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Larry,

Apparently you haven't used the 160 Hornady much. I have, and while it will SOMETIMES penetrate well, sometimes it doesn't. Have seen it break both shoulders of a deer and exit, and not reach the far ribs on a broadside, behind-the-shoulder shot. Phil Shoemaker had similar experiences with them.

Apparently you're also running out of imagination for new Campfire aliases. 1000is? Really?

I sort of took him for full of shipt, as soon as I saw him compare an 85 (?) Pound prog horn to a 750 pound and up elk and moose

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Being FOS is apparently Larry's life's ambition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I had a 160 Hornady RN from a 6.5x55 stop inside a lengthwise shot on a Javelina. Regardless of the recovered diameter the projectile has a tremendous length that eats up a lot of energy while being plasticly deformed, even if the diameter is never excessive during expansion. This also part of the reason why many mono's penetrate deeper. Not only do bullets like the TTSX generaly have less frontal surface area, it takes less energy to bend it in position then to smash it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

While adding no substance to the actual subject matter, Larry was likely pulling a "Paddler."

He's probably just showing off his 96Swede/Danish sniper rifle, maybe even with plans to offer it for sale here soon. Betcha.

Last edited by Wyogal; 05/28/16.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Probably got the scope at a Wal-Mart sale.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1000is Fairy Larry the Douchebag TROLL
Blah blah blah...

[Linked Image]

Goofy hat and rose tinted glasses. You go girl! grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I wouldn't be scared to use the 140 Ballistic Tip. My thoughts on "premium" bullets are rapidly changing...excluding the Partition.

Tell me more...

David

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Very well could be, and if so...he is a succesful man

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1000is
Use the bullet the Swede was designed for and has killed countless Moose (known as Elk there). 160 gr cup and core softpoint. The best one made here is the Hornady 160 RN SP which expands 2 calibers and penetrates forever.

This speed goat was shot in the left front shoulder (broke it) went end to end and exited busting the right hip.

It also shoots 5 in 1" @100 in my Mauser built 96 Swede/Danish sniper in spite of the coarse reticle on the 6X Schmidt.

[Linked Image]

Did you shoot that in a ditch next to the road? I see a fence right behind you. Not sure why anyone would want a fence in the background unless taking a photo from the other direction would show a road.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Petting zoo.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1000is
Use the bullet the Swede was designed for and has killed countless Moose (known as Elk there). 160 gr cup and core softpoint. The best one made here is the Hornady 160 RN SP which expands 2 calibers and penetrates forever.

This speed goat was shot in the left front shoulder (broke it) went end to end and exited busting the right hip.

It also shoots 5 in 1" @100 in my Mauser built 96 Swede/Danish sniper in spite of the coarse reticle on the 6X Schmidt.

[Linked Image]
What's up, you old queer? Did you think I forgot about your bitch-ass? You ready to start sweating when I show up on your front yard again?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rug3

A personal experience with the Nos BT. I had three shots on whitetail bucks. The 120 the Nos BT entered each behind the front shoulder and completely came apart inside. Dead deer after a short run. Very effective but no exit hole. I have since done some more shooting with them (120 Nos BT)and in the 6.5 at 3000fps muzzle velosity they come apart.

Jim

Rug -

I just finished development in my Swede with the 120 NBT @ 3000 fps. I'm curious how recently your experience with those NBT was. OR

Are those bullets of 'older' lot or 'newer' ? I ordered mine last year and had to wait 6 mo.s to get them. I've read that the older manufactured ones were of light construction AND the newer ones are tougher.

I have NO opinion because I have not used them on any game yet. I prefer bullets to hold together so I'm hoping they work better than your experience.

Any info will be appreciated.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WTH Bricktop is back?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hate to abuse a great song on a goof like Larry but hey it's memorial weekend and great to be alive !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep
WTH Bricktop is back?

Like Root he also has another alias on this thread......

Gerry.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Holly phucqk it's like a time machine!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Would a Nosler 140 gr Ballistic tip be adequate, or would a 140 gr Accubond be obviously better in performance?

Many thanks

I'd work up the most consistently accurate load with the 140 gr Partition nearing 2800 fps and let fly with confidence in the elk woods.

I've never shot an elk with my Swede, but can't imagine why the above mentioned load wouldn't work, it has worked perfectly and with complete penetration on the few deer and one pig I've used it on.

A mild reporting/recoiling cartridge that can be shot accurately with ease! smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

The 6.5 120 Ballistic Tip has been a pretty tough bullet for at while now. The only one I've recovered acted like most of the under-.30 "hunting" BT's pulled from various animals in the past decade. It was shot into a pronghorn quartering toward me at around 200 yards, using a 6.5 Creedmoor. It entered the meat of the right shoulder, and was recovered from under the skin of the left hamm, retaining 59% of its weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D

Thank you sir.

As indicated there have been conflicting reports on the NBT performance. I appreciate your response on 'newer' NBTs.

I haven't tried any on game yet but I have a Plan B in my mind. I'm going to get some 120 Rem C Ls and test them for myself. I know that many/all bullets have undergone 'evolution' in the recent past.

All of my other CLs are vintage and they perform very well in the 270 W at 3100 fps.

Thnx again

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/28/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.